ABC News uses random Facebook commenters to try to smear Ted Cruz

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

ABC News uses random Facebook commenters to try to smear Ted Cruz

ABC News uses irate Facebook commenters to try to shame Ted Cruz.

“Real journalism” at its finest.

Sen. Ted Cruz was among the many who mourned the death of former South African President Nelson Mandela, and he posted a respectful message yesterday on his Facebook page.

But ABC News didn’t think that was juicy enough. It made Sen. Cruz look like too decent a guy, you know? So in order to spice things up, writer Anneta Konstantinides decided to comb through the post’s comments for followers who said negative things about Mandela, because if she couldn’t use Cruz’s words to make him look bad, she might as well use other people’s.

Konstantinides, dutiful reporter that she is, was also careful to note that “Cruz’s office did not return calls seeking comment on his followers’ posts.”

Well, duh. Neither Cruz nor his office have anything to explain or apologize for.

Seriously, ABC News. Get a hobby. Clearly you’ve got nothing constructive to do these days.

http://twitchy.com/2013/12/06/slow-friday-abc-news-uses-irate-facebook-commenters-to-try-to-shame-ted-cruz/

Otherwise,  ABC News, comb through the hundreds of hateful nasty vile leftist comments found daily on HuffPost and MSNBC and blame President Obama for them...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Re: ABC News uses random Facebook commenters to try to smear Ted Cruz

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sen. Ted Cruz was among the many who mourned the death of former South African President Nelson Mandela, and he posted a respectful message yesterday on his Facebook page.

But ABC News didn’t think that was juicy enough. It made Sen. Cruz look like too decent a guy, you know? So in order to spice things up, writer Anneta Konstantinides decided to comb through the post’s comments for followers who said negative things about Mandela, because if she couldn’t use Cruz’s words to make him look bad, she might as well use other people’s.

Konstantinides, dutiful reporter that she is, was also careful to note that “Cruz’s office did not return calls seeking comment on his followers’ posts.”

Well, duh. Neither Cruz nor his office have anything to explain or apologize for.

Seriously, ABC News. Get a hobby. Clearly you’ve got nothing constructive to do these days.

http://twitchy.com/2013/12/06/slow-friday-abc-news-uses-irate-facebook-commenters-to-try-to-shame-ted-cruz/

Otherwise,  ABC News, comb through the hundreds of hateful nasty vile leftist comments found daily on HuffPost and MSNBC and blame President Obama for them...

[/QUOTE]

CLC,

It is basic journalism to try to get a response from the person or persons who are central to your story.

If she had not, the Senator's office would have been screaming that they were not even asked for a comment before the story was released.

Even a No comment is a comment OR we had no comment by press time OR the office ignored repeated attempts for a comment. All of this is SOP for a story will be signed off on.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

In response to andiejen's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

CLC,

It is basic journalism to try to get a response from the person or persons who are central to your story.

If she had not, the Senator's office would have been screaming that they were not even asked for a comment before the story was released.

Even a No comment is a comment OR we had no comment by press time OR the office ignored repeated attempts for a comment. All of this is SOP for a story will be signed off on.

[/QUOTE]

Trying to get a response  from Sen Cruz, is not the point.

The point is, ABC trying to smear Sen Cruz, based on anonymous posts on a facebook page, whch Sen Cruz obviously has no control over and no responsibility for.

Can ABC, whose news director is a liberal Clinton political operative, George Stephanoupolos,  be any more transparent as to its disdain for the conservative Sen Cruz?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to andiejen's comment:

CLC,

Trying to get a response  from Sen Cruz, is not the point.

The point is, ABC trying to smear Sen Cruz, based on anonymous posts on a facebook page, whch Sen Cruz obviously has no control over and no responsibility for.

Can ABC, whose news director is a liberal Clinton political operative, George Stephanoupolos,  be any more transparent as to its disdain for the conservative Sen Cruz?

CLC,

I went directly to the source. The ABC news story to backtrack so we could break this down fairly.

Below is the ABC story with the link 

By Anneta Konstantinides

Dec 6, 2013 2:27pm AP Ted Cruz DC 131206 16x9 608 Ted Cruz Criticized for Praising Nelson Mandela

Ryan Evon/Odessa American/AP Photo

While much of the world was eulogizing Nelson Mandela, some of Sen. Ted Cruz’s followers were fuming that the man who defeated South Africa’s apartheid and won the Nobel Peace Prize should be reviled as a communist and a terrorist.

