But, but.....the economy is doing so well I thought?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tacobreath. Show tacobreath's posts

But, but.....the economy is doing so well I thought?

Obama and his enablers (MSM) keep telling us about the "recovery".  Where is it?  This is when we need airborne to put together some mathematical formulas to discredit a guy like Zuckerman.  Too bad he`s gone.  I can hear him now........"well, if you take the government spending out of Q3/2011 and multiply it by yesterday`s temperature in Florida, and divide by the score of the Lakers/Celtics, game, you will see that it was Bush`s fault"

The economy stinks and it ain`t getting better. You guys voted for this incompetent. Explain yourselves.

Zuckerman: ‘Great Recession’ Gives Way to ‘Grand Illusion’

March 25, 2013

•  Despite a $1 trillion expansion of America’s money supply and the “most stimulative fiscal policy” in history, the U.S. economy has actually continued to decline over the last three years, according to U.S. News & World Report chief Mortimer Zuckerman.

“The Great Recession is an apt name for America's current stagnation, but the present phase might also be called the Grand Illusion — because the happy talk and statistics that go with it, especially regarding jobs, give a rosier picture than the facts justify,” penned Zuckerman, in an article published Monday in The Wall Street Journal.

After 2.4 percent annual growth rates in gross domestic product both in 2010 and 2011, the economy slowed to 1.5 percent growth in 2012, said Zuckernman, who noted that the cumulative growth for the past 12 quarters was just 6.3 percent, which amounts to the slowest of all 11 recessions since World War II.

“The country isn't really advancing, By comparison with earlier recessions, it is going backward,” said Zuckerman.

“And last year's anemic growth looks likely to continue,” he explained. “Sequestration will take $600 billion of government expenditures out of the economy over the next 10 years, including $85 billion this year alone. The 2 percent increase in payroll taxes will hit about 160 million workers and drain $110 billion from their disposable incomes.”

Moreover, President Obama’s signature healthcare legislation — Obamacare — “will be a drag of more than $30 billion,” he estimated. “The recent 50-cent surge in gasoline prices represents another $65 billion drag on consumer cash flow.”

Zuckerman also insists that the 236,000 net new jobs added to the economy in February is misleading because it counted 340,000 part-time, low-wage jobs.

“Many of the so-called net new jobs are second or third jobs going to people who are already working, rather than going to those who are unemployed,” said Zuckerman.

He said that number of Americans unemployed for six months or longer also went up by 89,000 in February to a total of 4.8 million. “The average duration of unemployment rose to 36.9 weeks, up from 35.3 weeks in January,” according to Zuckerman.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Re: But, but.....the economy is doing so well I thought?

I'm shocked airborne hasn't come back yet. Unlike him to take this much time off. I wonder if he's grounded and that's why he isn't back yet? Hahaha

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

I read this article this morning.  I am thinking that the left is going to find it hard to discredit Zuckerman.  Any, what he says in a large part is what myself and some others have been saying all along:  it's an illusion, unemployment is worse than it appears, and the economy is in fact, shrinking, not growing.  Things are really bad.  The sooner we admit we have a problem, the sooner we can get to a solution.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to Newtster's comment:

If you account for the money plowed into the economy by the Fed and and the various stimulus programs, the private sector is still shrinking. 

If you look back 20 years or so and take out the growth in debt (especially from people pulling money out of the equity in their home), the real growth of the economy has been negative for a long time.

Yes, but many here, and just about everyone you are likely to run into today, haven't a clue about this basic economic analysis.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tacobreath. Show tacobreath's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

If you account for the money plowed into the economy by the Fed and and the various stimulus programs, the private sector is still shrinking. 

If you look back 20 years or so and take out the growth in debt (especially from people pulling money out of the equity in their home), the real growth of the economy has been negative for a long time.

Yes, but many here, and just about everyone you are likely to run into today, haven't a clue about this basic economic analysis.

How would they?  They`re watching American Idol and Snookie.  They`re making sure the EBT card is full and the obamaphone has minutes.  Do we really think the people that pay ZERO taxes are concerned with the price of gas? Milk? Bread? .......or the loss of value on their house?   Do we think that the people that voted for this fool know what GDP or negative growth is?

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

THat is true and the government does its best to hide the truth by manipulating economic statistics and teaching kids Heather has Two Mommies in school instead of personal finance.

They want us dumb. Otherwise some people might figure out how we are getting ripped off with Ponzi Scheme social programs and how they lie about government finance.

I particularly take note at how the common wisdom amoung liberals, who, by definition are big government supporters, how they sully the term "profit".  As if that is a bad thing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

THat is true and the government does its best to hide the truth by manipulating economic statistics and teaching kids Heather has Two Mommies in school instead of personal finance.

