Oh, Fox, you never fail to dissapoint.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re: Oh, Fox, you never fail to dissapoint.

Nevermind that Santa Claus is loosely based on a variety of things including St. Nikolaus ( a greek) and Odin ( a pagan God).

I think the funniest part of this story is that this woman from FOX actually thinks that children under 8 years old are watching FOX news.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Scholar: Megyn Kelly's Santa race claim is nonsense 

Megyn Kelly is pictured. | AP Photo

Fox host Megyn Kelly insisted both Santa Claus and Jesus were white. | AP Photo

By  JOSE DELREAL | 12/13/13 4:40 PM EST

Take it from an expert: Santa Claus isn’t real — and questions about his racial identity “don’t make any sense.”

“I would say the question over Santa Claus being white doesn’t make any sense,” says Harvard Professor Laura Nasrallah. “First of all, that’s a really odd claim because Santa doesn’t exist - but don’t tell my three kids.”

Nasrallah, an expert on the New Testament and early Christianity, spoke in response to an uproar after Fox host Megyn Kelly insisted on her show Wednesday night that both Santa Claus and Jesus were white.

Nasrallah noted that although contemporary depictions of Santa Claus might often look a certain way, Santa as a character is divorced from the actual Saint Nicholas, who lived in the fourth century.'

(Also on POLITICO: Megyn Kelly: Jesus and Santa were white)

“Saint Nicholas is born into a family that probably considered itself to be ethnically Greek but in an area of the world that we now call Turkey,” she explains. “Historically, you can’t import a category like ‘white’ into fourth century Asia minor.”

Nasrallah stresses that the historical Saint Nicholas and the contemporary Santa Claus character are not the same thing; and because the mythical Santa isn’t real, he doesn’t have a race.

“Megyn Kelly is part of a long tradition of fighting over Santa’s legacy but she’s not standing on much historical ground,” said Nasrallah. “When people write about the historical Jesus, for example, he ends up looking like the people who are writing. We hope that Jesus looks a lot like us.”

The Santa Claus drama, while a bit bizarre, hasn’t all been fruitless; Nasrallah says that the controversial comments have served to highlight a broader historical point about the way ancient figures are depicted today.

“In some ways, what she said gave us a good ground for a national conversation about how we understand race as a function in Christianity and whether we think that great historical figures look just like us,” she said. “And if so, what does that say about who we are?” 

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/12/santa-claus-race-claim-megyn-kelly-101152.html#ixzz2nUTtJ6Es

“I would say the question over Santa Claus being white doesn’t make any sense,” says Harvard Professor Laura Nasrallah. “First of all, that’s a really odd claim because Santa doesn’t exist - but don’t tell my three kids.”

Here is where we all maybe can agree.

Santa Claus does not exist BUT do not tell the children in our lives. 

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/12/santa-claus-race-claim-megyn-kelly-101152.html

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

What the fk? Just checked into this thread.

Megan Fox? is santa clause white? WThF.

Merry Christmas all (the Santa image is a coca cola thing).

Get a grip for the new year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to BilltheKat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Did your face resemble your avatar when you read thru this thread, Bill?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

In response to andiejen's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I okay. ..ugh Just barely 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cookie-rojas. Show cookie-rojas's posts

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Megyn Kelly wants you to know three things: (a) she was just kidding, (b) no one can take a joke, and (c) she's a victim

[/QUOTE]

hottest on the airwaves by far

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Are you kidding? I could start a thread every other day on MSNBC and others alike never failing to disappoint.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cookie-rojas. Show cookie-rojas's posts

In response to macnh1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

MSNBC Melissa Harris-Perry

“I want to talk today about a controversial word, It’s a word that’s been with us for years. And like it or not, it’s indelibly printed in the pages of America history. A word that was originally intended as a derogatory term, meant to shame and divide and demean. The word was conceived by a group of wealthy white men who needed a way to put themselves above and apart from a black man — to render him inferior and unequal and diminish his accomplishments.”.....the RACIST word is OBAMACARE.....

if you missed it, this was a good one by that crazy woman...Harris-Perry.

