Abolish The Debt Ceiling

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Abolish The Debt Ceiling

Seriously, what is the point is this artificial, "ready-for-my-closeup-Mr. DeMille", kabuki theater version of how to keep a government running half-smoothly...?

What is the purpose of voting to pay for laws that the congress has already voted to pay for...?

And even when they do finally get their thumbs out to vote, the debate itself spooks those precious markets and damages the nation's credit rating.  The last clusterf**k in 2011 cost the government an extra $19 billion in interest alone.

This is the "uncertainty" that businesses hate and that repubs say is so bad, and yet they line up to dish it out every time.  And the dems are no better on this score, either.

However, there's nothing remotely "fiscally conservative" about stamping your feet, holding your breath, and refusing to pay your bills on time....

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Abolish The Debt Ceiling

I wouldn't go that far invoking the 14th.

The whole thing just doesn't make much practical sense...

...any more than these retahded symbolic-only votes and fake filibusters to "defund" a law that realistically cannot be defunded...

...and numerous other wastes of the bodies' time....

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

i agree with matty...lets eliminate all barriers to limiting Congress and our President to spending money that they dont have....if its good for government it must be good for businesses and individuals too!!!!  let the spending commence...free limitless money for EVERYBODY!!!!!

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:

In response to macnh1's comment:

i agree with matty...lets eliminate all barriers to limiting Congress and our President to spending money that they dont have....if its good for government it must be good for businesses and individuals too!!!!  let the spending commence...free limitless money for EVERYBODY!!!!!

A quick reminder: the debt ceiling is the amount the government is allowed to borrow in order to pay bills accrued by Congress.

If I accrue too much debt but cant pay my bills this week....get ready for this..you may need to sit down....then I need to STOP SPENDING SO MUCH!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

That's not at all what I said, nor what I meant, and you should know it.

There are plenty of ways congress can limit spending and adjust taxes for revenue, the primary one being the budgetary process...nothing to do with signing the checks they have already written.

Politics aside, it's the right thing to do.

Your constant displays of ignorance are getting boring, mac.  Step up your game.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

A quick reminder: the debt ceiling is the amount the government is allowed to borrow in order to pay bills accrued by Congress.

If I accrue too much debt but cant pay my bills this week....get ready for this..you may need to sit down....then I need to STOP SPENDING SO MUCH!!!

[/QUOTE]

Can't spend it twice.

This money is already spent.

Capisce?

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Seriously, what is the point is this artificial, "ready-for-my-closeup-Mr. DeMille", kabuki theater version of how to keep a government running half-smoothly...?

What is the purpose of voting to pay for laws that the congress has already voted to pay for...?

And even when they do finally get their thumbs out to vote, the debate itself spooks those precious markets and damages the nation's credit rating.  The last clusterf**k in 2011 cost the government an extra $19 billion in interest alone.

This is the "uncertainty" that businesses hate and that repubs say is so bad, and yet they line up to dish it out every time.  And the dems are no better on this score, either.

However, there's nothing remotely "fiscally conservative" about stamping your feet, holding your breath, and refusing to pay your bills on time....

I will agree with you IF:

1) The government is only allowed to spend in one year the expected revenue to be collected for that year, through thick or thin.

2) ALL borrowing would be short term borrowing, with all accounts settled and zeroed out on the last day of the fiscal year.

And lastly:

3) That the debt be the top priority, as in paid out, of each budget, with at least an equal amount of principle and interest each month, until gone.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

The debt cieling doesnt limit that. Congress already decides what and how much to spend. The debt voter is just a vote to say that we will pay what we already spent. It is like saying someone buys a car and then a few months later decides whether or not they will actually pay the bill to the company they bought the car from! 

If you want to spend less then spend less. Do not buy and then decide whether you will or will not pay the bill. 

SO removing this quite rediculous step of deciding whether we are liars and cheats and thieves or that we will in fact pay for what we ALREADY bought is actually the most practical thing to do.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

[QUOTE]

1) The government is only allowed to spend in one year the expected revenue to be collected for that year, through thick or thin.

2) ALL borrowing would be short term borrowing, with all accounts settled and zeroed out on the last day of the fiscal year.

And lastly:

3) That the debt be the top priority, as in paid out, of each budget, with at least an equal amount of principle and interest each month, until gone.

[/QUOTE]

If you hire someone to perform a service ... say defending the country by accepting their services in the armed forces... or you have a road or bridge fixed or buy a tank... you really do not have the right to then decide NOT to pay for it. The vote you are talking about is only to say that we agree to pay for what we ALREADY bought / agreed to. Someone has already been wounded defending our country.. a bridge or road already fixed, a tank built and delivered, etc. 

