Mother sues party mates of dead teen

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SchwillyPete. Show SchwillyPete's posts

Mother sues party mates of dead teen

This woman is doing the world no good by proceeding with this case.

What an unbelievably selfish person.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shippswake. Show Shippswake's posts

Re: Mother sues party mates of dead teen

I'll have to agree.  Her daughter was happy to do the drinking.  She didn't leave the party and go home did she?

I hope someone makes her aware of how savage it will be to be a party in a lawsuit, no matter what side you are on.

It will be painfull.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ltown1. Show Ltown1's posts

I have to agree with you.  Going after her daughters friends and their families isn't going to bring back her daughter.  It's not going to teach anyone a lesson.

How does it help her to hurt her daughters friends?   You'd think she would want to keep those other kids close to her so she could keep that piece of her daughter in her life.

WHat is she going to gain?    

She sounds like a vindictive, selfish person.

Who is going to sue her for letting her daughter out of the house that night?  Who is going o sue her for giving her money to buy alcohol? 

Why can't an accident just be an accident?  Our culture is obsessed with blaming people. 

If she wants to change things for the  better she should be lobbying to change the drinking laws to 18 so that these kids won't be out drinking in a swamp but instead will be in a bar with bouncers and bartenders to supervise them and shut them off when they've had too much.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

"Who is going to sue her for letting her daughter out of the house that night?  Who is going o sue her for giving her money to buy alcohol?"...LTown

That's probably the point: If she can get the courts to agree to blame the friends, she can deflect responsibility from herself and her daughter and assuage her own guilt.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ltown1. Show Ltown1's posts

It's sad and it's tragic.  I do feel for her and any parent who has to bury a child, but lawsuits do nothing for anyone. 

Those kids lost a friend.  I'm sure they have guilt as well.  

Where is the compassion for them?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RoseRed115. Show RoseRed115's posts

Oh, so it's OK that the mother of one of those kids broke the law by supplying minors (the children of OTHER parents) with alcohol and permitted them to drink in her house? This woman shouldn't be held accountable for her illegal actions whch contributed to this tragedy?

In the eyes of the law these kids are children, like it or not. And an adult willingly and knowingly provided them with alcohol which impairs judgment and can and did lead to death.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ltown1. Show Ltown1's posts

Will you overprotective ninny parents ever get over your anxiety?   

Kids are kids.   They've always behaved the same way.  You or this lady or her silly lawsuits aren't going to change adolescent behavior.    The more you try to stop it the more they will want to do it.   

Ruining the lives of another family helps nobody.  Nobody will learn a lesson. 

It's mean spirited and vindictive.   It's immature and irresponsible. 

Her daughter died in a tragic accident.   It's horrible, it's sad but her actions are misguided.  They won't help her or her daughter.   

Why do people always need someone to blame?  Why are we obsessed with blame?

If she wants to sue the homeowner who let the kids drink fine, she may have a case, but her daughter didn't die there.  As a matter of fact, if her daughter stayed there and remained under that woman's supervision she may still be alive. 

This woman is suing her daughters friends because they got the alcohol.   For all she knows her daughter and her friends all conspired together to get the beer.  

This poor woman is traumatized and not behaving rationally.   The destruction of one young life is enough, she won't be happy until she's ruined 5 more.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kamoto. Show kamoto's posts

I graduated Belmont High in 1982.  From 9th grade to 12 grade, I did enough partying to last a lifetime.  One of our classmates, his father was the Registrar of Motor Vehicles.  This guy threw one of the best senior parties in his house I've ever attended.  We walked miles a night, through the woods of McLean Hospital, through the Aubodon.  No one ever died, and we got chased by the cops numerous times.  It was such a fun experience, I will always remember it.  You can try and make kids think about their choices, but you can't take the fun away from people at that age.  As others suggested, it was a tragic accident.  Move on, realize the mistakes you made within your own childrearing, and turn a negative into a positive.  In India, teenagers can drink frequently.  There is no legal drinking limit.  Unattainable things will always make people seek them out.  Her friends let her down, but they didn't make her drink.  Personal responsibility will go a long way in society. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

"Am I to understand an adult supplied the booze and a place to consume it?

Is that person charged with anything?  She damn well should be"...Greg

I wasn't aware of that either when I made my original response. The "hostess" should be charged criminally.  Suing the kids for $ won't send a message, but criminal action against the hostess will.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ltown1. Show Ltown1's posts

The kids started at a house party where the owner of the house was home and aware of the kids drinking.

The kids then left the house but didn't go home, they went to an abandoned air strip and continued to party.   The owner of the house didn't supply this alcohol.

That is where the tragedy happened.

If she wants to sue the homeowner fine, legally she has a case although I still feel it's mean spirited.  

Leave the other kids alone.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

Suing the other teens would be a mistake, however, any adult involved in supplying alcohol should be punished.  That is fair and has precendent in the courts.  It is one thing to be aware of the fact that teens may occaisionally obtain alcohol, it is something else entirely for an adult to provide alcohol to teens.  Many adults have a hard time not overindulging in the creature, so it is unrealistic to expect that teens who have even less exposure to alcohol will control themselves. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

I live near where this all happened.  The mother stated that she knows her daughter did the drinking, no one forced her to.  That none of her friends was sober enough to see she shouldn't be trying to go home alone is the real tragedy here. She's trying to make a point that buying for underage kids (Taylor was 17) is wrong. The lawsuit is not the best way, I don't think, it won't stop anyone else except maybe the 2 she's suing. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Martha1. Show Martha1's posts

The only person who really ought to be sued is the adult who allowed the party to take place in her home.  The kids should not be sued.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

and how did these kids get to that air strip from the house they were drinking at "supervised'?
    That adult not only let them drink in her house and supplied booze, she obviously let some of them drive. I doubt they all walked to that air strip.

And, I'm sorry, but I did my fair share of partying in high school. I would NEVER let a drunk friend walk home alone in the dark! Not now, not then, not ever!
    That's the lesson these kids need to learn. Letting your friend, who is incredibly drunk, walk home ALONE in the DARK is wreckless endangerment. It's almost as bad as letting your drunk friend drive home.