Suggestions for a mini-moon

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from caringteacher. Show caringteacher's posts

Suggestions for a mini-moon

Hello! We're getting married over Columbus Day weekend and we can't take our full honeymoon until June because I'm a teacher. We would like to go away from Monday to Thursday on a mini-moon but I can't decide where. I would love to go somewhere tropical and a swim up bar would be a wonderful bonus. However, it's hurricane season and going somewhere in the Carribean might not be a good idea. Does anyone have any suggestions for a shorter trip for our mini-moon?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

Re: Suggestions for a mini-moon

You could still do the western part of the carribean, aruba and for a local area check out the white mountains.

Good luck!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

You could go to Aruba.  It's about a 4.5 hour flight (I think).  I went to Aruba during that week once and the weather was fantastic.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsallnew. Show itsallnew's posts

A good friend of mine did an Anniversary trip to Portugal, and stopped at the Portuguese Azores Islands on the way there.  It's kind of inbetween the U.S. and Portugal.  She said wonderful things about it and also said the airfare/flight length wasn't bad.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I second Aruba, and from what I understand, it's just outside the hurricane belt.  We went in November 2008, and it was AWESOME.  We both enjoyed ourselves immensely, and my DH isn't really a "heat/beach" guy.  The constant trade winds made it feel comfortable for both of us.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

A very inexpensive trip, far from the hurricanes, would be Las Vegas.  Room rates are WICKED cheap during the week.  Many of the hotels have gorgeous pool areas and spas -- you wouldn't even know you're in Vegas unless you want to be. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I agree with Cosmo. If you pick a domestic locale, you'll save a ton of money you can put towards your "real" honeymoon.

Siesta Key in Sarasota, Florida is really beautiful. It was voted the best beach in the US, I think. The sand is white and so fine it feels like flour. The water is clear blue and always a great temperature. I don't know about swim-up bars, but there are so many resorts down there I assume one of them has to have something like that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e. Show 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e's posts

I second Cosmo's recommendation of LV and also the Aruba idea, although I didn't much like the place we stayed in Aruba (the oldest building in the Marriott condo complex.)  I'll add Bermuda (two hour flight, variety of hotels, and good restaurants.) You could save the swim-up bar vacation for a later, longer vacation, too, and have a nice four or five days in the White Mountains, Stowe, Mystic, CT, Newport, RI or a nice drive up to one of the French style country inns in the Laurentians in eastern Quebec. The Hudson River Valley is very beautiful and interesting, but you need to find the right lodging. There are wineries and spas around the Finger Lakes in upstate NY that have beautiful lodging and fine dining.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

I do agree, Aruba is nice. I stayed at the Riu which was lovely and perfect for a four day trip. I also want to throw out Anguilla. I went for a week in April and found it to be absolute paradise. It was by far the best beaches I've ever seen in the Carribean. The island is safe and the people are amazing. It's not over-crowded, which I found Aruba to be, so it would make for a very relaxing trip.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Now that I think of it Jamaica is great too.  I went for a long weekend during Halloween and it was awesome.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e. Show 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e's posts

I absolutely loved Anguilla. It's everything Kinga describes. I'm not sure whether it's in the hurricane belt, though.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Palm Beach on Aruba is very crowded (the high rise hotels all share the whole beach), but Eagle Beach is all private beaches per low rise hotel so it's very quiet and you see the same few people on the beach every day.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tara0313. Show tara0313's posts

We did Newport for our mini moon when we got married last August. We went for a few days and it was exactly what we needed right after everything. Also I second Vegas, that would be perfect for a few days to unwind.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I just came back from a vacation in Utah, flying though Vegas.  What we paid for airfare alone for business class, we could have had a lovely vacation in the Carribean.  I always find that continental tix are far more expensive than going overseas.  We paid a fortune to stay 1 night in Vegas [flying back the next day]. I'm sure you can do it cheap, but going cheap in Vegas is well, going cheap in Vegas. I'm not a Vegas fan in the first place, but I think you can find a much nicer place to stay than Vegas in the US.  I'd vote for ABC [Aruba, Bonaire, or Curacao, which are all outside the hurricane belt] or else do a driveable weekend in the mountains of NH, VT or ME.  GL.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Aruba is an almost 5 hour flight.  I think too long for a quick 4 day vacation. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I believe it's a shorter flight then to Las Vegas...at least an hour shorter I believe.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

I think Vegas is about a hour shorter. 
    If traveling in the US you don't have to worry about customs which can tie you down quite a bit.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Well I just looked and it said Vegas was 5 hours and 20 minutes from Boston and Aruba was 4 hours and 30 minutes.  Vegas is fine too, but if you are looking to relax and lounge on the beach that's not going.  You can lounge by the pool though.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from venforknot. Show venforknot's posts

We're hitting up Savannah GA on our way back from our honeymoon. I hear it's a good 3 or 4 day trip. There were a couple of reviews on here when I asked about it. :-) It's like a 3 hour flight or something but you have to change planes or drive from Atlanta or SC.