Forcing employees to get medical procedures - OK, or violation of human rights?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

Forcing employees to get medical procedures - OK, or violation of human rights?

An ethical question for you.
    2 Boston hospitals (BIDMC and Children's) are now mandating their staff to get the flu shot every year. In theory this is to keep patients safe (in reality it's about saving $$$ on sick time). However, several of their staff never see a patient (clerical staff, scientists, support staff etc), and have previously been able to "decline" the offer of a free vaccine. 
    Now its the case of "get the vaccine or you are fired".
    I use the analogy of forcing all waitresses to get boobjobs. They get better tips so its better for them in pay, but its a medical procedure. Flu shot is no different.
    What's next, only employing non-smokers or people under a certain BMI (ie skinny people), because it makes the health-plan cheaper?
    In summary is forcing people to get the flu shot actually against human rights laws? I wish there was an ACLU rep reading this. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Re: Forcing employees to get medical procedures - OK, or violation of human rights?

You can refuse the flu shot if you experienced an allergic reaction the last time you had it and your dr has advised you to avoid all vaccines.  Get a letter from your dr if you have to.    PS: symptoms ... rash, difficulty breathing, responded to benadryl     Some people have a reaction to something in the preservative, just can't tolerate it.  I bet if it's against your religion you can refuse,  anyone know ? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

Re: Forcing employees to get medical procedures - OK, or violation of human rights?

Refusing it due to adverse reactions is allowed, with a doctors note (ofcourse you will have to pay to see your doctor, make an appointment, go through many levels of hassle).
    But why should that be the only reason anyhow? 

What if you just don't believe in getting an unnecessary shot? What then?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I disagree with forcing it.  Personally, I stopped getting the flu shot after the one time I took it I got flu symptoms (I know, not the real flu) for 4 days pretty bad.  I haven't gotten the shot or the flu since, and it's been 10 years.  If I were being forced to get it I'd be pretty upset, although, in this economy, I'd do it.  That's what sick time is for, I guess.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Well,  if you call your dr's office ahead of time and tell them you just need the note because you had an adverse reaction way back when and your workplace is requiring it, you shouldn't have to pay for a visit ... better yet tell them to fax, e-mail or snail mail you the letter if you don't have time to pick it up.  If it's a union job it might be easier to refuse,  they must be making it  an infection control thing,  like the annual PPD.  Certain religions don't believe in these things ... do some research.   If you are in the union check with your union rep regarding your right to refuse and options.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/APHA/29430  Check out the comments.