Our Polarized Country

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobcatsr. Show bobcatsr's posts

Our Polarized Country

Went to a simple dinner party last night with some friends and the conversation quickly turned to politics (not a good idea).  One liberal woman was so incensed about some myth that republicans want to deny woman much needed healthcare just about ruined the night by angily ranting and not allowing anyone else to speak.  You see, this IS the problem in America today.  This president, who was called "the most polarizing president in the history of the republic" by none other than the Washington Post, has so divided us that it's becoming virtually impossible to have dialogue about our country and the challenges that we face as a nation.  We seem to have too many people who want to be heard but refuse to hear and until we can put a stop to this nonsense and realize the we have one thing in common and it's that we're all Americans first and everything else second it will only get worse.  I was really quite taken aback by her anger, her lack of facts and her refusal to hear the others in the room.  Is this what we've become?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 11Roosters. Show 11Roosters's posts

Re: Our Polarized Country

Sadly, this seems to be the direction in which we are headed.
    I am wealthy, you are not - I must be evil!
    I don't want to buy your food, pay your rent, give you a free cell phone, or buy your birth control. I must be evil.
    I don't want to pay a higher tax rate than you- I must be evil!

I am not evil.

There's a giant fissure growing down the center of this country. We've become an "Us vs. Them" society. This is not good. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

bobcatsr interesting comment that you have made. I myself don't think that it's Obama that has caused the polarization of USA. I think it's the extremists in both parties that has caused the problem. Obama is a centrist which I think most people of the country are. By having only extremists represent us alot of the country feels misrepresented.

I think the main reason that we are polarized has more to do with who votes at the state and local level. If states would allow voting to be done over an entire weekend a more diverse and a larger voting bloc would turnout and candidates who hold the same views as those voters would be elected. Those candidates elected at the state and local would eventually be elected to represent their states at the federal level where they would bring those veiws with them that represents a large percentage of our country's population. By having only Tuesday voting only a smaller percentage of the population who are die hard partisans turnout and they seem to elect rigid conservatives or rigid liberals. In my humbled opinion this is why we have gridlock and partisanship that polarized our country.

BTW public funding of campaigns,term limits of politicians and judges would also be a great help in getting better leadership at all levels of government. With public funding maybe somebody like you or I, regular"ham and eggers",would have a chance to run for office. I bet we could do a better job of governing than water carriers we have now !!!!!!

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

Well, I have been stuck hearing the rants of uninformed conservatives who sneer at any alternative point of view and cannot really articulate their views in any coherent fashion.  Polarization requires two poles to be the problem that it is.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

In Response to Re: Our Polarized Country:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Our Polarized Country : And of course Reub there`s never an uniformed Lib right?
    Posted by jmel[/QUOTE]

Per usual you read things according to your political limitations.  Did you notice I talked about "poles" of polarization in the plural.  There are idiots on both sides.  I just think there are more on the right than the left.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobcatsr. Show bobcatsr's posts

It's not about whether you happen to lean "left" or "right" it's about about the fact that both sides are digging in and refusing to listen to each other and this is basically bad for our country.  Face it, we are a free society and free to agree or disagree on the issues, which we always have but lately it's not about agreeing to disagree but refusing to listen!  Incidentally Sister, it was a very liberal newspaper that labeling Obama as the most polarizing president in history so perhaps a closer look at that statement and the reasons for it are in order here.  I didn't write this post to get in a shouting match with those who are the ones who are at the root cause of the problem.  I wrote it so that all of us will hopefully take stock in what we are saying and doing and start to listen to different points of view no matter what those points happen to be.  Right now, we are in a bad place and it's only getting worse, not better.  If it doesn't change and in a hurry then I fear for our country.  No one wins if everyone loses. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

In response to "Re: Our Polarized Country": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Our Polarized Country : Per usual you read things according to your political limitations.  Did you notice I talked about "poles" of polarization in the plural.  There are idiots on both sides.  I just think there are more on the right than the left. Posted by Reubenhop[/QUOTE] Not in my experience Reubin.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

bobcastsr what is the name of the paper so I can read the article ?

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Thanks jmel ! That Post article was a good read.

I consider myself one of the forgotten Americans, a guy who hung around the street corners or maybe the "alleys" of Main Street USA that the politicians of both parties have turned their back on in favor of Wall Street !