Help me out with the ascension / assumption distinction

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from McBostonrob. Show McBostonrob's posts

Help me out with the ascension / assumption distinction

This is purely academic; and I'm certain I learned it and forgot it, but I'd appreciate any help.

What's the difference between Jesus' ascension and Mary's assumption, and what the heck happened to Elijah?

There are differing answers on google.
    They seem to agree that Jesus' ascension was an action he took himself, whereas with Mary's assumption, somebody else acted to bring her up.
    What I can't figure out if there's a difference in physicality (sources seem to agree that mary went up, body and soul, but they don't say the same thing about Jesus.) Also I'm not sure, but now I'd have to assume that Elijah was assumed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GratedCheese. Show GratedCheese's posts

Re: Help me out with the ascension / assumption distinction

I can only speak to the Catholic perspective - I don't know what the Jewish teaching is regarding Elijah and I'm willing to bet most Protestant traditions have slightly, if not very different, ideas about the Ascension.

Ascension - Jesus is both divine and human. His humanity is 'taken' into heaven, but since He is divine as well human, He is basically taking Himself there - of His own power.

Assumption - She is not divine and has no means of getting there on her own. She is taken into heaven by the power of God, body and soul. There is plenty of debate on whether she died first - no official declaration, but as many scholars believe she did as those who believe she didn't. I've also heard it described as she is the first to enter into the eternity we all will live- body and soul together. The first to be 'raptured', if you will.

Elijah - there wasn't a concept of heaven as we have it in Christian teaching, so to be taken to heaven or to 'Abraham's bosom' was not the same concept as going to live in the presence of God - nor was that an option at that time (pre-crucifixion/resurrection). Also, the book of the Bible was written at a time when the Apocalyptic style of writing was coming into use - some parts may have been literal, some may have been stylized. What happened to him? We don't know for sure. Did he go to heaven as we conceive it now? No. He may have been taken physically to a place where no one would find him - so as not to diminish Elisha's mission or to redirect reverence to him and away from God. Or, spiritually, to where the other holy men and women went - like Abraham, etc. 

I'm by no means a scholar. I hope this helps.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from McBostonrob. Show McBostonrob's posts

That's some good stuff, gratedcheese, thanks.  Especially the stuff about Elijah - it's been a long time since I've thought about stuff like that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GratedCheese. Show GratedCheese's posts

You're welcome! Glad I could help.