A military size missle is launched 35 miles off the coast of LA and the pentagon say's "we have no clue who did it"? That's not good folks!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8ter2008. Show sk8ter2008's posts

Re: A military size missle is launched 35 miles off the coast of LA and the pentagon say's "we have no clue who did it&q...

Theres a cover up some where for some reason.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Re: A military size missle is launched 35 miles off the coast of LA and the pentagon say's "we have no clue who did it&q...

The most obvious explanation to me -- given the high improbablility of an accidental launch -- is that the Navy has some reason for conducting a test so close to shore that it is not likely to share with you and I, today, or ever.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

In Response to Re: A military size missle is launched 35 miles off the coast of LA and the pentagon say's "we have no clue who did it"? That's not good folks!!:
    [QUOTE]If it was a missile then it was a US missile.  Iran does not have forward deployed missiles capable of being launched from a submarine, they barely have a mid range land based capability as far as missiles go and their submarines cannot carry nor launch missiles.  This holds true for North Korea as well. 
    Posted by DamainAllen[/QUOTE]
    this

sorry skater but this isnt some international conspiracy

someone probably hit the wrong button and let one off...and at a couple million a piece...they have to investigate and see what happened

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8ter2008. Show sk8ter2008's posts

In Response to Re: A military size missle is launched 35 miles off the coast of LA and the pentagon say's "we have no clue who did it"? That's not good folks!!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: A military size missle is launched 35 miles off the coast of LA and the pentagon say's "we have no clue who did it"? That's not good folks!! : this sorry skater but this isnt some international conspiracy someone probably hit the wrong button and let one off...and at a couple million a piece...they have to investigate and see what happened
    Posted by Jimmy42Jack0[/QUOTE]

The problem with that is; It is virtually impossible for someone to "hit the wrong button and let one off" except on Saturday night Live.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lawboy. Show lawboy's posts

It was a flare shot from the Carnival cruise ship that's dead in water off San Diego.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8ter2008. Show sk8ter2008's posts

A CBS "expert" says it's definitely a solid fuel missle.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/11/10/earlyshow/main7040379.shtml

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RevWright. Show RevWright's posts

Was Obama in his red cape saving mankind from itself... again.  Yawwnnn.

PR is powerful stuff and we have a living example.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

[QUOTE]A CBS "expert" says it's definitely a solid fuel missle. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/11/10/earlyshow/main7040379.shtml
    Posted by sk8ter2008[/QUOTE]

Man do you even read this stuff before you post?  It's not even a CBS expert, it's an editor of a magazine about missiles who looked at the video for the London times...   

The article says in part:

But Doug Richardson, the editor of Jane’s Missiles and Rockets, examined the video for the Times of London and said he was left with little doubt.

"It’s a solid propellant missile," he told the Times. "You can tell from the efflux [smoke]."

Richardson said it could have been a ballistic missile launched from a submarine or an interceptor, the defensive anti-missile weapon used by Navy surface ships.

The Twitterati had a field day Tuesday, tweeting comments like "Can someone please tell me how our Department of Defense has no idea who launched a missile from California's coast?"; "So nobody in our government or military knows? Scary."; and "If you misplaced a missile off the coast of California, the U.S. government would like to have a few words with you."

The Federal Aviation Administration did not receive any reports of a missile from other pilots in the area or track any unusually fast objects. The Air Defense Command determined the object was not traveling fast enough or have a big enough exhaust plume to be a military missile.

The best guess right now is that it was either an airliner or an amateur rocket,
    but we may never know for certain.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobinVa. Show BobinVa's posts

It was not a missile, just a plane and its contrail, the seeming fiery display was an optical illusion, caused by the sunset.
    Once saw an interesting show about alleged UFO sightings by pilots and others , which displayed how, at sunset and sunrise under certain conditions the sun can cause very unusual effects in the sky. What looked like moving objects were actually the glint of the sun.
    While flying at high altitudes,  I have a few times seen similiar unusual effects of the sunset, the glint of the sun causing what looked like fire (unless it was too many cocktails).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Super77. Show Super77's posts

what they saw was the cannon pumpkin shooting competition...that's why its orange trail.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8ter2008. Show sk8ter2008's posts

Man do you even read this stuff before you post?  It's not even a CBS expert, it's an editor of a magazine about missiles who looked at the video for the London times...    Posted by WhatIsItNow[/QUOTE]

How about you try reading right under the title of the article and tell me what it says? I know you won't respond so, here it is.

