OT- House hunting stinks!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

OT- House hunting stinks!

So, this post is just sort of a vent, but I seriously give MAJOR kudos to all of you lovely ladies who have gone thru the house-hunting process. I honestly can say it has been one of the most emotional experiences in my life.

FI have been searching seriously since Jan, and after 2 rejections, we FINALLY found a GORGEOUS raised ranch in the town of Natick, that was the most amazing house we had seen in all of the hunt (and this is after seeing what feels like 100+ houses). It was about 1,900 sq/ft, had a $50,000 newly renovated kitchen, big yard, just everything we wanted. We put an offer in, it got accepted and we were over the moon. Then about 2 days later we were driving thru the neighborhood and noticed this weird sign that said "NStar EMF Zone." And it listed all these cases of cancers in the neighborhood in the past 10 years. 6 breasts, 2 brain (both deceased), 2 lymphoma, 1 ovarian. And is scared the sh*t out of us, naturally.

So, then we drove down the street a little more and noticed that there were these huge towers that were connecting power lines for what looked like miles and miles. We totally missed this before we put the offer on the house. We drove home and researched the crap out of and Google pulled up about 10 articles and even some videos on this ONE neighborhood (4 streets) where the neighbors have been complaining about NStar adding more voltage to these powerlines, and in this specific neighborhood, reports of cancers have been popping up. Scary, scary stuff. Needless to say we were devastated.

Anyway, I was so upset, but then I got furious as NStar for doing this to the community. Anyway, sorry for this long post. I just hope everyone has a much easier house hunt than us! We sold our condo today, and now have until September 2nd to find a new home! We are looking at two houses tonight...wish us luck! :)

http://www.csnchicago.com/pages/landing_hawktalk_v3?blockID=149237&tagID=22794

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Re: OT- House hunting s*cks!

Wow, Peonie, that stinks.  I assume you were able to get out of your offer and hopefully not lose the deposit?

I know when we were house hunting, we always drove around each neighborhood a ton to see what was nearby.  We did see a few houses near big powerlines liek that and I immediately vetoed them.  I think the research is mixed on it, but it is never worth taking a chance in my mind.

Good luck with house hunting!  It was really frustrating for us too, until we found the perfect house!  You just need one to work out! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

We lost $1,000, but thank God we pulled out before PNS or even closing. I can't even imagine the nightmare we would have been in if we didn't realize beforehand. I feel so angry about it, and never thought anything about powerlines. I feel like contacting Erin Brockovich!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rirlo01. Show Rirlo01's posts

So sorry, Peonie.  Such a bummer to find what you think is The One, and then realize it's not right.  

For what it's worth, you can take comfort in the fact that a good contract will protect you should something like this happen further into the process with the next house you decide to purchase.  You should have both an inspection contingency and a financing contingency. Either one can sort of save you if you decide there's something about the house that makes it the wrong one for you.  

I'm curious as to whether you might have saved some money had you gone ahead with your inspection and then backed out.  Ask your realtor so you can be sure he/she is actively looking out for your best interest!  If you put down $1K with your offer and then pay $300 or $400 (price varies, but you can go bare bones if it's your "out") for an inspection, I think you can use *anything* about that inspection to say, "No, thanks!" and recoup your $1K.  Then, you're out only the cost of the inspection.  

Just food for thought as you continue your search.  I went through a very traumatic experience, too, so I find myself giving this stuff a lot (perhaps too much) thought!  Good luck!  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Peonie, so sorry!! We just bought a house, and it's still hard to believe we own a house!  It was a long process with bumps along the way.  
        You are lucky you were not further along in the process and could get out quick.  We found houses like the one you described and they all seemed too good to be true. We did lots of google street views before even going for a showing and ruled places out before we even went for a showing.  Power lines and sub stations are scary stuff, nothing to compromise on.   
       After losing houses by being outbid people told us, "don't worry you'll find the right place" or "it wasn't meant to be" and I wanted to kill them.  But eventually you'll find and it then find fault with the other places you liked.  We thought we lost our dream house and then after being out bid we realized we didn't like the town as much as we thought and that we would have been eating PB&J for years. 
       Keep your spirits up, and good luck. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from isabellac3017. Show isabellac3017's posts

