Pricing questions & vendor suggestions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Pricing questions & vendor suggestions

Now that we have some of the major items out of the way, we need to figure out the other important ones. If you all would be so kind, I'd love to hear your advice and tips!

The wedding is in Weston in May. We live in the Watertown/Waltham area but work in Boston. We have a budget for these items, but do not know good local resources or close estimates for how much they cost.

Invitations
    Florist - bouquets, etc. but not necessarily centerpieces
    Musician - pianist for 3 - 4 hours
    JP/minister - it's a Sunday daytime wedding which might be a problem
    Hair/make up - probably need to have 4 appointments, including me, early Sunday
    Suit rentals - not tux, is this even possible?

I think those are the big ones for now, but if you encountered any unexpected costs, I'd also love to know. Thanks so much for the help!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Re: Pricing questions & vendor suggestions

Invitations- cost varies HUGELY with what you want.  (e.g. how many inserts? flat printing, thermography, letterpress? lined envelopes? 2 envelopes or one? all professionally printed or DIY?).  We got our invitations at Papyrus from the Checkerboard book.  The quality was wonderful, and we LOVED them.  Other paper products we ordered from DianeByDesign on etsy.com.  She was so wonderful to work with and coordinated everything perfectly.  Much less expensive than printing more stuff at Papyrus.  We had calligraphy done by afineletter.com.  It was the most affordable I found.  Saved me a lot of effort, and everything looked beautiful.

Bouquets--again varies hugely with what you are looking for (how large, in season blooms or not, etc.).  I loved the bridesmaid bouquets we got, and I think they were $85.  They can be done for less (probably $40-50) or more (I've seen quotes up to $150).  We used A Celebrated Flower, and were very happy with their work.

Hair--went to a salon in Cambridge.  Updos were $75.  Mine was $120, including the trial and the day-of. 

Makeup--Used Brea from makeupbybrea.com.  SHe was fantastic.  Pricing is on her website--I think it changed since I booked, but is still very competitive.  I think like $45 for attendants, $65 for bride, but you should check the website.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Thanks Jasmine! That info is very helpful. I'm going to look into those vendors today.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nsh1018. Show nsh1018's posts

Suit Rentals - Jim's Formal Wear If you go to their website it will give you store locator to find a store in your area. 

Etsy.com is a great way to find invitations and if you search sellers there are so many great ones, it just depends on the style you want.  We used seller daisiesndoodlebugs for invitations.  Nakira was great to work with.

Also for makeup check out:  .http://candicefrench.weebly.com/
    Not sure if she would do Boston area, she is out of NH but worth looking into.  She is so nice and does beautiful work.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Oh and for the pianist, you may want to check out gigmasters.com.  We didn't use a pianist, but we found our ceremony musicians there.  You can compare prices, see reviews, listen to audio samples.  It's a pretty helpful website.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

cicirose, do you know that you can ask any Mass. resident to be your officiant for the day?  It costs $50.  If you have a close friend or family member who you think would do a great job, you should consider it.  We did and it made the ceremony so much more personal.

I would check out the Stop and Shop on Pleasant St in Watertown for the flowers. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

In Response to Pricing questions & vendor suggestions:

Invitations- I bought paper and envelopes and made my own. Stationary costs were around $100 and it cost $5 to print them at Kinko's. Prices for invitations can be as low or as high as you want, though.

Florist - bouquets, etc. but not necessarily centerpieces
    I used Lyndsey Loring (lyndseyloringdesign.com) and paid under $400. My bouquet was $75 and my BM's were $50. The $400 included guys' bouts, bouqets, mom's corsages, delivery & set up, some scattered flowers for the placecard table.

JP- I used John Scuto (who was awesome) and paid $120 (rehearsal included)

Hair/make up -I also used Brea Cherne for makeup (I love her) and Rachel Aiden for hair (www.fourwaterstreet.com). They were both great. I paid around $250 for a trial, my hair, and my BM's hair, and for Rachel to travel to us. I liked her a lot and I just booked an apt at her salon for a haircut.

