GOPer outraged at the thought of SNAP recipients doing drugs, busted for coke; blames alcohol

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

Re: GOPer outraged at the thought of SNAP recipients doing drugs, busted for coke; blames alcohol

In response to andiejen's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Hansoribrother's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to movingtarget13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

At least he can head north and party with Ford.

Rep. Trey Radel pleaded guilty this morning to misdemeanor cocaine possession and was sentenced by a D.C. judge to one year's probation. "I've hit a bottom where I realize I need help," the first-term Republican congressman told the judge, acknowledging that he bought 3.5 grams of coke from an undercover agent late last month. Here's the Washington Post with more on how the Florida congressman got busted:

Radel and a friend of his met an undercover agent at a restaurant in Dupont Circle at 10 p.m. on Oct. 29, prosecutors said in court. Radel asked the friend and the agent to go with him to his home. The agent declined. Radel then purchased 3.5 grams of cocaine, estimated to be worth $250, from the agent in his car.

After the transaction was made, officers stormed the vehicle, and Radel dropped the drugs. He allegedly invited the officers back to his apartment to discuss the incident. When officers went to the home, they found a vial containing cocaine.

News of the charges surfaced yesterday evening, and Radel quickly expressed regret in a public statement. "I struggle with the disease of alcoholism, and this led to an extremely irresponsible choice," he said. "As the father of a young son and a husband to a loving wife, I need to get help so I can be a better man for both of them."

The freshman lawmaker has made no mention of the possibility of stepping down, and from the sounds of it won't be pressured to by his party's leaders. "Members of Congress should be held to the highest standards, and the alleged crime will be handled by the courts. Beyond that, this is between Rep. Radel, his family, and his constituents," said a spokesman for John Boehner. According to the AP, Radel is the first sitting congressman to be charged with a drug offense since 1982.

This post has been updated.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2013/11/20/trey_radel_gop_freshman_pleads_guilty_to_coke_possession.html

"This is a clear and obvious problem in our communities as nearly 30 states have introduced legislation to drug test for welfare programs," Hudson said. "We have a moral obligation to equip the states with the tools they need to discourage the use of illegal drugs."

Clearly. You might end up in congress.

[/QUOTE]

Could these guys be any freakin dumber?

Seriously................is there a moron-test attached to the paperwork needed to file to run for public office?

[/QUOTE]

I have been told that using cocaine does not tend to enhance one's decision making...Congressman or not. 

[/QUOTE]

I guess Obama must be on crack then?

[/QUOTE]

Nice to see your humor is still intact, Hansoribrother.

However, I have also been told the high from cocaine or crack lasts a very short time...certainly not from one's teens until one attains the age of 50. 

[/QUOTE]

Thank God or we'd all be doing it!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedwardnicky. Show jedwardnicky's posts

Re: GOPer outraged at the thought of SNAP recipients doing drugs, busted for coke; blames alcohol

Usually I post this when confronting the insane reasoning of the conservatives...But now it's more like this.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Hansoribrother's comment:
    [QUOTE]
    His statement is somewhat ambiguous in terms of "morality".

I just picked ONE statement. He's made others, and they all aren't about SNAP. Honestly I didn't expect this to be much of a point of contention... 

[/QUOTE]

So, let me get this straight: if you snort cocaine, you can't be against food stamps?

[/QUOTE]

It is hard to keep up with all the twists and turns of the liberal "hypocrisy" mantra. It is quite convoluted, but can be summarized as follows: 

Conservative bad, liberal good.

[/QUOTE]

That's about it.

hey, is it hypocritical for them to claim they are fixing the healthcare market when they end up destroying it?

[/QUOTE]

skeeter,

Do you think maybe, pretty please, we can get thru a thread or two without healthcare market/Obamacare/website disaster/etc. being yanked into the discussion?

[/QUOTE]

No.  You progressive idiots spent 100 years rubbing it into every conversation.  Now that you got your way, and it's a freakin' disaster, we are supposed to be quiet?

Follow the progressives into conversation changing diversions, while the crown jewel of progressivsm destroys our once great country?

Not a chance.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

jed,

You may be right about sedimentary (and great genes) but also a noticeable lack of gallantry for someone of that age.

I mean I did ask pretty please. What does it take to get an one hundred year old man to show some gallantry to a lady these days?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

jed,

You may be right about sedimentary (and great genes) but also a noticeable lack of gallantry for someone of that age.

I mean I did ask pretty please. What does it take to get an one hundred year old man to show some gallantry to a lady these days?

[/QUOTE]

And, I still have my whits about me!

I don't know why Jed's posts keep getting deleted, but I take it he thinks my brain is calisfied in some way.  That's an exampple of how progressive argue their point:  insult the person they are arguing with, ignore the argument itself.  You, Andie, never do that.

As far as Obamacare, it was an example.  SNAP is no different from the standpoint of goverment invovlement.  I have posted research repeatedly that shows that, as a nation, we are awash with inexpensive food.  There is little reason for SNAP at the level to which it has grown, particularly when there is prentiful cheap, and even free food in nearly every area outside of rural 'merica.

SNAP is simply breeding dependency (that's the whole point for progressives), outside of the very few that really need help.  Obamacare is about forcing dependency on the gubmint by people.

This is what happens when progressive government gets invovled.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

jed,

[/QUOTE]

I don't know why Jed's posts keep getting deleted, but I take it he thinks my brain is calisfied in some way.  That's an exampple of how progressive argue their point:  insult the person they are arguing with, ignore the argument itself.  You, Andie, never do that.

