The Race for Boston Mayor

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCEditor. Show BDCEditor's posts

The Race for Boston Mayor

Discuss the latest mayoral election news... Which candidate will serve the City of Boston best? Who will best lead Boston into the future? Share your views on the 2013 Race for Mayor.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lacus. Show lacus's posts

Re: The Race for Boston Mayor

All I want to ask is: After the election will you be repeatedly running "Which candidate do you think you were?"

This is what, the fourth time? If you have nothing new to fill space (Bill Brett and "Spotted around town" don't count. As new. Or old. Or anything) then leave the space blank. Most of the content is blank-type content, anyway.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cameleopardilis. Show cameleopardilis's posts

I;m looking for a Mayor that not only serves the middle class, but has exciting ideas to help the middle class flourish. That means an atmosphere where business can thrive, but also looking at living wage, strong unions, a real committment to education, and a skillful balance of a dynamic downtown and strengthening of neighborhoods. The tech and healthcare industry are vital for Boston, I'm looking for creative public-private partnerships that use these industries to make life better for all of us.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rogdog. Show Rogdog's posts

Don't care who you vote for just not John Connolly. This person is a scummy & coward 

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2007/11/06/unsigned_fliers_muddy_todays_race_for_council/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bball2233. Show bball2233's posts

It seems like John Connolly is the only candidate who has a well developed and intelligent plan for every issue out there. ..he's been committed to this race from day #1.   His love and passion for Boston is obvious.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paulapggr. Show Paulapggr's posts

In response to BDCEditor's comment:

Discuss the latest mayoral election news... Which candidate will serve the City of Boston best? Who will best lead Boston into the future? Share your views on the 2013 Race for Mayor.

We have a great slate of candidates--having seen most and heard all the candidates, I think John Connolly is the person for the job.  We need a fresh start.  He has experience, drive, and is very knowledgable about a wide variety of issues.  

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from demeter11. Show demeter11's posts

In response to Rogdog's comment:

Don't care who you vote for just not John Connolly. This person is a scummy & coward 

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2007/11/06/unsigned_fliers_muddy_todays_race_for_council/

Connolly never was a teacher (volunteer) and insults those who are.  Pulled the wool over media and voters. But, he's a heck of a marketer.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AMR56. Show AMR56's posts

Charlotte Golar Richie is the only candidate who has the experience and qualifications to be the next mayor. Connolly, Conley, and Walsh will all turn over public education to corporations- aka, charter schools. I want a mayor who believes that every child in the city deserves a quality education and who won't give up on the BPS. She has had executive experience running a large city department that created housing, and is the only candidate who has worked as a manager in a union environment. Living in a "hot spot" in Dorchester, Charlotte knows first-hand how segments of Boston suffer disproportionately from the scourge of violence, and she will make safety in all neighborhoods an urgent priority.  Finally, is there any other candidate who has proposed a year-round jobs program for Boston youth?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimC-of-Boston. Show JimC-of-Boston's posts

Some really weak candidates have, unfortuntately, diluted the field.  It would have been more interesting if there was a way to whittle it down to 3 or 4 candidates and then hear their plans for Boston's future.  

Of the few good candidates, I have to go with John Connolly as he seems to have a thoughtful plan on a variety of issues and isn't pandering to any specific consitituencies in order to get elected.  Too many of the other candidates have plans to spend money in a variety of ways that will appeal to specific groups but without a view toward how to fund that spending.  Making promises to specific groups in exchange for their support is classic "ward politics" that ignores the greater good in exchange for gaining power.  John Connolly seems to have a balanced view on issues while expressing ideas that move Boston forward.  I was NOT a fan of his dad, but I think John is what Boston needs right now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moulder3. Show moulder3's posts

I think Barros is by far the most genuine of the bunch.  Go figure that he's been getting killed in fundraising...  Hoping he somehow makes #2 in the primary so he can wipe the floor with Connolly in November.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from crharris0127. Show crharris0127's posts

John Barros for Mayor is the only candidate in this race that has the combination of personal background, professional achievements, skills, vision and values to lead Boston to fulfill its potential and become a world-class city for all of residents in which to live, work, play, grow up, grow old, raise a family, start and run a business, and happily pursue almost any other dream one could have in this city. I think these are some of the reasons that the Boston Globe endorses him as one of two candidates that should be our final options to elect for Mayor in November.

For me, John Barros fairly quickly became the candidate that clearly stood out in the crowded field for several reasons. Primarily, I was looking for a candidate that (1) is not a career politician, and (2) has had experience successfully leading and running a major organization in Boston, whether not-for-profit or for-profit, with demonstrable impact. Having run the Dudley Street Neighborhood Initiative capably for 13 years and moved the Dudley Street corridor to a better place, John clearly met those criteria. 

Here are a few others that are key for me:

- understands the challenges our schools face in improving outcomes for our most disadvantaged students, such narrowing achievement and opportunity gaps, and has deep experience working on the issue? Check.
    John Barros has served on the Boston School Committee at the behest of Mayor Menino, and was chosen by Governor Patrick to lead a nascent partnership between Madison Park Technical-Vocational High School and Roxbury Community College. Just as importantly, John was instrumental in founding the Dudley Street Neighborhood Charter School. John is one of only two candidates (and the other one is not also named John!Winkthat has this depth of hands-on leadership experience with education policy in Boston (and I personally know and very much respect that other candidate).

- very personally understands the challenges that middle class Boston families with children face in this city, having to deal with increasing housing costs, a persistent youth violence problem, underperforming schools etc.? Check.
    John and his lovely wife Tchintcia are raising two precious young boys, John and Jeremiah, near the neighborhood John himself grew up in, off of Dudley Street in Uphams Corner. 

- understands the challenges that small businesses, especially those on our main streets, face in Boston? Check. 
    John started Restaurante Cesaria on Bowdoin Street in Dorchester with his brother and two cousins. If you haven't visited yet, check it out some time. Cesaria serves fantastic Cape Verdean cuisine with a cosy ambiance and has become an anchor establishment in an area of town that has more than its fair share of challenges with crime and poverty.

Add to these characteristics so many other appealing aspects of John's biography and, to me, the choice of electing John Barros to be our next Mayor is a slam dunk. Another one of those is that John returned to Boston to work for his community through DSNI after graduating from Dartmouth College and working for the Chubb Insurance group in NYC -- when he must have had several opportunities to stay in the for-profit sector and earn a higher salary.

I could go on, but I will bring this to a close and just share a couple of things for added inspiration to vote for John F Barros on Tuesday, Sept. 24. 

If you are unsure whether your vote for John Barros will make a difference, if you are one of those people who feels "I like John, but I don’t see how he's going to win", please know that Team Barros volunteers (led by Matthew Patton, a former staffer from the Deval Patrick and Elizabeth Warren campaigns) has been working vigorously on the ground for months to reach 90,000 Boston voters with John's personal story and his vision for our city. Also, please consider John's own wise words: 

"Believe in your vote...Believe in true democracy. Change the conversation from who can win to who do I want to win. That's true empowerment."

Also, if you want to hear about why others are supporting John, please check out the #ItsTime videos of fellow Bostonians on his campaign website at http://www.barrosforboston.com/_itstime