Give up burgers and stop climate change!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Give up burgers and stop climate change!

Why do liberals hate science, and rely upon absurd exaggeration and hyperbole?

For loony lefty syndicated columnist David Sirota, it's all just another day at the office. Sirota made national news for his bizarre and bigoted hope that the Boston bomber would turn out to be "a white American."

Fresh off that fiasco, Sirota has turned his sights to changing the climate by changing America's diet. According to Sirota's May 2 column screeching about imminent "catastrophic climate change", "the fastest way to reduce climate change" simply "requires us all to eat fewer animal products." In cast that wasn't sufficiently clear, he added that "we are incinerating the planet and dooming future generations simply because too many of us like to eat cheeseburgers." Sirota's article on the left-wing site Salon included a photo of what appeared to be a bacon cheeseburger with an egg on top of it.

"That's right; essentially, if every fourth time someone craved, say, beef, chicken or cow milk they instead opted for a veggie burger, a bean burrito or water, we have a chance to halt the emergency," he added.

Sirito also claimed that "some conservatives will read this column and send me email smugly pledging to eat even more meat than they already do, just to make some incoherent point about freedom".

As opposed to Sirota's incoherent idiocy about eating a burger causing global warming! What if I ride my bike to get a burger, does that make it carbon-neutral? 

Of course, the best news regarding pollution in decades is....fracking and the increased use of natural gas. Not the "bean burrito" kind!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re: Give up burgers and stop climate change!

Well...does this mean I have to give up turkey burgers..? Because if I have to give up turkey burgers then I can't support this.

All kidding aside..the article simplifies what is a very complicated issue. Do some research on our industrial agriculture and then come back to the class. I have a feeling that you may feel somewhat diffferently.

Still ..there is only so much we can do isn't there? Myself..I tend to buy and support local agriculture and business first.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:

Accurate but impractical

Accurate? Definitely not. Liberals mock what they think is conservative's lack of awareness of the rest of the world...yet in global warming, the leftist myopia is laughable. Even if climate change is caused by man-made actions like carbon pollution, if all Americans stopped eating beef immediately  ( I rarely do, my belief is it is bad for one's health) ...it would make zero difference in climate. ZERO. The US is only a minute part of the planet!

This article is so scientifically idiotic,  it makes belief in creationism and dinosaurs roaming the earth with man,  look solid by comparison!

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Miscricket, I've done the research. Beef, especially locally grown grass fed beef, is far more environmentally frendly than, for example, the GMO corn or wheat that you get in the processed foods you'd find in a typical supermarket.

Ask a farmer about the kind of devastation to the local wildlife wrought by a thresher machine passing through the fields at harvest time. Sorry vegans, by eating the foods you eat you're supporting the mass killing of small mammals.

What's the best thing for the environment? Locally grown organic non-GMO vegetables and grass-fed meats. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

Miscricket, I've done the research. Beef, especially locally grown grass fed beef, is far more environmentally frendly than, for example, the GMO corn or wheat that you get in the processed foods you'd find in a typical supermarket.

Ask a farmer about the kind of devastation to the local wildlife wrought by a thresher machine passing through the fields at harvest time. Sorry vegans, by eating the foods you eat you're supporting the mass killing of small mammals.

What's the best thing for the environment? Locally grown organic non-GMO vegetables and grass-fed meats. 

Hi StalkingButler...I agree and Michael Pollan would agree with you also. I've read several books on the subject and the general consensus is by local and buy grass fed. I try to do both whenever possible. That processed food you talk about is what is damaging to not only the environment but to people's health. With the addition of hidden sugars in processed food ( such as high fructose corn syrup..etc) it's no wonder diseases like diabetes are at an all time high. The best rule of thumb for everyone's general well being is to limit or eliminate processed food.

FYI..those turkey burgers I jokingly referred to in my original reply come from a local family owned farm that is not afraid to tell their customers what the turkeys are being fed :-) I have never purchased a turkey burger from a grocery store.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Hi Miscricket - Agree with you completely.  Consuming the processed foods being provided to us by industrial agri-business with their high reliance on high fructose corn syrup and GMO grains along with hormone laden meats are a guarantee of eventual health problems. But that's a topic for a different day and forum.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Oh damn....guess I messed up environment this weekend with that tasty burger I had. Oopsie...

Oh...I did have a water with it so does that offset???

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

Oh damn....guess I messed up environment this weekend with that tasty burger I had. Oopsie...

Not if it was bottled :-))

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

Non bottled...right from the tap with ice....whew...: )

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

Non bottled...right from the tap with ice....whew...: )

Haha...you're safe...but wow..close call :-)

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

The solution of telling people to not eat meat is certainly foolish. If Americans can't even stop driving Hummers, there's no way they'll stop eating meat.

And I love a good steak.

But he is right that farm animals produce a tremendous amount of methane....

"If Americans can't even stop driving Hummers"

I believe we have. Didn't Hummer get shut down April 2010?

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Ah...whether the crop is being threshed for cow feed or human feed, it's still being threshed..

Perhaps you missed the "grass fed" part...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

Ah...whether the crop is being threshed for cow feed or human feed, it's still being threshed..

Perhaps you missed the "grass fed" part...

Try again. Your words:

"Ask a farmer about the kind of devastation to the local wildlife wrought by a thresher machine passing through the fields at harvest time. Sorry vegans, by eating the foods you eat you're supporting the mass killing of small mammals."

I trust you were not suggesting that vegans eat grass?

I know you wanted a gotcha-zing, but do pay attention to what I was responding to. They even put a grey box around it for you!

Ah...if ya only took your own advice....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

"Ya. so sorry that science disagrees with your redneck, bassackwards view of reality. According to denier conspiricist like you, we never actually landed on the moon because gov't doesn't do anything right.How about you keep your ignorance in dixie, and we'll keep creating cutting edge techonolgy.Nothing sadder than a redneck biting the hand that feeds it."

According to Milken rankings, true enough, Massachusetts is first among states  in the realm of "high tech".

Mass. better not look behind though, someone is gaining ....Maryland is second and the redneck dixie jerkwater of Virginia, a lofty sixth and climbing, with a bullet.

I am a "redneck" ?  LOL! You did wear out using 'wacko wingnut'....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

If we don't eat the cows, won't they just overpopulate and then the world will tip over?

23. This post has been removed.