Is Boston snobby?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Is Boston snobby?

Travel and Leisure put Boston third on its list of the snobbiest cities, right after San Francisco and New York. The magazine, who used “smarty-pants residents” as one of their criteria, says visitors may “detect a certain air of superiority” due to our locals possessing Ivy League-worthy brains. But although we have the smarts, they couldn’t help add in a dig that our driving skills come up short.

What do you think? Is Boston a snobby city? Did they rank us appropriately on their list?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigduke. Show bigduke's posts

Re: Is Boston snobby?

Yes and No.    Like any city there are a lot of people who are very down to earth and humble, and there are people who are infatuated with their own lifestyle, possessions, etc.    I would not call Boston snobbish, but I would call it less-friendly.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I would not consider Boston snobby. If you walk around the city there are lots of friendly people. The North End is definitely the friendliest neighborhood in the city. I can see where travelers might get that idea if they visit travel sites such as the Trip Advisor Boston forum. There are some pretty snobby locals there. There are also some pretty snobby people on Chowhound...a dining site commonly used by travelers.

Perhaps in comparison..I don't know. I do know that people are generally much friendlier up north.

" Above all..be the heroine in your life..not the victim" Nora Ephron

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MBBR. Show MBBR's posts

Since when does smart = snobby?  That's a pretty sad reflection on society.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lorna. Show Lorna's posts

In response to nadf4ever's comment:

Snobby isn't the right word.  I would say uptight and provincial.  They are certainly mean, ill-tempered, and rude. People from Boston -and MA as a whole- think that the world revolves around this place.  Anybody from anywhere else is somehow inferior.  Very clique-ish and exclusive.  Natives from this area hate newcomers.  They look at everybody who wasn't born here with a suspicious and condescending eye.  If your grandfather didn't know so and so's grandfather, then they won't even give you a chance.   

Not sure where this site came up with all of these rankings. 

Awful weather- 7 months of cold, rain, and misery.

Too expensive- everything here is a ripoff and not worth it. 

The worst, angriest, and most impatient drivers in the country.  Road rage is as common a personality trait here as is talking too loud.

Boston accents sound uneducated and ignorant.  Seriously- learn how to talk.  And it's even worse on these local women.  Nothing is more unfeminine than hearing a woman with a Boston accent.  Talk about killing any chance of seduction and romance.  If you can somehow get past how ugly they are, then they open their mouths and the truck driver Boston accent pours out.  Talk about killing the mood. 

Boston the # 1 city for single men?!  Haaaah!  That's the funniest thing I've heard all week.  The women in this area are the ugliest and most miserable women in the country.  They hate men and they all act like they deserve to be treated like princesses- despite the fact that they are the ugliest women in any state that I've ever been too.  AND, they have the worst attitudes and treat men like dogs.  I'd rather be single than with one of these local lowly creatures. 

So Boston- at least you have two good things here:  Sports and food! 

Wow, maybe women hate you because you're obnoxious, overbearing, rude, and full of it yourself!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from morbius. Show morbius's posts

An inherent symptom of an inferiority complex is overcompensation through rudeness and bloister. Bunch of T-shirts printed in the last two months should suffice for this QED.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olivette. Show Olivette's posts

In response to BostonDotCom's comment:

Travel and Leisure put Boston third on its list of the snobbiest cities, right after San Francisco and New York. The magazine, who used “smarty-pants residents” as one of their criteria, says visitors may “detect a certain air of superiority” due to our locals possessing Ivy League-worthy brains. But although we have the smarts, they couldn’t help add in a dig that our driving skills come up short.

What do you think? Is Boston a snobby city? Did they rank us appropriately on their list?

How can one respond to someone "detecting a certain air of superiority?" If they had given specific words or actions, it would be possible to respond.

I think that this is a classic case of projection on the part of people who may feel intimidated because they assume they are not as smart as people who are qualified to go to ivy league colleges. And they may be right, but that does not mean that people who are smarter than them are being snobby, it only means that the visitors feel insecure.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from marzxyz. Show marzxyz's posts

I don't know about "snobby," but the City of Boston, as evidenced by the day-to-day content on Boston.com. is surely the most self-conscious city in America, if not the world.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Katiesaunt. Show Katiesaunt's posts

My husband who is from the midwest says Boston is "clanish."  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kathern. Show Kathern's posts

Boston is not snobby. Just look at the outpouring of sensitivity of the Marathon.  What we are is cautious.  We do not become your best pal right away, but we can and do become a very good friend when we get to know you. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vito971. Show Vito971's posts

Up with the condescention of some people around here, I shall not put.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from texryder4444. Show texryder4444's posts

It largely depends on how you pronounce the word "half"  ;-))

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from qullter1. Show qullter1's posts

Snobby isn't the right word.  I would say uptight and provincial.  They are certainly mean, ill-tempered, and rude. People from Boston -and MA as a whole- think that the world revolves around this place.  Anybody from anywhere else is somehow inferior.  Very clique-ish and exclusive.  Natives from this area hate newcomers.  They look at everybody who wasn't born here with a suspicious and condescending eye.  If your grandfather didn't know so and so's grandfather, then they won't even give you a chance.   

The worst, angriest, and most impatient drivers in the country.  Road rage is as common a personality trait here as is talking too loud.

