Pill for endurance?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Pill for endurance?

California researchers report that they have found a pill that may boost endurance without exercise. If you could purchase a pill rather than exercise, would you do it? Why or why not?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdmasonneu. Show jdmasonneu's posts

Pill for endurance?

Why is it that we keep trying to hide the fact that with a healthy diet and exercise, there would be no such thing as obesity? The magic cure is already there, but the fact is that people are just lazy. I was overweight my entire life, but all it took to bring me down to my proper weight was a focused goal of eating healthy and exercising as a priority in my life. Looking back I realized that when I was unhealthy and fat, that I truely didn't care that I was living that way. There is no excuse (none) why overweight and obese people cannot become healthy by diet and exercise alone. No gimmicks are needed, no fast acting cures, nothing but good old fashion healthy eating and getting your butt off the couch.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sr20de. Show sr20de's posts

Pill for endurance?

Sounds good for people unable to exercise easily but will likely be another crutch for the fat and lazy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from massfan. Show massfan's posts

Pill for endurance?

Amen! There is NO MAGIC PILL!!!! Close the bag of chips, turn off the TV, get off the couch, and go for a walk!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sandybaby. Show sandybaby's posts

Pill for endurance?

I see more of a potential for abuse by athletes and teenagers looking to get huge than a benefit by someone who needs it, like someone with limited mobility.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Pill for endurance?

It's totally awesome. By taking a pill, I can avoid my least favorite activity, stop torturing myself, and add an extra hour to every day of my life? Bring it on!

But also - some of these comments are shockingly insensitive. For people who have been overweight their whole lives (mostly due to lack of education, but having obese parents helps), this might be what they need to kickstart an exercise regime. It can be discouraging to get winded quickly, or to fail to see results. I also know people who avoid gyms because when they do go, people stare at them like they're fat and disgusting. A little compassion goes a long way. If you're not overweight - that only means you're lucky. It doesn't mean you're better than everyone else.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sandybaby. Show sandybaby's posts

Pill for endurance?

"If you're not overweight - that only means you're lucky. "

I have an overweight former friend who said this to me all the time- I'm lucky because I'm thin. Luck has nothing to do with it, neither do genetics in my case. I watch what I eat and I get enough exercise to balance it out when I splurge. I don't think that makes me better than anyone else and I won't feel guilty for taking care of myself.

I'm sure you can guess why we are former friends- she made weight an issue, not me. I loved her as she is, she resented the hell out of me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Pill for endurance?

[Quote]Luck has nothing to do with it, neither do genetics in my case. I watch what I eat and I get enough exercise to balance it out when I splurge. I don't think that makes me better than anyone else and I won't feel guilty for taking care of myself.
    [/Quote]

That makes you lucky. If you had a heart condition that prevented you from exercise, or a medical condition that made you gain weight no matter what you eat, that would make you unlucky. If your body simply refused to drop weight no matter how little you ate or how much you exercised, that would make you unlucky. If you couldn't exercise because you had to work three jobs to support your family, that would make you unlucky.

You shouldn't feel guilty. However, you should feel grateful.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sandybaby. Show sandybaby's posts

Pill for endurance?

Ya, she sounded alot like you.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from trublusu. Show trublusu's posts

Pill for endurance?

Just like anything else, these magic pills will have some serious side effects. It will say on the label " This medication will work if you follow a proper diet and excercise" like they all do.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Pill for endurance?

Wow. Thanks for calling me fat.

If learning to exhibit an ounce of compassion for those less fortunate (whether you mean it or not) is simply too difficult, perhaps you could try not making assumptions about people you don't know.

I don't have to cut off my legs before I can feel empathy for those in a wheelchair, either.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Pill for endurance?

[Quote]Just like anything else, these magic pills will have some serious side effects. It will say on the label " This medication will work if you follow a proper diet and excercise" like they all do.[/Quote]

Plus, the list of side-effects will include several dozen things that are worse than being overweight. It's like the heartburn pill on TV where the side effects include uncontrollable diarrhea and death. No, thanks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecafsc. Show ecafsc's posts

Pill for endurance?

[Quote]If you're not overweight - that only means you're lucky. It doesn't mean you're better than everyone else.[/Quote]

This has to be the stupidest statement I have seen on these boards and that's say a lot considering the many stupide statements on BDC.
    I'm not overweight because I exercise and eat right. When I do eat junk food it's in MODERATION. A word overweight people don't seem to have a grasp of. And I also don't buy your load of crap about people being overweight due to lack of education. There are MANY well educated people who are overweight. Not too mention that we are taught in GRADE SCHOOL which foods are good for us. You know....the four food group charts we have all seen!!! Stop with the excuses. The majority of people who are overweight are so due to laziness and lack of self-control/self-dicipline.
    And before I get the hysterical response about those who have thyroid conditions please note I said "majority" and "All" in my above statement.
    Staying healthy is actually a rather simple formula. Eat right and exercise. No magic to it folks.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Pill for endurance?