In any contest..Megyn Kelley beats Melissa Harris (hyphen) Perry every time....brains, looks, and ratings!!!!

[/QUOTE]

Harris-Perry - most racist on any network, more-so than Sharpton because she's supposed to be well-educated.

IMO, she must stay up nights thinking up this shiz-nit, or her writers do........ 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Santa is definitely white.

The minorities are the 'elves' who slave away for him for no pension and little benefits.

i.e., the true meaning of xmas....

Christ was black, though.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Megyn Kelly got suckered into making a comment and PC sectarians had a field. But Megyn Kelly's perspective on Santa is historically accurate, for a fictional character whose image has been developed over the past one thousand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus

Origins

Pre-modern representations of the gift-giver from church history and folklore, notably St Nicholas and Sinterklaas, merged with the English character Father Christmas to create the character known to Americans and the rest of the English-speaking world as Santa Claus.

In the English and later British colonies of North America, and later in the United States, British and Dutch versions of the gift-giver merged further. For example, in Washington Irving's History of New York (1809), Sinterklaas was Americanized into "Santa Claus" (a name first used in the American press in 1773)[25] but lost his bishop's apparel, and was at first pictured as a thick-bellied Dutch sailor with a pipe in a green winter coat. Irving’s book was a lampoon of the Dutch culture of New York, and much of this portrait is his joking invention.

Part of our American shared experience is that the amalgamation of modern day Santa Claus stems from Germanic, Danish and British eurocentric backgrounds and developed from the US's great melting pot.  The history for the past 200 years is what it is.  Not to say that it doesn't change over the next 200 hundreds, but Santa's persona and image is a commercial success as depicted by Clement Moore and by Coca Cola.

That being said, Reuben Navarette had a good op ed in CNN today.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/16/opinion/navarrette-santa-good-and-bad/index.html

Meanwhile, back in the cultural war, it's a silly waste of time for Americans to argue over whether Santa is white or black. What matters is his philosophy on gift-giving.

Besides, this whole argument is positively 20th century! In 2010, Latinos made up 16% of the U.S. population, and they are expected to account for as much as 30% by 2050.

Everyone knows that, at least in the United States and Latin America, Santa is Latino. So, this year, skip the cookies, and leave out some tamales.

So if some kid want's to identify with a Santa who looks more like him I say that's OK, the history is what it is, but today's Christmas Season is for today's celebrents.

To which I say,........Feliz Navidad!!!!!!!!!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to massmoderateJoe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Megyn Kelly got suckered into making a comment

[/QUOTE]

Yeah. The poor dear.

Those evil libruls forced her to reveal questionable racial stances by reassuring kids that Santa and Jesus are white.

Then they forced her to lie about it and say it wasn't a gaffe, it was actually the least humorous joke in mankind.

(They're white, get it?)

But there's an R next to the name. So here you are. Calling her a martyr.

[/QUOTE]

If she's revealed questionable racial stances then I guess the entire US is racist since every Santa that I've seen at malls, etc. has been white. Every movie Santa has been white. Every holiday commercial that has a Santa has been white. Every tv show has had a white Santa. Every holiday cartoon has a white Santa.

We want to wring our hands over what she said, but without using the words she said, we've (as a country) basically been saying the same thing for decades by the number of white Santa's all over the country, movies, commercials, etc.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah. The poor dear.

Those evil libruls forced her to reveal questionable racial stances by reassuring kids that Santa and Jesus are white.

Then they forced her to lie about it and say it wasn't a gaffe, it was actually the least humorous joke in mankind.

(They're white, get it?)

[/QUOTE]

If she's revealed questionable racial stances then I guess the entire US is racist since every Santa that I've seen at malls, etc. has been white. Every movie Santa has been white. Every holiday commercial that has a Santa has been white. Every tv show has had a white Santa. Every holiday cartoon has a white Santa.