Suit rentals - not tux, is this even possible?
    You can definitely just rent suits and not tuxes. Try Men's Warehouse. Our tux rental was $140 and my husband got his for free.

unexpected costs
    It depends on *extras* that you want to do. After a while, I realized it would be a good idea to have a shuttle from the hotel to the venue because 98% of our guests were from out of town. That was about $400. You never know how much alterations for your dress will cost until after you buy it. Look into fees associated with vendors and make sure the numbers they give you are final, tax/delivery/etc included.

ETA: I got married in southern NH and all of these vendors are based out of that area.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Thanks for all this information! These are all great suggestions and really helpful. Guess I'll be busy for the next couple weeks :)

I never even thought to look into supermarket florists for weddings. WPP - sounds like your florist was a great deal. I wish she was local!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Cici--I'm think that I heard a Boston bride say she used Lyndsay Loring before, so it might be worth inquiring.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from november2009. Show november2009's posts

For flowers try Cass the Florist in Watertown, www.cassflowers.com
    they do fantastic work and can work with any budget.  They also have an awesome class in how to make your own wedding bouquets which I took and have recommended to friends who also really thought this was a great class.  For $95 you learn how to make two bouquets and so much about wedding about flowers.  They are holding this class again on Sept 12.  Leah is the wedding sales person at Cass and she is super nice and helpful and has given us lots of tips on how to get the most out of our flower budget.
    FI had to rent a suit at Classic Tuxedo on Newburry Street for a wedding he was in last spring.  You might want to explore if you can get a discount for purchasing multiple suits instead of renting.  At my brother's wedding they did this and the difference between rental and buying with the discount was about $40 so each guy bought his suit at Milton's in Chestnut Hill instead of renting.
    For hair and makeup I am still searching but for my cousin's wedding she used Blondie's in Waltham and I would not recommend them.  I have short curly hair which they straightened and made a mess and then to fix it they wanted to cut it.  I ended up washing again in the salon in styling it myself.  My cousin's style did not last through the cermony and my Aunt (the MOB) has spiked hair that made her look like she has put her finger in an electric socket. 
    Good luck in your search.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

In Response to Re: Pricing questions & vendor suggestions:
    [QUOTE]For hair and makeup I am still searching but for my cousin's wedding she used Blondie's in Waltham and would not recommend them.  I have short curly hair which they straightened and made a mess and then to fix it they wanted to cut it.  I ended up washing again in the salon in styling it myself.  My cousin's style did not last through the cermony and my Aunt (the MOB) has spiked hair that mad her look like she has put her finger in an electric socket.  Good luck in your search.  
    Posted by november2009[/QUOTE]

Oh my goodness... definitely avoiding that place!

I need to find a new hair person anyway, so I have an appointment at J Stevens in Newton next week. The girl I'm going to is the contact for weddings so I will get information from her while I'm there. I'll let you know what I find out, if you're still looking for someone!

I called Ciao Bella, right on the Newton/Watertown line and they do both hair and makeup for weddings. Not sure about the prices or anything. I am thinking about going there but I'm hoping that I can get Brea for makeup since she got such great reviews from everyone here.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

It's kind of far from Watertown, but I go to Shag in South Boston to get my hair cut and it's best salon experience I've ever had, hands down. Everyone is so nice and they're not kidding when they call it a "rockstar experience".
    They do updos for $75 and up.
    http://www.shagboston.com/

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from november2009. Show november2009's posts

I have passed Ciao Bella and it looks good.  Please let me know what you think.  I called Davis Salon in Newton Highlands and almost fainted when the gave me the price range.  We could take a nice vacation for what they charge.  Also heard that Rose the owner of Salon Sabrina in Watertown Square (in the CVS parking lot) is good and will open for Sunday weddings.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dani273. Show Dani273's posts

