Facebook owes her? I think not.

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re: Facebook owes her? I think not.

No one owes her anything...she should have been smarter. She should just consider it a life lesson and move on. Never mix professional and personal...ever.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Facebook's privacy settings weren't ever rocket science.  If she couldn't figure those out, maybe she shouldn't be teaching.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from clouts. Show clouts's posts

She complained about her job.  The job was taken away.  Problem solved.  Nothing more to complain about.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Facebook owes her? I think not.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Facebook owes her? I think not. : Publicly disparaging one's employer is a perfectly reasonable ground for termination.
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]

Furthermore, her making those disparaging statements publically by accident means she's either not capable of reading, processing, and following directions or careless.  The school board can argue that neither of these traits makes for a good teacher.  And, yes, we've all been careless, but none of us are owed a break for it.  Sometimes we get a break and aren't held to the fire for it, sometimes we don't get a break and have to face the consequences.  But, that's life.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]Her beef should be with her employer, not Facebook.    BTW: If she wins her appeal even though it may take years...not only will she get her job back but most likely she will receive retroactive pay.
    Posted by dog-lady[/QUOTE]

Doglady..she is an administrator not a teacher...so I doubt the teacher's union will have much sympathy for her cause.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

If you don't want certain people to see your posts, don't post them.

I'm self-employed. I don't talk about my clients, ever. None of the are on my friends list.

Facebook can be wonderful for professional networking. It can also be big trouble for that. Since th woman in question likes social networking sites, she should have had two accounts if she wanted it for the latter. One for close friends and family - where she could kvetch to her heart's content - the other for her career.

A Love Letters poster lost his job a couple of years ago over things said on LL. A friend of mine lost his job for even less, because he was using a social networking site on company time (not his lunch hour or coffee breaks, but work time).

It sucks, but it's reality now.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

ETA - Her family & friends page should be in a nickname, so her employer can't find that page by her real name.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]http://www.wickedlocal.com/cohasset/features/x2092797543/Cohasset-School-administrator-quits-over-Facebook-post#axzz1eHyXSsab
    Okay..so in reading the article..she resigned..so case closed. Lesson hopefully learned...

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanceWithMe71. Show DanceWithMe71's posts

If you go on facebook you should be able to know that your status updates are not for everyone to see. facebook is confusing to people who don't know how to change the defaults.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If someone isn't internet savvy and/or finds the privacy settings confusing (both reasonable), all the more reason for that person to be extra careful about what one posts.  If you aren't 100% sure it's private it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that you shouldn't risk it.  I mean, if her excuse is, "I didn't know," then what was she cavalierly posting disparaging remarks for as if she were positive it was private???  

Yet another argument against her being in the education business to begin with.  Maybe she hated it because she's not bright enough to figure out that if she isn't capable of validating that something is private she doesn't blabber as if it's a certainty.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]I don't know what "filter what you share means"     why does Facebook contact me   telling me someone wants to friend me?  I constantly delete these invites,  they offer no explanation as to what it would mean if I accepted!    By the way you don't know this woman and are in no position to judge her!    Another thing, being forced to resign is the same thing as being fired!   Ask a lawyer if you don't believe me.
    Actually..technically there is a difference..this is something I did discuss with a lawyer friend of mine after someone I am close to lost their job a few months ago.The differences really have to do with compensation and eligibility to collect unemployment.
    I suppose she could try to make a case for constructive discharge..but it probably wouldn't work out since she was the cause of her hostile situation.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Facebook owes her? I think not.:
    [QUOTE]F acebook reportedly plans to tighten its privacy policies to appease federal regulators, but a Hub woman who lost her job over postings she didn’t realize everyone could see isn’t exactly “friending” the deal. “It’s coming a year and a half too late to help me. (Facebook) has destroyed my life,” said June Talvitie-Siple, who lost her school administrator position in 2010 after posting remarks on her Facebook “wall” that criticized her employer. The Wall Street Journal reported yesterday that Facebook is close to resolving a Federal Trade Commission investigation into the social media giant’s 2009 decision to make users’ names and other information public by default. Critics claim Facebook’s move to change privacy policies without users’ permission constitutes an “unfair and deceptive” trade practice. But unnamed sources told the Journal that Facebook has agreed to settle such allegations by promising to always seek consumer permission before adopting future privacy-rule changes. More privacy would have helped Talvitie-Siple, who thought only friends could see Facebook postings that slammed her nearly $100,000-a-year job as a Cohasset school administrator. The woman called Cohasset residents “arrogant and snobby” in one posting, adding: “(I am) so not looking forward to another year at Cohasset Schools.” Talvitie-Siple also referred to students as “germ bags” in a posting written when she was sick. The 57-year-old lost her job after school officials saw her postings and hasn’t been able to find work in academia since. “What I did was complain about my job, like everybody does,” Talvitie-Siple told the Herald yesterday. “It’s just that instead of (complaining) behind a solid door, I was behind an electronic door — and Facebook opened it.” So while Talvitie-Siple is glad Facebook is apparently agreeing not to release users’ personal information without permission, she said any deal also should include things such as wall postings. “Anything that’s private should remain private,” she said. -— jkronenberg@bostonherald.com
    Posted by msobstinate99[/QUOTE]

I'm curious as to what she actually said here and why "Facebook" is in parenthesis, because, as written, this statement goes a long way toward explaining exactly what has become wrong with society in the 21st century.

Facebook didn't destroy your life, dear . . .   you did.

Own it.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DRV10. Show DRV10's posts

if you don't want the world to see it don't post it! Simple. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

It really isn't that difficult to understand that something said in a public place may be overheard by the wrong people. The internet is a public place. You'd have to live under a rock (with a wireless connection) to think otherwise. There are stories every single day about unintentional leaks of information.

It's basically the same thing as making these statements in a crowded restaurant and assuming no one will overhear. Most people won't pay attention, but all it takes is one person to hear the wrong thing.