In Response to OT- House hunting s*cks!:
    So, this post is just sort of a vent, but I seriously give MAJOR kudos to all of you lovely ladies who have gone thru the house-hunting process. I honestly can say it has been one of the most emotional experiences in my life. FI have been searching seriously since Jan, and after 2 rejections, we FINALLY found a GORGEOUS raised ranch in the town of Natick, that was the most amazing house we had seen in all of the hunt (and this is after seeing what feels like 100+ houses). It was about 1,900 sq/ft, had a $50,000 newly renovated kitchen, big yard, just everything we wanted. We put an offer in, it got accepted and we were over the moon. Then about 2 days later we were driving thru the neighborhood and noticed this weird sign that said "NStar EMF Zone." And it listed all these cases of cancers in the neighborhood in the past 10 years. 6 breasts, 2 brain (both deceased), 2 lymphoma, 1 ovarian. And is scared the sh*t out of us, naturally. So, then we drove down the street a little more and noticed that there were these huge towers that were connecting power lines for what looked like miles and miles. We totally missed this before we put the offer on the house. We drove home and researched the crap out of and Google pulled up about 10 articles and even some videos on this ONE neighborhood (4 streets) where the neighbors have been complaining about NStar adding more voltage to these powerlines, and in this specific neighborhood, reports of cancers have been popping up. Scary, scary stuff. Needless to say we were devastated. Anyway, I was so upset, but then I got furious as NStar for doing this to the community. Anyway, sorry for this long post. I just hope everyone has a much easier house hunt than us! We sold our condo today, and now have until September 2nd to find a new home! We are looking at two houses tonight...wish us luck! :) http://www.csnchicago.com/pages/landing_hawktalk_v3?blockID=149237&tagID=22794
    Posted by Peonie

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from isabellac3017. Show isabellac3017's posts

Peoni, 

I think you have a legitimate reason to back out of the sale.  If you have an
    attorney, have him call the broker involved.  If you have a Buyer's Broker, she should have told you about the EMF Zone.  Her job is to tell you about any

defects in the house or neighborhood that she knows about.  The broker

and the seller have a responsibility to the buyer.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Our realtor didn't know anything about the power lines. In fact, we found this house ourselves on Zip, and went to an open house without her and put the offer in without her ever even seeing it. The realtor agent on the other end is being a complete @$$ about it, though. Giving our realtor a really hard time, calling the people who put the sign up in their yard crack heads, and telling us we can not get our $1,000 down payment back. We had an inspection scheduled for today, but canceled it once we decided that we were not taking the house.

We are all done with it, and have made peace with it, but honestly, it is just insane. I think I am more shocked than sad.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from isabellac3017. Show isabellac3017's posts

In Response to Re: OT- House hunting s*cks!:
    Our realtor didn't know anything about the power lines. In fact, we found this house ourselves on Zip, and went to an open house without her and put the offer in without her ever even seeing it. The realtor agent on the other end is being a complete @$$ about it, though. Giving our realtor a really hard time, calling the people who put the sign up in their yard crack heads, and telling us we can not get our $1,000 down payment back. We had an inspection scheduled for today, but canceled it once we decided that we were not taking the house. We are all done with it, and have made peace with it, but honestly, it is just insane. I think I am more shocked than sad.
    Posted by Peonie

I would follow up with a call from my attorney to the broker who took your offer.
    I think the sellers or the broker should have disclosed whatever they knew.
    $1,000 is a lot of money and it should be returned to you. Otherwise the
    seller gets to keep it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