I am going to go ahead and add my reccomendations:
    My friend got married 2 years ago and was on a tight budget with flowers. SHe used a girl out of Whitman named Jennifer. SHe has a business called the Tangled Web. Her flowers were beautiful. I do not have her contact info, but I am sure that you can look it up on line.
    Makeup- My friend Brigid Cermak does great makeup and she is close to the area where you are getting married. Her prices are great too. SHe can definatley give you a great look and also work within your budget. email: cerschart@msn.com
    Hair____ I went to a wedding in early August and the bride's hair was the most gorgeous hair style I have ever seen on a bride. It was loose flowing curls and just gorgeous. Her mom had a fabulous updo. She said that her aunt did her hair and that she is a hair stylist. Her name is Amy Harris and she lives in Newton. I was so impressed by how gorgeous they all looked, I actually wrote her name and contact info down because I am going to pass her name along to some of my own friends that are getting married. i cannot tell you her pricing, but her work was to die for! All I have is her email, it is amyhairstyle@yahoo.com  Please check her out. It was wonderful, good luck with everything.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 91909Bride. Show 91909Bride's posts

I just wanted to say that my florist, Annette Rinaldi out of Revere is amazing!  She has gotten really good reviews on this board too if you do a search for her.  She was great to work with, reasonable prices, and was willing to work with whatever crazy whim I had!
    I also wanted to recommend my makeup artist, her name is Danielle Ross, and she is incredible.  She is somewhere around $80 for a bride, and $70 for attendants.  Her makeup is TOP NOTCH (Clinique, Christian Dior, Estee Lauder, etc), my Mom and FMIL just went yesterday for a trial, and they were aboslutely beautiful!  We all have similar looks and skin, but she did completely different makeup on each of us to bring out our best features, and make us look truely flawless!

I did want to say that I tried to get Jen at Tangled Web at first, and she books REALLY fast - so if you are looking at her, book early!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

I know you don't need centerpieces, but this was so cool, I have to share!  My FSIL just got married and she made her own centerpieces.  They were so easy and very inexpensive.  She bought 30 orchid stems wholesale online, glass vases at Michaels and floating candles.  She just cut 2 stems per vase, filled it with water and floated the candle on top.  They were gorgeous!  She got the idea here (though her's were taller):

http://www.projectwedding.com/photo/browse?photo_to_show=353963&tag=reception

I think 15 centerpieces cost her about $150 total.

My other piece of advice: don't spend a lot of money or effort on programs.  She made 120 programs a few days before the wedding.  It was a ton of work (assembling, glueing, tying with ribbon) and everyone was up until 3 AM making them.  There were a ton extra and they were all left at the church.  I felt bad since they worked so hard on them.  You definitely don't need 1 per person!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Thanks for all the great ideas! I'm still working on getting in touch with everyone and sorting out all the information.

Trex - I was actually looking for ideas for centerpieces because we don't want to spend the $30 - 50 each. I LOVE that idea and so did FI when I showed it to him.

Nov - I went to J Stevens in Newtonville and Jenny that does weddings will travel to you and she has a makeup contact. She costs more for Sunday morning than I want to spend but it's not totally unreasonable so maybe it will fit in your budget. I still haven't gotten the chance to go to Ciao Bella yet.

Pink - I have a friend that goes to your salon. She loves it and her hair always looks perfect. Great suggestion!

ETA: We weren't planning on having programs. Is this something that we need? The ceremony & reception are at the same place.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Cicirose:  oh great!  I'm glad I could help!  I *loved* her centerpieces.  I almost want to copy them, but I'm not sure if she'd care.  I found this place for orchids (very quick search, there might be better places): 

http://www.wholesale-tropical-flowers.com/

She got hers from a local wholesaler and I think the cost was about the same.

ETA:  I don't think you need programs.  They get read quickly and then left behind.  I do like to read them as a guest (to know who everyone is), but for us, I'll probably just print something really simple and cheap on my computer.  Definitely not worth much time or money.  And I don't think people would miss them much if you didn't have them.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

I think programs are esp good if you are having a ceremony that people won't be familiar with.  e.g. we had a Jewish ceremony, and many guests hadn't been to one before.  THe rabbi encouraged us to do a program that explained some of the important traditions so that everyone could follow along and relate to it. 

We printed ours on etsy and they weren't very expensive.  Many people took them home as souvenirs.