Why won't you become a paid subscriber?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Why won't you become a paid subscriber?

I'm hearing a lot of chatter about folks who won't pay for the The Boston Globe once it goes to a fee for service.

Why *wouldn't* folks pay for an online subscription service? (And for those of you who subscribe to the print edition, the online edition will be free.) Websites cost thousands of dollars to produce. Staff has to be paid. Other papers, such as the NYT and my local daily, already charge for full, monthly content.

The Internet has pretty much destroyed newspapers as we know them. Having a paid subscription is an effort to integrate the new with the old media.

Where will you get your news? Broadcast journalism, even the best of it, only covers so much. Blogs, I don't really trust. There's a lot of carp out there on the Web through which one must wade before finding reliable news sources.

Is it that folks who don't want to pay now didn't have print subscriptions in the past? Are you just not interested in hard news, or did you read the papers at your public library?

An educated public is a powerful public - don't you want to be part of that?

I surely hope it's not a case of tightwadism. We might be losing some fine, rational voices here in the forums. The major papers are all expected to move this way; is everyone in this country a tightwad? (Yes, I have a hard limit when it comes to skinflints, unless you really don't have the money to pay for a paper.)

As for me, I'll continue with my print edition, paid, and come here for breaking news and the forums, as well as daily blogs such as Love Letters. I feel I'll be getting a bargain - a Website and a print newspaper for the price of one. I pride myself on being an informed American and a political junkie.

I'll miss some of you when you go.

Thoughts?

Love,

rdg

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Re: Why won't you become a paid subscriber?

I haven't decided whether to subscribe or not, but we fall into an awkward catergory:

We get the print edition every Sunday, from the store, not via home delivery.  It doesn't make sense for us to get home delivery because we purchase other papers at the same time, plus we're already out, so picking up the papers is not an inconvenience.  If I pay for the online version, I'll be paying twice, because I don't envision dropping the hardcopy version.

Also, I have to confess I'm mostly on bdc for the forums, so the online subscription price is a factor, given that I don't read the online version "cover to cover" the way I do the print.

Anyway, those are my musings on the topic, rdg.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

How is this going to work anyway?  I haven't been paying attention.  And when?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Thanks for replying, EES.

Yes, that makes sense for you.

For home subscribers, online is a perk. I wouldn't get LL in home delivery, and on the NYT, wouldn't get all those nifty little videos that accompany some stories. As a news junkie; as a recipe collector, and as a frequent LL contributor, I'll need to do both. Also, when I read a book review and want to purchase the book, I like to clip the reviews and insert them in the books. There's a lot I like to read online, but I don't like having to refer back to online for tasks and memories. Print outs don't do it for me (like printing from Epicurious.com). But I'm so not modern like that, for better or worse. Probably for worse.

-callie,

If you subscribe to the Globe, you get the online edition with your subscription. If you don't subscribe, you have to pay $3.99/week to access the stories on TheBostonGlobe (beginning next month). Boston.com will become a separate entity, and not everything in the Globe will be on Boston.com.

I really don't like the idea of switching between two sites, though. What a nuisance.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

On the one hand, $3.99 seems cheap, but since I often don't have time to read much of the Globe's news stories, for me, it's not a good value.  If it were a dollar a week, I'd pay for many weeks up front, but $4 when I'm getting the Sunday version in print really is not worth it, sadly.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

dog-lady,

The total monthly fee for the NYT site is comparable. However, unlike the Globe, they give readers the option of a 99 cent sample month.

I always like my freedom on any Website, which is why I'll pay monthly fees for sites I use regularly. For example, one of my dating sites charges $20/month to email other members. As I like to chat, I pay it. It's not match.com, but a place where I made a lot of really nice platonic real life friends.