Planning a wedding while working

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Planning a wedding while working

Does anyone have advice on how to plan a wedding while working full-time? What I mean is, how do you get in touch with venues and vendors and when do you meet with people? My work situation is that it is very difficult to make personal phone calls at all during the day. Is it acceptable to make calls in the evenings/weekends or is email the better option? Are most people accommodating about making appointments on the weekends?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Re: Planning a wedding while working

I pretty much planned my entire wedding via email, it can be done. But a lot of places will accomodate and meet with you in the evening or on weekends. Just clal them and ask, if you call after hours you can leave a message and send a follow up email.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

Is it possible for you to call during lunch? I don't know if they are available most evenings since they work full-time all weekend. Can you do some of this by email? I was able to correspond a lot with my vendors by email.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

I also work full-time and had no problem planning our wedding.  I can make personal phone calls once in awhile, but it's not easy since where I'm located everyone in the office can hear.  Email was easy enough though.

I'm pretty sure that every vendor meeting we had was either at night or on the weekends.  They were all very accomodating.  I think they all tend to schedule their meetings on nights or weekends, since that's what easiest for most people.

The other thing I learned while planning our wedding is to delegate!  When people offer to help you, take them up on it.  Your FI, mom, mother-in-law, whoever.  Even if it's just to make a couple phone calls, drop off a payment, etc.  Every little bit helps!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Good to hear that email is acceptable. I will probably do that mostly. Calling at lunch is hard because I work right in downtown and it is so noisy outside! There is absolutely no place in the office to make personal phone calls either.

Does it take a very long time to choose a venue? We are starting to find some that we want to look at but are not sure how many to see in a day and even how many to look at in total.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

[QUOTE]Does it take a very long time to choose a venue? We are starting to find some that we want to look at but are not sure how many to see in a day and even how many to look at in total.
    Posted by cicirose[/QUOTE]

It took us about a month, and I think we looked at 4 venues.  Do some research beforehand to narrow it down.  Find out which places have dates open that you would want, are in your price range, and can fit the amount of guests you're going to have.  Don't even bother checking out places that don't fit your needs.

And if you give the ladies on these boards some details about what you're looking for, I'm sure they can offer you plenty of suggestions!  :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I did a lot of leg work looking for venues online.  We looked and looked, and found a few that we were interested in.  Funny enough, we found our venue and it was the first one we looked at.  Like the dress! 

I have to say, I've done ALL my wedding planning while working.  I e-mail my vendors and do a lot of research online.  I am out in the open in my work space, so making personal calls isn't always easy.  Luckily, a lot of people e-mail :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Most vendors would meet on weekends or after work, and I emailed everyone. We got engaged August 27 and had our venue by September 12. I did some research online then we visited our favorite first and loved it immediately.

Wedding planning is as easy or as difficult as you make it--have fun with it!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

We did most vendor meetings on Sunday mornings or weekday evenings (pretty late--usually 8 pm or after).  So many people plan a wedding while working.  We did.  I'm sure you can too!

We got a lot of venue info over email.  We only actually toured two of them, because we felt so happy with the second one that we just booked it.  We knew we were getting a good deal based on our email quotes from other places.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

I did almost everything over email and snail mail.

I never spoke to my ceremony musicians in person or met with them prior to the wedding, and they were flawless. Any questions I had for my venue, I emailed them, same with all my other vendors. My invitations, placecards, table numbers, etc were done solely over email. All my vendors I did meet with, I did it on the weekends, they didnt have any problem with it.

Email is my preferred method of communication - quick, easy and a written record of what happened!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from twinklie12. Show twinklie12's posts

I'm working full time, getting my MBA part time, working on selling a condo, and trying to buy a house - wedding planning can still be done!  I have done a fair amounht on weekends, weekdays after work (when i don't have class), or over email.  You can totally do it with the help of all of these ladies on the wedding boards.  They've been so helpful for me so far!  :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Oh it can be done! I am just at the beginning, but so far we have our venue, photographer, and my dress. We booked our venue on a weeknight, and met with our photographer on a Saturday afternoon. Oh, we also have our florist, whom I met with after work (didn't need FI for that, lol). I am also in the middle of a new job search and interviewing!

