GOP clarifies its view on rape/abortion

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Re: GOP clarifies its view on rape/abortion

In Response to GOP clarifies its view on rape/abortion:
    [QUOTE]KANSAS CITY, Mo. — In an effort to explain his stance on abortion, Representative Todd Akin, the Republican Senate nominee from Missouri, provoked ire across the political spectrum on Sunday by saying that in instances of what he called “legitimate rape,” women’s bodies somehow blocked an unwanted pregnancy. Asked in an interview on a St. Louis television station about his views on abortion, Mr. Akin, a six-term member of Congress who is backed by Tea Party conservatives, made it clear that his opposition to the practice was nearly absolute, even in instances of rape. “It seems to me, from what I understand from doctors, that’s really rare,” Mr. Akin said of pregnancies from rape. “If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down. But let’s assume that maybe that didn’t work or something: I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be of the rapist, and not attacking the child.” http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/20/us/politics/todd-akin-provokes-ire-with-legitimate-rape-comment.html?_r=1&hpw#commentsContainer
    Posted by UserName99[/QUOTE]

Just to get this straight, the new rule is whenever a member of a party or orgainization says something stupid it means that the entire party or organization believes in said stupidity. Do I have that right UserName99?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

In Response to Re: GOP clarifies its view on rape/abortion:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: GOP clarifies its view on rape/abortion : It's sad that it is their platform..however, having that as their platform isn't going to overturn Roe v Wade. It's here to stay. The left does all this hand-wringing over nothing. I get why...because most people are dumb, if you point out enough that the Right wants to get rid of abortion people will fall for it and believe it will happen. I get it. Smart politics. 
    Posted by WhichOnesPink2[/QUOTE]

Pointing out what the G.O.P. actually wants (even if it is unlikely) helps establish what they are all about so you can make an informed choice.  And there have been a myriad of attempts to restrict Roe v. Wade so it is not empty posturing.  They have a social agenda that they cannot walk away from, indeed they don't want to.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: GOP clarifies its view on rape/abortion : This was one person who said something. All that you have stated is what was already known. There was no "clarification" of the GOP position. This is typical of liberal politics. Take one scenario, blow it up, lie and pretend it means something it doesn't. Then have your President feign disgust at the depths the campaign is taking.
    Posted by Newtster[/QUOTE]

Where is the lie?  The social agenda of Republicans is clearly established in writing.  Akin has a stupid sense of biology, but he follows the established anti-abortion stance of his party. They want a fetus to have due process rights.  That means no exceptions for a ban of abortion (except perhaps life of the mother). So where's the lie? There is certainly spin on this. But no lies. That would be a lie. By you.

And the disgust for this clown is real and almost universal.  And to think he serves on the Science, Space and Technolgy Committee. But then, the Republicans find science often inconvenient for their views.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: GOP clarifies its view on rape/abortion : Funny but Repubs have had control of congress and white house in past and abortions are still legal. Go figure!

And...  Nationally there is not much room to maneuver, but the G.O.P. had led the charge in the series of laws aimed at restricting the right in the states.  Their social agenda is part of their soul.  How many pro-choice Repubs are there?  And people know their agenda.  Why else are they losing the vote of women by 15 points?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cookie-rojas. Show cookie-rojas's posts

Whoopi Goldberg said it wasn't "rape-rape".

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: GOP clarifies its view on rape/abortion : How many states are there that don't allow abortions?

Don't play cute.  You know the answer.  How many laws are proposed or passed that restrict the right of abortion in the states?  Lots.  Nationally Akin and Ryan tried to limit abortion rights to those that showed "forcible rape" as opposed to "rape' only.  There is no such distinction in the law: rape is rape.  All these efforts come from the G.O.P.  I think you choose to ignore these efforts because perhaps you don't agree with them.  And yet there they are...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: GOP clarifies its view on rape/abortion : Don't play cute.  You know the answer.  How many laws are proposed or passed that restrict the right of abortion in the states?  Lots.  Nationally Akin and Ryan tried to limit abortion rights to those that showed "forcible rape" as opposed to "rape' only.  There is no such distinction in the law: rape is rape.  All these efforts come from the G.O.P.  I think you choose to ignore these efforts because perhaps you don't agree with them.  And yet there they are...
    Posted by Reubenhop[/QUOTE]

Really?

Why don't you list some of the laws.

Maybe we can see if they a) really exist, and, if they do exist, b) really limit abortion.

I do know of one law, that protects a baby born live as the result of a botched abortion.  You know, the one Obama voted against.  Yep, that's right.  We have a president that voted FOR infanticide.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: GOP clarifies its view on rape/abortion : Really? Why don't you list some of the laws. Maybe we can see if they a) really exist, and, if they do exist, b) really limit abortion. I do know of one law, that protects a baby born live as the result of a botched abortion.  You know, the one Obama voted against.  Yep, that's right.  We have a president that voted FOR infanticide.
    Posted by skeeter20[/QUOTE]

Do your own research. 