That is a pain but atleast you found this out now, rather than later! We've been in our house a year now (wow that flew by) and I remember going through this process and seeing some really crap places thinking we'd never find anything we wanted and could afford. It gets depressing sometimes but it will all work out for the best in the end. We almost walked away from our house before the seller decided to reach a deal with us. We put in one other offer that we ended up losing on. We were renting at the time and two weeks before we had to give notice at the place we living we found our house. Talk about last minute! Good luck!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Also on a house you are interested in please check it out different times during the day.  The realtor's description of something may be totally different from what expect.  It was important for us to have "true" idea of the neighbor hood from our eyes not the eyes of someone trying to see us the house.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

That's crap, Peonie.  I'm sorry.  One of my friends put in something crazy like 11 offers before she found her place - she kept getting outbid (that was in CA, though).  It's a tough process.

Ajuly - what's wrong with living near a subway station?  Don't you want to live near the T?  Or are you talking about literally having the entrance outside your front door?

ETA:  How funny is it that I can say "That's crap," but not "That s*cks"?  Sealed

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

I think she means a power/utility sub station not the subway.
    But I know I do not and will not ever want to live near the subway/train station.
    Personal preference.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from randy07. Show randy07's posts

One suggestion. FIND ANOTHER REALTOR! Any realtor who sits back and lets you do all the work yourself and then just wants to write up an offer is not earning her commission. Her job is to be with you when you see the houses and help you determine the best neighborhoods and prices for you. She is a lazy realtor and none of this would have happened if she did her job the right way. That's why people hate real estate brokers! 

What did she do to help you? She should pay you the $1000 out of her pocket for her "malpractice"  A buyer should never lose a deposit over something like that and the seller's broker has all the ammunition because yours didn't do her job.  Beware of Zip Realty. That's how they can afford to "give money back"  They don't do anything.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

It really is an awful process, but totally worth it once you're settled in your place. It'll be two years in Sept. for us, and we looove having our house. 

I wouldn't recommend the realtor we used; the realtor, attorney, and broker were all bloodsucking vultures, and they all seemed to be in bed together and finding new and exciting ways to s c r e w us. 

Do as much research as you can on the process, and then you'll have a good defense against all of the crap. I'm sorry about losing your place--but there will be another (and healthier!) option. Hang in there!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Hi Peonie,

Yeah, I don't want to tell you what to do, but I kind of agree with Randy.  It really helps to work with a knowledgable Realtor.  We were pretty independent in our search too (and I love Ziprealty's website for access to listings), but we used a really good agent and she was invaluable through the process.  The fact that your realtor wrote up the offer without seeing the house raises big red flags in my mind.  Using a buyer's agent is awesome because you get all the benefit of their help, but the seller pays their commission.

In case you are interested, I love our Realtor and I'm happy to recommend her.  I've recommended her to a few people who have used her and also been very happy with her.  She works out of Waltham, but knows a lot of the Boston area. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

In Response to Re: OT- House hunting s*cks!:
    I think she means a power/utility sub station not the subway. But I know I do not and will not ever want to live near the subway/train station. Personal preference.
    Posted by allreadymarried

Ok, thanks.

I refuse to pay $400+/month for parking near my office, so I have to live within walking distance of (although not necessarily on top of) the T. But I can certainly understand why people might want to be a bit further away.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

that really stinks Peonie. If it helps you any, I've heard the problems in some parts Natick may stem from soil pollutants from the army base (mainly lead from bullets leeching) and not the powerlines. Still a good call to back out though. It's worth the peace of mind.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

haha lucy, no, i did not mean the t.  i used to live pretty close by three t lines until we moved to the burbs!  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Well, all's well that ends well. We got an accepted offer on a beautiful house in Arlington today! Crossing fingers it sticks! Purchase and sale is next Friday, then I will feel a HUGE sigh of relief.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Awesome Peonie, we looked there too, and never found anything! Congrats to you!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

Congratulations!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

congrats and best wishes for a smooth closing process!