Hawaii honeymoon rave

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

Hawaii honeymoon rave

Just got back from a vacation in Waikiki and have some suggestions for anyone on their way to Oahu.

We only stayed in one place - the Outrigger Waikiki.  LOVED IT!!  But it's not quiet and it's not intimate!  It is where the action is.  Right on the main drag - across the street from the International Market (tourist shopping) and Margaritaville (dance and drinks club with tropical theme.)

In the hotel are three restaurants - I recommend all three - but if you go there for dinner - you will need a reservation.
    Duke's is a casual bar/pub right on the beach where the surfers hang out. 
    The Hula Grill is right above Duke's and has a classier bar and tables overlooking the beach - better menu.
    Chuck's Steak House is more expensive and fancy - great for a special dinner.

If you stay in Waikiki - book a dinner at the Hanohano Twist - it is the 30th floor of the Sheraton Hotel (two hotels away from ours.) The view is magnificent and the dinner is incredible.

You order one of 5 selections each of appetizer, entree and desert and the chef pairs a wine with each selection.  We loved it!!

We also went on a snorkling tour with Ko Olina Ocean Adventure.  The guides were so cool.  They actually found a pod of dolphins and we snorkled with them - maybe 15 feet away!!

The trip from the East Coast is a killer - but the minute you step off the plane, it no longer matters - love Waikiki!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Re: Hawaii honeymoon rave

I have never been to Hawaii but am dying to go.  Hoping to go for 2 weeks next year.
    I have to agree that when traveling to a vacation spot or place you always wanted to see no matter how long the flight was or how bad you seem to forget when you get off the plane:)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

That hotel is awesome! Dukes had amazing food, I recommend the potato salad, and they have a pie I would kill for! It's called Hula Pie. It's ridiculously good.
    We went there the last time I visited for my dad's 50th birthday seven years ago. My dad and I still talk about that pie.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

I know this is slightly OT since we are talking Waikiki, but we just booked our honeymoon to Maui for 10 days.. 5 days at the grand wailea, and 5 days at the Hoolio House (other side of the island).  So excited!!  I've been to Maui and Oahu before but not since I was 15!!  If anyone has a "must do" on Maui please let me know!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

In Response to Re: Hawaii honeymoon rave:
    [QUOTE]I know this is slightly OT since we are talking Waikiki, but we just booked our honeymoon to Maui for 10 days.. 5 days at the grand wailea, and 5 days at the Hoolio House (other side of the island).  So excited!!  I've been to Maui and Oahu before but not since I was 15!!  If anyone has a "must do" on Maui please let me know!!
    Posted by Jan2010bride[/QUOTE]

No matter what you do or don't do - Hawaii is a special place!! Aloha!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 7x4. Show 7x4's posts

[QUOTE]I know this is slightly OT since we are talking Waikiki, but we just booked our honeymoon to Maui for 10 days.. 5 days at the grand wailea, and 5 days at the Hoolio House (other side of the island).  So excited!!  I've been to Maui and Oahu before but not since I was 15!!  If anyone has a "must do" on Maui please let me know!!

Maui is pretty amazing. Watching the sun rise at the top of the volcano can range from cool to amazing depending on the weather. I believe hte Grand Wailea is pretty close too.  Dress warmly!! It is literally freezing at hte top. 

The Road to hanah is popular and amazing. It does take ALL DAY to do. It's full day of driving.

We did a lot of snorkeling, and did a trip on Cattamaran to a few snorkeling holes.  Loved being on the boat. Loved the spots they took us to.

We had a really special dinner at an Italian restaurant the Ritz Carlton golf club in Kapalua.  There was a Sushi place under renovations there I believe, that is supposed to be amazing.

We bought the "Maui Revealed" and let that be our guide. We were never let down.  (and we would have never found that Italian restaurant at the Ritz Carlton Golf Club without it).

