Could London style riots happen here if we cut too much spending?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

Could London style riots happen here if we cut too much spending?

www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/barbarians_within_Hgv74LXgQnxXQ3MEkJXMIO">Barbarians within

www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/barbarians_within_Hgv74LXgQnxXQ3MEkJXMIO">Why Brit-style riots could spread to US

They were cleaning up the mess in London yesterday -- replacing the windows at the Ritz, fixing the wooden façade at Fortnum & Mason and attending to a vandalized Trafalgar Square in the wake of Saturday's protests -- and riots -- by trade unionists and anarchists.

Think it can't happen here? Think again.

The British press reports that up to half a million people took part in the demonstrations, 200 were arrested and more than 160 injured -- including 84 police officers, 11 of whom had to be hospitalized.

Why? Because Prime Minister David Cameron announced a $130 billion cut in public spending and this is how the infantile left reacts when its I've-got-mine-Jack gravy train is threatened.

Expect more of this in the coming months and years, as countries finally face up to the fact that the money has run out and that tough choices must be made -- not just nickel-and-dime decisions about which programs to cut but the harder issues of whether certain programs should even exist.

We've already seen it, on a smaller scale, in Wisconsin, during the recent battle over Gov. Scott Walker's plan to rein in the public-employee unions. In Madison, the capitol was occupied by hordes of protesters and the lives of some Republican state legislators were threatened.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/barbarians_within_Hgv74LXgQnxXQ3MEkJXMIO

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Re: Could London style riots happen here if we cut too much spending?

Yes

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

The authorities are starting to take some tougher measures against the 'protesters'....rubber bullets, clubbings, etc.

When does the Obama Doctrine kick in?  Shouldn't we be arming the protesters or bombing England for this kind of brutality against their own people?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlleyCatBruin. Show AlleyCatBruin's posts

Yes.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lawboy. Show lawboy's posts

let them eat cake

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from KittyDuke. Show KittyDuke's posts

I hope there is rioting.. my flat screen is starting to fade.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I sure hope so...

...when it comes to political protests, I'm a traditionalist at-heart.

(within respectable limits of debauchery, that is.)

But I know which side I'll be on. 

Do you...?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhichOnesPink. Show WhichOnesPink's posts

I'll be on the side that isn't acting like an animal. Rioting is never the right answer.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KittyDuke. Show KittyDuke's posts

evolution vs revolution

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In Response to Re: Could London style riots happen here if we cut too much spending?:
    [QUOTE]I sure hope so... ...when it comes to political protests, I'm a traditionalist at-heart. (within respectable limits of debauchery, that is.) But I know which side I'll be on.  Do you...?
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

I'll be on the side of the small business man protecting his store front with a shot gun.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: Could London style riots happen here if we cut too much spending?:
    [QUOTE]Rioting is never the right answer.
    Posted by WhichOnesPink[/QUOTE]

Maybe not...but it sure gets peoples' attention in a big hurry.  (sometimes, as in egypt's case, it gets regime change...)

In any case, this isn't really about short-term economics; it's about long-term, systemic disgruntlement that just needed a spark to set the streets on fire.

And I'll be clear here: I don't agree with what they're doing nor why they (supposedly) are doing it.  But that's not the same as saying these things sometimes need to happen.  History has proven repeatedly that once a society becomes too imbalanced, something has to give.  In Syria, they're dying by hundreds every day to make precisely that point.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhichOnesPink. Show WhichOnesPink's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Could London style riots happen here if we cut too much spending? : Maybe not...but it sure gets peoples' attention in a big hurry.  (sometimes, as in egypt's case, it gets regime change...) In any case, this isn't really about short-term economics; it's about long-term, systemic disgruntlement that just needed a spark to set the streets on fire. And I'll be clear here: I don't agree with what they're doing nor why they (supposedly) are doing it.  But that's not the same as saying these things sometimes need to happen.  History has proven repeatedly that once a society becomes too imbalanced, something has to give.  In Syria, they're dying by hundreds every day to make precisely that point.

