Making New Friends

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from daveh7373. Show daveh7373's posts

Making New Friends

Ok I haven't ever started one of these before but here goes nothing. How does someone make new friends especially when you are older like I am. It has been said that i post to get attention but in reality it is an attempt to make friends with people. I really do not have a need for attention that badly. But moving back to Boston one thing I realized is that my old friends all have different lives and you just do not blend back in. So any ideas, suggestions or comments would honestly be very much welcomed. Thanks

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Inter-Planet. Show Inter-Planet's posts

Re: Making New Friends

Hi Daveh,

Posting here is a really good start!  I have made several wonderful friends through LL.  I hope you make it to the next event!!

Another way I have made friends is through MeetUp.  You can browse the meetup groups to find ones in your area that have activities that interest you.  Just make sure to check their calendar to make sure the group has enough planned activities for you.

Even though it is mainly a dating site, okcupid is another way.  There seem to be a lot of people in this area on there.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PowerCord. Show PowerCord's posts

: So what do i do? How do i make friends?
    : If you see a cool looking guy, strike up a conversation and ask him on a man date.
    : Ok.
    : You know what i mean?
    : No.
    : Casual lunch or after work drinks. You're not taking these boys to see The Devil Wears Prada.
    : Ohhhh god i love that movie. No I wont.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kind-of-Irritating-Lady. Show Kind-of-Irritating-Lady's posts

Daveh needs to learn how to SLAPPA DA BAAAAASS MON

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kind-of-Irritating-Lady. Show Kind-of-Irritating-Lady's posts

Attending an event is a good idea.  You can put faces to names - it's easier to converse and even easier to joke around if you know the person behind the avatar.

My only caveat about the events is this:  they are not "singles meetup" events.  I would strongly advise you to go into it with the mindset of meeting new people and making friends, not "who can I pick up from this event".  That just makes people uncomfortable.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatJneenGrrl. Show ThatJneenGrrl's posts

What Chopper said.

This group is about as outgoing on fun as they come.  Just be prepared to let the joking and teasing roll off your back and you'll be just fine.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from daveh7373. Show daveh7373's posts

Was there something in my original post here that led everyone to believe I was looking to pick someone up??? Unless I am mistaken I said that i was trying to make friends. I don't view this blog as a place to find dates. If I met someone who I clicked with that's a different story altogether but that is not my primary focus at all. Just to clarify things

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kind-of-Irritating-Lady. Show Kind-of-Irritating-Lady's posts

Since my new mission is to be as completely clinical and inoffensive as possible to people, please read this disclaimer:  

The following comment is not directed or aimed expressly at you, nor is it intended to hurt, harm or offend you.  The owner of "The-Porkchop-Express" and any of its avatars is not responsible for any harm or offense that is taken from the postings you see here.  The opinions expressed by "The-Porkchop-Express" are the opinions solely those of the author and does not necessarily, and probably doesn't represent the opinons of others.  "The-Porkchop-Express" does not express or imply any warranty or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information in this comment.  "The-Porkchop-Express" will not be held liable for any direct or indirect loss or damage arising under this disclaimer or in connection with reading this comment. By reading this  you accept this disclaimer in full.

Not everything that's said is about YOU -- meaning, daveh.  Sometimes things are just said as a caution, for general information.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Call her and ask if it's August 11 yet.

Right, daveh?

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from captainfriday. Show captainfriday's posts

I think we should call the next LL  event The Daveh Classic. I think your attendance should be mandatory. I have never met a more warm and inviting group of people. I understand where your defensiveness is coming from daveh, but it's really not necessary. You asked for advice and your getting it. Peace....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kind-of-Irritating-Lady. Show Kind-of-Irritating-Lady's posts

The following comment is not directed or aimed expressly at you, nor is it intended to hurt, harm or offend you.  The owner of "The-Porkchop-Express" and any of its avatars is not responsible for any harm or offense that is taken from the postings you see here.  The opinions expressed by "The-Porkchop-Express" are the opinions solely those of the author and does not necessarily, and probably doesn't represent the opinons of others.  "The-Porkchop-Express" does not express or imply any warranty or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information in this comment.  "The-Porkchop-Express" will not be held liable for any direct or indirect loss or damage arising under this disclaimer or in connection with reading this comment. By reading this  you accept this disclaimer in full.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave, trust me.  Read things twice, even three times if you have to.  Study the posting patterns and the "voices" that people speak in.  Observe the "politics" of this place.  Shake things up if you want to, but do it respectfully -- and don't be afraid of backlash.  You'll do alright, just keep your exterior tough, don't take things personally.  Just have fun.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

If you're used to living in cities, as I am, the north and south shores can feel isolating. I look out at the beautiful ocean, but miss, as the song goes "concrete and steel."

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrCorvin. Show MrCorvin's posts

Daveh,

You are going through something similar that I am going through. I had moved away from the area and when I came back, well, people I thought were friends are barely acquantiences due to people having busy lives, no time. Lucky for me, I did get a girlfriend out of it.

I could give you the same advice that other people are giving, I also can say that it can be easier said then done. It's about taking that first step (which, to be quite honest, I haven't even really taken myself). "You know, I AM goin to go to that Underwater Basketweaving Class I've always wanted to do...."

Honestly my goal, when I can afford it, is probably going to one of the adult education centers and take some sort of course...if I'm going to pay money for something I'm going to get my money's worth.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoVa. Show MoVa's posts

So this is only marginally on topic, but here goes. Himself and I went to my 35th HS reunion this weekend. I saw and he met a very nice woman who we independantly had fairly long and somewhat personal conversations with. She is in the process of divorcing her husband of 31 years.
    She immediately friended Himself on FB on Sunday morning, but did not do so with me. I am not in the least bit threatened, but mildly annoyed. Is this justified?

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bzorn22. Show bzorn22's posts

In Response to Re: Making New Friends:
    [QUOTE]So this is only marginally on topic, but here goes. Himself and I went to my 35th HS reunion this weekend. I saw and he met a very nice woman who we independantly had fairly long and somewhat personal conversations with. She is in the process of divorcing her husband of 31 years. She immediately friended Himself on FB on Sunday morning, but did not do so with me. I am not in the least bit threatened, but mildly annoyed. Is this justified?
    Posted by MoVa[/QUOTE]

Depends on who you are annoyed at.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from McBostonrob. Show McBostonrob's posts

Yes, your annoyance is justified. 
    But it sounds like he met her and you didn't.  If that's the case, it's reasonable that she'd friend him and not you.  Annoying, but reasonable.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoVa. Show MoVa's posts

Not annoyed with him in the least. I just thought it was a bit cheesy of her.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoVa. Show MoVa's posts

When I say I saw her, I mean I saw her after 35 years. We had a lengthy conversation about her soon to be ex and her son, not that I nodded politely in passing.