They were also critical of Cruz, R-Texas, for praising Mandela.

The death of Mandela Thursday at age 95 prompted an outpouring of praise from around the world.

Cruz also eulogized Mandela on his Facebook page, writing, “Nelson Mandela will live in history as an inspiration for defenders of liberty around the globe… Because of his epic fight against injustice, an entire nation is now free.”

The senator’s office defended his post, which got over 5,000 likes.

“Mr. Mandela deserves to be remembered and honored for his sacrifices in pursuit of freedom for the oppressed and his historic achievements to that end,” said Cruz spokeswoman Catherine Frazier.

But some of his followers were dismayed by the senator’s praise.

“Let’s not forget that Mandela called Castro’s Communist revolution ‘a source of inspiration to all freedom loving people,” wrote Mike Bates in the most liked comment on the post.

“Mandela was a white hating killer and his wife continued his tradition..including torture and immolation of enemies,” said Bob Ciuffa. “Honoring him is like honoring the prince of darkness.”

“Sad to see you feel this way Ted,” wrote Tom Griffin. “He was a terrorist. I guess you have only seen the Hollywood movies.”

“May he rest in peace. But I was afraid this day would come, when Ted Cruz would disappoint,” said Dan Knopp. “He might as well just let it all out know and let us know who he really is…Can’t support someone who doesn’t know history, accepts the rewritten version, or is willing to risk his base pandering to the politically correct crowd.”

“Um, yeah, Mandela was a communist and was involved in torture, terror, and murder,” said David Frey. “Just lost a lot of respect, Senator Cruz. A whole lot.”

"Cruz’s office did not return calls seeking comment on his followers’ posts."

If there is any "beef" to be had" it would be with twitchy.com...not with ABC news it seems.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/12/ted-cruz-criticized-for-praising-nelson-mandela/

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Tea partiers hating on Nelson Mandela?  What's that all about?  Must be something to do with fiscal policy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

"If there is any "beef" to be had" it would be with twitchy.com...not with ABC news it seems"

Huh?

When actor Paul Walker was killed in a car crash this week, facebook followers of Barack and Michelle Obama posted that they they wished it was "Scott Walker"

....did ABC headline this as :

"Obama followers wish Republican Governor would die in horrible car crash"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

ok

[/QUOTE]

The depth and insight of such a post, explains how to reach the goal of 16,949 posts....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]

"If there is any "beef" to be had" it would be with twitchy.com...not with ABC news it seems"

Huh?

When actor Paul Walker was killed in a car crash this week, facebook followers of Barack and Michelle Obama posted that they they wished it was "Scott Walker"

....did ABC headline this as :

"Obama followers wish Republican Governor would die in horrible car crash"

[/QUOTE]

The tea party turning on a tea party candidate over a racial issue is fair game.  One or two hateful comments would be ignored - 1300 is news.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

How is this a racial issue?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hatred for the man who ended Apartheid?  I'll let you figure that out.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

In response to slomag's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

All we evil racist Republicans pine for the days of Apartheid, you see, according to slomag.

Except the American Party of Apartheid and the KKK for a century, was the Democratic Party. Kind of embarassing for your side, dont ya think?  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to slomag's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

All we evil racist Republicans pine for the days of Apartheid, you see, according to slomag.

Except the American Party of Apartheid and the KKK for a century, was the Democratic Party. Kind of embarassing for your side, dont ya think?  

[/QUOTE]

Not all of you, but obviously the ones on Ted Cruz's facebook do.  Either they liked Apartheid, or they don't care.  Either way, they have found a reason to hate Nelson Mandela.  Not just hate him, but hate him enough to rile against mild praise in eulogy. 

