A One-Size-Fits-All Government Cannot Survive in the iPad Era

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

A One-Size-Fits-All Government Cannot Survive in the iPad Era

Rasmussen:

Washington’s political class fundamentally misunderstands the role of politics and government in American society. They act as if government is the central force in American life and that its decisions guide the course of the nation. In historical reality, societal trends embrace new technology and the deep currents of public opinion lead the way. Government follows along a decade or two behind. 

By the 1960s and ’70s, centralization of communications was as powerful as it has ever been. There were just three national television networks, and they attracted 90 percent of the TV audience. Those same networks provided news for radio as well. In print, the Associated Press and United Press International provided just about all the national and international news read by the American public.

The trend towards centralization was everywhere. Rather than small businesses serving a local community, big corporations made their appearance. Oil, steel and railroad companies operated on a scale never before seen. The Sears catalog became a fixture in millions of homes and trains delivered the exact same products on the exact same terms to millions of distant households.

Government, of course, played a role in all of this. Sometimes it helped move things forward, and sometimes it was an obstacle to progress. But government never drove the process. Society changed and government adapted.

As society became more centralized, so did the government. Politicians were happy to ride the wave of societal trends as it brought them more power and money.

But the trends changed starting in the 1970s with the launch of cable television networks. That gave individuals more choices in the 1980s, and the Internet expanded those choices in the 1990s. Now we’ve reached a level of personalization powered by more than 100 million smartphones. The culture of individual choice and customization is so strong that no two of these smartphones are alike. We have different apps, music and more.

Over the past 30 years, as society has moved away from centralization, the political class has resisted. Government has grown ever more centralized. In fact, the federal government today directly controls a far larger chunk of the nation’s economy than it did just a generation or two ago.

That disconnect exists partly because politics and government always lag behind. It’s also partly because politicians are not thrilled with riding the new wave that disperses power away from the political class.

The disconnect cannot continue. Sooner or later, the politicians will concede and the government will catch up.

Simply put, a one-size-fits-all central government cannot survive in the iPad era.

Read more: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2013/11/09/a_one-size-fits-all_government_cannot_survive_in_the_ipad_era_120621.html#ixzz2kMkDt4Lm
    Follow us: @RCP_Articles on Twitter

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

Re: A One-Size-Fits-All Government Cannot Survive in the iPad Era

Over the past 30 years, as society has moved away from centralization, the political class has resisted. Government has grown ever more centralized.

Thats funny.  The private sector company I work for has 400 offices in North America.  We have centralized Billing, HR, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Recruiting, Training, Customer Service, Legal, MIS, Asset Mgmt, etc.

I wonder if it ever occurred to our Exec Staff and Board members that to suvive in this iPad era, we should decentralize and have 400 of such departments scattered everywhere

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to UserName9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Over the past 30 years, as society has moved away from centralization, the political class has resisted. Government has grown ever more centralized.

Thats funny.  The private sector company I work for has 400 offices in North America.  We have centralized Billing, HR, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Recruiting, Training, Customer Service, Legal, MIS, Asset Mgmt, etc.

I wonder if it ever occurred to our Exec Staff and Board members that to suvive in this iPad era, we should decentralize and have 400 of such departments scattered everywhere

[/QUOTE]

I would venture to say that there are several differences.  The first is that the centralization rasmussen is talking about is control, not efficiency.  Your company does so to be efficient, responsive to the shareholders.  The government does so to control you.

second, there are state governments to consider. The more centralized the Feds become, the more the states are left to do useful things like, well, nothing.

third is purpose.  the federal government has a specific purpose, laid out in the constitution.  It is well beyond that.  Your company also has a purpose That involved making money, and, if it is well run, it could care less about controlling things beyond it's narrow interest.  Example: I don't imagine your company would seize all the coffee shops in the area of where you work because they think they can deliver coffee cheaper and more effectively to its workers? 

didn't think so.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would venture to say that there are several differences.  The first is that the centralization rasmussen is talking about is control, not efficiency.  Your company does so to be efficient, responsive to the shareholders.  The government does so to control you.

second, there are state governments to consider. The more centralized the Feds become, the more the states are left to do useful things like, well, nothing.

third is purpose.  the federal government has a specific purpose, laid out in the constitution.  It is well beyond that.  Your company also has a purpose That involved making money, and, if it is well run, it could care less about controlling things beyond it's narrow interest.  Example: I don't imagine your company would seize all the coffee shops in the area of where you work because they think they can deliver coffee cheaper and more effectively to its workers? 

didn't think so.

[/QUOTE]

The point is that Rasmussen is full of crapppe.  He's invented some alternate reality where decentralization is everywhere, except government.

But the truth is the exact opposite.  Corporations are every bit as centralized as government because its the most efficient way to operate.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

didn't think so.

[/QUOTE]

What ever happened to the neo-con meme that gov't should operate like a business?

Oh, I guess when that argument is shown to ridiculous ya'll start just making up crap and arguing against yourselves....again.

[/QUOTE]

I never bought into that. I don't know anyone who really thinks that.  Apparently you are just making it up.  Sure, an idea here or there, but in the main? No.

who are these neo-cons to which you refer?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

didn't think so.

[/QUOTE]

The point is that Rasmussen is full of crapppe.  He's invented some alternate reality where decentralization is everywhere, except government.

But the truth is the exact opposite.  Corporations are every bit as centralized as government because its the most efficient way to operate.

[/QUOTE]

I think you need to read it again, or get out of your bubble.  The country is largely decentralized in certain areas that used to. be centralized: communication being his primary example.  That's his point.

government, on the other hand, is attempting to centralize economic activity, like healthcare, as Obama is doing with Obamacare.  That's his other point.

i have to laugh that you don't see a company with 400 offices across the country as decentralized.  Tell me, why do they have 400 locations? Why don't they just have one?  

