Will anyone agree to pay for access to this news site?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nesportsfan6013. Show nesportsfan6013's posts

Will anyone agree to pay for access to this news site?

I'm surprised to not see something about this already, but I guess I will ask the question. Will anyone be willing to pay for access to this news site or any other news site? I'm sorry, but I believe that it's a little late to be asking people to pay for access to this news site or any other for that matter! I can't believe that this news site or any other would have the nerve to ask people to pay for access now, after many years of using these sites for free?!  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Re: Will anyone agree to pay for access to this news site?

I wouldn't pay anything for the dreck I get in here. There will always be plenty of places where dreck is free. But the strategy of giving something away for free to rope customers who will then happily pay for what they think they need is time-tested.

Ask any drug dealer.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from movingtangent. Show movingtangent's posts

I'd pay about half what I pay for WSJ.  However, the quality of the wrting must improve to at least junior high level, and they have to change their software.

This could be a good thing if all the extremists from outside NE stop posting their paid propaganda here.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from movingtangent. Show movingtangent's posts

Could the Michigan Militia afford it if there was a cover charge?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wtc911. Show wtc911's posts

I WILL JUST GET MY "NEWS" FROM THE FREE DEMOCRATIC PARTY NEWSLETTERS, WHITE HOUSE ORGANIZED TOWN HALLS, AND DIRECTLY FROM HOLLYWOOD CELEBRITIES.

IN ALL SERIOUSNESS, THE WRITING QUALITY ISN'T THAT GREAT, THE STORIES REDUNDANT AND AVAILABLE AT OTHER SITES, THE FORUMS FULL OF LEFT AND RIGHT LUNATICS, THE ENTERTAINMENT AND BUSINESS INFORMATION NEARLY USELESS, AND THE SPORTS INFORMATION IS AVAIALBLE AT WEEI, ESPN, NESN, AND OTHER INTERNET SITES. PEOPLE WILL RETURN TO WATCHING THE LOCAL NEWS ON TV, AND THE NEW OWNERS OF BOSTON.COM WILL END UP LOSING IN THE END.

THE HERALD TRIED TO GET PEOPLE TO PAY TO READ THE COLUMNISTS, AND IT FAILED MISERABLY. THE PAYMENT MODEL WILL SUCCEED IN ONE RESPECT - EVERYONE WILL START BLOGGING AND WHOEVER TIES ALL OF THE LOCAL BLOGS ONTO AN ADVERTISING SUPPORTED WEBSITE WILL GET RICH!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

In Response to Re: Will anyone agree to pay for access to this news site?:
    [QUOTE]I WILL JUST GET MY "NEWS" FROM THE FREE DEMOCRATIC PARTY NEWSLETTERS, WHITE HOUSE ORGANIZED TOWN HALLS, AND DIRECTLY FROM HOLLYWOOD CELEBRITIES. IN ALL SERIOUSNESS, THE WRITING QUALITY ISN'T THAT GREAT, THE STORIES REDUNDANT AND AVAILABLE AT OTHER SITES, THE FORUMS FULL OF LEFT AND RIGHT LUNATICS, THE ENTERTAINMENT AND BUSINESS INFORMATION NEARLY USELESS, AND THE SPORTS INFORMATION IS AVAIALBLE AT WEEI, ESPN, NESN, AND OTHER INTERNET SITES. PEOPLE WILL RETURN TO WATCHING THE LOCAL NEWS ON TV, AND THE NEW OWNERS OF BOSTON.COM WILL END UP LOSING IN THE END. THE HERALD TRIED TO GET PEOPLE TO PAY TO READ THE COLUMNISTS, AND IT FAILED MISERABLY. THE PAYMENT MODEL WILL SUCCEED IN ONE RESPECT - EVERYONE WILL START BLOGGING AND WHOEVER TIES ALL OF THE LOCAL BLOGS ONTO AN ADVERTISING SUPPORTED WEBSITE WILL GET RICH!
    Posted by wtc911[/QUOTE]

I think your CapsLock is on.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

THE HERALD TRIED TO GET PEOPLE TO PAY TO READ THE COLUMNISTS, AND IT FAILED MISERABLY
    -------------------------

I missed that.  Got a link?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hornet. Show Hornet's posts

No

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from xttwo. Show xttwo's posts

In Response to Will anyone agree to pay for access to this news site?:
    [QUOTE]I'm surprised to not see something about this already, but I guess I will ask the question. Will anyone be willing to pay for access to this news site or any other news site? I'm sorry, but I believe that it's a little late to be asking people to pay for access to this news site or any other for that matter! I can't believe that this news site or any other would have the nerve to ask people to pay for access now, after many years of using these sites for free?!  
    Posted by nesportsfan6013[/QUOTE]

In answer to the question; no if this site changed it's status to a pay service; that would be the last of me.   I'll just go somewhere else .