I'm not a Dem, I'm a progressive.  No party has my allegience.  The Democrats past in the south is embarrassing.  The Republicans present everywhere even more so.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I don't like anything about  Ted Cruz..but this sounds like lazy journalism on the part of ABC. First of all..it's not even news what Ted Cruz thinks about Nelson Mandela.  Who cares what he thinks..and why does ABC think that it's newsworthy? Further..as much as I don't care about what Cruz has to say...I care even less about what a bunch of crazy people following him on FB think. Why does ABC even provide these people a forum to be heard? Poor journalism.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't like anything about  Ted Cruz..but this sounds like lazy journalism on the part of ABC. First of all..it's not even news what Ted Cruz thinks about Nelson Mandela.  Who cares what he thinks..and why does ABC think that it's newsworthy? Further..as much as I don't care about what Cruz has to say...I care even less about what a bunch of crazy people following him on FB think. Why does ABC even provide these people a forum to be heard? Poor journalism.

[/QUOTE]

Ted Cruz is topical, Nelson Mandela is topical and racism always sells.  CNN is picking up on it too ... http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/politics/2013/12/06/exp-lead-politics-panel-facebook-backlash-ted-cruz.cnn.html

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Someone with a logical point of view! Holy cow Batman!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Here are the comments that ABC cherry picked from the Cruz comment stream and my analysis:

“Let’s not forget that Mandela called Castro’s Communist revolution ‘a source of inspiration to all freedom loving people,” wrote Mike Bates in the most liked comment on the post.

This is criticism of Mandela's politics, I see no racism here.

“Mandela was a white hating killer and his wife continued his tradition..including torture and immolation of enemies,” said Bob Ciuffa. “Honoring him is like honoring the prince of darkness.”

Other than just being plain wrong AFAIK, I think this poster is actually accusing Mandela of racism here. That may be because the poster himself is racist but there's no way to actually tell.

“Sad to see you feel this way Ted,” wrote Tom Griffin. “He was a terrorist. I guess you have only seen the Hollywood movies.”

Another criticism of the man's politics.

“May he rest in peace. But I was afraid this day would come, when Ted Cruz would disappoint,” said Dan Knopp. “He might as well just let it all out know and let us know who he really is…Can’t support someone who doesn’t know history, accepts the rewritten version, or is willing to risk his base pandering to the politically correct crowd.”

This one is to vague to determine what the poster is actually upset about.

“Um, yeah, Mandela was a communist and was involved in torture, terror, and murder,” said David Frey. “Just lost a lot of respect, Senator Cruz. A whole lot.”

Another criticism of the man's politics.

So - I see no overt racism here, just passionate opinions regarding Mandela's politics. I'd be willing to bet a paycheck that if Mandela was white he would have received the same kind of criticism based on his leadership of a communist leaning organization that engaged in terrorism.

By the way, I'm completely agreeing with the comment made by Cruz himself:

Nelson Mandela will live in history as an inspiration for defenders of liberty around the globe. He stood firm for decades on the principle that until all South Africans enjoyed equal liberties he would not leave prison himself, declaring in his autobiography, 'Freedom is indivisible; the chains on any one of my people were the chains on all of them, the chains on all of my people were the chains on me.' Because of his epic fight against injustice, an entire nation is now free.

I think that we can set aside political differences and celebrate a man who fought for freedom and, when given the chance, refused to engage in revenge on his former tormenters.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Neo-cons hate communism. What can I say?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

"Communism" in itself no longer means anything....in the US at least.  Just like "Socialist" and "Liberal", communism is used as a convenient pejorative to replace thought.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

I'm sorry but this is newsworthy.  These are Cruz's followers and to some extent their reaction speaks to the type of person he has targetted as his base.  Not everyone has to love Mandela, there are many criticisms that are just, but the venom and hatred espoused by some is clearly not rational criticism.  Cruz and others should be mindful of the seeds they sow as they attempt electoral success.  It is easy to poke the bear, not so easy to deal with it once it is fully enraged.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

In response to UserName9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"Communism" in itself no longer means anything....in the US at least.  Just like "Socialist" and "Liberal", communism is used as a convenient pejorative to replace thought.

[/QUOTE]

You mean like "neo-con" or "wingnut" or "radical right?"

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Neo-cons hate communism. What can I say?

[/QUOTE]

So why are they trashing a man who created one of the most successful democracies in Africa?

Sounds like they love apartheid and facism more than they hate communism....that is if you really believe in democracy as the best antidote to communism.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you about democracy, as long as it isn't corrupted.

They're trashing him, I think, because they can't get past the violence in his past, his leadership of the AMC, and his vocal support for communists. I think that they're not looking at the complete picture.