Military Says Missile-Like Object Wasn't Missile

But Expert Interviewed by London Newspaper Is Sure It Was; Mystery of California Contrail Continues

BOOM

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

[QUOTE]It was not a missile, just a plane and its contrail, the seeming fiery display was an optical illusion, caused by the sunset. Once saw an interesting show about alleged UFO sightings by pilots and others , which displayed how, at sunset and sunrise under certain conditions the sun can cause very unusual effects in the sky. What looked like moving objects were actually the glint of the sun. While flying at high altitudes,  I have a few times seen similiar unusual effects of the sunset, the glint of the sun causing what looked like fire (unless it was too many cocktails).
    Posted by BobinVa[/QUOTE]

Most likely correct.  Also see the link I posted near the beginning of the thread re: how perspective can create the illusion.

However, my "model rocket" by extreme enthusiast(s) is not absurd.  Some people build pretty damn big model rockets.

ie,

"

Rocket Record: The Largest, Heaviest Amateur Rocket Ever Launched

Steve Eves broke two world records Saturday, when his 1/10th scale model of the historic rocket—built in his garage near Akron, Ohio—lifted off from a field on Maryland's Eastern Shore. The 36-ft.-tall rocket was the largest amateur rocket ever launched and recovered successfully—and at 1648 pounds, also the heaviest. Eves' single-stage behemoth was powered by nine motors—eight 13,000 Newton-second N-Class motors and a 77,000 Newton-second P-Class motor. (Five Newton-seconds is equivalent to about a pound of thrust.) All told, the array generated enough force to chuck a Volkswagen more than a half-mile—and sent the Saturn V more than 4440 feet straight up. It was arguably the most audacious display of raw power ever generated by an amateur rocket."

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/space/rockets/4315103

"As with low power model rockets, high power rockets are also constructed from lightweight materials. Unlike model rockets, high power rockets often require stronger materials such as fiberglass, composite materials, and aluminum to withstand the higher stresses during flights which often exceed Mach 1 (340 m/s) and over 3,000 m (10,000 ft.) altitude."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_rocket#High_power_rocketry

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

[QUOTE]How about you try reading right under the title of the article and tell me what it says? I know you won't respond so, here it is. Military Says Missile-Like Object Wasn't Missile But Expert Interviewed by London Newspaper

Reread your post, then go take a look at mine.

Anyone wonder why I insult people here?  Sk8 is the perfect example.  Fucking-numbnuts!   Imbecile-and-ass, through and through!.

Sk8, if you were simply wrong, it'd be one thing.  If you were persistent and wrong, it'd be one thing.

Here you are, arrogant and smug, lecturing me on what the article says below it's title.  CLUE-FOR-RETARD:  The expert mentioned just below the article title IS the editor of the missile magazine to whom I referred:

"But Doug Richardson, the editor of Jane’s Missiles and Rockets, examined the video for the Times of London and said he was left with little doubt.

"It’s a solid propellant missile," he told the Times.
    "You can tell from the efflux [smoke]."

Richardson said it could have been a ballistic missile launched from a submarine or an interceptor, the defensive anti-missile weapon used by Navy surface ships. "

"expert interviewed by London newspaper"

=

"Doug Richardson, the editor of Jane’s Missiles and Rockets, examined the video for the Times of London"

You can even do it by a process of elimination.  There aren't any other people in the article you linked saying it was a missile.