We plan on getting our invites online, so that will help. And my FI will take care of the band and honeymoon! It is all about splitting tasks to it can all get done!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

I did everything at work.  I'm stuck here 10 hours a day, so if I didn't get done what I could here it wouldn't have happened. 

I did most everything by email.  For venues, I requested info via email/regular mail and narrowed down places that way before I met with anyone or spoke to them on the phone.

I met with all of my vendors either after work or on the weekends.  The only time I had to leave work for something wedding related was 2 weeks before my wedding when I had to meet with my venue and caterer to go over the floor plan, etc.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Of course it can be done - use email/websites as much as possible.  Most vendors understand that couples also work/have lives so can be flexible re meeting times etc.

As another poster has said though, it can be as stress-free or as stressful as you  choose to make it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Thanks for the suggestions! I just wanted to make sure that the people working in these industries are available to meet during the weekends and actually respond to emails. A lot of my friends and relatives took time off work to plan their weddings so I was under the impression that everything had to be done during the work week.

Good news is that I emailed some of the places we're interested in and we have appointments this weekend. Can't wait!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Good luck!  Keep us posted.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

Like most of the girls, I did MOST of my wedding planning at work!  (don't tell my boss!!)  Yes, most venues and vendors are happy to do email.  I'm in a similar situation - nearly impossible to make calls during working hours.  It took us about 2 months to pick a venue and we looked at 13 venues, I think.  I was lucky because DH works from home, so if a phone call absolutlely had to be made, he'd make it.

I'm pretty much at a loss now with nothing to plan at work!  I miss it, in a way.  What, you mean I have to focus on this stuff on my desk??? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

I hate to come off like a Scrooge - but I hate working with other staff and student interns  who are planning their weddings and think 5 minutes once or twice a day during work time is fine.  It always becomes 15 to 40 minutes not working, 5 or more times a day, most days.  For months.  After the 20 minutes talking with a vendor, they need to talk to or email 4 people, or put all the info in their log or notepad for later.  And people wait.  Taxi drivers who charge by the minute after a 5 minute wait,  make patients who started a session 20 minutes late (and will be billed for full services) crazy, paying 15 dollars or more because they sat and waited while some ninny worked a keyboard or phone.
         I've lived through 4 in 2 years, and when asked to supervise another PT doing rotations before her license, I interviewed her.  After an hour when she mostly talked wedding, wedding, and how nice the center had no blocks on computers because now and then...so I refused to have her.  I offered to have a flexible schedule.     If she wants to do all 36 required hours a week in 4 days to have a full weekday off every week for planning, fine.  But none at work, ever, except when out to lunch in the separate break area.  She thought me unreasonable.  Told me wedding planning would be impossible.
         Patients waiting for medically oriented treatments scheduled by the half hour or hour hate being kept waiting 20 minutes because someone said, I'll be with you in 2 minutes, disappeared to make a call or go on line, and lost track of time.  When 15 people (workers) depend on 4 phone lines and 2 cable connections, each is supposedly with patients or other clients 95 % of the time.  Just having  3 or 4 people constantly doing personal business slow down all medical records and test  results  transmissions, clients making calls get busy signals. 
         It truly is possible to take an occasional 2 hours or day of benefit time, and do most stuff on non-work time.  You won't risk losing a good job or reference or pay increase if you keep separate work and home.  I did it, the other ladies here include many who managed.  You are starting out right.  Plan and make appointments on your time.  Works for you, and for work.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Honestly, I couldn't agree with you more.  You get paid to work, not to plan your wedding.  Plan your wedding on your own time. 

It's different from taking a few minutes here and there to check your email, because the wedding planning process just takes over everything else.  And it's not fair to your coworkers who get paid the same, yet have to pick up your slack because they aren't planning weddings.

Do what you can on your lunch hour.  Otherwise, send emails, letters, etc. after you get home for the night.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

I disagree.

Unfortunately, the world operates on a 9-5 M-F schedule. I don't have a lunch hour. No other way to get around it--I'll have to send an email or two during work, just like occasionally I'll have to call my doctor or get an oil change.