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

didn't think so.

[/QUOTE]

What ever happened to the neo-con meme that gov't should operate like a business?

Oh, I guess when that argument is shown to ridiculous ya'll start just making up crap and arguing against yourselves....again.

[/QUOTE]

I never bought into that. I don't know anyone who really thinks that.  Apparently you are just making it up.  Sure, an idea here or there, but in the main? No.

who are these neo-cons to which you refer?

[/QUOTE]

You were Mitten's biggest cheerleader who kept blabering about how great it would be to have a businessman in the WH.

[/QUOTE]

Don't think so.  I am not a fan of Mitt.  Never was.  You must have me confused with someone else.

But, I will say, given the choice between a community organizer and a businessman, well, just look at the wreckage from electing a community organizer.  ANY profession could do better.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

didn't think so.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think you need to read it again, or get out of your bubble.  The country is largely decentralized in certain areas that used to. be centralized: communication being his primary example.  That's his point.

government, on the other hand, is attempting to centralize economic activity, like healthcare, as Obama is doing with Obamacare.  That's his other point.

i have to laugh that you don't see a company with 400 offices across the country as decentralized.  Tell me, why do they have 400 locations? Why don't they just have one?  

[/QUOTE]

Wow, just wow.

Hey spanky, pull down your skirt, your business ignorance is showing again.

[/QUOTE]

I'll take that as you are trying to figure out how to call 400 locations "centralized".

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

didn't think so.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Wow, just wow.

[/QUOTE]

I'll take that as you are trying to figure out how to call 400 locations "centralized".

[/QUOTE]

We have 400 locations for the same reason McDonalds has 15000 locations......we do business in those markets.  And like McDonalds, just about all business decisions are made centrally.  Our branch offices aren't allowed to deviate from the centrallized business model, just like a local McDonals can't decide to sell ham sanwiches if they want to.

Seriously, is this too difficult for you to grasp?

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

"The culture of individual choice and customization is so strong that no two of these smartphones are alike. We have different apps, music and more."

No matter whether a business has a "central office" or not, free market businesses have to  deliver what Americans want, customization.

Clunky Government still delivers the Ford Model T. You can have a Model T in any color you want, as long as it is black.

That is because free market business must adapt to customer need and wants, or die..Whereas, Government exists not to serve customers, the public, but to perpetuate itself. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

This thread gets two "Deeeerrrrps".

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:

[QUOTE]

"The culture of individual choice and customization is so strong that no two of these smartphones are alike. We have different apps, music and more."

No matter whether a business has a "central office" or not, free market businesses have to  deliver what Americans want, customization.

Clunky Government still delivers the Ford Model T. You can have a Model T in any color you want, as long as it is black.

That is because free market business must adapt to customer need and wants, or die..Whereas, Government exists not to serve customers, the public, but to perpetuate itself. 

[/QUOTE]

Wow, you wingnuts really don't get it.

Gov't is not supposed to treat people differently, that's the whole point of the Consitution and the Bill of Rights.

Gov't isn't a business, it's an insitution put in place by society to ensure that all citizens are treated equally and fairly.

Geepers, are you wingnuts being this dense on purpose?

[/QUOTE]

No, I think you have the "being dense" market cornered.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

didn't think so.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Wow, just wow.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We have 400 locations for the same reason McDonalds has 15000 locations......we do business in those markets.  And like McDonalds, just about all business decisions are made centrally.  Our branch offices aren't allowed to deviate from the centrallized business model, just like a local McDonals can't decide to sell ham sanwiches if they want to.

[/QUOTE]

You sell hamburgers?

most mcdonalds are franchises, which by definition are decentralized.  What they do is follow standards for delivering a mighty fine product.  Mmmm.

congratulation on your company centralizing keeping track of the money, just like every other company in the world.

seriously, stop before you hurt yourself.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedwardnicky. Show jedwardnicky's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

didn't think so.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Wow, just wow.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You sell hamburgers?

most mcdonalds are franchises, which by definition are decentralized.  What they do is follow standards for delivering a mighty fine product.  Mmmm.

congratulation on your company centralizing keeping track of the money, just like every other company in the world.

[/QUOTE]

You think McDonalds serves a "mighty fine product"?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedwardnicky. Show jedwardnicky's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well, he did serve Arby's at his wedding after all.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure he ever said that. I do seem to recall him saying that working at McDonalds should be a low paying job.... while serving a "mighty fine product". Also, he seemed to suggest that the poor were getting fat by eating a cheap "mighty fine product" served by low payed individuals.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to jedwardnicky's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

didn't think so.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Wow, just wow.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You sell hamburgers?

[/QUOTE]

You think McDonalds serves a "mighty fine product"?

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely!  

It is not often you can find such a tasty burger handed to you through a window.  Stay in he car.  Life is good!

I guess most here shop only at whole foods.  I get it.  It is only good for you if people see you buying good things.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And it cost a bloody fortune.  $103.19.

I kept the cost down by telling family to holdback..

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to jedwardnicky's comment:

[QUOTE]

I'm not sure he ever said that. I do seem to recall him saying that working at McDonalds should be a low paying job.... while serving a "mighty fine product". Also, he seemed to suggest that the poor were getting fat by eating a cheap "mighty fine product" served by low payed individuals.

[/QUOTE]

McDonalds is expensive, comparatively, but a mighty fine product.  Stop being so, well, roots and growth.  Not everyone can afford Whole Foods 24x7.  I buy day old meat(frozen) in the supermarket and make my own burgers.  Can't live high off the hog like you government workers and union reps.

Seems like you are the one suggesting things about poor people.  Did talking about McDonalds bring some sort of image to your brain?  Eh?