My Wedding Reviews!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

My Wedding Reviews!

As some of you may know, my husband and I had a very strict budget for our wedding, we planned on using only the $8,000 first time home buyer tax credit we got back this year.  I have to say, we were pretty successful.  I don’t have the exact numbers, but we aren’t drowning in debt and had such a great time.  I can honestly say that  I really enjoyed my wedding and I’m so sad it’s over! 

Venue: A+ x infinity! LOL

www.thegloucesterhouse.com/ " target="_blank">The Gloucester House
    The Gloucester House did such a wonderful job with our wedding.  Everyone was raving about the food, and I actually sat down and enjoyed my meal, it was fabulous!  Dottie helped me to coordinate everything and she was such a doll.  She was extremely accommodating, even with some of my bizarre requests, like an area for our make-shift photo booth.  The tables were set perfectly, my centerpieces looked amazing, the memorial candles were placed on the mantle; everything was just perfect.  She even understaood when obnoxious family member/s brought an univited guest and threw a wrench into the seating chart and meal orders!  I can't say enough about Dottie and The Gloucester House!

Cupcakes: A+ x infinity!!!

Melissa of Dreams in Buttercream
    My biggest worry before the wedding was finding/affording a cake or cupcakes.  I was even about to consider them another DIY project to tack onto my already huge list.  As a last resort, I checked out Craigslist and found Melissa.  She answered my email almost right away.  We told her we wanted 130 cupcakes and a small cake for us to cut.  She quoted us an unbelievable price and we just couldn't say no!  We ordered lemon cake with a white butter cream frosting and she even added little blue  hydrangeas to each and every cupcake.  She came to our venue and set up.  The cake table looked amazing, and when we walked by, they smelled soooo delicious!  Finally, when it was time to cut the cake, my husband and I were blown away by how good it was!  Everyone who had a cupcake loved them!  Dreams in Buttercream saved me so much stress and totally paid off; she is worth way more than she charges!

Photography: A++++++
    Pamela Helme of Lucid Light Photography, along with James Barron of Undying Photography = Altared Visions Studios
    I found Pam on Boston.com through NYEBride, and I can’t thank you enough!  Pam’s work is wonderful, she is such a joy to work with and provided us with exactly what we wanted.  We didn’t want the stuffy posed pictures, but more of an artistic approach to the traditional family photos and ceremony and reception events.  When we hired her, she told me that she would be bringing another photographer to get even more pictures.  I met James on the day of the wedding and he was wonderful.  They are both very professional and a lot of fun.  I can’t wait to see the photos!! 

Videographer: B or D
    Alex S.
    I contacted a couple area schools looking for a videographer.  New England Institute of Art was the only one to come back with someone.  Alex had already graduated, but was willing to film our wedding for some extra cash.  His price was perfect for us!  He came by our house and showed us his work, which was wonderful.  Weddings aren’t what he is planning as his career, but that wasn’t important to us.  A video was a second thought for us, so we weren’t looking for the “Platinum Package”.  Basically, we wanted someone to film our ceremony, most of the reception and make sure to film the important people of the evening.  After emailing him about a month before to see if he was still planning on filming the wedding, he emailed me the contract.  At the ceremony, I didn’t see him anywhere, until about the end.  So he’s either a wonderful videographer, so out of the way that you don’t even know he’s there, or he wasn’t there.  When we got back home Saturday, there were a couple messages on the answering machine from him wondering the time and location of the wedding, on the day of the wedding!  The third message was him saying that he found the location and time and would be there.  We pay him the other 50% when we get the video, hopefully the days events are in it! 

DJ: A+

www.leosclassichits.com/
    Leo of Leo’s Classic Hits

Leo was awesome!  He kept the party going and was a lot of fun.  He knew a lot of the people at the wedding, so there was a lot more joking and fun to be had that way.  He is pretty much the resident DJ of Cape Ann so a couple people were bored with his shtick, but I enjoyed him a lot!  He didn’t come to the venue with an obnoxious amount of equipment either.  He had all of the songs I requested for our dances, and made us a CD to keep after the wedding.  I highly recommend him. 

