FDA PROPOSES BAN ON ANTIBACTERIAL SOAPS

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

FDA PROPOSES BAN ON ANTIBACTERIAL SOAPS

Here I thought I have been doing a good thing for my family, me as well as guests in our home.

Now, like other things that at first were good and then they said were not good for you, all my antibacterial products are going under the cabinets for now. 

Now what to replace them with. Fragrance -free liguid green products? Dove?

Or can I dare go back to my Crabtree & Evelyn favorite liqiuid soaps, such as Lavender Garden Therapy and La Source?

FDA proposes ban on antibacterial soap products 

The US Food and Drug Administration announced a proposed regulation on Monday to ban certain ingredients in anti-bacterial soaps if manufacturers cannot prove that these products are safe to use and more effective than plain soap and water for preventing the spread of infections. Such a move will likely force makers of personal hygiene products to reformulate all bar soaps, liquid soaps, body washes, and dishwashing liquids labeled as “anti-bacterial” and “antimicrobial” to keep them on store shelves.

Antibacterial soaps made by companies including Dial, Lever, and Dove contain chemicals that have a spotty safety record. “Some data suggest that long-term exposure to certain active ingredients used in antibacterial products—for example, triclosan (liquid soaps) and triclocarban (bar soaps)—could pose health risks, such as bacterial resistance or hormonal effects,” according to a statement released by the FDA.

Almost all soaps labeled “antibacterial” or “antimicrobial” contain at least one of the antibacterial ingredients that the FDA is proposing to ban. Household cleaning products may also contain them.

Most liquid hand sanitizers, such as Purell, and anti-bacterial wipes do not contain the worrisome ingredients. These “leave on” products contain alcohol to kill germs and aren’t affected by the planned regulation, according to the FDA. Anti-bacterial products used in hospitals and food manufacturing facilities also aren’t affected.

Certain triclosan-containing toothpastes, like Colgate Total, which are designed to fight gum infections will not be affected by the new regulation because clinical trials of the products have established that their benefits outweigh any risks, FDA deputy director Dr. Sandra Kweder said during a media briefing.

“Antibacterial soaps and body washes are used widely and frequently by consumers in everyday home, work, school, and public settings, where the risk of infection is relatively low,” said Dr. Janet Woodcock, director of the FDA’s Center for Drug Evaluation and Research. “Due to consumers’ extensive exposure to the ingredients in antibacterial soaps, we believe there should be a clearly demonstrated benefit from using antibacterial soap to balance any potential risk.”

Manufacturers will have about six months to respond to the planned regulation, which likely won’t be implemented until 2016. For now, the FDA recommends using plain soap and water to wash hands and to avoid using antibacterial soaps, which will remain on the market for now. If soap and water are not available, an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60 percent alcohol should be used.

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/health/blogs/daily-dose/2013/12/16/fda-proposes-ban-antibacterial-soaps/Wc3XVpOHAmcXZQBmtpDsvN/blog.html?SSFEAT=1029Boston-OGRecommendations-Blog-1362518241719&SREF=CustomerSite&SFBState=Unknown

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Re: FDA PROPOSES BAN ON ANTIBACTERIAL SOAPS

[QUTOE]Amused Psyched Shocked Sad Annoyed [/QUOTE]

Mixed emotions?

Anyway... This is probably a pretty good move. Killing bacteria in this way kills the weaker ones and leaves the strong ones to breed and evolve into super bugs. Not a good idea.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

A post removed on the toxic subject of antibacterial soaps?  Understandable, since there has been rioting in the streets on this issue....

There should be  a ban on BDC squeaky clean antibacterial scrubbing of posts...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

The FDA should look into that AXE soap. Can't imagine what chemicals make that stuff up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A post removed on the toxic subject of antibacterial soaps?  Understandable, since there has been rioting in the streets on this issue....

There should be  a ban on BDC squeaky clean antibacterial scrubbing of posts...

[/QUOTE]

Do you know whose post was removed?

