Bob Lobel and Local News Providers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Funny you said that. We moved from channel 4 - just because of Bob Lobel.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from janmacyy. Show janmacyy's posts

I could not have said it better MW.�

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from grizzledizzle. Show grizzledizzle's posts

Bob Lobel sucked.� Dan Shaghnessy Sucks.� New England sports fans suck.� How about some cautious optimism people, oh wait, what do�I hear? Those fa**in' Red Sawx are already 3-1, heah comes a world series...Really?� You're sports reporters are the biggest hacks this side of the international date line and the fans are as pretentious and arrogant as they come, with very little to be pretentious and arrogant about (no, a few years of good teams does not give you license to be the most arrogant fans in the country).� Bring in the outsiders, let them report the actual news, or better yet, skip the local idiots, as more and more people are doing as of late, and turn on a real news anchor at 6:30 pm for stories that impact the country.� Yes, you'll be happy that I'm leaving Boston as fast as I got here, there are nicer residents in the penitentiary in most states.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sandybaby. Show sandybaby's posts

Did anyone watch the news yesterday evening? Lobel was sh*tfaced.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from janmacyy. Show janmacyy's posts

You are right on the money about Scott Wahle Hal.� I always watched both Scott & Barry on 'BZ every morning at 5.� That dork David Wade is the poorest excuse for a anchor I have ever seen.� He is just clueless.� And putting Barry on the weekends in favor of Todd Gutner in the morning, what a mistake!� It should be the other way around.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from axman96. Show axman96's posts

I never understood how so many thought that Bob Lobel was so great.� He seems like a nice enough guy, but I just didn't find him to be all that entertaining or informative.� I guess I can see how his folksy, laid back demeanor would be appealing to some, but to me it seemed a bit, I don't know, unprofessional, or unserious perhaps?� Maybe those aren't the right words, but I just thought he was kind of annoying and never really dug his style.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from axman96. Show axman96's posts

If he looks old and sickly, then yes, its not a good idea for him to be on TV.� TV viewers generally don't want to see old and sickly men, regardless of how much they know about sports.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from luiesmom. Show luiesmom's posts

This is about more than just the personalities involved.� Bob Lobel started out on the radio, and I'm sure he got the job because of his knowledge and personality. My problem with this whole issue is that these people are being replaced with robots. They are shallow, uninformed, and have absolutely no idea what they are reading half the time. (and they ARE reading) You may not like looking at a man or woman who is older than 40, but these are the people we should be listening to because they know what they are doing. I hate to think that everyone is following� WHDH's business outline, as that station has the worst newscasters on tv.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hal9000. Show hal9000's posts

Janmacy, you said everything else I was thinking about 'BZ in the morning. I especially miss Barry Burbank and have enjoyed seeing him this week.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from billywalsh. Show billywalsh's posts

At least Hazel Mae and Tina can put two sentences together without tripping over their drymouth tongues

I trip over my own tongue everytime Hazel Mae speaks!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrismixx. Show chrismixx's posts

I think you nailed it, luiesmom - we can debate whether or not Bob should have been put out to pasture just yet - and apparently we will, judging by the number of entries on this blog - but the overall homogenizing of the news biz and so-called "personalities" has got to stop.� Unfortunately, I don't think it will anytime soon . . .

There are reasons why people like Johnny Most were as popular as they were, they weren't afraid to express an opinion, they were most definitely on the side of the hometown fan - and that, more than anything, is why Mr. Lobel was popular, too, IMHO.� The current crop of 20-something newsreaders is being bred to be just another pretty face that only has to read a teleprompter, but I always go away feeling like they have no idea what they've just read - that, if you asked them half an hour later what the news was, they wouldn't be able to tell you . . .

