Why do you live in the Boston area?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from polpolk9. Show polpolk9's posts

Re: Why do you live in the Boston area?

are u kidding---iys full of Rats --race hate-high re taxes --crime--drugs hispannics who arent USA citizens... its a hell hole.. u cant walk the Boston Common in the daytime --its unsafe--downtown Boston is gonzo!  Boston has nothing to offer me!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rbyteme. Show rbyteme's posts

Perhaps I shouldn't post here. I lived in Boston for over twenty years, including Allston (3 yrs), Brighton (1 yr), Jamaica Plain (1.5 yr) and Back Bay (16 yrs). I enjoyed living there because it was possible to do so without having a car, and there were so many wonderful places to visit and businesses to patronize.

While there are always interesting places to visit, all of the stores and many of the restaurants I loved are gone, made unsustainable by an economy that demands high returns. For some of us, as we grow older, the noise and juvenile behavior of college students becomes more noticeable and ceases to be amusing. The all-too prevalent attitudes of judgmentalism and blame (as opposed to compassion and charity found elsewhere in the country) increasingly irked me as the years passed. Skyrocketing rents finally drive the last nail in the coffin of my disgust. Boston definitely didn't want me any more, unless I was willing to live in an overpriced roach and rat-filled dump and pay through the teeth for everything from lettuce to toothpaste.

Boston became a city for the rich or the poor who are "fortunate" enough to qualify for assistance and cannot afford to move. If you aren't a "professional" or executive commanding a high salary, you had better live in a household with more than one income. I'm too old and, unfortunately, physically unwell, to struggle like that any more.

The things about Boston I do miss are good shellfish (especially clams), hills (Illinois has rises, not hills, heh), a good Northeaster once in a while (blizzards out here are all wind and little snow), and being able to openly admit I'm an atheist.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Why do I want to live in Boston?

1.  It's SNOW, people!  It's not tornados, wildfires, mudslides, tsunamis, or hurricanes. 

2.  None of the other above-mentioned disasters looks pretty afterward.

For the average citizen, all you need to get through a Boston winter is a snowblower, a set of snow tires, and a sense of humor.  

Bostonians are wicked smaht and I like how we think.  Fewer rednecks, fundamentalists, or Fox News fans than anywhere else.  Snowflakes are a small price to pay. 

It's all in your attitude.  8 weeks 'til Daylight Savings Time!  woo-woo! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from waghost11. Show waghost11's posts

I can't imagine living anywhere else. Yes, the snow gets tedious, but I love how there are distinct seasons.  I also love snowstorms, or at least watching them. Waking up to a snow-covered landscape is amazing, until I have to shovel. The weather is tolerable, when the winter gets bad, I just keep in mind the beautiful spring that is to come.

Also, the top notch education system is a major plus. I'm a senior in high school and have been fortunate enough to grow up in a terrific school system. The amount of distinguished universities in the Boston area is unlike anywhere in the entire country. 

Also, I have been raised with the Sox, Bruins, Celtics, and Pats, I honestly cannot imagine living anywhere where these teams don't exist. I love them despite how they constantly find a way to break our hearts. It's an amazing town to be a sports fan. 

I love that Dirty Water, and Boston, you're my home.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gcam970. Show gcam970's posts

I was born and raised in Central Massachusetts and then spent 11 years living in Cambridge. The urban environment in Boston is great,very compact, walkable, etc. But after 40 years tolerating 3 months of winter and rain for another 3 months in the cold, unpredictable spring weather, I finally moved to Florida. In Orlando now and it is great. Takes some adjustment - things are much more spread out - but there is a lot of beauty in the natural and built environments. It has only rained twice since September, but we've recently had two days of torrential rain and things are greening and blooming once again. Typically in winter it is in the mid-seventies during day and fifties at night. Once in a while we have a two day cold snap, but it quickly passes. And, there is plenty to do, more than most places in the country. If we something a bit more urban, we can head down to Miami pretty quickly. Anyway, the northeast has a great urban environment, but to me, the 6 - 7 months of unpleasant weather makes visits okay but living undesirable. Oh yea, Florida is middle of the road socially - it's not all fire and brimstone as you can be lead to believe when you're from Boston - us liberal Democrats fit in just fine.... So enjoy the winter - but don't forget to take a break and come down to sunny Florida for some fun, sun and relaxation.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Floundah. Show Floundah's posts

I'm a Yankee, and my family goes back here quite a few generations. Boston is a beautiful, livable city, and New England — where it hasn't been ruined by strip malls, McMansions, and the rest of suburbia — is gorgeous. I love most of the weather here.

