Man Kills Bear

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Man Kills Bear

What part of: Do Not Put Birdfeeders Up In Your Backyard, Because It Will Attract Wildlife Do People Not Understand? 

(CBS) – A 76-year-old Auburn man is facing charges after killing a bear in his backyard.

Richard Ahlstrand told WBZ-TV he was stocking his bird feeder Friday night when a bear about seven feet tall and 300-to-400 pounds started chasing him.

That’s when he turned his shotgun on the bear.

“I didn’t have time to aim through the sights, but I aimed in the direction of the head on this thing and I pulled the trigger before it got to me.  It just dropped,” he said.

Ahlstrand said he was carrying the shotgun Friday night because he thought he saw the bear in his yard Thursday.

“If that ever jumped on me, I wouldn’t even be here right know, I don’t think.  I know it was going to seriously maul me,” he said.

Ahlstrand is now charged with illegally killing a bear, illegally baiting a bear, illegal possession of a firearm and failing to secure a weapon.

Authorities believed the female bear had cubs.  Ahlstrand says he feels bad about that, but he believes he being unfairly labeled.

“They got me set up now like I’m some kind of murderer.  And then the environmental guy told me ‘You should have called me instead of shooting it.’  What was I going to do, say ‘Mister Bear would excuse me please while I go make a phone call?’”

Police don’t believe the bear was a threat to people.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

Re: Man Kills Bear

It doesn't sound like he is all there. Glad he was charged and his illegal guns were confiscated.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

In response to ms_obstinate's comment:

Ironic that his right to bear arms was taken away by a bear.  Wink

{#emotions_dlg.sealed}

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to FaolanofEssex's comment:

It doesn't sound like he is all there. Glad he was charged and his illegal guns were confiscated.

Hi friend :-)

I agree. I think there's more to the story that we are just not hearing. Besides..he stated he had seen a bear the night before . In that case..why even bother going out to restock the birdfeeder that attracted the bear in the first place. 

The saddest part is that now there are two cubs out there whose mother is dead and who may not survive themselves.

I guess when you have a gun...the gun becomes the first solution rather than the solution of last resort. Think about it..if this guy did not own a gun..he would likely never have been out there refilling his birdfeeder. In this case..I agree with the authorities. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Besides..didn't I read that he also had illegal guns?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

http://reason.com/blog/2013/04/08/man-faces-charges-after-defending-himsel

"he's charged with "illegally killing a bear, illegally baiting a bear, illegal possession of a firearm and failure to secure a firearm."

He had a 50 gallon drum of birdseed out there in his backyard!

I hope the environmental people looked for the cubs.

And why do people keep bringing up his age, like that's an excuse?

A lot of people are sharp as a tack at age 76.

Does he have Alzheimers?  Is he demented?  I suppose his lawyer will look into these questions.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to Robin39's comment:

http://reason.com/blog/2013/04/08/man-faces-charges-after-defending-himsel

"he's charged with "illegally killing a bear, illegally baiting a bear, illegal possession of a firearm and failure to secure a firearm."

He had a 50 gallon drum of birdseed out there in his backyard!

I hope the environmental people looked for the cubs.

And why do people keep bringing up his age, like that's an excuse?

A lot of people are sharp as a tack at age 76.

Does he have Alzheimers?  Is he demented?  I suppose his lawyer will look into these questions.

I am with you on this one Robin...and I don't think his age should be a factor unless it's proven that he is suffering from some form of dementia. More likely he is suffering from a condition called "gun mentality".

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Is it illegal to have birdseed out?  I have never heard or even considered that having bird feed could bate bears.  What about having a trash can, or grilling in your backyard?  Seems to me he had every right to sensibly defend himself.  If his gun was illegal, that is a separate issue that should warrant a minimal punishment in accordance with the law.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

No it is not illegal to have birdseed out.  But not necessary for their survival.

In the winter they could use some fresh water that won't freeze, but that's about it, imo.

In fact,  it puts them at risk, I have a neighbor that has her birdfeeder stuck to her window.

Just yesterday while walking my dog, I watched a red tailed hawk scoop down and grab a starling that was feeding there and fly off with it in it's clutches, the rest of the birds were screaming, a horrific scene, one that I have witnessed before.

I like to watch the birds, I have a few birdhouses that are stratigically placed in my backyard, they are very busy this time of year, I don't have to feed them to be entertained.

There are plenty of worms and berries for them to eat.