Killing is a way to get peoples attention too...should we do that?
    An imbalanced society is nothing to lose ones life over. Jesus christ....people need to get some perspective.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from doozy-day. Show doozy-day's posts

[QUOTE]Verizon Union strikers sabotaging cable boxes. 
    Posted by chiefhowie[/QUOTE]

Which will happen first in this country?

The middle class will riot when the government makes dumb decisions with their money, raises taxes, and act like children when fighting with the other party?

Or.......

The "entitlement" generation will rise-up and take to the streets when the government takes away the "teet"  of free money?

Psst.....I'll give you a hint, one of these scenarios has already happened, and the middle class didn't riot........

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Could London style riots happen here if we cut too much spending? : Killing is a way to get peoples attention too...should we do that? An imbalanced society is nothing to lose ones life over. Jesus christ....people need to get some perspective.

Such is human nature, i.e., the "animal" within us all. 

People have died or been killed for much, much less.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]I sure hope so... ...when it comes to political protests, I'm a traditionalist at-heart. (within respectable limits of debauchery, that is.) But I know which side I'll be on.  Do you...?

Yes, I do.  You will be on the side of the looters and freeloaders, burning cars and smashing windows, upset because the expectation will shift to you making your own way through life.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhichOnesPink. Show WhichOnesPink's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Could London style riots happen here if we cut too much spending? : Such is human nature, i.e., the "animal" within us all.  People have died or been killed for much, much less.

And that makes it right? THAT is your justification? That other people have died for less. Alrighty then.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Could London style riots happen here if we cut too much spending? : Yes, I do.  You will be on the side of the looters and freeloaders, burning cars and smashing windows, upset because the expectation will shift to you making your own way through life.
    Posted by skeeter20[/QUOTE]

Heh.  I make my "own way through life" just fine, thanks... good job, nice house, hot wife... 'tis true, I have few real needs or wants.

That I've worked for it is beside the point.  Genuine Empathy is just the bare minimum in regard for my own good fortune.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Could London style riots happen here if we cut too much spending? : And that makes it right? THAT is your justification? That other people have died for less. Alrighty then.

It's as good a justification as any for civil unrest on this scale.

Would I prefer they aired their grievances non-violently?  Of course.

But why should I be surprised or judgmental when people get angry (very angry) because they feel their good faith arguments are being roundly ignored by the ruling classes...??

As a citizen of a nation formed out of rebellion, who am I to judge??

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhichOnesPink. Show WhichOnesPink's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Could London style riots happen here if we cut too much spending? : It's as good a justification as any for civil unrest on this scale. Would I prefer they aired their grievances non-violently?  Of course. But why should I be surprised or judgmental when people get angry (very angry) because they feel their good faith arguments are being roundly ignored by the ruling classes...?? As a citizen of a nation formed out of rebellion, who am I to judge??

HAHAHAHA...you judge on BDC all the time. NOW we're supposed to believe your above that. Jesus christ.....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Could London style riots happen here if we cut too much spending? : It's as good a justification as any for civil unrest on this scale. Would I prefer they aired their grievances non-violently?  Of course. But why should I be surprised or judgmental when people get angry (very angry) because they feel their good faith arguments are being roundly ignored by the ruling classes...?? As a citizen of a nation formed out of rebellion, who am I to judge??

So, just keep giving handouts to the layabouts?  That's your cause for rebellion, blood in the streets?  You are a sick dude.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Could London style riots happen here if we cut too much spending? : Heh.  I make my "own way through life" just fine, thanks... good job, nice house, hot wife... 'tis true, I have few real needs or wants. That I've worked for it is beside the point.  Genuine Empathy is just the bare minimum in regard for my own good fortune.

That's not empathy you are feeling.  what you are feeling is the emptiness  of immorality cause by caused by your unwillingness to grasp the wrong being done in London.