Websites/Locations for finding a wedding dress

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvbug721. Show luvbug721's posts

Websites/Locations for finding a wedding dress

I am looking for advice on websites to check out dress styles and what are some dress shop recommendations you may have since I have no clue where to even start.  We live in the Braintree/Quincy area but am willing to travel anywhere (MA only of course).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Re: Websites/Locations for finding a wedding dress

I know that the  wedding channel has something where it suggests style based on your body type [ie, A line, mermaid, trumpet, etc].  Some styles suit certain body types better than another.  You can just go to any shop and start trying dresses on if you want to see how different cuts work on your body.  Once you narrow down the cut of dress you want [ie, A line, ballgown, etc], then you can start shopping for actual dresses.  Don't try on a particular dress that is outside of your price range b/c you will inevitably fall in love with it. :-)  You could swing by any David's Bridal and just start trying on different dresses if you wanted to get a feel for what dress cuts you like.  Then, go visit various boutiques to look at actual dresses. 

I can't give you any suggestions for particular stores on the S. Shore, but I'm sure someone can.  Have fun!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

Since your just starting out I would check martha stewarts weddings and the the knot to just get a feel of the type of dresses that are out there now.  Plus the great thing about these sites if you find dress your like, it will give you information about stores that sell them.

Good luck!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zenbat. Show zenbat's posts

Also, try looking at various blogs/magazines for pictures of weddings you like in general. I found it easier to decide whether I liked particular styles of dresses by looking at them in context. You may also stumble across a style and/or designer that you might not otherwise find scrolling through pictures of dresses on theknot.com.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

luvbug,
    Don't listen to some-guy.  I found my dress on Amazon brand new for $79.  It's not always about money, he just doesn't seem to like weddings.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Well, actually, I remembered her first thread, too, and wondered if posting about the consignment shop where I got my gown would be what she had in mind.

But, fwiw, I got my gown at VOWS in Newton.  They have new sample dresses of street/jean size 0 - 12.  Some are discontinued or whatever, but my $8000 (as guessed by my very experienced wedding seamstress, not told to me by the store) dress was $700.

Oh, speaking of sizes, try not to freak out when you find out how "huge" you are according to wedding dress sizes.  For whatever reason the industry decided to mark them all 2 or 3 sizes smaller than your regular clothes.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

At least he didn't create a brand new username just to heckle...

Anyway, your best bet is to go, look at, and try on dresses with an open mind. David's is a good place to start, because they carry a lot of options. You may think you know what styles will work for your figure, but then be sorely disappointed when you get them on your frame. Or vice versa, be pleasantly surprised when something works that you didn't think would.

Once you know the style/cut that will work for you, then you can start looking at places for the details you want. Good luck.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

For some reason, it wouldn't take my old one.  Don't comment much on these boards much anymore.  I don't consider what I did heckling.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Portlandia1. Show Portlandia1's posts

I second Vows in Newton. They have amazing deals on designer dresses. And, if you are not a sample size (like most of us,) they have a house designer who makes a limited number of dresses per size. These are high quality dresses at reasonable prices. I couldn't believe the difference from other places that I shopped. The quality of the dresses was apparent. I knew I was walking out with a dress that day. Oh, and that's another benefit, you actually walk out with a dress - perfect for those planning a wedding in six months or less. The website is bridepowerdotcom.

Good luck!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

My advice (if you are just looking for an idea) would be to google "wedding dresses" and just look through the images.  If you see something you like, the pic might tell you what the web site is.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

In Response to Re: Websites/Locations for finding a wedding dress:
    [QUOTE]Pretty hard to forget a post like that, where someone is just so outwardly self important. Calling someone a loser is a personal attack, watch it or you'll be reported..
    Posted by some-guy[/QUOTE]
    You really remind me of the creepy guy at the playground with no kids...you have no real business being there but like to lurk for some sick pleasure of your own.

Honestly, if you're not planning a wedding, in a wedding, paying for a wedding, designing a wedding, find a forum for angry men who apparently can't find someone else to use as a sounding board for all your bottled up issues.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Kinga, he's posted before about his twins on other boards.  He actually does have kids [or at least I believe his statements that he does b/c I otherwise don't know the guy].

Either ignore him or report him if you think he's violated the terms of use.  He can make some snide comments on some threads, but he also makes tons of sense on others.  If you don't respond to his posts, he probably won't make many more comments on that particular thread. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

some-guy knows an awful lot about kids and gives great advice in Parents (I mean, ahem BDC, MOMS) to not have kids.  I'm sure he actually does.

His screen name is relatively new, but he's not, and he's not going anywhere.  The worst I can accuse him of is rudeness from being overly blunt with his oft disagreeable opinions, but I can't think of an instance in the years I've "known" him to violate BDC policy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Websites/Locations for finding a wedding dress : Wow, kinga, you're just nasty, aren't you? Go back and see where I wrote for the record, I have kids. Good for you, you're planning a wedding.  If you feel I don't belong here because I'm not actively planning a wedding (hooray for me) then I guess all the other people who already have been married don't belong either?  Are you thick??? And I don't understand what "Third off, do you honestly have time to read all the categories on Boston.com?" matters to you?  There are some people in this very thread whose name appears much more than mine across the board. You're even more indignant and immature than some other posters who figuratively stomp their feet when they're not getting their way.  So just calm down and act like a big kid, OK?

