MBTA late-night service

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

MBTA late-night services

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/2013/03/21/survey-mbta-late-night-service-draws-thousands-responses/RvVdOMkf7xm6vy68rCxxrM/story.html

A recent survey by the MBTA Rider Oversight Committee on late-night T services attracted nearly 26,000 participants. 

The survey found more than 85  percent of respondents would be willing to wait 10 to 19 minutes for a late-night bus or train while more than half said they would be willing to pay at least double the normal fare for night-owl subway service. 

What do you think? How long would you be willling to wait for a late-night bus, train, or subway? And how much would you be willing to pay for the service?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from beck139. Show beck139's posts

Re: MBTA late-night service

The T absolutely should run late-night service. The fact that it stops so early is one of the main reasons why Boston has stayed a second-class city. I would pay more if it meant supporting longer service hours (although I'd also like to know more about how the MBTA spends its money -- I'm sure there is waste that adds to its financial woes).

The taxis are terrible in Boston too. Some drivers are friendly, but many are absolutely awful and you can't be too discriminating when you have to pick between walking home late at night and grabbing whatever disgruntled cabbie is around. Running the T later might be a reason for some of the cabbies to step up their game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seaside1. Show seaside1's posts

The T has more than enough money and so does the state. This is a scare tactic by Patrick so he can get his tax increase through. Why the tax payers don't see this is beyond me. It is the same method Obama is doing in Washington. In this economy when people are trying to make ends meet there is no need for any increase in taxes. [ and this includes fuel ] We should all take notice of all the elected officials who vote for any kind of new or increase tax and vote them out. It is time we vote smart and let them know we have had enough.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vito971. Show Vito971's posts

What's open after the T shuts down in Boston, besides bars and a few restaurants? There's no other place to go, nothing else to do.

Instead of asking the T to spend more money just to take care of the bar crowd, why not try to entice some private transportation company to provide midnight to 6:00am bus service along some of the most-used routes?

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from b02215. Show b02215's posts

In response to seaside1's comment:

The T has more than enough money and so does the state

Really?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrsl1944. Show mrsl1944's posts

In response to BostonMA02116's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not unless it pays for itself!!  

I'm with you.  It will only benefit a small population of people.  I believe the majority of people that take the T Monday-Friday are people that live in the suburbs.  I do not want to subsidize this for a small majority of people.  You want it, you pay for it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from workingman1. Show workingman1's posts

Wow the Glob is ACTUALLY allowing comments.... WE CANNOT AFFORD THE MBTA ALBATROSS.... start with Mrs Affirmative Action Beverly Scott and her 200K + benefits + sick MONTHS + health care + retirement and work your way down to CUT the BLOATED MBTA .... Devoid WE CANNOT AFFORD yout 2 BILLION $$$$$$$ TAX INCREASE

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rose1214. Show rose1214's posts

I would love the train home after the bars on friday and saturday. I think they should run extended trains until at least 2 when the bars close. I live in West Roxbury and to get home from downtown in a cab costs at least $40, plus a tip, that is outrageous, and I would defininately be willing to shell out more than the $2.50 it costs to take the train into downtown to get home, as long as I wasnt paying the same as cabfare!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonsos. Show jasonsos's posts

Having worked as a contractor on the T, I can tell people that there is a very small window from about 1am to 5am that work can be accomplished on the tracks when service is not running.  Sometimes less, depending on when the 3rd rail gets shut down.

If they keep the trains running all night, there will be NO downtime in which to do maintenance or other work in these stations that requires access to the tracks.  Maybe busses would be an option, but unlike NYC that has secondary tracks they can run on while the primary tracks are being worked on, Boston does not have this luxury.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chris4. Show Chris4's posts

The T should not undertake something new until they fix what's wrong first and pay off their debts.  It wasn't profitable to run late-night trains before.   Why would it suddenly be a good thing?  Seems the T and Commuter Rail keep starting new projects before paying for what they have.  Why did they start a service to T.F. Green Airport and now want to run trains to Fall River when they can't keep up with what they already have?  Common sense might work for a change.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from beer812. Show beer812's posts

Should the T bring back late night service?...Absolutely...Is it likely to be brought back?...I would bet good money that it won't. Being a frequent user of the former "Night Owl" buses, I can attest to the convinience of being able to stay out light, while not constantly watching he clock, or having to scramble for a cab. not to mention the bad weather advantages, as well as  potentially keeping drunk driver off the road. All of that being said, and as other have stated, a way would have to be devised to make the service pay for itself. With fuel costs as they are, on top of having to pay drivers permium time for working that late night shift,  I don't see how this would be feAsible in the current fiscal climate. Very nice though, but on that runs smack into reality.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sckeller1. Show sckeller1's posts

Even Philly has late night bus service. Enough said. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sckeller1. Show sckeller1's posts

In response to beer812's comment:

Should the T bring back late night service?...Absolutely...Is it likely to be brought back?...I would bet good money that it won't. Being a frequent user of the former "Night Owl" buses, I can attest to the convinience of being able to stay out light, while not constantly watching he clock, or having to scramble for a cab. not to mention the bad weather advantages, as well as  potentially keeping drunk driver off the road. All of that being said, and as other have stated, a way would have to be devised to make the service pay for itself. With fuel costs as they are, on top of having to pay drivers permium time for working that late night shift,  I don't see how this would be feAsible in the current fiscal climate. Very nice though, but on that runs smack into reality.