[Quote]
    The majority of people who are overweight are so due to laziness and lack of self-control/self-dicipline.
    [/Quote]

There is absolutely no point trying to reason with you. There is none so blind as he who will not see.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecafsc. Show ecafsc's posts

Pill for endurance?

[Quote]

There is absolutely no point trying to reason with you. There is none so blind as he who will not see.[/Quote]

No you're right. People who are overweight are eating perfectly healthy and exercising on a consistant basis. It's just their bad luck that prevents them from losing the weight....even though they are doing EVERYTHING they can to lose it. You're absolutely right.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecafsc. Show ecafsc's posts

Pill for endurance?

[Quote]

uh oh. you got escaf feeling defensive again.

"everything is somebody's fauilt" , is escaf's first law if physics.

should we ask, what leads to motivation and discipline? i've spent a lot of time studying psychology and human behavior, and that's just too simplistic. you can't just toss aside the mountains of data on things like brain chemistry, such as in depression, or any number of other sub-clinical manifestations of common conditions like diabetes, HBP, insomnia, and a complex of stress related disorders.

we also shouldn't overlook phenomenon like learned helplessness, or the all too common aftereffects of things like abuse as a child.

i've spent my last ten or so years working with at risk kids, and adolecents with mental disabilities, and I jsut can't swallow the Free Will Fundametalism pill. It's not logical, and it disregards good science. In escaf's case, it's just a poor excuse to wag his finger at somebody. it's like a disability - I try not to stare, but it's hard.[/Quote]

LOL....what you're referring to are the exceptions. Or are you trying to say that EVERYONE who is overweight has depression? And since when can people who have diabetes not be able to eat right and exercise? Or people with HBP? Or even insomnia. I know people who have insomnia and they are in incredible shape. They have no problem working out and eating right. Enough with the excuses. I already stated that there are those who have legit physical problems where weight loss is next to impossible. But again, those are the exceptions. Not everyone who is overweight is so due to physical problems. I'm referring to those people who have the abiltiy but choose not to do anything because of sheer laziness. I come across people all the time that admit it flat out. They admit they are too lazy to exercise. This isn't my opinion. This is a fact. If Obama can find the time to exercise with the incredibly hectic schedule that a campaign is then ANYONE can.
    Oh btw....while you have "studied" it I have actually LIVED it. You can read all you want but until you work with people in trying to help them lose weight and live a healthier lifestyle then you really have no idea.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecafsc. Show ecafsc's posts

Pill for endurance?

[Quote]I understand that there are some people who are jsut plain fat, and don't seem to care particularly much either way. But I also know there are other people who feel tortured by their weight condition, and trapped by their behaviors, both cognitive and physical. Some people just can't find a way out of their own minds. It's a hard population to help, and it's much larger than you think.

And since you don't really know all these millions of people you are castigating in your Bill O'Reilly-esque wag of your pious finger, you're probably better off not saying anything about them.

Unless you're next comment is about how you plan to help those that want help, all you're doing is being cruel.[/Quote]

Um....I do help those that want help. That was my point when I mentioned I have experience in this. I've helped kids and adults who WANT to live a healthy lifestyle. What are you doing to help these people? So make assumptions about my finger pointing all you want. I help people who want it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecafsc. Show ecafsc's posts

Pill for endurance?

[Quote]ok escaf.

show me the data proving "those are the exceptions". please also include data on rates of abuse and depression. not to mention, rates of diabetes, HBP, and the net effects of stress chemicals on mental and physical health.

you really have no idea what you're saying, and I want you to prove it by trying to make your case.[/Quote]

Um because not everybody suffers from depression. Not everybody has diabetes. Not everybody has HBP. How do you not know this? You need "data" to tell you this? Do you really think EVERYONE has these conditions??? Stop it with the foolishness. use some common sense and logic for once in your life. Do you actually talk to people about losiing weight? About eating right? I do. I talk to lot's of people. I have an interest in helping people learn to live healthier. My experience is the data. Sorry I haven't gathered the info on paper for you to read.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecafsc. Show ecafsc's posts

Pill for endurance?

[Quote]Of course not everyone has those things - and I never said they did. Nice straw man (will you ever learn?).

Common sense and logic, which you claim to value, would mandate you pay attention to the science, and you don't.

Personal experience is always the least accurate measure of data in behavioral studies.

You should know that.

But thanks for telling us you got nothing, again.

So long as you don't have to question yourself, you're a happy camper.

Yup. Free will is absolute, and everything is someone's fault.

idiot.[/Quote]

Personal experience is least accurate? LOL...in what world? It kills you that you're dead wrong and will do and say anything to try and discount anything I say. At least I know I help people versus you telling someone to go read a study. That's helpful!!! Hahahaha...loser. Keep talking while I do the actual work.
    A kid I coached was severely overweight. He was very depressed over it as you can imagine. Not exactly fun being overweight but even less fun at high school level given how cruel some kids cab be. He was always told he'd be overweight. That he'd never be able to lose it. He was 5'11 308 lbs. I helped him get down to 240 in three months. As a result his entire family (all overweight) started to do what he was doing. They changed despite years and years of using their weight as a crutch. They just figured there was anything that could be done and that it would be too hard so they never bothered. I have other stories just like this but what do I know. Real experiences mean nothing. Behavioral studies are MUCH better. Hmmm, somehow I don't think a behavioral study was going to help them all lose the weight. But what do I know!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecafsc. Show ecafsc's posts

Pill for endurance?

