Obama Admin Blocks OTC morning after pill.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

Obama Admin Blocks OTC morning after pill.

Thank goodness we've protected 11 year olds from accidentally buying a $50 pill.

---------------

Block of OTC morning-after pill sparks outrage

WASHINGTON (AP) - It’s the morning after and the controversy over how to sell emergency contraception still looms.

The Obama administration’s top health official stopped plans Wednesday to let the Plan B morning-after pill move onto drugstore shelves next to the condoms.

Overruling scientists at the Food and Drug Administration, Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius decided that young girls shouldn’t be able to buy the pill on their own, saying she was worried about confusing 11-year-olds.

For now, Plan B will stay behind pharmacy counters, available without a prescription only to those 17 and older who can prove their age.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/dec/8/block-of-otc-morning-after-pill-sparks-outrage/

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8ter2008. Show sk8ter2008's posts

Re: Obama Admin Blocks OTC morning after pill.

ah election cycle politics!! He didn't want this used against him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhichOnesPink. Show WhichOnesPink's posts

In Response to Re: Obama Admin Blocks OTC morning after pill.:
    [QUOTE]IMO it's the correct decision.
    Posted by airborne-rgr[/QUOTE]

Willing to bet if Bush Admin blocked it then it would be the wrong decision. Funny how that works.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhichOnesPink. Show WhichOnesPink's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Obama Admin Blocks OTC morning after pill. : Hey numbnuts, Bush did block it. The decision merely left in place the same restrictions of Bush. Funny how that works.

And yet you didn't support it then. Funny how that works... ; )

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KittyDuke. Show KittyDuke's posts

Pity it wasn't available to HIS mother....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhichOnesPink. Show WhichOnesPink's posts

[QUOTE]Pity it wasn't available to HIS mother....
    Posted by KittyDuke[/QUOTE]

Airborne's mother?

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhichOnesPink. Show WhichOnesPink's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Obama Admin Blocks OTC morning after pill. : I don't remember it being an issue or anyone asking my opinion then. Amazing how you can write your own narrative absent of any actual facts. Quite the alternate reality ya got going on.  Funny how that works.

Hahaha...you take bullsh!te to a new level. Congrats. Again, I'll allow you the last word since you'll just keep this going and going otherwise. Go nuts!

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KittyDuke. Show KittyDuke's posts

Airborne's mother? 

Was already an abortion that survived.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

Its a prudent decision.  Those pills are very powerful and serving them up on the shelf next to condoms is inappropriate.  If a girl under 17 needs it then she should need to consult her parents and doctors.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rushfan2112. Show Rushfan2112's posts

[QUOTE]IMO it's the correct decision.

I agree it's the correct decision.  I also think that this should be available under doctor supervision.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Obama Admin Blocks OTC morning after pill. : And don't hand out rubbers without parental knowledge and/or consent either to minors. Jesus man, I'm on the fence about cough drops
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

When you say "hand out" do you mean in the context of schools giving away free condoms?  I don't have a problem with stores selling rubbers without regulation.  After all the condom sold today could prevent the purchase of morning after pills tomorrow. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I haven't followed this issue closely enough, however...

...the science seems to indicate that it's perfectly safe, and it's always a shame whenever politics trumps science...

...which is what appears to have happened in this case.  If that's true, then it may have been a mistake.

Reserving further comment for now.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rushfan2112. Show Rushfan2112's posts

[QUOTE]I haven't followed this issue closely enough, however... ...the science seems to indicate that it's perfectly safe, and it's  always a shame whenever politics trumps science... ...which is what appears to have happened in this case.  If that's true, then it may have been a mistake. Reserving further comment for now.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

I agree that it's shameful when politics gets in the way of science, and especially medicine.  But this is not perfectly safe.  There are risks involved that can be quite severe.  This should be used with medical supervision.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rushfan2112. Show Rushfan2112's posts

[QUOTE]I don't agree with the decision. At most, if we are concerned about people mistakenly buying it - somehow - I think it would suffice to put a blatant warning on the packaging: This is going to make you very ill for a couple days at the least even if you do follow instructions. Every OTC medication is harmful if misused. Acetomenophan is hard on your liver, Ibuprofen hard on your stomach, and Naproxen Sodium significantly worse.  Etc etc etc. And how precisely are we worried about confusing 11 year olds? Walking around with $50? But more importantly, the entire reason we have the FDA and allow it to impose such rigorous requirements on drug manufacturers is to determine that medications are safe and effective. This is someone in a different agency overruling them, and the explanation doesn't make sense.
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]

We disagree on this.  This should not be OTC ever.  Severe complications may arise from taking this medicine, it should only be used under doctor supervision.  In my view this is a matter of safety.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

Severe complications of a morning after pill Vs. Severe complications of an abortion Vs. Severe complications of a teen giving birth.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from beKool. Show beKool's posts

[QUOTE]ah election cycle politics!! He didn't want this used against him.
    Posted by sk8ter2008[/QUOTE]

Like Bush huh ?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rushfan2112. Show Rushfan2112's posts

[QUOTE]Severe complications of a morning after pill Vs. Severe complications of an abortion Vs. Severe complications of a teen giving birth.
    Posted by UserName99[/QUOTE]

Two of the three scenarios that you just described generally occur under medical supervision.  See the difference?

I think this should be an option, but one that is chosen after consultation with a doctor.  And never should it be over-the-counter.

25. This post has been removed.