You make a good point. I talked to a driver once that told me she made $800 a night to do the night owl service. While that number seems excessive, I wasn't surprised at all. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from willdcasey. Show willdcasey's posts

MBTA needs to CUT service to reasonablehrs 6AM to 11PM

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from humarocknancy. Show humarocknancy's posts

Is there anyone else out there who is sick and tired of hearing the MBTA cry poor mouth?  There is no reason why the MBTA could not provide a few late night runs and still have time left over for maintenance.  However, with the new fare hike it is now proposing, the MBTA said it is going to cut maintenance costs.  Does it ever perform maintenance on its trains and buses?  From the amount of trains and buses running late and breaking down, I do not think so.  The MBTA has plenty of money.  It just needs to allocate its funds to the running of the trains and buses instead of to absurd bonuses for the top-heavy management.  Back in 2009, the MBTA wanted to raise faires, cut service and get rid of boat service because it was so deep in debt.  However, miracle of miracles, it found $372,487 to pay the fired/resigned General Manager Dan Grabuskas.  Then in 2012, it started a new campaign to increase fares and decrease services.  It is time to decrease the top-heavy management of the MBTA.  That should wipe out its debt and have money left over to pay the working employees out there providing us with the services and to maintain the buses and trains and boats.  Why doesn't our State government do something to get this Authority under control?  We all have to live on budgets.  So should the MBTA.    

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vito971. Show Vito971's posts

I can just picture it - 3:30 in the morning, hot and humid down on the platform, forty or fifty drunks waiting half an hour for the subway - what could go wrong??

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnadams09. Show johnadams09's posts

I WANT TO SEE EARLIER MORNING SERVICE, SO i CAN BE AT WORK BY 6am.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WE5NUTS. Show WE5NUTS's posts

For the drunks? No thanks.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NM90. Show NM90's posts

The T should be updated before any talk of extended hours hits the Mayor's desk.

This is long overdue and extended hours will only choke those trains further.

It is time to modernize our T.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobBelcher. Show BobBelcher's posts

can't wait for buses to be screaming by my house at 3AM. 

Honestly, what good things happen when you've been out on the town past midnight?  Since the answer to that question is nothing, the next question is, are there enough people out there working the 3rd shift to cover the costs of keeping the service open later?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chris4. Show Chris4's posts

I would not use it.  It's probably a great idea for those who like to enjoy what Boston has to  offer at night.  However, in the past it has not proven to be profitable, and I would not want costs to increase for the commuter rail to cover any underage.  First, however, I also think that the commuter rail schedules should be made more commuter friendly in order to get workers to Boston for 8:00 or 8:30 jobs.  Right now the Kingston/Plymouth trains either get into Boston around 7:17 or 8:10 (only if exactly on time, rarely), which is too early for an 8:00 start and too late to get to Back Bay for an 8:30 start.  Not convenient.  Can we fix that either instead or as well as worrying about the late night Ts?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 0grasshopper0. Show 0grasshopper0's posts

In response to seaside1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The T has more than enough money and so does the state. This is a scare tactic by Patrick so he can get his tax increase through. Why the tax payers don't see this is beyond me. It is the same method Obama is doing in Washington. In this economy when people are trying to make ends meet there is no need for any increase in taxes. [ and this includes fuel ] We should all take notice of all the elected officials who vote for any kind of new or increase tax and vote them out. It is time we vote smart and let them know we have had enough.

[/QUOTE]

This is one of the least informed posts I've seen in a while.  Scare tactics? What scare tactics?  We're talking about offering a service to the city, which is what government is meant to do.  You could simply charge double for late night service and therefore the people who need the service are paying for it.  Patrick??? Obama??? We're talking about the City of Boston transportation system.  People like you are frightening, and it's the dumb down of political thought that's holding this country back from becoming great again.  Go get a second opinion.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonmanSouthend. Show BostonmanSouthend's posts

Only if it pays for itself. I don't like the fact that Students get a discounted rate yet they can spend $10 per drink in the bars. If it does run late then they should pay double. If it is an extra cost to the rest of us - then NO, I would not be in favor.