Sadly, my career is at a complete dead end in the Boston area. Because of that, I would be better off moving to NYC, where I seem to be having better luck. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from spf781. Show spf781's posts

Lived here my entire life. Family and friends are here as well. As for the weather, you deal with it. Sure, you can complain about all the livelong day (as I do). But eventually, it changes. Life goes on. The only two things I truly hate about the winter are the wind and the slush.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrillianceInLowell. Show BrillianceInLowell's posts

At first I came back here for work as a recent college graduate, now ownership of an underwater condo is an additional reason, otherwise I would rather be in Northern New Hampshire or Maine.  Due to deaths and relocations most of my relatives now reside in Maine, Florida or the Carolinas.  When I was growing up all my family was in Mass.  If NH and Maine were taken out of the picture this New Englander would move down south or out west.  Since I attended college in another state, I work all the time and as I already noted, my family is pretty much gone, I have no emotional attachments to the Boston area.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrillianceInLowell. Show BrillianceInLowell's posts

In Response to Re: Why do you live in the Boston area?:
    [QUOTE]I hate,hate, hate living here with a passion!! I was born and raised here,and I have repeatedly begged my husband to move for going on 15 freakin' years now. For whatever reason, apparently moving to a different state is akin to moving to Zimbabwe to him. Have def.reached the breaking point. I don't even really like it here in the summer. Note I said Summer,because we don't get a spring. We get slop season. Hate it!!!
    Posted by disco2000[/QUOTE]

Heh! I label the four New England seasons as follows:

Winter (Dec - Mar)
    Mud & Flood (Apr - Jul)
    Humidity (Aug)
    Preparation for Winter (Sep-Nov)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SweetScarlette. Show SweetScarlette's posts

The ocean: sailing, swimming.
    Family, friends. 
    Great schools, great hospitals, center for biotech.
    Smart people.
    Unique history: birthplace of America.
    Gorgeous summers, beautiful autumns.
    Proximity to Cambridge, the Cape, Rockport, the Berkshires.
    Easy to travel to Europe.
    Friends love to visit Boston.
    Good shopping, dining, art galleries.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SweetScarlette. Show SweetScarlette's posts

[QUOTE]Boston and MA is a disaster of a place to live. Horrible weather, rude and arrogant people, over inflated costs, crumbling infrastructure and liberal moonbats all around. I am moving to Texas soon and can't wait to live this area. Boston and MA is a liberal lost causes moonbat of a state which has a bleak future.
    Posted by maneesh[/QUOTE]

Bye - Don't let the door hit you on your way to Bush country.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rwc2. Show rwc2's posts

[QUOTE] I am 72 years old and have lived here all my life. the reason ? BRAINDEAD ! like all the rest of us that endure brutal winters, the MWRA, Pacheco rules, Billy Bulger, pension scandals,moron electorate for voting in Menino,Tierney,Barney,and the rest of these reprobates;right now enjoying Naples for the month of January so it's not too bad but i have to go home to ths crap next weekend.next year 2 months here !
    Posted by billcrooz[/QUOTE]

If it's that bad, why don't you move?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rwc2. Show rwc2's posts

[QUOTE]Boston and MA is a disaster of a place to live. Horrible weather, rude and arrogant people, over inflated costs, crumbling infrastructure and liberal moonbats all around. I am moving to Texas soon and can't wait to live this area. Boston and MA is a liberal lost causes moonbat of a state which has a bleak future.

don't let the door hit you on the way out.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rwc2. Show rwc2's posts

don't let the door hit you on the way out!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowerB511. Show lowerB511's posts

[QUOTE]The ocean: sailing, swimming. Family, friends.  Great schools, great hospitals, center for biotech. Smart people. Unique history: birthplace of America. Gorgeous summers, beautiful autumns. Proximity to Cambridge, the Cape, Rockport, the Berkshires. Easy to travel to Europe. Friends love to visit Boston. Good shopping, dining, art galleries.
    Posted by SweetScarlette[/QUOTE]

Some of the worst beaches in the country.  I don't think I saw the sun once June 2009.  Ahh yes, all those trips to Cambridge and Europe.
    I can think of 20 better cities to live in.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dollkuhn. Show dollkuhn's posts

Massachusetts ranks 49 out of 50 states for gun ownership and death by gun.  So I guess our citizens have a better change at just plain living.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from IButterfly. Show IButterfly's posts

