Some Thoughts on The Blog

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bzorn22. Show bzorn22's posts

Re: Some Thoughts on The Blog

I although are still in the past so I am out of here

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

In Response to Re: Some Thoughts on The Blog:
    [QUOTE]I'm not particularly a fan of the argument that just because most of the rest of the internet is worse that that excuses all manner of sins here. 
    Posted by Butterflyz[/QUOTE]

That's actually not the thrust of the argument.  The thrust of the argument is that the work of the people on this blog has enabled it to be so much better than other places.  Is it perfect?  Of course not.  But it is very much improved from other places.  It's almost like we went to some depressed town in the Rust Belt, and renovated a house, and threw out the trash, and fixed the roof, and painted over the graffiti, and now someone is coming in and complaining about the warped floors and the broken front door.

DUDE!  We are doing a fun, good thing here!  You are right!  The floor looks like ihst!  So you know what?  Don't tell me about it, when I just spent a week painting!  Pick Up A Hammer And Help!

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trigger11. Show Trigger11's posts

At this point, you guys are arguing opinions and going in circles. Let's get back to flirting, feces jokes, and innuendos!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeepersCripes. Show JeepersCripes's posts

Oh trigger, I am the black sheep of the blog, and not in a Tom Brady holding one on the cover of GQ kind of way. People claim to hate me, but secretly love me because I have the bones to say whats on my mind. No filter :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Butterflyz. Show Butterflyz's posts

Well, I'm not sure I agree DG. Your post seems to imply that any complaints about the blog are no more than nitpicking and I don't think that's true. Yes, I agree, other forums are far far worse. I too often regret clicking on read comments elsewhere on the web, or even on BDC, but I think it is fair to criticize what we see wrong here, even while acknowledging that it could be a heck of a lot worse. I have always tried to keep my comments as respectful and reasonable as possible, and so do my part to keep the tone civil and polite, but I still see the flaws, but as I said, those flaws are not enough to keep me away.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Some Thoughts on The Blog : Yup.  Too bad you decided I was a fake friend.  Your loss.
    Posted by Corporate-Hippie-Chick[/QUOTE]

Woman, that doesn't even make sense. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archangel Michael. Show Archangel Michael's posts

I consider Kraft to be crap, too.  But it is a step up from Velveeta.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeepersCripes. Show JeepersCripes's posts

I think you are a boxist Lilz.

You should be making it from scratch.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

Not exactly, Butterflyz.  What I am saying (I guess unclearly) is that I think we are a great work in progress, and the amount of time spent pointing at the problems seems to be way too much, in that I think it could be better spent working together to FIX the problems.  It's not that I don't think the problems are serious.  It's that I think the fingerpointing at the problems is of limited usefulness, when what we need is solutions.  And I think just reporting people when someone dislikes their comment is not the solution.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Some Thoughts on The Blog : Ok, really?  I hate generic mac and cheese.  I won't buy most generic foods.  So I'm a classist?  That's a tad ridiculous you had to apologize.  IMO I also don't like generic candy.
    Posted by Lily-[/QUOTE]

Eh, the way it came out I could see there point.  I think the topic was cheapness, and the LW was complaining about it with her bf, but didn't give examples, so we all had to guess if it was just frugality or miserliness.  I gave an example of "If he won't let you spring for the Kraft and makes you buy generic..."  Redwolf and the other person were upset because I think they had been in a position where they couldn't afford Kraft, so felt I was dissing those who cannot afford anything but generic.

And they said they found generic foods to be OK.  All I know is I tried Stop & Shop's Nature's Promise organic mac & cheese and it's not nearly as good as Kraft. Not horrid, but Kraft is better when you want the fake orange processed cheese fix.

I think I also felt guilty (not much, but a little) because I witnessed a close friend of mine be unintentionally insulted by someone who made a pretty snide remark about Hydrox vs. Oreos.  The exact quote was, "Hydrox are for poor people."  Guess what?  My friend grew up eating Hydrox.  And he was right to be insulted.  The offender was pretty obnoxious.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Butterflyz. Show Butterflyz's posts

[QUOTE]But Butterflyz, what you see as "flaws" others may not.  It's all in the interpretation. As for the criticism, my opinion is - feel free to call it out if you see it when/if it happens.  But vague references in forum posts just lead to flame wars.  (In my opinion).
    Posted by Lily-[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. Not everyone is going to agree on what are problems and what are not and the degree of seriousness to which they might be problems, but I don't think anyone would argue that this place is perfect, so I think we all can agree that there are problems, and I think it's perfectly fair to give objective and rational criticism to the best of one's ability when it's warranted.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrCorvin. Show MrCorvin's posts

Honestly I started posting, mostly on the forum due to the threaded nature, but reading through to possibly join the conversation. Granted sometimes I don't post for it feeling like i'm helping to beat a dead horse, but still.