Sad, sad - thank God we have blogs like this where opinion still matters . . . ;-)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from luiesmom. Show luiesmom's posts

Yes, we do have out blogs! Sometimes opinion matters, but sometimes on blogs it is nastiness and meanness that matter. Too often, people who can't argue their points with intellect, argue with insults. (As have some on this blog) Back to the point: local newstations are more interested in sensationalism than news. These stories are repeated over and over (and 4 more times on week-ends) without any new information. They have also forgotten the rules of journalism: what, why when, where, who and how. I watched a news story on WHDH last week that left us with more questions than before. They are often vague, and if you listen very carfully, you can pick up prejudices in the wordage used by the news writers.�� Its all a business now, not an institution as it should be.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from legend32. Show legend32's posts

I didn't see any on-air minorities get fired.� Try making it on-air if your a non-minority or don't look like a perfect 10 model.� I've been in the business for 20 years and the last 5 years or so if you have the "look" but less of a skill set you'll get the job over the person without "the Look".� FACT.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hal9000. Show hal9000's posts

Lucy, I grew up here in the '50s in a "WBZ" family--my parents listened to WBZ radio in the morning (when they still played music in between news reports; Carl DeSuze did the news, Don Kent the weather) and WBZ TV for news and most programs. You are right about having some comfort in your life, and I still tune to WBZ radio and TV, so it's unsettling to keep seeing these changes. So many people stayed for so long once upon a time, you knew them and felt a trust build, but now it seems to be just another entertainment business competing with other media for advertising dollars. (I imagine someone will comment on folks of our era being overly nostalgic, but I'd suggest to them to wait as the years go by for themselves before making a final judgment on us 'old timers.')

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dlfoster. Show dlfoster's posts

I'm truly disappointed with the local new stations lately, especially the morning sessions.� At one point in time, I wouldn't miss the morning news with Scott Wahle, Kerry Connolly, and Barry Burbank...my favorite team!� As soon as Kerry left and Paula Ebben came on board I was dismayed because there is something about Ms. Ebben that is off-putting.� She doesn't seem like a trust-worthy individual, so I'm reluctant to attend to her when she's on.� I got to the point of turning the channel whenever she reported and switching back for Scott Wahle (a MOST professional gentleman) or to check on Barry's weather report.� I was dumbfounded when Scott Wahle was taken off the morning program and switched to Channel 5.� I can't watch channel 7 either since Jonathan Hall left because the announcers are so immature and silly. They continually make ridiculous jokes with each other.� Additionally, the female announcer's�clothing choices are often unprofessional....but maybe she isn't paid enough to allow for the purchasing of more suitable on-air clothing.� Personally, I liked a lot of the "old" announcers and�will miss them. Now I take a quick look at Channel 5 for the local news from 6:45 to 6:55 AM, then I switch to CNN.� If these stations are trying to get more viewers, they are going about it incorrectly as far as I'm concerned.� They've lost me.�

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hal9000. Show hal9000's posts

SiestaKeyRich, your comments are priceless! I am with you and DLinus. I wish we were the target demographic for news reporting, which is obviously not the case any more.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from grizzledizzle. Show grizzledizzle's posts

I like how people who have lived outside of Massachusetts, ever, in their entire lives, are gypsies.� Nice.� How's Lynn.� Or is it Brockton? Saugus? Peabody?� Some Ma**hole enclave.This just about sums it up. http://kissmesuzy.blogspot.com/2008/04/ha-fackin-pats-did-win-supah-bowl-yah.html

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from legend32. Show legend32's posts

Taco-Consider this, nothing is holding me back.� I have 20 years in the business.� I was never on air nor ever wanted to be.� So please re-explain your comment on "How my communication is holding me back"What I wrote wasn't an opinion it was FACT.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from legend32. Show legend32's posts

Taco,� I'm a reporter?� Did I say that?� Am I producer who writes for a living?� Did I say that?� I may not be an articulate writer or speller for that matter but I do know what the facts are�in this business.�� So if you can put that behind you I'll tell you how it works.� �I have seen many talented people, whom I did not know personally, send in professional resume tapes but because of their ethnicity they did not recieve a call back because you can only interview so many non-minorities.� Another person made a great post about how, and I believe they were speaking of ch. 7-but I could be mistaken, about how having every nationality on air is more important than having the best talent.� It probably all comes down from pressure from the advertisers.� Now Tico if you can prove me wrong I would love to read it.� You've already mistaken me for a journalist, called me a teenager and in so many words say that I've been overlooked for a job that I didn't get--your wrong on each one.� Prove my original statement false and I will tip my cap to you.� Minorities and model-type women have a major advanage over a white male.� FACT.