They used to say, of course, "X posters comment has been removed/deleted/etc.

Then they changed both in the forums and in the Aricles to not stating the username of the poster.

This one is very strange. What in the world could someone have posted so awful about this subject?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Now what to replace them with

Simple soaps and water work just fine.

They're finding out that it's really not a very good idea to destroy or alter the microbiological biome that we evolved with. Most of these critters are good to have around or, at least, not harmful. There are 100 trillion bacteria in the human body, much of which is essential to our health.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=ultimate-social-network-bacteria-protects-health

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to andiejen's comment:

Here I thought I have been doing a good thing for my family, me as well as guests in our home.

Now, like other things that at first were good and then they said were not good for you, all my antibacterial products are going under the cabinets for now. 

Or can I dare go back to my Crabtree & Evelyn favorite liqiuid soaps, such as Lavender Garden Therapy and La Source?

If you want my opinion, calling that class of soaps "anti-bacterial" was just industry shennanigans to begin with.

First, traditional soap does not actively kill bacteria. It prevents them from 'sticking' if you will, essentially washing off the bacteria along with any other dirt/stuff on your hands.

My understanding: In doses used in 'anti-bacterial soap, triclosan hinders bacterial ability to reproduce and build cell membranes. But it's essentially redundant because you're washing those hindered-bacteria right off anyway. It's not like you're leaving a film of triclosan on your hands and waiting an hour for two generations of bacteria to fail to reproduce. There is, in short, no real point to putting it in a soap.

And now, we learn, it may have hormonal effects. Yippee.

Like they say, just use plain old soap. If you're really worried, a high-alcohol sanitizer.

[/QUOTE]

You know, your explanation sounds scientifically sound.

I trust you so I feel no need to research this any further. 

So I will pul out the Crabtree & Evelyn for all the bathrooms and the kitchen sink.

The sets (liquiid soap and hand cream) are also nice for both the home and as gifts...such as Xmas gifts...intended and those people who surprise you with a gift you always have to have something like that to give them in return.

The other backup is some type of alcohol. Alcohol to drink... like champagne or whiskey or wine...not alcohol rob on your hands like Purell, etc.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Now what to replace them with[/QUOTE]

Simple soaps and water work just fine.

They're finding out that it's really not a very good idea to destroy or alter the microbiological biome that we evolved with. Most of these critters are good to have around or, at least, not harmful. There are 100 trillion bacteria in the human body, much of which is essential to our health.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=ultimate-social-network-bacteria-protects-health

[/QUOTE]

SB, 

Good link. Thank you.

You and WDYWN make a whole lot of sense. Plus the link.

Analogy would be limiting the use of antibiotics so you do not build up a resistance. Also hard to say no to certain doctors. To tell them would rather take a wait and see approach sometimes.

Maybe not a great analogy but something we have done.

I also skip the flu shot. Husband gets it. Last 3 years he also got the flu. I did not even though I took care of him every time by myself.

Hard to know what to do on these every day, every year decisions for you as well as people you make them for.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to BilltheKat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The FDA should look into that AXE soap. Can't imagine what chemicals make that stuff up.

[/QUOTE]

Bill, 

Absolutely.

Have seen the commercials for that. Never have purchased it though friends and family have.

As has been said. Yikes!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to andiejen's comment:

If you want my opinion, calling that class of soaps "anti-bacterial" was just industry shennanigans to begin with.

First, traditional soap does not actively kill bacteria. It prevents them from 'sticking' if you will, essentially washing off the bacteria along with any other dirt/stuff on your hands.

My understanding: In doses used in 'anti-bacterial soap, triclosan hinders bacterial ability to reproduce and build cell membranes. But it's essentially redundant because you're washing those hindered-bacteria right off anyway. It's not like you're leaving a film of triclosan on your hands and waiting an hour for two generations of bacteria to fail to reproduce. There is, in short, no real point to putting it in a soap.