I think the CLOSEST thing I got to any type of a "fight" was a disagreement with Sally on North vs South.

Heck I've been told I should dump my girlfriend on the...oh wait...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

I don't like box mac & cheese.  Except Annie's.  That is all right.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archangel Michael. Show Archangel Michael's posts

Hey, I know sometimes a poster gets fed up with another poster and words get exchanged.  Compare that to a gaming forum, where one member got so mad at another, he tracked down the dude's address, drove 2 states over and posted a pic of himself taking a dump on the other guy's porch.

Just sayin'...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

[QUOTE]Can we get back to the mac and cheese thing?  So because I buy Kraft, I'm a classist?
    Posted by Lily-[/QUOTE]

No, buying Kraft is not classist.  Taking a dig at those who buy generic is.  Granted, I wasn't taking at dig at those who buy generic because they HAVE to, I was taking a dig at those who buy generic because they're too damn cheap.  However, that distinction apparently wasn't clear.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

I love store brand cookies.  And that President's Choice stuff they sell at Shaw's or wherever?  God, those cookies are tasty.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

Schlippo, nerd rage is nothing to ephing laugh at.  For real.  The geeks get scary mad. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Seebell. Show Seebell's posts

Well, my eyeballs are killing me again today because of the 'Time Warp' problem.  I just read a few of the above posts - again because my eyeballs are very sore.
    As for the other day of me yappin & beeyotchin about sockpuppets - I don't know why it annoyed me - but it must've cause I was venting about it - and I could be wrong WHO KNOWS? AND ACTUALLY WHO REALLY CARES about sockpuppets, unless I get in a bad mood - then it's ALL SOCKPUPPETS TO ME.

I'M ACTUALLY SPEECHLESS TODAY - right now - probably cause I vent on here every now and then.  Once I vent - it's like (how can I say nicely) A BURP - It's nasty at first and then AHHHHHHHHHHHH relief.
    But hey that's just me.
    I don't have ANY BEEF WITH ANY ONE ON HERE - TODAY ANYWAYS.
    Also, if nobody got on my nerves every now & then - IT WOULD BORE ME TO TEARS!
    I hope - dispite my sometimes unplanned 'directness' THAT EVERYONE ENJOYS A NICE WEEKEND!  I have NO REASON TO NOT LIKE ANYONE ON HERE.
    I love setting the clocks back an hour and I'm going to enjoy the extra hour rest.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trigger11. Show Trigger11's posts

[QUOTE]"When did offending someone become a crime against humanity?" Offending me is not a crime. I do wish, though, that mentioning an offense or that I felt a line was crossed weren't met with "well, you could always LEEEAVE." Criminy. It's not like I'm telling people stop it. Or like I'm about to flounce off in a snit. Between friends, even virtual ones, it should be OK to say "Too far," treat them like grown-ups and let them choose whether to step it back a notch.
    Posted by ygren[/QUOTE]

I agree! All too often people jump to conclusions, and just here, about what someone actually meant or that the person misunderstood the context and it turns into a petty rant against the individual. It doesn't hurt to take a step back and think before submitting. I should do it way more often myself.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Butterflyz. Show Butterflyz's posts

DG, I agree, that by and large, reporting comments is not a solution. The only solution I see is more objective self-policing by the regulars combined along with heightened self accountability for transgressions. That means that bad behavior is consistently called out, not through more abuse, but rationally and reasonably, vocally when necessary and appropropirate, and that those who continuously engage in bad behavior whether they are a new troll or a long time regular are ignored by all. This is probably not realistic, but it is the solution I would employ

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

HYDROX!!!!   Those are the fake Oreos, right!?  We had those.  Warm glow of nostalgia.  Also, we used to eat spaghetti and margarine for dinner.  Nutritionally devoid, but something to fill us up.