We want to wring our hands over what she said, but without using the words she said, we've (as a country) basically been saying the same thing for decades by the number of white Santa's all over the country, movies, commercials, etc.

[/QUOTE]

The left doesn't have a lot to hang their hats on these days. Any chance, and I mean any chance to point the finger at a conservative and call them racist, they will. Saying Santa is white? Yep, you are one flaming racist. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to cookie-rojas' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Megyn Kelly wants you to know three things: (a) she was just kidding, (b) no one can take a joke, and (c) she's a victim

[/QUOTE]

hottest on the airwaves by far

[/QUOTE]

Now there's a standard that every newsperson should be judged by.

*/sarcasm off/*

[/QUOTE]

You beat me to it, ACC. Darn it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to newman09's comment:

The left doesn't have a lot to hang their hats on these days.

Tell me more about the Selfie that Destroyed America.

[/QUOTE]

Nahhh, Obama is taking care of that for you.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good, even though it was "just barely". We cannot affford to lose such a valuable liberal/progresive member on this forum. Kind of selfish there I know.

I was talking to my computer as I read then posted. 

It was decided that no, I am not losing it. I was just exhibiting the passion of my youth out loud. So says my husband. 

Also he stay calmed which got me more worked up. Response. "My staying calm was my way of keeping you from geting  more worked up".  It backfired. But it tis the thought the counts.

Just like Xmas presents where you swing for the fences but they bomb.

I hate when that happens. You can always see it in the giftees eyes. That is why I always include a gift receipt now. Better to give then receive...except when it bombs.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah. The poor dear.

(They're white, get it?)

[/QUOTE]

So you were lazy focused on one point instead of getting into the larger issues.  

On Santa as I said she historically is correct; this ficticious guy has been a white guy for hundreds of years, a by-product of the euro-centric development of our great melting pot. Now if a black kid, hispanic kid or aisian kid wants to view Santa in his own image good for him, I have no problem with it and if a kid of color want's to be Santa in a school play I say good for him let him, but that doesn't change the history or development of the character.

Jesus now that another question, the Israelites or Palestinian Jews were fair skinned unless we're talking about Sammy Davis jr.     ;-}

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good, even though it was "just barely". We cannot affford to lose such a valuable liberal/progresive member on this forum. Kind of selfish there I know.

I was talking to my computer as I read then posted. 

It was decided that no, I am not losing it. I was just exhibiting the passion of my youth out loud. So says my husband. 

Also he stay calmed which got me more worked up. Response. "My staying calm was my way of keeping you from geting  more worked up".  It backfired. But it tis the thought the counts.

Just like Xmas presents where you swing for the fences but they bomb.

I hate when that happens. You can always see it in the giftees eyes. That is why I always include a gift receipt now. Better to give then receive...except when it bombs.

[/QUOTE]

Well thanks, thats very kind of you. However I have voted republican in the past, if I like the cut of their jib. Haven't seem much of that lately and their BDC constituants don't make me feel comfortable, but Ill keep watching for some light. If the last election is any forshadowing of the next election, I'll maybe just go progressive again.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

(clipped)

1881, Thomas Nast

(clipped)

1863, Thomas Nast

5/8/1886: First sales of "coca-cola", Jacob's Pharmacy, Alabama.

1923: White Rock Beverages uses "Santa" images to sell mineral water

1923: White Rock Beverages uses "Santa" images to sell ginger ale.

1930s: Coca-cola uses images of Santa.

"Blimey, I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition!"

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

creepy chair thing

Not the comfy chair...dam yu

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedwardnicky. Show jedwardnicky's posts

[QUOTE]

File:MerryOldSanta.jpg

1881, Thomas Nast

File:Santa Claus 1863 Harpers.png

1863, Thomas Nast

5/8/1886: First sales of "coca-cola", Jacob's Pharmacy, Alabama.

1923: White Rock Beverages uses "Santa" images to sell mineral water

1923: White Rock Beverages uses "Santa" images to sell ginger ale.

1930s: Coca-cola uses images of Santa.

[/QUOTE]