P*rn used to be pay sites until people found a way to get it for free;
    same with news and information; or other general misc. content.

Free, free, free. 

People want to see, read, and interact on the internet for free. 
    Otherwise what good is the internet? 

God forbid people would have to acutally turn off computers and deal with the ugly and uninteresting people of the real world.

Yell Ugh.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

I guess the better question would be..."Why would anyone pay for Boston.com???"

They aren't the only show in town and they aren't so far above and beyond the rest such that paying for Boston.com over the free sites is justified.

Just an observation....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from natural. Show natural's posts

If this site is the same, after its made "paid only", I wouldn't. Make the forums section "audio-enabled" where you could just voice your comments instead of typing it out....then I would re-consider.

Now for the all the crazy folks who are against audiocare, please note this is only an another option to your current one. No one will take your rights from typing into this forum, or ask you to log out earlier. You will still enjoy the benefits of typing in.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JasonLis. Show JasonLis's posts

No Way. Any news paper that needs to charge for access to their website should be out of business and eventually will be. That being said SI.com and Espn.com do have a section on their sites that is only available to Subscribers. I don't know what is in the pay section and will never know cause I wont pay to access any part of the website but I would guess it has a few extras like fantasy information and other little features....Plus all the news I want to know is free on those sites. Boston.Com could try that but it would fail because the site is local and it is not big enough. It sounds like the globe would do this to try to keep it afloat unlike other sites that get their cash flow from other areas and the Subscription revenue is very small in comparison. I hope this isn't the master plan to keep the globe alive because it will be gone before you know it. The Internet is very competitive and there are millions of other sites that don't charge. Not to mention the quality of the writing in the globe isn't good at all especially in the sports, all its is , is a bunch of recycled information from other news outlets. Its not what it used to be.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from movingtangent. Show movingtangent's posts

I would have thought having 6th graders write the stories would have saved a lot of money.  I guess not enough.
    Seriously, I haven't read a story on BDC in weeks without a major typo or bad grammar in it.  Sometimes its impossible to decipher what is actually being reported.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

This is a news site???

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from asaganich. Show asaganich's posts

Not a chance. I get the sunday globe, because my mother in law reads it.  But any real news comes from some where else.  The Globe has been owned and controlled by the left for so long they don't even pretend to be unbiased anymore.

Local fluff/interest. Sure. Real news? No.

Pay for it?  Not a chance.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from movingtangent. Show movingtangent's posts

Britney Spears exiting rehab is not real news.  If you think the Globe leans left then just don't read the editorial page.  The strategy works.  I subscribe to the Journal and haven't knocked up my sister yet.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

"If I've lost MoDo, I've lost leftist America"

Op/Ed is WHY I read the Globe

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

Hey, if the Herald site stays free, i'll go there. I can disseminate reality from their dooooshbaggetry.

BDC needs to sell some ad space on their site. They can use the forum subscription data to move it. The more angry RWingers, the better. You have the foundation.

Just a little free advice.

Hire me and I'll make it happen :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

The Herald has a message board again?  I started out there years ago.  Came here when they shut it down

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cjoseph. Show cjoseph's posts

Absolutely not. I think most sensible people read the news on this site AFTER reading news from an actually credible site. Globe is choc full of liberal bias and ludicrous "stories" authored by left-wing sissies.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ohhhhh-Bammy. Show Ohhhhh-Bammy's posts

Maybe.. if they .. augment their venue with live sex streaming.

Think about it.. News, Weather, Sports and Sex.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

I would pay a low fee, provided there is no advertising.  The service is free only because of all the adds that are constantly shoved in your face - adds that now pop up and spread across articles until you close them, etc.  (At least on NYT.  I'm not sure I specifically recall one of those here).

But yes, the writing must improve.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from arstalt12. Show arstalt12's posts

Not a chance-   BUT: If the globe will start publishing unbiased news and keep its bias on the op/ed I will come back as a subsciber. Have the reporters examine the corruption ,lobbying,political mayhem,etc

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.