Need Ideas for a Couples Shower

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jag27. Show jag27's posts

Need Ideas for a Couples Shower

Hello Ladies!
    My brother is getting married in the spring and this will a second marriage for both him and his fiance.  They are having a small wedding (about 50 people) and no wedding party.  Most of the guests will be my family as future SIL is not from this area and her family lives in other parts of the country.

I offered to throw them a shower/party, more like a jack n jill, but need some ideas.  I was thinking of hosting something at my house, but I have small home.  I don't want to use my Dad's house because I believe he will be hosting a dinner the night before the wedding for immediate family on both sides.  Any ideas for venues north of Boston or even in the City that is very reasonable (since I will be paying for it)?  I"ve contacted Lowell Beer Works and they had a reasonable rates for a buffet dinner.

I am also looking for ideas as I've been to a couples shower - just showers for the brides.  Any suggestions for a theme?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Need Ideas for a Couples Shower

Hey, jag, good to see you!

For how many people?  Gifts?

As for theme, a fun get-together to celebrate the upcoming wedding is enough of a theme as far as I'd be concerned.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

I don't think you need a theme either. A place like lowell beer works sounds perfect, because anything with the term shower in it will send most guys running for the hills. But a "party" at a restaurant with the word beer the title may even draw them in! Heck, I'd even want to go! IMHO the more you make it a party and the less a shower the more enjoyable it will be for all. You could even play a drinking game as the couple opens gifts... Ok maybe I'm going a little too far.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

I agree with the above, my brother's was a couples shower and there was no theme and it was great. If you did want a neutral theme, try their honeymoon destination. My matron of honor threw me a great casual shower at her house, and she knew I wasn't into the typical shower themes and other girly bridey things (how else can you describe that? ;-) so she made it Hawaiian themed because of our honeymoon. She had lei's for everyone, mai tai punch bowl, a cake decorated with hibiscus flowers, etc. Not over the top themed, but enough so that by the end everyone knew where we where going.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jag27. Show jag27's posts

I am not sure for how many people yet, but I am thinking for around 25-30 people.  I thought Lowell Beer Works would be fun and for those of us that wanted to stay after the shower, we could hang out.  I just don't want to make like a typical shower and more of a party.

I also like the idea of doing something around their honeymoon - they are going to San Diego area for their honeymoon, so if I do something at home, I can do a beach theme.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I've never been to a shower w/ a theme. isn't there already a theme built in?  ie, marriage?  Just send out invites to a shower, skip games b/c no man will play them [and no woman wants to], and make sure there is plenty of beer and/or wine.  GL.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If someone had thrown us a beach themed shower/party I wouldn't have drawn the connection to that and the fact that we were going to Aruba for our honeymoon.  I think you're making it too hard.  A fun dinner out to celebrate the upcoming wedding with close friends and family is all you need!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hm, didn't mean to repeat ALF's post - I didn't see it first.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

Personally, I thought the Hawaiian theme made a nice touch, just my opinion. Like you said, every shower is just a shower, so why not go out of the way to make it something extra special for the couple?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

There's nothing wrong, imo, with a theme, but if it's not there, it's not going to be missed if the venue is fun, the company engaging (get it? ha!), and the food and drinks are good.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mezzogal1124. Show mezzogal1124's posts

I agree with Alf and Kar that you really don't need a theme.  Please don't spend too much time or money crafting one; as long as you plan a fun party, people will have a great time.

But, if you're determined to have a theme, I went to a couple's shower last March where the theme was "travel."  Each table was decorated with paper planes made out of origami paper and the tables were named after destinations the couple had visited either as a pair, or separately.  As favors, we all got passport covers, which was a nice touch.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jag27. Show jag27's posts

I wouldn't go crazy with a "theme" but if it can be subtle I would do that.  I know if had a theme, my step mother would go crazy with favors and decorations (because I know she will want to be involved) and I promised my future SIL I wouln't let her throw it because they do have different tastes. 

I think this may end up being just dinner on a Saturday evening at a local restuarant in a function room.  Nothing fancy, more casual with close friends and family.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Lots of theme decorations actually makes me uncomfortable and anxious for some reason...I can't explain it.  I feel like I must be my party self (whoever that is) instead of just me.  Maybe I'm an overly nervous nut.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

What - no beer pong?  Now THAT would be a great shower game - LOL!

Nothing to add to what the others have already written - just wanted to say hi, how are you, how's married life? 

Cos

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jag27. Show jag27's posts

I think it would be fun shower if I brought out all the drinking games!

Kar - I can understand the "overdecorating" - that would bother my future SIL too and that is why she doesn't want my step mom too involved.  My step mom goes overboard - She has to decorate for everything! 

Cosmo - Life is good - our 2 year old DD keeps us busy and thinking about #2 to complete the family.  How is everything with you?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Hi, jag.  The past two years have been wicked rough for us unfortunately.  DH has been very sick and recovery has been slow and unsteady.  A lot of trial-and-error medication tweaking.  I'm SO glad we got married because having  promised "in sickness and in health, for better or for worse..." makes it much easier to bear for me personally.  Isn't that something?

The economy has trashed us, too, and I'm definitely not digging the "for richer for poorer", but I can STILL find something to laugh about every day, and I am always grateful that we're better off than a lot of other people.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

Hi, Gang!!

Jag - I think a beerworks shower is a great idea.  You don't need to decorate, because the venue has its own vibe.

Cosmo - any chance you come in to Boston just for fun one day?  I would love to see you and catch up!

Everyone else - I don't check in here very often, and from the looks of some of the older posts, neither do most people, but I will always fondly remember my friends from the old wedding chat board days!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Auntie!  Am sending you an email to set up a date!  XXOO

Cos

STWOWAAT

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

Cos - I didn't receive it!! I wonder if it went into spam?  (nothing personal!  LOL)

I'll send you one first and see if that works.