[Quote]no escaf, it does not kill me that I am dead wrong. if you were familiar with behavioral research, you would understand well the unreliability of eyewitness / self report type data - it is considered to occupy the lowest rung in the pyramid of validity, which is topped by double-blind placebo controlled studies.
    in other words, your "personal opinion", is never mistaken by professionals as "data".

i'm glad you helped that kid. but if you think you can now apply whatever you THINK actually happened in that situtation to all other obese people, you're just being dumb.

go to school.[/Quote]

You're right. Real world experience that actually HAS an affect is nowhere NEAR as good as a study. Next time I'll have the person read the study and see how much weight they lose!!!!
    What is sad about you is that you just believe whatever you read. If you took the time to actually help people it might actually open your eyes a bit. So you keep studying and I'll do the actual helping of people. You have lots to learn. Someday you'll grow up and realize you don't know as much as you think you do

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Pill for endurance?

[Quote]I understand that there are some people who are jsut plain fat, and don't seem to care particularly much either way. But I also know there are other people who feel tortured by their weight condition, and trapped by their behaviors, both cognitive and physical. [/Quote]

The laziest person I know is a size 00 who eats bags of Oreos in the middle of the night. I have a friend who runs marathons a couple of times a year - she's a size 16-18. When I was a kid (and up through high school into college), my best friend outweighed me by at least 50 pounds, despite the fact that she exercised more than I did, and we ate about the same. Sometimes, genetics really does play a part.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecafsc. Show ecafsc's posts

Pill for endurance?

[Quote]I know Lucy. Genetics absolutely play a part. No question.

I just think we should allow for there also being peolpe who are just plain overweight because they like cheeseburgers more than salad, and TV more than jogging. Some of those people aren't even particularly sad about their weight - they're having fun. OR, it's just not a priority for them, at the time. (sometimes a cigar, is just a cigar - or maybe, sometimes a meatball sub is just a meatball sub).

But because there are so many possible "why's" we're unwise to wag our little fingers at peple, admonishing them for making such a "bad choice" in terms of their behaviors. Behaviors are a very complex business - and if the science tells us anything, it's that we make lots of faulty assumptions based on surface associations.

It's better to just leave fat people be, I figure, because it's their life, not mine, and they may be otherwise awsome people. But escaf needs to crap on "lazy" people the way I need coffee in the morning - so he just, continues.

Go figure.[/Quote]

You want to leave fat people be whereas I want to help them. See I believe that people should do all they can to prolong their life. To live as long a life as they can with their family and friends. So if I can help someone live a healthier lifestyle and cut down on heart disease, high blood pressure, etc. then I can at least feel like I'm doing some good. If you choose not to help then I'd just prefer you shut your mouth and move out of the way.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecafsc. Show ecafsc's posts

Pill for endurance?

[Quote]"The majority of people who are overweight are so due to laziness and lack of self-control/self-dicipline."

-nescafe.

Do you tell most of your clients that they're lazy? Do you find it very helpful?

I'm sure they love it.[/Quote]

No actually THEY tell ME they are lazy. They finally decided to take charge and stop being lazy and do something about it. And I'm all too happy to help them along.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecafsc. Show ecafsc's posts

Pill for endurance?

[Quote]ah, well, then if you say they say that to you, then it's a frikkin fact all around, eh?

this is lame.[/Quote]

Never said ALL around now did I. But why let facts get in the way. LOL

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecafsc. Show ecafsc's posts

Pill for endurance?

[Quote]well then now you're back to proving my point, nessie, that there are a variety of reasons a person might be fat, which is a good enough for why you shouldn't be running your mouth off judging them like you clearly do, no matter how desperately you try to throw your own clients under the bus by shifting the source of their loathing back onto themselves, where you merely reinforce it. you manage to loathe them, and blame them for you loathing them, becaue they said that's what you should think about them.

unbelieveable.[/Quote]

Hahahaha...you are clueless. I NEVER said laziness was the ONLY reason. You ASSumed that. Never in ANY of my posts did I EVER say that. I said it can account for majority and I'll stand by that. Where did I ever say i loathe them? By pointing out that people are lazy that means I'm "judgeing" them? So when did we lose the ability to state observations without being labeled??? And how did I throw them under the bus? I merely stated what THEY have admitted to me. Again, is stating facts something people can't do without being labeled now?
    You are a hysterical little girl right now. You're throwing a temper tantrum like a five year old hysterical girl. I think you've completely lost it....hahahahahahahahaha