You know full well there are laws being sought and passed annually on the subject.  Indeed, you support the efforts.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: GOP clarifies its view on rape/abortion : So, following your logic, SSM which is now part of the Democrat platform, can now be something that "all" Democrats agree with and should be held accountable for, correct?  So when 32 out of 32 states vote against SSM by an average of 64%, clearly displaying the fact that many, many Democrats are against and vote against it..........they are still accountable? When some Democrat politician says something really stupid about SSM (and you know it`s gonna happen), the media, the administration, and all of us here can roast the party, right? Going down a slippery slope Reub.  I think we need to admit that Akin is simply a freakin` idiot and does NOT speak for "all" Republicans or their agenda. 
    Posted by jmel[/QUOTE]

Yes, marriage equality is in the Democratic platform so the Democrats have it as one of their policies. Just like the G.O.P. has a ban on abortion in their platform so they own that issue too. If you don't like the policies of your chosen party, you should get out or endeavor to change them. Simple isn't it? No slippery slope. A party has a policy: you should accept they actually believe in it and want to accomplish it.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: GOP clarifies its view on rape/abortion : So every state allows abortions? THAT is why the GOP's "agenda" doesn't bother me. I don't lose sleep over things that don't matter. Abortion is not going away. Move on.

There is no "move on" for a lot of people.  You can ignore the G.O.P.s social agenda.  But it matters to a lot of people.  Again, try to explain that 15 point gap in the women's vote.  The issue resonates there.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: GOP clarifies its view on rape/abortion : The lie is "GOP clarifies" The GOP did nothing and if anything repudiated the guy's comments. Secondly it doesn't clarify anything since you already seem to know what the official stand is. It is a deliberate attempt to take the behavior of one person and paint the whole party with it. Probably a good political trick and one that Romney should wake up to.  Did you see your President lie in his news conference yesterday saying that no one accused Romney of being a felon?? He is really desperate. He has no record to run on other than killing bin Laden. To listen to him and all his surrogates, you'd think a Republican has been President for the past 4 years. 
    Posted by Newtster[/QUOTE]

"Clarifies" was not my word. The furror over this idiot's statements brought to light the actual G.O.P. anti-abortion position that goes beyond what most people accept. I knew about it to a degree. But I thought they accepted rape and incest limitations. The granting of due process rights to fetuses wouldn't allow for such an approach. Romney has accepted both views at different times...

Interesting you bring up Obama in this context...  Best change the subject from the scoial agenda of the G.O.P. and get back to the hating Obama theme.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: GOP clarifies its view on rape/abortion : I already explained why there is a gap. Most people are dumb and believe it when people like you say the GOP is going to try to get rid of abortion. They can't get rid of abortion. End of story. 

So women are more stupid then men on this issue.  Sure.  You go there.

And the G.O.P. is TRYING to get rid of abortion.  It's in their platform.  You don't think they are lying do you?

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to GOP clarifies its view on rape/abortion : Just to get this straight, the new rule is whenever a member of a party or orgainization says something stupid it means that the entire party or organization believes in said stupidity. Do I have that right UserName99?
    Posted by StalkingButler[/QUOTE]

His statement on rape was disgusting, and I wouldn't argue that the whole party shares his ignorance on the definition of rape.

However, this does bring to light the position of many, many elected republicans on the subject:  If a woman is inseminated during rape and gets pregnant, then she should be denied an abortion.  It is the position help by Paul Ryan, and depending when you ask Romney, he share the same position.

Hope this helps.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: GOP clarifies its view on rape/abortion : He should sound like a moron he is a moron. He doesn't speak for anyone but himself. Public outcry from all quarters of the Republican party since the comments were made about how outlandish and ridiculous they were. Not to mention a public statement from Romney for him to step down, also defunding from the Republican party. But the mentally challenged on this site still would like to connect  commentary from a nut to the Republican platform. The behavior of Gary Condit reflect on all Democrats? I don't think so. Elliot Spitzer? But consider you same people returned a drunk and a murderer to congress for 47 years. A desperate group because Obama cannot run on his record. The war on women? Because people object to paying taxes for birth control pills covered in Obamacare? Objection to using tax dollars to pay for free birth control pills for all is a war on women? The war on women is being waged by the Obama administration in the name of un-employment. Let women continue to pay the 15 bucks a month themselves since when the hell is birth control a health problem? Democrats have always said they want Republicans to stay out of their bedroom this is a chance to prove it. Since when the hell are women entitled to free birth control pills? The war on women amounts to a battle to give them free birth control. Don't make me laugh. I'll stay out of your bedroom you stay out of my wallet.
    Posted by ThatWasMe[/QUOTE]

Thou protesteth too much.  You probably didn't have to throw that variety of stuff at the wall. 

But please, keep this up.

But think about it.  Wouldn't it be better to let her keep the $15 of value to get her vote back, so she would again start to think of these issues that are important to you?  The Republican Establishment is spending vast multiples of that on her for the same purpose.  Well, maybe not for the same purpose, but to get her to think about your issues instead of this one.