If you're not finished with your work, don't leave until you are. But everyone takes breaks during the day; people aren't robots.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

You'd be surprised at what you can accomplish on a lunch hour!
    I had to do a lot of planning on my own because DH was working retail at the time, so we didn't have the same days off.
    like WPP, it's only as hard or as easy as you make it. You can delegate certain things (like make FI responsible for the tuxes, limo and honeymoon) and you can go without certain things (I had an iPod for a DJ and I made my own bouquets and centerpieces and it was actually pretty easy and I saved a lot of money)
    And you can also search for a venue that has a lot of thinsg bundled in a package, so you don't have to search for a florist, cake, caterer on your own.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

I disagree as well.  I can understand to some extent whatawag because she is in a very different profession than I would dare say many of us are.  There are certain professions which quite frankly you probably will find it virtually impossible to plan during working hours, those professions are very much service orientated (doctors, nurses, hair stylist, aesthetician, cashiers etc).    But if you have a run of the mill office job then it probably is not going to be as much of an issue because as WPP says you stay until the job is done.

There were times when I was in the middle of a huge project and guess what that was the time where I didn't do wedding related stuff during the work day.  And there were days there I had down time, while I was waiting on a componet from another person.  It is called a work life balance, and you need to be able to judge what it is based on what your job requires of you.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

In Response to Re: Planning a wedding while working:
    [QUOTE] If you're not finished with your work, don't leave until you are. But everyone takes breaks during the day; people aren't robots.
    Posted by WhirledPeasPlease[/QUOTE]

I agree with that.  I have no problems with little breaks once in awhile. We need to do it - my doctor recommends five minutes of stretching and walking around every hours. 

However, I have problems with my coworker who would sit on the phone with clients chatting about the wedding planning process for an hour while I helped the 30 people who were waiting.  The concern is that wedding planning just takes over everything else, and becomes much more than little breaks here or there.  Everyone thinks they can balance, but most of them don't.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Some depends on the work you do.  There was a rather famous malpractice or licensing issue brought up a couple of years ago in Boston involving a surgeon who finished part of a procedure, then left to go cross town, take care of some financial business, then came back to finish with the patient still in the OR.  It did not matter that they wanted results on some tests, or that the anaesthesiologist was a fully qualified physician, or that if the patient tanked, there were other doctors  in the hospital.  The surgeon belonged there.  Not at a bank or stock brokers office.
         If you mostly work on the phone or computer, and with paper, have no people waiting, and decide on how your work gets done - it is your call.   But a nurse who starts giving 20 patients meds and insulin shots 30 minutes late, because she has to get her special  tablecloth overlays ordered, or a PT who leaves a fragile stroke patient  unattended in a 4 ft deep heated whirlpool for 40 min when they are supposed to be out after 10 min?    Many jobs require constant uninterrupted attention except on sanctioned breaks.
         I found, as a bride, but also earlier working catering and Inns, most vendors who work a lot evenings and weekends, also can make other weekend and evening time available for meetings, and phone discussions.  It usually just takes an email exchange to set it up.  Florist shops may close at 6pm, but florists arrange flowers for the next day after hours.  Caterers, seamstresses, all you need is an emailed arrangement in advance that bypasses the answering machine  announcing they are closed.  For a job prospect, they arrange entry for a meeting or mutually convenient times for calls.  All venues and hotels are open some hours for new clients, some evenings and weekends.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

I agree about the being paid to work and not plan a wedding. In my job, there are times that I am waiting for things and don't have much to do so I can look around on the internet (like right now). But because of the people sitting around me I can't be on the phone constantly and distracting them. I worked with a couple girls that did that and it drove me crazy and my new boss just wouldn't allow that anyway.

FI and I look at websites and discuss things when we get home from work. He doesn't want me to just go ahead and schedule things without him and he is seldomly at his desk during the day so neither of us can do much until after work or the weekends.

It is a little frustrating that a couple of the places we want to look at did not respond to my emails yet but there are so many nice places in our area that it's not a big loss.