Girly Junk - Make up Recommendation

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyc521. Show nyc521's posts

Girly Junk - Make up Recommendation

I got married at the end of June and used Girly Junk for my makeup for me and my 7 bridesmaids.  They were AMAZING.  I cannot say enough good things about them.  I have had my makeup done in a lot of weddings, and they were the best I've ever worked with.  They really took the time to make sure everyone had individual looks that worked best for them, it was not just one makeup look for everyone.  Plus - they are super nice and it was nice to have some laid back, fun people around while we were getting ready.  They came to our hotel and did everyone on site.  Also, their prices are extremely reasonable - strongly recommend them!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkandpearls. Show pinkandpearls's posts

Re: Girly Junk - Make up Recommendation

Thank you for sharing!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkandpearls. Show pinkandpearls's posts

What kind of makeup did they use?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GinaBabe3. Show GinaBabe3's posts

I actually had a make up trial with them and it looked terrible.  They used so much make up it felt like I had a mask on.  Make sure you get a trial with them!  I believe they use Mac make up.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikadoWeddings. Show MikadoWeddings's posts

In Response to Re: Girly Junk - Make up Recommendation:
    [QUOTE]What kind of makeup did they use?
    Posted by pinkandpearls[/QUOTE]

We just had a bride use Girly Junk for a trial! She gives the option of either using airbrushing or traditional makeup. Both for the same price (AWESOME because most artists charges more for airbrushing). We saw a lot of MAC products in her case and ELF for lips?

Girly Junk prices are very reasonable! Definitely do the trial before the big day.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE]I actually had a make up trial with them and it looked terrible.  They used so much make up it felt like I had a mask on.  Make sure you get a trial with them!  I believe they use Mac make up.
    Posted by GinaBabe3[/QUOTE]

Mac is designed for the stage.  If you're not used to wearing makeup, it can seem pretty heavy, depending on what they use.  But it's long-lasting, and it's good makeup.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I find MAC foundation to feel a little heavy, especially the cream, but it's all personal preference.

If they're using ELF products, those are usally really cheap. Like $5 or less. Not sure what kind of quality you're getting in a $1 gloss. I wouldn't bank on it lasting for very long and I wouldn't use them on a bride if I were doing her makeup. Better to spend $10 on a gloss and only have to apply it once or twice than pay $1 for a gloss and have to re-apply every hour.
    Cheap products are made entirely from synthetic ingrediants. They really aren't the best for your skin, especially your lips. You end up eating everything you put on your lips, and with cheap glosses you're basically ingesting plastic everytime you wear it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

One of the girls used ELF on my lips and it last almost all night long. But then again I wasn't drinking a lot or kissing a whole bunch of people where it would have the chance to wear off. they also gave me the tube of the stuff they used in case I did need to reaply throughout the night.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Christinymarini. Show Christinymarini's posts

Pink- you know so much about make-up! 

It may be a little early to start looking for hair/make-up for my wedding (next May), but does anyone have someone they would recommend?  I'd like to try to have the same people do both for me and my BM's, but I'm open to suggestions for one or the other.  I'm getting married/ready in Central MA. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

Christymarini - I used Kim Fosher a few years ago for my wedding - she's in Shrewsbury so not too far from you. We all looked great - special occasion looking, yet natural.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

I love MAC foundations (actually, most of their products), but E.L.F, ech.  The mineral make up/powder made me itch and the gloss made my entire lip area (all around it) red and flaky).

Call me a snob, but I would really resent a make up artist using $2 products on me and charging $100!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

[QUOTE]Pink- you know so much about make-up!  It may be a little early to start looking for hair/make-up for my wedding (next May), but does anyone have someone they would recommend?  I'd like to try to have the same people do both for me and my BM's, but I'm open to suggestions for one or the other.  I'm getting married/ready in Central MA. 
    Posted by Christinymarini[/QUOTE]

I'd recommend booking a hair/makeup person for a May wedding now.  May is a busy month, between the proms, weddings and other social events.  Many makeup artists and hair stylists are already booked for may...

not familiar w/anyone in central MA...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkandpearls. Show pinkandpearls's posts

Does anyone have any good recommendations for the Boston area?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

[QUOTE]Does anyone have any good recommendations for the Boston area?
    Posted by pinkandpearls[/QUOTE]

Brigid Cermak is good...  her website is www.makeupbybrigid.com

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

I HIGHLY recommend these two ladies.  They are both located in the Boston area, but I think they will travel (definitely worth asking about Central MA, but I'm not certain how far they go):

...She did makeup for 7 ladies for my wedding, and she was fantastic.  A great positive, upbeat personality too, so a nice person to have around on your wedding day.  She did a beautiful job on everyone, and was really willing to go out of her way to make sure everyone was happy.  (For example, she met me once after my trial to try different lipstick colors, b/c I decided I wanted something different than the trial.) Everyone really liked working with her, and makeup looks fresh & polished in photos.

...I hired her to do makeup for a bunch of girls at a bachelorette party I planned. (Brea was busy that weekend.)  She made everyone look gorgeous, and was also a pleasure to be around.  She nailed a different, very flattering look for each girl.

Both ladies use high quality products and were very detail oriented and knowledgeable.  Brea uses almost all MAC stuff, Tara uses a mix of "brand name" products (also including a lot of MAC products).

I agree MAC foundation is heavy for everyday, but it worked well for wedding makeup.  Makeup artists tell me they prefer it for weddings b/c the liquid MAC foundation can be bought in big bottles, and then they custom blend shades to match each lady.  (They couldn't possibly carry with them enough different colors to match every person without blending, so they bring several base colors, and then blend to match.)  So I think it is very practical for weddings and lasts all day.

I LOVE MAC eye products.  I wear the "Painterly" neutral cream eye shadow base every day (after it was recommended by both Brea and Tara), and it just lasts and lasts and lasts.  (I have to use makeup remover to get it off.  It never sweats off, creases, or washes off with plain water.)  I build up eyeshadow color in layers over it.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from augustbride20. Show augustbride20's posts

I'm using Brea, but I haven't had my trial yet. I'll let you know how that goes!

I normally wear Clinique products only, but wanted something more dramatic for the day. Although I will say I used to use Clinique waterproof mascara religiously and then one of my friends recommended Cover Girl LashBlast length and I LOVE it. I'm never going back. And it is only $7.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

[QUOTE] I agree MAC foundation is heavy for everyday, but it worked well for wedding makeup.  Makeup artists tell me they prefer it for weddings b/c the liquid MAC foundation can be bought in big bottles, and then they custom blend shades to match each lady.  (They couldn't possibly carry with them enough different colors to match every person without blending, so they bring several base colors, and then blend to match.)  So I think it is very practical for weddings and lasts all day. Posted by jasmine09[/QUOTE]

That's exactly it. Make Up For Ever makes a similar liquid foundation, except that it's got a water and silicone base, so it feels a lot lighter but lasts just as long. Much more comfortable for those who aren't used to wearing makeup. But since MAC's the industry standard and it works, most artists never bother to see what else is out there. It's a pity.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

[QUOTE]I love MAC foundations (actually, most of their products), but E.L.F, ech.  The mineral make up/powder made me itch and the gloss made my entire lip area (all around it) red and flaky). Call me a snob, but I would really resent a make up artist using $2 products on me and charging $100!
    Posted by Prill[/QUOTE]

I agree! When you're charging people $60-$100 at least use drugstore poducts.

The L'Oreal mineral foundation is actually very good. I use it with the physician's formula mineral veil on top. It wears all day, feels lgiht, and looks natural.