[QUOTE]I was born in NE, but have lived in two southern states.  I was raised with a decent vocabulary, and I couldn't use it there without getting blank stares.  Maybe this makes me a snob, but I thought it made conversation a drag.  Granted, that's not PC to say, but it was my daily experience . I'm also here (forever) because I married a man who can't sleep on storm nights for being sooooooooooo pumped.  He asks me to NOT shovel even though I'm home all day so he can have the stress-relieving pleasure of doing it himself when he gets home from work.  He built our home near the Quabbin so he can hike, ski, snowmobile...you get the idea.  We're stayin' put. The wood stove is cranked, and I have a nice, hot cup of tea here.   Couldn't be more toasty this frigid morning. ETA:  NHY, don' believe all the hooey about Southerners being open and friendly, either.  It's a huge facade.  Deep, honest friendships that naturally take time to develop are a Northern thing.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from IButterfly. Show IButterfly's posts

Just had to reply to your post--so spot on! Am a Bostonian who has also experimented with Southern living. 

I guess I should be PC and kindly to those who are different. But frankly, NC is still so much being "down on the Plantation." There is no open and friendly, as you pointed out.

My family back in Boston asks "Are you sure you are up to all this snow again?" And I just reply, "Any day of the week."

If you know anyone who would like a lovely home for cheap here in Durham, NC with forest behind and around it, let me know. Been trying to escape now for over a year.

Do you hear me being a little jealous of you and everyone back home in NE? Oh yeah....I'd trade the total lack of snow here for the 47 inches back in Boston any time.

Enjoy!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCarlson. Show BCarlson's posts

Many, many reasons.  Such as:

1.  It's actually warmer here than where I grew up.
    2.  The education and culture levels are matched by only a few other U.S. cities.
    3.  The architecture and history are amazing.
    4.  The further south you go, the less intelligent people get.  Sorry, but it's true.
    5.  Four great pro sports teams and a boundless passion for them.
    6.  Ocean, three different mountain ranges and NYC all nearby.
    7.  Perfect balance between major, cosmopolitan city and initimate community.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from vabosoxer. Show vabosoxer's posts

I left Boston about 25 years ago. I love the summers up there. But the winters are terrible.. 6 months of depression. Who needs it? That's half of your life.

Once you get over the "evolution does not exist thing", you may find that playing golf year round is a pretty good thing vs the lousy weather that you endure virtually each and every year.

I would not go back.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kamoto. Show kamoto's posts

Grew up in Belmont MA.  Left Boston in 1996 for Scottsdale AZ.  Found Scottsdale beautiful, but the people pretty midwestern and not very intelligent.  So I relocated to Silicon Valley and live right outside of San Francisco.  San Francisco area is pretty much Boston with exceptional weather.  The plan was to move back to MA when the kids entered middle school, but that hasn't happened.  Maybe when my daughter gets into Boston College I'll move back, but for now, staying right here in San Francisco.  We have everything Boston has, and can drive 2.5 hours to Tahoe for skiing in 30 degree weather with snow that accumulates at 16 FT at a time. 

Peace to Boston.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sensitive. Show Sensitive's posts

I live here because my wife's family is here.
    Otherwise, we would be moving back to San Francisco.
    I would miss the four seasons, but the winters make it not worth staying.
    Plus, San Francisco is slower paced and friendlier.  And 60-70 degree weather year-round.  PLUS drivers actually stop for pedestrians crossing the streets instead of ignoring them as they do here.
    Yes, California is in a financial mess, but I would take that risk.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jacobus57. Show jacobus57's posts

I would give almost anything to be back home, but it is too bloody expensive for me right now. I am stuck in SoCal, with its specious culture and relentless blooming.

Boston is diverse; flawed; beautiful; has wonderful seasons; is drivable, walkable and has great public transportation; cultured, gritty, and is the place of my heart. 

If anyone would like to trade places with me, let me know...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

Family, I think.  Otherwise I couldn't tell you right now.  I am sick to death of the storms.  One car accident and 2 snow days later, I've had it.  I surrender.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jusdefax. Show jusdefax's posts

In Response to Why do you live in the Boston area?:
    [QUOTE]The Boston area has received more than 40 inches of snow this winter -- and it isn't even February yet. As if that wasn't enough, temperatures are expected to plummet this weekend, and could even drop below zero. Weather like this might make even the hardiest New Englander question his or her choice to live in the Northeast. So, why do you live in the Boston area? What about this region makes it worth enduring endless shoveling and bone-chilling temperatures for three months a year?
    Posted by BostonDotCom[/QUOTE]

Stupid Question. Because there is NOWHERE better!