ISO-New England Requests Voluntary Energy Conservation During Heat Wave

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

ISO-New England Requests Voluntary Energy Conservation During Heat Wave

http://www.masslive.com/business-news/index.ssf/2013/07/power_grid_requests_voluntary_conservati.html

HOLYOKE — Extremely hot temperatures and high levels of humidity expected this week in New England could drive regional electricity use to near-record levels, according to a news release issued Tuesday afternoon by ISO New England.

“As a precautionary method we’re asking customers to voluntarily limit electricity use to keep the grid in balance,” said ISO-NE spokeswoman Lacey Ryan.

Although power system resources are currently adequate, supplies are likely to become tight and ISO New England Inc., operator of the region's bulk electric power system, is asking consumers to voluntarily conserve electricity as a prudent, precautionary measure to help keep supply and demand in balance during this heat wave.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: ISO-New England Requests Voluntary Energy Conservation During Heat Wave

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

I limit electricity use to save money, but they're asking a lot....     94F, 55% humidity, 75% dew point....   with virtually no wind.

The alternative is rolling blackouts.  Not ideal, to say the least.

Note, however, this applies most saliently to the largest consumers of electricity: office buildings, industrial, etc.  It takes a lot of electricity to keep offices and computer equipment cool, for instance.

I posted this by way of saying that the market responds to environmental conditions as appropriate to the situation.   The next step from asking nicely is asking urgently...then demanding outright...then forcing one's hand.  

Personally, I just think it's important to understand that the 'freedom' to wantonly waste electricity and over-consume resources isn't much of a freedom at all.

[Aside: Barclay's just got thwacked and fined by regulators over their helping the brazen manipulation of energy prices out west from 2006-2008.]

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

I limit electricity use to save money, but they're asking a lot....     94F, 55% humidity, 75% dew point....   with virtually no wind.

Same here.  Spending money you don't have to is unwise.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:

How can that be?

According to the wingnuts we already have a robust and sound infrastructure and they won't pay for all those unnecessay improvements the libruls want to foist on the public.

Just throw another lump of coal on the turbine-fire and be done with it.

Ah, liberals have declared a war on coal. 

Do you know what is burned to generate electricity in this country?

Welcome to the unintended consequences of a green energy plan!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

I always conserve energy. But one thing I will not conserve on in this heat is A/C. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

"Personally, I just think it's important to understand that the 'freedom' to wantonly waste electricity and over-consume resources isn't much of a freedom at all. "

That must be the public sector bureaucrat in you, cant wait to punish those greedy consumers...

Quick, get that 'alternative green energy' online, fast....only 87 bazillion windmills needed...assuming you get a breeze....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

[QUOTE]

The alternative is rolling blackouts.  Not ideal, to say the least.

No, not at all.

I don't know man....     I spent way too many summers around here in apartments without AC before finally buying a house. Can't work, can't sleep in these temperatures even with fans blazing.

I'm rather inclined to try my luck and see if any blackouts do start before turning the AC off....    

[/QUOTE]

Same here, WDYWN.

Of course I can move household to the Senior Center for x number hours of the day. Got a robo call to that effect.  My town has opened nothing by way of cooling shelters.

Town's first suggestion was go to the home of a friend with A/C. Brilliant!!!

We are staying on one level or the other so not cooling whole home. Have 2 zone heating and cooling so that does preserve use of electricity. 

Also using fans to pump up the "feel" of the cental A/C.

Basement is also cool on its own like most basements.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Sadly..shutting of the air conditioners in my house is not an option..lol I am outnumbered on that front. However, we conserve wherever else we can. In my house the TV is not on often..and when no one is in a room..the light is out. I also unplug most small appliances when not in use...something I've always done regardless of whether we are trying to save energy.

" Above all..be the heroine in your life..not the victim" Nora Ephron

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

How interesting. Are those that tell us how we are going to get anihilated by global warming/climate change and want a dumb-a55 carbon tax refusing to turn off their air conditioners?

Typical.

How do you like fossil-fueled electricity now?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to Hansoribrother's comment:

How interesting. Are those that tell us how we are going to get anihilated by global warming/climate change and want a dumb-a55 carbon tax refusing to turn off their air conditioners?