I don't stomp my feet, I just feel that unless you have advice that is relatively constructive for the future bride asking a question, you really should refrain from chiming in. I'm really trying, but I just can't comprehend the fact that someone would voluntarily spend their time in a wedding board looking to harass women (and some men) in their time of great joy. This is where I beg you to get a hobby to fill that gap in your life. Luvbug is obviously in a better financial position than you are which doesn't justify you putting her down. Jealously is an ugly thing, and from what I can tell, you're no looker yourself.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvbug721. Show luvbug721's posts

Thank you to all who were able to provide great advice.  I'm amazed at some of the gowns at Vows in Newton, will definitely be making that my 1st stop.  I actually found quite a few dresses at Country Wedding in Hingham as well so I will definitely be checking out that place too.  Thanks again ladies :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

[QUOTE]Now this is getting interesting. So from a handful of message board posts, you know what my financial position is and what I look like?  That's some talent, lady - you're wasting your time here for sure. Being willing to spend a lot of money on something like a wedding and being ABLE to spend a lot of money on other things is very different. You have no idea what I make, but let me tell you, it's alot.  I live in the county with the 2nd highest per capita income in the country.  My wife stays home with our kids.  I have a big house, a driveway full of cars, mouths to feed, and a department to run - and it's all done on my work.  So your implication of jealousy is dead wrong. So, what would you like to discuss next?

"You're right about that, but luvbug721 has a self importance streak that suggests she has to spend as much $$ as possible to get good results - and only the best is good enough for her."

I don't really need to say anything more, you've summed it up for both of us. Continue living in your 2nd highest per capita income county with all your cars and fat paycheck and for the love of God pretend you've never read one of my posts.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

[QUOTE]Thank you to all who were able to provide great advice.  I'm amazed at some of the gowns at Vows in Newton, will definitely be making that my 1st stop.  I actually found quite a few dresses at Country Wedding in Hingham as well so I will definitely be checking out that place too.  Thanks again ladies :)
    Posted by luvbug721[/QUOTE]
    I got mine at Vows as well. Keep in mind if you go on a Saturday, it's not by-appointment, so your best bet would be to find 5-10 dresses online and go into the store armed with the number of those dresses for the salewoman to find. Based on what you ask for, they are pretty good about bringing other dresses that are similar. I waited only an hour to get into a dressing room (I showed up around noon), so bring a friend, a magazine or a good book.

I've heard good things about Country Weddings as well, and we're going there for my mom's dress this weekend.

Good luck!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If you're serious about going to VOWS, think of them as used salesmen - they are trying to make as much as possible, but have a LOT of room to negotiate.  They even do the old "let me check with my supervisor with that price" trick.  My advice on haggling would be exactly the same for this place as it would be if you were buying a car.  

I found my dress when it was marked $1100.  I told them it was too much and left.  Came back another time, and it had been marked down to $900 (I think).  I asked for $700. Got it for that after much ado.

Here's my dress pre-alterations at VOWS:

After:

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

[QUOTE]If you're serious about going to VOWS, think of them as used salesmen - they are trying to make as much as possible, but have a LOT of room to negotiate.  They even do the old "let me check with my supervisor with that price" trick.  My advice on haggling would be exactly the same for this place as it would be if you were buying a car.   I found my dress when it was marked $1100.  I told them it was too much and left.  Came back another time, and it had been marked down to $900 (I think).  I asked for $700. Got it for that after much ado. Here's my dress pre-alterations at VOWS: After:
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]
    Beautiful.

I wish I asked about that little trick 2 months ago...I paid a bit more than I wanted for mine and probably could've gotten it for less. The 4 other dresses I had liked quickly went down in price in the weeks following so I definitely believe it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

[QUOTE]Oh, but I have read your posts and now that you've annoyed me so much, I'll continue reading everything you post and pointing out every detail that I disagree with.
    Knock. Yourself. Out.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Websites/Locations for finding a wedding dress : Beautiful. I wish I asked about that little trick 2 months ago...I paid a bit more than I wanted for mine and probably could've gotten it for less. The 4 other dresses I had liked quickly went down in price in the weeks following so I definitely believe it.
    Posted by kinga9[/QUOTE]

Thanks. :)  I had the benefit of a close friend who'd been here the year before me.  She told me what I needed to know!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

[QUOTE]some-guy knows an awful lot about kids and gives great advice in Parents (I mean, ahem BDC, MOMS) to not have kids.  I'm sure he actually does. His screen name is relatively new, but he's not, and he's not going anywhere.  The worst I can accuse him of is rudeness from being overly blunt with his oft disagreeable opinions, but I can't think of an instance in the years I've "known" him to violate BDC policy.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

you're so very wrong, Kar. He can't use his old screen name for a reason. He has openly insulted and attacked so many other posters for no other reason than he likes to start trouble. His posts are deleted by the mods all the time.
    The only thing worse than his behavior is the way you and other mostly rational posters continue to defend him. He needs to go away and nothing encourages him more than your support. All he wants is to see this board die.
    You are the nicest of people, Kar, but he is not and really does not need you or ALF to stick up for him.

Everyone likes a little well-placed snark, but this is not just a little and it is not well placed or well intentioned.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

He does have kids and posts respectfully in Parents.  He could use more tact in Weddings, for sure, but arguing with him just eggs him on.  I don't like him, per se, but I've read the posts you're referring to from way back, and I don't think any were true violations of BDC policy.  If people find him obnoxious they are better served by hitting the ignore button that being argumentative.