No. If you tell someone to do the work you have to pay for it. No one would let you or I decide whether we would pay the guy who already fixed our leaky roof. We would be completely obligated to pay.

Your criteria would need to be applied to the process BEFORE we had someone fix our roof!!!! This vote comes well after the fact.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

And lastly:

If you hire someone to perform a service ... say defending the country by accepting their services in the armed forces... or you have a road or bridge fixed or buy a tank... you really do not have the right to then decide NOT to pay for it. The vote you are talking about is only to say that we agree to pay for what we ALREADY bought / agreed to. Someone has already been wounded defending our country.. a bridge or road already fixed, a tank built and delivered, etc. 

No. If you tell someone to do the work you have to pay for it. No one would let you or I decide whether we would pay the guy who already fixed our leaky roof. We would be completely obligated to pay.

Your criteria would need to be applied to the process BEFORE we had someone fix our roof!!!! This vote comes well after the fact.

Therein lies the problem.  Don't spend what you don't have.  If that means our military is 6 boy scouts doing a summer internship and welfare is a glass of water and a pat on the back, so be it.

Liberals are of this mindset that we need certain things, and our ability to pay for it is irrelevant.  That is the big lie of liberalism.  the truth is government needs to be limited to no more than we can raise, and the rest of it is up to us as individuals.

Oh, and you don't go commting to things you can't pay for, up front. enough alread.y

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

And lastly:

The Democrat Party is the Party of Government . It exists to spend and grow the size and power of the State, and make more government dependents. So it doesnt really matter if we have a debt ceiling, since the Democrats have no ceiling , they will continue until we are ruined.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Sorry, but the GOP has their hobby horses...plus numerous pork barrel projects, giveaways and other fun stuff, too.

This is not really about the parties but the absurd machinations we have to go through every time this comes up....sausage-making at its worst.

Unfortunately, since Congress is also us, they have taken the familiar approach of kicking the can down the road to the next generation...like they did with healthcare and social security and sweetheart trade deals.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:

[QUOTE]The Democrat Party is the Party of Government . It exists to spend and grow the size and power of the State, and make more government dependents.

No, I think they're trying to give all the power to the Illuminati, to build nano-thermite.

[/QUOTE]

I'm going to report you at the next illumimnati meeting.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]The Democrat Party is the Party of Government . It exists to spend and grow the size and power of the State, and make more government dependents.

No, I think they're trying to give all the power to the Illuminati, to build nano-thermite.

[/QUOTE]

Heh, heh, heh.... ya the Dems passed all these spending bills in the HoR when the wingnuts weren't looking. Hilarious!!!!

Maybe it was Barney Frank, we all know how powerful the wingnuts say he is...heck, he single-handedly percipitated the finacial collapse.

Obviously ya don't get enough press for the wingnuts to stand up and oppose a spending before it adds to the debt.

[/QUOTE]

You do know that the Democrats controlled the House for quite a few years?  I think it has only been the last few that the Republicans have been in charge.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Sorry, but the GOP has their hobby horses...plus numerous pork barrel projects, giveaways and other fun stuff, too.

This is not really about the parties but the absurd machinations we have to go through every time this comes up....sausage-making at its worst.

Unfortunately, since Congress is also us, they have taken the familiar approach of kicking the can down the road to the next generation...like they did with healthcare and social security and sweetheart trade deals.

All true.  And sad.  At the same time.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

To borrow a line:

"This is why we can't have nice things."

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

And lastly:

Therein lies the problem.  Don't spend what you don't have.  If that means our military is 6 boy scouts doing a summer internship and welfare is a glass of water and a pat on the back, so be it.

Liberals are of this mindset that we need certain things, and our ability to pay for it is irrelevant.  That is the big lie of liberalism.  the truth is government needs to be limited to no more than we can raise, and the rest of it is up to us as individuals.

Oh, and you don't go commting to things you can't pay for, up front. enough alread.y

You see SKeeter, we AGREE on some of what you are saying. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]

And lastly:

The Democrat Party is the Party of Government . It exists to spend and grow the size and power of the State, and make more government dependents. So it doesnt really matter if we have a debt ceiling, since the Democrats have no ceiling , they will continue until we are ruined.

[/QUOTE]

I think where you and I differ is that I believe that BOTH parties are not working FOR the people of this country. I beleive that they are both bought and paid for. When you follow the money and the names you find that elected officials and their staffers find jobs in the huge lobby industry. The revolving door leads them into the private sector and then back into office in the public sector.

Government has been bought. VOters need to realize that we need to find common ground in order to restore American democracy. I am no fan of either party. I see that both parties do not help us.

25. This post has been removed.