Typical.

: )

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to Hansoribrother's comment:

[QUOTE]

Typical.

Wow you caught everyone in such daming hypocrisy. Bravo.

[/QUOTE]

stay cool, stay cool...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

If 97% of global warming scientists shut off their AC this week to save the polar bears, then I will become a believer in the Church of Global Warming...

After all, the NY Times seriously debated in 2012 whether the government  should confiscate all AC units :

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2012/06/21/should-air-conditioning-go-global-or-be-rationed-away/air-conditioning-is-a-luxury-the-world-cant-afford

"Is air-conditioning a modern-day right like clean water or the Internet, or an unsustainable luxury that we should give up or ration?"

"A Luxury the World Can’t Afford"

"Cooling of America's buildings and vehicles has the annual global-warming impact of almost half a billion metric tons of carbon dioxide. (Three-fourths of that is attributable to fossil fuels, the rest to refrigerants.) We consume more energy for residential air-conditioning than do all other countries combined, but that's about to change. Home-cooling demand worldwide is projected to increase tenfold before 2050, stimulated by rising incomes and rising temperatures in already-warm regions. Such staggering growth will swamp out efficiency gains, outstrip renewable energy and accelerate warming.

We must break this feedback loop, but what does one say to someone living in one of the tropical nations where much of the increase in cooling demand is expected? Surely not that Americans are addicted to air-conditioning and can’t give it up, but we expect Southeast Asians to get by without air-conditioners because they're used to the heat.

Here's little we can say to the developing world about its pursuit of air-conditioning until we end our own society's dependence on it."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:

How can that be?

According to the wingnuts we already have a robust and sound infrastructure and they won't pay for all those unnecessay improvements the libruls want to foist on the public.

Just throw another lump of coal on the turbine-fire and be done with it.

Unfortunately coal plants are being shuttered like the plant in Salem.  We are putting all our eggs in one basket with escalating drive to convert to gas.  Oil plants; especially the older ones that burn bunker C are being put on notice by the EPA that new MATS regulations will vitually force these plants to be shuttered because most of these older boilers can't be converted to gas.

Nukes are still dead in the water because of over reguation and now the ISO-NE cartel issues the conserve notice to build a need for Hydro Quebecs clean energy that will place a new scare on northern NH to bail out southern NE states that want clean energy.

Part of the conserve notice is to address peak demand; so clearly the answer for consumers is to want until evening to make use of discretionary energy use; washing clothes, operating dryers, using electric stoves etc.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

"Note, however, this applies most saliently to the largest consumers of electricity: office buildings, industrial, etc.  It takes a lot of electricity to keep offices and computer equipment cool, for instance."

(Reading is fundamental.)

Individual, residential consumers are mostly small potatoes where bulk electricity is concerned, particularly in the northeast.  At worst, there might be localized outages, a blown transformer, etc.  Plus, we only go through this for a few weeks per year...compared to other regions which are much heavier users.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to massmoderateJoe's comment:

Unfortunately coal plants are being shuttered like the plant in Salem.  We are putting all our eggs in one basket with escalating drive to convert to gas.  Oil plants; especially the older ones that burn bunker C are being put on notice by the EPA that new MATS regulations will vitually force these plants to be shuttered because most of these older boilers can't be converted to gas.

Part of the conserve notice is to address peak demand; so clearly the answer for consumers is to want until evening to make use of discretionary energy use; washing clothes, operating dryers, using electric stoves etc.

The Salem Harbor plant also burned oil, but it is terribly inefficient and outdated, and the new owners didn't want to pay to upgrade it.  Its neighbors also had a few negative things to say about the new owners (compared with NEPCo, who at least tried to work with residents and address their concerns).  This doesn't even touch on the property itself, which is highly contaminated.

[As I've mentioned before, I spent four summers washing the coal dust off of the boats in Beverly and Salem harbors.  So, I'm very familiar with that plant and its effects.  It was often filthy work, but paid for by the power company...and often necessary due exactly to peak load situations like now.  The Salem waters used to be just as polluted, if not worse, than Boston Harbor, btw.]

Yet, the peak demand comment is accurate but also just plain common sense...like not leaving windows open in the winter and thus watching energy (and $$) virtually drift away.