And now, we learn, it may have hormonal effects. Yippee.

Like they say, just use plain old soap. If you're really worried, a high-alcohol sanitizer.

[/QUOTE]

Ixnay on the hand sanitizer. Most of them kill bugs with alcohol, but because alcohol dries out the skin, they put some moisturizer in the mix like lanolin. You was your hands and kill the bugs, but have a residue of the mositurizer which is like a petri dish for bugs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Your Nanny State hard at work:

The FDA started the process of investigating this...in 1972! 

Also, the chemical "triclosan" which is being questioned as unsafe, was adopted for use only  because the FDA erroneously found another chemical was supposedly unsafe...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

So you have a  kneejerk defense of a government agency taking 41 years to perform a  duty mandated by Congress?

Is there anything the Nanny State Government F**s up, that you wont defend?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My son uses the stuff by the truck load since the day he discovered girls.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

He was as healthy as a horse until he came down with cancer caused by the chemicals in the anti-bacterial soap he was using.

If only Native Americans had anti-bacterial soap back in the day, maybe they wouldn't have been driven to the point of extinction.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Says it causes hormone problems?? Hope the kid survives women tearing their clothes off in elevators and such. Cuz, ya know.

Advertising works, kids.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Says it causes hormone problems?? Hope the kid survives women tearing their clothes off in elevators and such. Cuz, ya know.

Advertising works, kids.

[/QUOTE]

Bill,

Got to feel bad for SB's son. I get he discovered girls. I get he became I walking 6 foot tall hormone. (Just guessing on the height. My favorite height for men.)

I remember back when my husband and i first met. He loves to say it was love at first sight. But I think it was lust at first sight for him that quickly turned into love as well. He would do anything for me. Hormones. Chemistry. At 26 for him.

Maybe SB will have another father to son talk. This time about soap.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

SB,

As I just said to Bill, maybe you should have another father to son talk.

This time about soap. AXE soap. 

Must be something he could use that would not mess with his health.

Maybe treat him to something like Armani...that is really nice. Newest is Armani Code. The matching cologne/spray is beautiful. Comes in a black bottle with white letter

Or one of the Calvin Kleins. Like Eternity. Or CK One. Very light fragrance.

Just some suggestions. I have bought the above for my husband and like them a lot.

There are a lot of nice mens soaps. 

In fact, I find it easier to choose mens fragrances and soaps, etc. then womens. Sometimes I buy unisex like Banana Republic or Ralph Lauren. 

The Body Shop has some real nice choices.

You can get all of the above on line. I usually use Macys. Free shipping for $50 and over for "Beauty" purchases. That includes mens items. 

Plus it is Xmas time. A lot of bonus gifts right now.

Btw, can you tell I am the gift shopper in the family? He buys 1 Xmas gift evry year for friends in San Francisco. He just finally did it. Cut it prety close for a Xmas delivery.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

[QUOTE]

Don't females - teenager and adult alike - hate Axe?

I haven't specifically consulted a present teenager, but the female (and adult male) opinion is that it smells like a chemical trail that screams "I, douchius"

[/QUOTE]

According to my husband, male teenagers LOVE AXE. Guess He knows thru his male friends/colleages.

To be honest, I had not heard of it until this thread. 

He is also more up on current music. Far more up.

Then again, he is a professional guitarist.

I stopped playing the French Horn when I was 26. And that hardly keeps you in the current music scene anyway. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

We got a twofer this week:

FDA tells soap company's to prove a benefit or shut up.

Medical Journal comes out and says vitiamins and supplements for the vast majoroity of people are useless to harmful.

Our germophobic society needs to relax those of us boomer and up; surviced with daily vitiamins, antibacterial soap and people made sandwiches at subs shops without rubber gloves.  We also didn't have an epidemic of food allergies.  This mentality is what has lead to out of control medical costs and over testing.

Its science run amuck, whats next red wine good of bad for you, coffee good or bad for you, ................anything in moderation is just fine.