Gown: A+ for my gown, C- for service
    David’s Bridal in Danvers
    David’s Bridal was the first and only place I went to find my gown.  Alla was my sales woman and she was a lot of fun.  I loved my dress when I tried it on, but I wasn’t sure of the color.  Another woman told Alla that they had the same dress in white, but in the petite size.  I tried that on and actually felt a lot more comfortable, especially where I planned on wearing flats.  With the tight budget, my mind was number crunching and I was thrilled that I wouldn’t have to pay extra to have a regular sized dress hemmed because the petite was the perfect length for me.  Of course it’s not that easy.  The dress came in and the bustle was put in place.  I went back for a fitting and the dress was too short, my toes were garishly sticking out and I was mortified.  Mercedes of alterations was very helpful.  She said they could try and stretch the lace to make it longer and in the end, that’s what worked.  She also said that she would work personally on my dress so it wouldn’t be passed through different hands who didn’t know all of the circumstances.  The Wednesday before the wedding, I was scheduled to pick up my veil and my sister’s gown, when I got there, they couldn’t find my order.  Apparently they forgot to press them in time.  I had to wait for about an hour while they did it.  Not a huge deal, but it was inconvenient and I was a little POd.  Overall, the dresses at David’s are very affordable, but if you’re going to need alterations, I recommend taking your gown elsewhere.  The Alterations Department is where they make their money. 

Flowers: A+ (naturally!)
    Me!

After a lot of blood, sweat and tears (not really) I finished the flowers!  I’m actually very proud of myself and many people suggested I do this as a living.  I bought fabric from Joann’s and had a blast making all kinds of “flowers”.  Honestly, it was stress-relief for me throughout the planning process to be creative.  I used shells for the boutonnieres and added little hydrangea petals, and used both shells and fabric flowers for the mothers’ corsages.  Thankfully I had a very small wedding party, or else I would have gone mad!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: My Wedding Reviews!

Wow, everything sounds like it was perfect, and even with one C-, at least you got that straightened out before the wedding so it didn't impact it.  YAY, another hearty congrats to you, Teeny!  So happy that the pre-wedding Church requirements and budget restraints didn't end up holding you back.  The flowers are gorgeous, too - people would definitely pay you to do that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kendrasbigday. Show kendrasbigday's posts

Congrats on your wedding!  Your flowers look beautiful!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Sounds awesome!  Glad everything (pretty much) worked out :o)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Congratulations teeny! Happy for you everything went so well and you could do it w/i your budget. Your flowers look gorgeous. You are an artist and could definitely make a good penny by doing them for other brides.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Congratulations Teeny.  Looks like you had a beautiful wedding.  I like your flowers and your cupcake/cake. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Congrats!  Love the flowers!  Would love to see any more pics!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

Thanks everyone, I'll see if I can come up with some more pictures of the flowers!  I'm so glad that it went off so well, everything worked out perfectly.  I wish I could do it all over again, to celebrate, not a re-do...but I already married my husband twice, I think that's enough for a lifetime!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

more pics...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Honestly, Teeny, I would pay you to do those.  They look really nice and they won't freeze in the cold, wilt in the heat, or get flattened by rain.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shell7. Show Shell7's posts

Congratulations Teeny! Great job on the flowers! After first, I didn't realize they were even fabric!
    I too am on a budget similiar to yours. It is reassuring to see that you can still have a beautiful wedding while watching your spending!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

They almost look like old fashioned ribbon candy - so pretty!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Teeny- maybe you can start selling them on ETSY! I bet there are lots of brides that would buy them! :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Congrats, Teeny! I LOVE your flowers, and I agree that nothing relieves stress like a little craft project where you're making pretty things! Your cupcakes look amazing. What a lovely day!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from augustbride20. Show augustbride20's posts

Congratulations, Teeny :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Congrats Teeny!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

Thank You, Thank You! 

The best thing about fabric flowers was allowing myself to be creative and relieve stress.  Plus, like you said Lucy, they won't wilt, freeze, etc.  They last forever!

A lot of people thought it was a wonderful "green" idea, but that was honesetly the last thing I was thinking, lol.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYEBride2010. Show NYEBride2010's posts

In Response to My Wedding Reviews!:
     Photography: A++++++ Pamela Helme of Lucid Light Photography , along with James Barron of Undying Photography = Altared Visions Studios I found Pam on Boston.com through NYEBride, and I can’t thank you enough!   Pam’s work is wonderful, she is such a joy to work with and provided us with exactly what we wanted.  

Teeny,
    I am so glad you liked her.  She really does such a wonderful job.  My cousin just hired her for her May 2011 wedding and my sister just was in a wedding that she was the photographer also.  I am happy you had a great day and love the pictures of the bouquets.  Congrats!!!