They want us dumb. Otherwise some people might figure out how we are getting ripped off with Ponzi Scheme social programs and how they lie about government finance.

I particularly take note at how the common wisdom amoung liberals, who, by definition are big government supporters, how they sully the term "profit".  As if that is a bad thing.

Profit is ok with liberals....it's when it's "too much" profit that they seem to have issue with. How they can determine what is ok profit and not ok profit is beyond me. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

Profit is ok with liberals....it's when it's "too much" profit that they seem to have issue with. How they can determine what is ok profit and not ok profit is beyond me. 

Here are some examples of liberal-think:

Profit made by liberals like Buffet and Bill Gates, that's OK.

Profit made by doctors and nurses, that's not OK.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Don't forget profits made by oil companies and health insurers, not ok

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

How could I forget profits by oil companies being bad?  After all, it was Sarah Palin who taxed these profits and "re-distributed" them to the people.

And, healthcare. Why on earth would I want people to be incented to help make me healthier?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tacobreath. Show tacobreath's posts

How could I forget profits by oil companies being bad?  After all, it was Sarah Palin who taxed these profits and "re-distributed" them to the people.

And, healthcare. Why on earth would I want people to be incented to help make me healthier?

(QUOTE)

Let`s not lose track of the facts stated by Zuckerman.........................This isn`t about "profits".  It`s about lack of profit(s).  It`s about a horrific, disgusting, destroyed, economy, and the lies from the Incompetent adminstration that are telling us everything is great.  It`s also about the fools that believe the BS coming from Obama.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to tacobreath's comment:

(QUOTE)

Let`s not lose track of the facts stated by Zuckerman.........................This isn`t about "profits".  It`s about lack of profit(s).  It`s about a horrific, disgusting, destroyed, economy, and the lies from the Incompetent adminstration that are telling us everything is great.  It`s also about the fools that believe the BS coming from Obama.

Well, more precisely, as Milt Friedman woudl put it, the free market system to which we aspire is on of not only profit, but loss, as well.  Loss is the mechanism by which bad companies are culled out of the economy.

Large businesses, ie. "too big to fail" , have distorted this principle, primarily through lobbying and requlation with government, and straight out influence peddling.  We need to break that relationship.  We would have neither the problems that led tup to TARP, nor the TARP program istself, if not for this tight big business/government relationship.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Health isn't a commodity - if you love the free market solution to everything, why not let your surgeon re-open negotiations when you're on the operating table?

Buffet and Gates are doing good things with their profits.  HSBC not so much.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Large businesses, ie. "too big to fail" , have distorted this principle, primarily through lobbying and requlation with government, and straight out influence peddling.  We need to break that relationship.  

Finally, a point from you with which I can agree.

Too bad both parties are firmly inter-dependent on these relationships.

I've been arguing for a while that the big businesses run the show, and the politicians are FOR show...a distraction to let the people think they have a say in how the country is run.

They don't.  Never did.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

Real Estate is on fire. Someones making money.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tacobreath. Show tacobreath's posts

In response to BilltheKat's comment:

Housing is on fire. Someones making money.

Read the data.  Housing is on "fire" if you can take a loss.  If you bought your house in 2006 for $450k, yes........you can sell it in about 3 seconds if you`re willing to take $375k for it.  That`s whats happening.  There`s not enough inventory and houses are being purchased quickly at bargain (by comparison) prices. 

We have a neighbor purchased for $800k in 2006.  House is for sale now at $659k with open houses every weekend.  Nobody shows up.......nobody.  He`s already losing $140k so he can`t go lower.  He told me last week the realtor said drop to $599k and it will be gone in a week.

If that`s "on fire"...........well, geez, you`re right.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Realtors are making money.  The sellers are engaing in fire sales.  That's what's on fire: their equity.

Still this is a great example of how the free market ought to work, is it not?  Profit for the successful, loss for those who fail.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

Realtors are making money.  The sellers are engaing in fire sales.  That's what's on fire: their equity.

Still this is a great example of how the free market ought to work, is it not?  Profit for the successful, loss for those who fail.

What are you saying, this is good under your enterprise example but in the same breath you challenge that same enterprise???? Typical conservative, looking for anyway to dash the libs, pathetic,

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

What are you saying, this is good under your enterprise example but in the same breath you challenge that same enterprise???? Typical conservative, looking for anyway to dash the libs, pathetic,

No, that's not what I am saying.  I'm sorta agreeing with you, in part.  I think the difference is you see the sudden rise in sales as indiciative of a market turning around.  I'm seeing it as more of a capitualation, i.e. people know theywill not see their lost equity, that's finally hitting them.  and, I'm OK with that.  that's how real markets work.  Are you OK with that?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Is this when we should all act impressed?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

Is this when we should all act impressed?

Is this where I get to say WHOOOOSH?