As far as Obamacare, it was an example.  SNAP is no different from the standpoint of goverment invovlement.  I have posted research repeatedly that shows that, as a nation, we are awash with inexpensive food.  There is little reason for SNAP at the level to which it has grown, particularly when there is prentiful cheap, and even free food in nearly every area outside of rural 'merica.

SNAP is simply breeding dependency (that's the whole point for progressives), outside of the very few that really need help.  Obamacare is about forcing dependency on the gubmint by people.

[/QUOTE]

skeeter,

You certainly have your whits about you and I appreciate the compliment in your post.

That said, I do have to disagree with you about the SNAP program. I could do it with competing statistics but for a change will do it with personal experience.

I have been a volunteer in the food pantries in the last two towns we have lived in...big surprise I know. That is a total of 9 years and running.

The clients of those pantries get 1-3 bags of groceries depending on the size of their family. The groceries consist of nearly all processed food...very little fresh produce, poultry, etc.

These people are there before we open because they are afraid we may run out of food before it is their turn. They stand outside in excessive heat, rain as well as brutal cold.

These pantries are well run in my opinion. However, the truth is over my 9 years, it is getting harder and harder to keep the shelves stocked, not just in these pantries, but all over MA. At the same time, the client list keeps growing.

Now MA has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country but yet there does exist an hunger problem in our state.

I know some people may not feel this competes with charts and grafts, etc., but I have gotton to know some of these people. Believe me skeeter, they do need the SNAP benefits as well as whatever extra help the food pantries can provide.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

jed,

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

skeeter,

You certainly have your whits about you and I appreciate the compliment in your post.

That said, I do have to disagree with you about the SNAP program. I could do it with competing statistics but for a change will do it with personal experience.

I have been a volunteer in the food pantries in the last two towns we have lived in...big surprise I know. That is a total of 9 years and running.

The clients of those pantries get 1-3 bags of groceries depending on the size of their family. The groceries consist of nearly all processed food...very little fresh produce, poultry, etc.

These people are there before we open because they are afraid we may run out of food before it is their turn. They stand outside in excessive heat, rain as well as brutal cold.

These pantries are well run in my opinion. However, the truth is over my 9 years, it is getting harder and harder to keep the shelves stocked, not just in these pantries, but all over MA. At the same time, the client list keeps growing.

Now MA has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country but yet there does exist an hunger problem in our state.

I know some people may not feel this competes with charts and grafts, etc., but I have gotton to know some of these people. Believe me skeeter, they do need the SNAP benefits as well as whatever extra help the food pantries can provide.  

[/QUOTE]

Glad you volunteer.  I do as well.  good thing to do.

Volunteerism and charity should come before we exert tax dollars to the problem, that's my view.

As far as the food supply: as a nation we consume more calories than recommended, we throw away something like 23% of our food supply.  Food Banks and soup kitchens are available in every major met area, so, I do not think SNAP needs to be as big as it is.  It is not the role of government to make taking care of your self more convienient.  To the extent charity does it, that's fine.  It's my time and money, as it is yours.  We are free to do so as we see fit.  But, people who need food need to get in gear and solve their own food supply problem at some point.  It is simply foolish to think it can't be done.  A little tough love is needed here for many.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

skeeter,

A couple of points.

Not everyone can "get it into gear" as you said. That is what programs like SNAP are for. They are to prevent people from falling through the cracks. Not every adult, not every parent is able to support themselves without some help. I would rather have a little less so those people and their children do not ever go hungry in this country.

You and I both volunteer in food pantries. In mine, most of the food is processed food rather then fresh food. Food I would term empty calories. You note that in our country we consume 23% too many calories. Whatever the figure, we consume too many empty calories and too few healthy calories. That contributes to the obesity problem in the U.S. as well as other problems. With SNAP, people are free to make healthy choices for their families.

Lord forgive me, but healthier food, healthier families, lower health costs. (Yes, I brought health care back into the discussion.). Happier conservatives and progressives. We can all go on a hay ride together!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[Peasant receives gift from Robin Hood, then is decked by one of his 'merry men']

"Is that really necessary?"

"He says, 'yes sir, he's afraid it is..."

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedwardnicky. Show jedwardnicky's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

jed,

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think it's telling, that on this particular thread, when a post of mine had been deleted, the first and only person to mention its deletion, in an off handed sort of a way, was the very same person I mentiond in the deleted post. That's just really weird. Odd, in fact. Hmmmmmm. Thou dost protest too much? Returning to the scene of a crime? Guilty conscience?

Here's basically what I said. I quoted Skeeter as saying that we "progressive idiots spent 100 years rubbing it into every conversation. " I noted how, unless he's over 100 years old, it would be difficult to make that statement. I suggested that he might be a zombie, or a vampire. But then I also posted that, since he's as dumb as a rock, he might actually be a rock. Sedentiary specifically.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Oh, and BTW, this congressman is an addict, pure and simple.  Addicted to alcohol and cocaine.  Both are drugs.

And yet, he'll never serve a day in prison like anyone else would in a state with mandatory minimums like Florida.

These are the people who still want to keep the failed 'war on drugs' going to help the corrupt private prison industry...

...and deny govt help for underprivileged addicts who get caught doing the same thing he was.

Let's hope he finds some "clarity" in rehab along with some empathy.