I would conclude that you're just screwing with me, except you make similar idiotic mistakes all the time on the boards.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawkeye01. Show hawkeye01's posts

[QUOTE]Reread your post, then go take a look at mine. Anyone wonder why I insult people here?  Sk8 is the perfect example.  Fucking-numbnuts!   Imbecile-and-ass, through and through!. Sk8, if you were simply wrong, it'd be one thing.  If you were persistent and wrong, it'd be one thing. Here you are, arrogant and smug, lecturing me on what the article says below it's title.  CLUE-FOR-RETARD:  The expert mentioned just below the article title IS the editor of the missile magazine to whom I referred: " But Doug Richardson, the editor of Jane’s Missiles and Rockets, examined the video for the Times of London and said he was left with little doubt. "It’s a solid propellant missile," he told the Times. "You can tell from the efflux [smoke]." Richardson said it could have been a ballistic missile launched from a submarine or an interceptor, the defensive anti-missile weapon used by Navy surface ships. " _________________________________________  CBS is calling him an "expert"  .Get it? Isn't very complicated ________________________________________  "expert interviewed by London newspaper"  = " Doug Richardson, the editor of Jane’s Missiles and Rockets, examined the video for the Times of London " ________________________________________ Honestly. 
    Posted by WhatIsItNow[/QUOTE]

Anyone wonder why I insult people here?  Sk8 is the perfect example.  Fucking-numbnuts!   Imbecile-and-ass, through and through!.

And that makes it right? Um....ok. You insult people to try to make yourself feel superior. But the reality is that makes you small.
    I suspect you were bullied as a kid, perhaps still are. So berating others from behind your computer is your way of getting those bullies back. Except that it really isn't. You need help to absolve these issues you carry inside you.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8ter2008. Show sk8ter2008's posts

[QUOTE]Reread your post, then go take a look at mine. Anyone wonder why I insult people here?  Sk8 is the perfect example.  Fucking-numbnuts!   Imbecile-and-ass, through and through!. Sk8, if you were simply wrong, it'd be one thing.  If you were persistent and wrong, it'd be one thing. Here you are, arrogant and smug, lecturing me on what the article says below it's title.  CLUE-FOR-RETARD:  The expert mentioned just below the article title IS the editor of the missile magazine to whom I referred: " But Doug Richardson, the editor of Jane’s Missiles and Rockets, examined the video for the Times of London and said he was left with little doubt. "It’s a solid propellant missile," he told the Times. "You can tell from the efflux [smoke]." Richardson said it could have been a ballistic missile launched from a submarine or an interceptor, the defensive anti-missile weapon used by Navy surface ships. " _________________________________________  CBS is calling him an "expert"  .Get it? Isn't very complicated ________________________________________  "expert interviewed by London newspaper"  = " Doug Richardson, the editor of Jane’s Missiles and Rockets, examined the video for the Times of London " ________________________________________ You can even do it by a process of elimination.  There aren't any other people in the article you linked saying it was a missile. I would conclude that you're just screwing with me, except you make similar idiotic mistakes all the time on the boards.

It doesn't really matter but, it's a CBS article right?

They say "Expert tells London newspaper it is a missle" in the caption. right?

Then in the article they go on to say he's editor of a missle rag. big deal

CBS is refering to him as a "Expert" and maybe he is along with being an editor of that missle mag.

The point is, anyone with 2 brain cells can clearly tell it wasn't some family or guy playing with his store bought or homemade rocket and launching it 35 miles at sea where it can be seen from land.

geez think before just casting reckless personal insults on an anonymous board  which is very childish and cowardly.

If, you can't stand the debate quit replying biotch.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

[QUOTE] It doesn't really matter but, it's a CBS article right? They say "Expert tells London newspaper it is a missle" in the caption. right? Then in the article they go on to say he's editor of a missle rag. big deal CBS is refering to him as a "Expert" and maybe he is along with being an editor of that missle mag.

So you were wrong to arrogantly lecture down to me about how I was wrong?  Particularly when it didn't matter whether CBS said he was an expert?  And you were wrong to post about it without even reading the article closely enough to understand who was saying what?

Well, it's rude to reject an apology, so you're forgiven.

[QUOTE]
    The point is, anyone with 2 brain cells can clearly tell it wasn't some family or guy playing with his store bought or homemade rocket and launching it 35 miles at sea where it can be seen from land.