There are amazing sights on the coast above Kapalua.  Well worth the adventure.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Rent a convertible, if you can swing it!  So fun!  :-)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

definitely want to rent a convertible!!  and we are planning the haleakala and then a bike tour down.. found one that doesn't have a time limit and not guided so it's self guided down and you can stop where you want, etc (for breakfast and stuff).  seemed pretty cool.  We were thinking about a catamaran too.. they have a catamaran ride through Trilogy that goes to Lanai!  Ever heard of it or been on it anyone?  seems super cool and something we might like to do.  I think we'll do Road to Hana, even though I hear that it's nickname is divorce highway!  I will get that book, and check out the Ritz Carlton.. actually my aunt stayed there for 3 nights on their honeymoon so I should ask her about it and if she knows that restaurant!  Thanks!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghotieyes. Show ghotieyes's posts

A convertible might be fun, but a Jeep is way overrated! We rented one in Oahu and the ride was so bumpy compared to a sedan! We couldn't leave anything in the Jeep b/c it can be taken apart so easily but at the same time it was a pain to open/close the Jeep.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

Thanks for the info ladies.  we leave for Hawaii in one week!!!!  WOOHOO  First stop Maui and then Oahu. Let me kow of any more suggestions :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

Awesome.. have fun and keep me posted.. I leave in 24 days for Maui!!  :-)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

Just got back and we had an amazing time!!!  you are going to have a blast Jan.

A few things:
    -when you are in Maui, you MUST go to Mama's for dinner.  It is a bit on the pricey side, but well worth it.  Some of the freshest fish I have ever had and the ambiance is just perfect - romantic and cozy (although the place is bigger than I would have imagined)
    -go do the Road to Hana.  If you can, get the guidebook "Maui Revealed" and pick some of the things that are "must dos." do those and no more, otherwise it can be too much, unless you are staying the night in Hana.  We went on x-mas day and it was less crowded, but i think the island will be less crowded when you go in general. 

i have so much more to talk about, everything was wonderful, but it's very late now and i can't think straight!  we went on a catamaran in Maui and it was awesome!!  you board right off the beach...so cool!!  I will look it up if you want to know. the grand wailea is so so beautiful - that whole part of Maui is.  if you have any specific questions, feel free to pick my brain.  we are also foodies, so if you want to know places to eat, i can share that too.   :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

Hey Boston slp,

I missed your post.. our wedding was Jan 9th and we were off to Hawaii on the morning of the 11th super early.. I never checked this in between!  But you will be happy to know that we did do Mama's Fish House for lunch one day, and we also got Maui Revealed and did the Road to Hana - AWESOME views!  we did the whole thing too... even the part you are not supposed to travel on after.  It was great though.  The only bad thing was that our camera broke at mile 14 so we had to buy a disposable from a little vendor for $20 and it didn't even have a flash.. we'll see how they come out on that!  when we got back to Kahalui we went to Walmart and bought another cheaper digital..  it worked great for the rest of the trip. We did a Trilogy Catamaran Ride to Lanai for a day - AWESOME.  Picked us up at the Wharf in Lahaina and we did an all day sunset sail home..  we saw so many whales and dolphins!  soo cool!  Old Lahaina Luau was awesome too - and we had a streaker there!!  First time in 7 years they said.. and to top it all off, he was wearing a boston red sox cap... everyone was like - do you know him??  haha!  too funny!!  We had such a wonderful time!!   the grand wailea was the nicest hotel ever and the best experience.  Our ocean view was amazing and we fell asleep to the waves crashing each night.. no AC needed!  The spa there is unbelievable!!!!!!  then the Hooilo House was absolutely beautiful too - totally hawaii, chill, and relaxing.. it really slowed us down and gave us time to appreciate Hawaii once we got there after the crazy fun at the Wailea..  I would recommend both to anyone!  Like you, I could go on and on about Maui - it far exceeded my expectations and we really hope to go back for a honeymoon or 5!  We loved it...  but I have to get back to work!!  I'm glad you had so much fun too!! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nantucket4life. Show nantucket4life's posts

I am dying to go to Hawaii! with the weather so cold today I had to look on this board for warm weather thoughts to lift my spirits!!!