McCain = Unstable and Dangerous?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

The people that are pulling McCain's strings are the people who want to push us into a new Cold War with the Russians -- and ironically and a bit improbably with the Chinese too. But the Russians are probably more willing to oblige us since their power remains limited to oil reserves and military power. In other words, they're people McCain's folks can understand and vice versa. McCain is going out of his way to cast this as a replay of 1938 and 1939. Is it really in our interest to get into a renewed Cold War with Russia right now? Do we have the military resources for a proxy/advisor war in the Caucasus at the moment? Should we find ourselves in the situation where the Russians want to reassert their sway in Eastern Europe, we would have some very serious and consequential decisions to make. But this just is not that. The key is that McCain, both in terms of policy and temperament, wants to court that result. It's sort of funny when he's just an unhinged senator. But think for a moment where we'd be if this man were president right now, as he may well be in six months. This man takes the counsel of the people who got us into the Iraq War. On foreign policy, he is in league with the people who were so extreme they've now largely been kicked out of the Bush administration. People like John Bolton and others like him. It's beyond Obama or political strategy or dinging McCain on this or that policy. This man is simply too dangerous and unstable to be president. People need to wake up and get a look of the preview he's giving us of a McCain presidency. --Josh Marshall

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cuchalain. Show cuchalain's posts

Josh Marshall? please, life's more than talking points
    lol Josh Marshall

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

[Quote]Josh Marshall? please, life's more than talking points
    lol Josh Marshall[/Quote]

My edited post wasn't saved (thanks, bdc), in which I stated I didn't agree entirely with Josh but that McCain's judgement re: Georgia and Russia are highly suspect..

Nice, well-thought-out rebuttal, though.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cuchalain. Show cuchalain's posts

[Quote]

My edited post wasn't saved (thanks, bdc), in which I stated I didn't agree entirely with Josh but that McCain's judgement re: Georgia and Russia are highly suspect..

Nice, well-thought-out rebuttal, though.[/Quote]

I put in the effort the original post merited. I'm sorry that the truth hurts.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pymus. Show Pymus's posts

The people pulling Obama's strings = Fruity and Weird!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

Obama may be inexperienced and his high intellect may make him seem elitist. That's scary. Worse is a person who apparently has learned nothing from his experience and is a 3rd-last-in-the-class dumbell who THINKS he has all the answers. That is mind-numbing terror.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

I'll take unstable and dangerous over, wimpy, weak and wishy washy any day.
    People won't mess with the crazy old fool, they aill walk all over the the wuss every time.
    It's human nature. Obama projects weakness and as a result we will be perceived as weak and that's not good.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

[Quote]
    I'll take unstable and dangerous over, wimpy, weak and wishy washy any day.
    People won't mess with the crazy old fool, they aill walk all over the the wuss every time.
    It's human nature. Obama projects weakness and as a result we will be perceived as weak and that's not good.
    [/Quote]

Sounds like a damned if you do damned if you don't Hobson's choice!
    I hate to agree with you but the young and inexperienced JFK seemed like Mr. Easy to the USSR in 1963. I don't think they ever would have dared test Nixon that way. JFK measured up, but we almost had a nuclear holocaust in the process. "that's not good", as you said.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

McCain wouldn't do anything stupid with regard to the Russians, but now that people are beginning to wise up to the fact that Islamic fundamentalism poses no significant threat to us, the Republicans need a new bogeyman to keep us frightened. Putin fits the bill beautifully, and a revisiting of the Cold War (which we have demonstrated we can "win", unlike an endless war on terror) is in McCain's political interests.

And it's in Putin's interest too. Russians want to be proud of their country, just like Americans do, and the image of their leader standing up to the big bad USA suits Putin just fine.

But we have much better communication and commercial ties between our countries than we did before 1991, so any real action by either side against the other will upset some very powerful interests.

So unlike the last one, Cold War II will be mostly bluster with no real danger of armed hostilities.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pymus. Show Pymus's posts

[Quote]Obama may be inexperienced and his high intellect may make him seem elitist. That's scary. Worse is a person who apparently has learned nothing from his experience and is a 3rd-last-in-the-class dumbell who THINKS he has all the answers. That is mind-numbing terror.[/Quote]

Obama's intellect high?