I guess that rules you out.

But take a look at that picture of the 36-foot-tall model rocket blasting off.  Check out the smoke plume.    I think someone with 2 brains cells could mistake a 36 foot model rocket for a real rocket, when they're looking at it from 35 miles away.

There isn't any evidence of that and I wouldn't expect it, unless a big model rocket washes ashore.  It certainly is not impossible.

Either way, for the moment, everyone but you an the editor of a magazine about missiles says this wasn't a missle at all, but most likely a plane whose contrail was distorted by the perspective, time of day, temperature, and humidity. 

[QUOTE]
    geez think before just casting reckless personal insults on an anonymous board  which is very childish and cowardly. If, you can't stand the debate quit replying biotch.

For the moment, it appears you have lost the debate.  If the military says "actually, oops, it was a missle," then you will have won it.  Sort of.

Either way, being a hypocrit by whining about BDC forums insults before issuing them yourself isn't going to help. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8ter2008. Show sk8ter2008's posts

[QUOTE]So you were wrong to arrogantly lecture down to me about how I was wrong?  Particularly when it didn't matter whether CBS said he was an expert?  And you were wrong to post about it without even reading the article closely enough to understand who was saying what? Well, it's rude to reject an apology, so you're forgiven. I guess that rules you out. But take a look at that picture of the 36-foot-tall model rocket blasting off.  Check out the smoke plume.    I think someone with 2 brains cells could mistake a 36 foot model rocket for a real rocket, when they're looking at it from 35 miles away. There isn't any evidence of that and I wouldn't expect it, unless a big model rocket washes ashore.  It certainly is not impossible. Either way, for the moment, everyone but you an the editor of a magazine about missiles says this wasn't a missle at all, but most likely a plane whose contrail was distorted by the perspective, time of day, temperature, and humidity.  For the moment, it appears you have lost the debate.  If the military says "actually, oops, it was a missle," then you will have won it.  Sort of. Either way, being a hypocrit by whining about BDC forums insults before issuing them yourself isn't going to help. 

I think you may be sniffing the plume too much. thanks anyway

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8ter2008. Show sk8ter2008's posts

This guy is at least honest!! If, he's right about what it is then his confusion of why the govt can't just come out and say it is point on.

Los Angeles, California (CNN) -- The Pentagon is unable to explain images of what witnesses took to be a high-altitude rocket launched off the coast of Southern California at sunset Monday, officials said.

But John Pike, a defense expert who is director of GlobalSecurity.org, said he believes he has solved the mystery.

"It's clearly an airplane contrail," Pike said Tuesday afternoon. "It's an optical illusion that looks like it's going up, whereas in reality it's going toward the camera. The tip of the contrail is moving far too slowly to be a rocket. When it's illuminated by the sunset, you can see hundreds of miles of it ... all the way to the horizon.

"Why the government is so badly organized that they can't get somebody out there to explain it and make this story go away. ... I think that's the real story," Pike added. "I mean, it's insane that with all the money we are spending, all these technically competent people, that they can't get somebody out there to explain what is incredibly obvious."

Yet we want them to run, heathcare, retirements, and fix the economy!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

[QUOTE] thanks anyway

You're welcome.  I'm happy to point out that you proudly make utterly false statements about articles you have posted but not read.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

[QUOTE] John Pike, a defense expert who is director of GlobalSecurity.org, said he believes he has solved the mystery. "It's clearly an airplane contrail," Pike said Tuesday afternoon. "It's an optical illusion that looks like it's going up, whereas in reality it's going toward the camera. The tip of the contrail is moving far too slowly to be a rocket. When it's illuminated by the sunset, you can see hundreds of miles of it ... all the way to the horizon.

Which is what more or less everyone in the thread was saying from the beginning, with whom you argued, claiming it was clearly an ICBM.

Talk about dense...

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobinVa. Show BobinVa's posts

"The bright light at the source of the plume is not something you would see coming from a plane - at least not one you would like to be flying in :)"

The bright light is the sun reflecting off the airplane.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.