Btw: Birdseed attracts rodents, mice in particular.  Squirrels set up shop.  Squirrels like to chew on electrical wiring (same as mice).

Homeowners insurance does not cover damage done by rodents (squirrels are rodents), found that out the hard way! 

The guy in question had a 50 gallon drum of birdseed out in his backyard, what do you expect a starving animal to do?

Trash cans should be metal, closed tightly, and kept in an enclosure if possible.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to shenanigan's comment:

Is it illegal to have birdseed out?  I have never heard or even considered that having bird feed could bate bears.  What about having a trash can, or grilling in your backyard?  Seems to me he had every right to sensibly defend himself.  If his gun was illegal, that is a separate issue that should warrant a minimal punishment in accordance with the law.  

It is not necessarily illegal in MA..but people who live in rural settings know that if you do so..you run the risk of attracting bears. I know up in the White Mountains..they take this a lot more seriously because there are bears everywhere...but this guy knew the risk..he knew there was a bear in the neighborhood ( having seen it near his birdfeeder the day before).  To then go out and add to the temptation to me is tantamount to baiting the bear. The authorities clearly felt his behavior was reckless enough to charge him. He shouldn't have been out there in the first place. I am sure the gun made him brave..and reckless.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Actually, most condos and apartment complexes don't allow you to put up birdfeeders. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Bear euthanized after chasing dog, attacking woman I Wish People Would STOP PUTTING UP BIRDFEEDERS

WEST HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — Environmental authorities say they euthanized a 200-pound black bear that attempted to chase a dog into a Connecticut home.

The state's Department of Energy and Environmental Protection says the dog's owner, Sharon Flannery, told authorities she received a puncture wound and scratches on her leg as she tried to get the dog safely into the house.

The female bear entered the West Hartford yard with two cubs around 7:30 a.m. The two cubs later ran up a tree in an adjacent yard with the bear. The cubs were tranquilized and released into a wooded area.

Flannery was treated at a hospital and released.

All three bears had previously been tagged by state wildlife officials

Black bears generally avoid contact with people but can grow bolder if they regularly find food near houses.

ETA: Stop trying to entice wildlife into your yard for entertainment purposes,  and then complain when they become aggressive or you attract a species you're not interested in..

They don't need your handouts, you are putting them in harms way.

Start by taking down the birdfeeders.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

We used to spend summers up in the White Mountains. Local officials were very strict about anything that could attract bears. It's really not rocket science. If you live in an area prone to bears..don't put out bird feeders..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

State Police shoot and kill black bear in Newton

Bears are everywhere, take down the birdfeeders!    http://www.universalhub.com/2013/state-police-shoot-and-kill-black-bear-newton

By adamg - 6/2/13 - 8:07 am

Per Kate Merrill, tranquilizers this morning didn't work against the bear, in a tree on Eddy Street, overlooking the turnpike just west of the supermarket overpass. The turnpike was briefly shut.

Kimball Megan reports her outbound Worcester Line train was briefly delayed around 7:45 last night because the bear was on the tracks.

Two photos by WBZ of the bear before it was shot.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

In response to RockinRobin39's comment:

No it is not illegal to have birdseed out.  But not necessary for their survival.

In the winter they could use some fresh water that won't freeze, but that's about it, imo.

In fact,  it puts them at risk, I have a neighbor that has her birdfeeder stuck to her window.

Just yesterday while walking my dogI watched a red tailed hawk scoop down and grab a starling that was feeding there and fly off with it in it's clutches, the rest of the birds were screaming, a horrific scene, one that I have witnessed before.

I like to watch the birds, I have a few birdhouses that are stratigically placed in my backyard, they are very busy this time of year, I don't have to feed them to be entertained.

There are plenty of worms and berries for them to eat.

Btw: Birdseed attracts rodents, mice in particular.  Squirrels set up shop.  Squirrels like to chew on electrical wiring (same as mice).

Homeowners insurance does not cover damage done by rodents (squirrels are rodents), found that out the hard way! 

The guy in question had a 50 gallon drum of birdseed out in his backyard, what do you expect a starving animal to do?

Trash cans should be metal, closed tightly, and kept in an enclosure if possible.

I saw a hawk swoop down to get a squirrel.  The squirrel stayed motionless and I could not understand why it wasn't running for its life.  It was not until the hawk snatched the squirrel that I saw it was protecting its young. Very sad

Oh...that's so sad. I know it's nature..but still really sad.