Rev Wright
    Bill Ayers
    Inflate your tires

Oh and did I mention if you take his teleprompter away - A bumbling idiot!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

Pymus, I guess you are smarter than Obama because you believe inflating your tires doesn't improve your gas milage.

According to DOE and DOT, the amount of gasoline we could save by inflating our tires properly vastly exceeds the amount of oil we can retrieve from OCS drilling, and we can do it immediately instead of having to wait 10 years. But you're much smarter than DOE and DOT, I'm sure.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

IN..on gas and consumption. In the past 30 years any gains in efficiency on MPG have been offset by the fact that Americans keep getting fatter. If we weighed as little as we did 30 years ago our gas use would be way down. Interesting huh?? I heard it somewhere, I'm sure it can be verified but think about it. it makes sense. Skinny people burn less gas.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

mac, it's something worth quantifying, for fun if for no other reason. If you could find the source I'd be grateful.

I'm a little skeptical because a car weighs 1-2 tons or more, and we usually drive them with only a single occupant. If our average weight has increased 20-40 pounds, that corresponds to about a 1% increase in the gross weight ... I can believe the difference in MPG is measurable, but my gut feel is that it's not significant compared with other factors.

P.S. I found the following, from the Journal of the American College of Nutrition, when doing a quick google search:

"An increase in weight in a vehicle decreases its gasoline efficiency; for every extra 100 pounds in a vehicle, there is a decrease of one mile per gallon (mpg) of gasoline [31]. Hence, the decrease in fuel efficiency, in regards to mpg of gasoline, can be calculated for the weight gain caused by overeating."

http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/full/25/3/203

So even being 50 lb overweight only reduces fuel efficiency by one half mpg per passenger.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

IN...what about the family of 4 who rides to KFC in the family truckster....most of them only use drive-thrus, using even more gas...when do you see an Obese person with a skinny wife and skinny kids??? Go to any Walmart in NH and see the evidence. The country needs a diet.

Forget tire inflation...the path to oil independence begins with a low carb diet and exercise!!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrkleen2002. Show mrkleen2002's posts

The truly scary thing is that if McCain does get in.....he will kick the bucket before he finished his term and we will be stuck with President Mitt Romney.

Not THAT is scary.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

"I refuse to use my opponent's youth and inexperience against him." Ronald Reagan eating Fritz Mondale for lunch in the biggest electoral trainwreck in history

Greg, you can't really be comparing McCain to St. Ronnie, can you?? Then again, maybe you're right. There's similar age issues, not recalling issues, and neither was big on details, both hated them Ruskies. Neither used the Internet a lot either (hardly fair, since Al Gore didn't invent it until after Ronnie left office). At least Reagan had some clue about the economic problems the country faced. His "solutions" only worked short term (like until he left office), but he wasn't going around saying that only people making $5 million or more are rich and that the economy is sound.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cuchalain. Show cuchalain's posts

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

And Greg, if McCain is elected and runs for re-election, you will likely vote for him twice. You probably voted for GWB twice. You're a Republican, I get that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

To be fair, Dave, McCain so far has only forgotten how many homes he owns, not selling arms to Iran to fund "Freedom Fighters"

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyG. Show MattyG's posts

Speaking of cigarettes...
    "Maybe that's a way of killing them." -- John McCain responding to a report that $158 million in cigarettes have been shipped to Iran during Bush's presidency despite restrictions on U.S. exports to that country, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, July 8, 2008

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyG. Show MattyG's posts

I dislike comparing Reagan to McCain as their advanced age when running for office is their only common trait.
    Reagan was dignified while McCain is crude. Reagan took a strong, pro-military stance; McCain has evolved into a warmonger. Reagan talked to our enemy; McCain opposes that.
    Something else...
    Despite the FUBAR Bush mission in Iraq, some people who are Islamic fundamentalists do pose a threat to us. Bin Laden is still out there and Pakistan is loaded with nukes and people who hate us.
    Iran isn't our friend, either.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from diggerfortruth. Show diggerfortruth's posts

[Quote]McCain is 72 years old and on 5 different medications.

He is starting to lose it.[/Quote]What are they?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from diggerfortruth. Show diggerfortruth's posts

What medications is he on?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

[Quote]

Uhm mhc, I'm not voting for him THIS time. I wouldn't go predicting what I'm gonna do NEXT time.[/Quote]

Fair enough. Bet you aren't voting Obama though. Who will it be? Gary what's his name? Write in for Fred Thompson?