Boston accents sound uneducated and ignorant.  Seriously- learn how to talk.  And it's even worse on these local women.  Nothing is more unfeminine than hearing a woman with a Boston accent.  Talk about killing any chance of seduction and romance.  If you can somehow get past how ugly they are, then they open their mouths and the truck driver Boston accent pours out.  Talk about killing the mood. 

Boston the # 1 city for single men?!  Haaaah!  That's the funniest thing I've heard all week.  The women in this area are the ugliest and most miserable women in the country.  They hate men and they all act like they deserve to be treated like princesses- despite the fact that they are the ugliest women in any state that I've ever been too.  AND, they have the worst attitudes and treat men like dogs.  I'd rather be single than with one of these local lowly creatures. 

I get the opinion that you do not like many things about Boston, my advice is move and look for the less ugly women in other states. Why do you stay if you feel unwanted!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rad666. Show rad666's posts

nadf4ever

Are you sure you aren't from Boston?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leenie1. Show Leenie1's posts

In response to Lorna's comment:

LOL Lorna!! Perhaps someone isn't getting any around here, and maybe needs to move somewhere where he will have more luck. HA!

Wow, maybe women hate you because you're obnoxious, overbearing, rude, and full of it yourself!

[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leenie1. Show Leenie1's posts

In response to rad666's comment:

Excellent, good one!

nadf4ever

[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leenie1. Show Leenie1's posts

In response to BostonDotCom's comment:

Yes,accents -check,  rude - check, extremely aggressive drivers - check, unfriendly - at least initially, yes check. We have our share of snobs as well. Probably won't change anytime soon.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosrez. Show bosrez's posts

Absolutely, and it's a delusion they have. Bostonians can't simply go about and enjoy themselves without putting other people down. I noticed it when I first visited Boston decades ago for a Red Sox game: their source of team unity was "Yankees Suck." They look like insecure, overcompensating idiots to the rest of the world.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nehiker. Show nehiker's posts

I would not say snobby but definetly less friendly.  Before retirement I lived in Boston most of my life.  I now split my time between the Cape and Key West.  There is no comparison.  Key West is much, much, much more warm and friendly than the Cape.  My husband and I have also noticed that most of the friendy folks that we meet in Key West seem to be from the south or other areas outside of the Northeast.  The coldness of people (did not notice it when we lived here full time) is almost jolting when we return to the Cape each summer from Key West.  When living on the Cape I miss Key West.  I never miss the Cape when I am down in Key West. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Recalcitrant Robin. Show Recalcitrant Robin's posts

Well Lorna actually women from every other city and state love me!  It's just you hairy, neanderthal, knuckle dragging women from Boston that don't.
    Go "paahhhk yah caahhh" and crawl back into your cave.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like someone is a little too uppity for his own good, speaking of snobs. Methinks he was unsuccessful in the dating arena and now feels the need to demonize us because a few women saw him for what he is: conceited, and that NEVER goes over well. Get over yourself, dude.

It's ironic that he thinks Boston accents sound uneducated because Massachusetts is the most educated state in the country. (Another irony: for a real Boston accent, you have to go to Worcester.) Around here, men are attracted to brainy women, not airhead Barbies with too much makeup who coo around men. This is not the South. We find acerbic wit charming. We insult each other as terms of endearment. Despite his distaste for Boston women, we are unconcerned that he doesn't like us because, you see, we have no problem finding and keeping men (Massachusetts also has the lowest divorce rate in the country.) Here in the geek capital of the universe, my husband loves me 'cuz I'm wicked smaht. Smile Besides, if you want to talk about irritating accents, let's start with the nails-on-chalkboard nasal sound of the  Upper Midwest that ranges from Michigan to North Dakota, or the treacly phoniness that is the Southern accent or the perfectly enunciated accents of Californians--but with no brains behind them whatsoever, but I digress.

Allow me to clarify: we are sarcastic with no tolerance for superficialities and artifice. We do not wear our emotions on our sleeves--unless it involves the Bruins, Red Sox, Patriots, or Celtics. Even then, we are critical. We are reserved. We have a dry sense of humor. We do have the highest number of colleges per capita than anywhere else in the world, which elevates the average level of discourse. Even people without college degrees are educated by osmosis. We are not going to treat you like our long lost buddy when we first meet because, well, we don't know you--but stick with us and you will have a loyal friend for life. We are not backstabbers. We don't mince words and we might seem unfriendly but we are not mean.  If other people say we're snobs, so be it. They--and you--never bothered to get to know us.

And the driving: we are the most skilled drivers in the country. We have to be in order to pull off the maneuvers that we do. Smile Driving is not transportation but a sport, and as soon as non-Bostonians realize this, the better off they will be. Yes, we have our own protocol. It's just not anyone else's protocol. This involves loud expressions of disgust, profanity, and obscene gestures as well as what would be considered unorthodox maneuvers elsewhere. It's all part of the sport, kind of like punk rock on wheels.  (Hint: obtain a 15 year old Buick, drive with abandon, and people will get out of your way. You'll feel better.)

We do like outsiders. We are proud and want to show off our area. We are not like any other part of the country. Yes, many transplants do experience culture shock. But you can't come in with an uppity attitude, either, and expect us to be like Atlanta, Minneapolis, or DesMoines. You give us a chance and we'll give you a chance.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Recalcitrant Robin. Show Recalcitrant Robin's posts

In response to rad666's comment:

nadf4ever

No, he's not from New England, otherwise he would have written under "nadf4evah."

25. This post has been removed.