Rental pricing - surcharges?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Rental pricing - surcharges?

Hi everyone,
    I am renting a few items for my reception to "spruce up" our venue a bit.  We are renting chivari chairs, tablecloths, and china.  Our venue placed the rental order with the party rental company since it is a company that they work with frequently and they have subsequently placed a 30% surcharge on top of the rental prices.  Our reception package included basic chairs, dishes and white or ivory linens.  We chose these upgrades never knowing about the 30% surcharge until I figured out that their prices weren't matching what I had been quoted directly from the rental company.  When I asked why their prices were so much higher, my venue has told us that the cost is because they have to "service the rentals".  The only instance where I agree with this is for the chairs because there is obviously some manpower involved in moving out the old chairs and bringing in the new ones.  With the linens and china, I don't really see what they have to do that they wouldn't be doing to their own items.  If anything, by renting other items, I'm saving them the wear-and-tear on their own stuff.  And I am being charged delivery/pick-up fees in addition, which I'm fine with.

Just needed a reality check on this one.  I think the 30% surcharge is a bit high.  I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a similar situation?  Is this a battle worth fighting?

Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Re: Rental pricing - surcharges?

For my wedding, my venue didn't supply anything BUT the tables and chairs.  I can tell you that my caterer/wait staff worked hard to set up the room.  Everything from the rental company comes stacked in crates and wrapped in plastic, so it was time consuming for them getting everything unwrapped and going through the inventory making sure they had everything they were supposed to.  I am guessing it is more work for them than using the ones they have on hand and that's why they charge the 30%.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from elmirag. Show elmirag's posts

I think 30% is a bit pricey, but the real issue is- when did they tell you about the 30% charge? It should have been told to you right up front,so you could decide then if you wanted the upgraded items or not. That's what I'd have the real issue with. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

I dealt with a ton of this..i did those upgrades as well and if i went directly through the rental company the chairs were $6 a chair but were $7 through my venue.  The venue constantly up-charged because they have to be there to have them delivered etc.  In the end we just paid the fees b/c we were getting into hot water when we tried to order things on our own and not through the venue.  30% does seem like a lot, but sounds like you'll have to pay if you want the other stuff.  Is it in your contract? Read the fine print!