Paul Ryan Address: Convention Speech Built On Demonstrably Misleading Assertions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from beKool. Show beKool's posts

Paul Ryan Address: Convention Speech Built On Demonstrably Misleading Assertions

TAMPA, Fla. -- Paul Ryan pledgedWednesday that if he and his running mate Mitt Romney were elected president, they would usher in an ethic of responsibility. The Wisconsin congressman and GOP vice presidential candidate repeatedly chided President Barack Obama for blaming the jobs and housing crises on his predecessor, saying that his habit of "forever shifting blame to the last administration, is getting old. The man assumed office almost four years ago -– isn’t it about time he assumed responsibility?"

Ryan then noted that Obama, while campaigning for president, promised that a GM plant in Wisconsin would not shut down. "That plant didn’t last another year. It is locked up and empty to this day. And that’s how it is in so many towns today, where the recovery that was promised is nowhere in sight," Ryan said.

Except Obama didn't promise that. And the plant closed in December 2008 -- while George W. Bush was president.

It was just one of several striking and demonstrably misleading elements of Ryan's much-anticipated acceptance speech. And it comes just days after Romney pollster Neil Newhouse warned, defending the campaign's demonstrably false ads claiming Obama removed work requirements from welfare, "We're not going to let our campaign be dictated by fact-checkers."

Ryan, for his part, slammed the president for not supporting a deficit commission report without mentioning that he himself had voted against it, helping to kill it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/30/paul-ryan-address_n_1841819.html?1346300990&ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BetheKoolaid. Show BetheKoolaid's posts

Re: Paul Ryan Address: Convention Speech Built On Demonstrably Misleading Assertions

"And the plant closed in December 2008 -- while George W. Bush was president."

The plant was under what is called a temporary suspension of production in 2008, but was not closed until Obama was in office.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BetheKoolaid. Show BetheKoolaid's posts

Re: Paul Ryan Address: Convention Speech Built On Demonstrably Misleading Assertions

Obama and his henchmen thought Wisconsin was already in his column, so they decided for politcial reasons to let the plant close...the decisions made about the "bailout"were all based on politics...the auto "bailout" was as crooked as it gets...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to Paul Ryan Address: Convention Speech Built On Demonstrably Misleading Assertions:

How surprising we'd get some bullshiite from the leftwingers at the Huffington Post!

When Obama forced a negotiated bankrupty on GM, Obama had the power to keep that plant open just like he had the power to screw the 20,000 non-union workers out of their pensions. When he had the choice and power to keep the plant open it got closed anyway.

It's a mistake to think that - either Bush under the initial bailouts or Obama under the restructuring could have exerter personal preferences for one plant over another.  The bankruptcy courts held most of the sway.

Without the bailouts, GM and Chrysler would have closed their doors entirely and cost a million jobs or more.  Ryan apparently forgot that fact, if he ever understood it at all, without offering any feasible alternative of his own.

Of course, this is apart from Romney's view that "they should go bankrupt" and ensuing flip flops on the situation, never mind the many jobs lost under Bain's various leveraged buyouts and private equity shenanigans.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

So Ryan is against bailouts but blames Obama for the closing of a plant that closed before he took office.

Is this one of those double negatives?  If Ryan had his way, the entire auto manufacturing sector would have collapsed, but he blames Obama for not keeping a plant open that had already closed.

And the republicans reject evolution because there are holes in the theory.

Are republicans expecting all voters to suspend logical reasoning?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

Condi and Martinez were excellent.  I guess the Dems can counter with Pelosi and Wasserman-Schulz next week!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

In response to Paul Ryan Address: Convention Speech Built On Demonstrably Misleading Assertions:

"And the plant closed in December 2008 -- while George W. Bush was president."

The plant was under what is called a temporary suspension of production in 2008, but was not closed until Obama was in office.

The plant ended operations on 12/23/2008.  Obama wasn't even officially president until almost a month later.  But what is interesting about this lie is the duplicity required to even use it as an attack.  The GOP has made much hay over Obama's spending, especially with "government motors"  even though Ryan supported the auto bailouts, but attacks Obama over those same bailouts, and attacks him for a GM closing a plant that happened under Bush's watch.  So the question is what would have needed to happen to save the plant?  Well obviously money...government money...which Ryan opposes (now).  I mean this isn't dishonesty, or misleading, its a flat out lie. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

Oh and his bit about the stimulus...that he opposed with one side of his mouth...while asking for funds for his district with the other side of his mouth?  Brilliant.  He blasts Obama over the debt commision, even though he was one of the most influential GOP members involved AND HE VOTED AGAINST THE FINAL REPORT THAT BLASTED OBAMA FOR NOT IMPLEMENTING! 

Ryan is a joke and by lying on national TV on issues that were easily and immediately pointed out as falsehoods he has shown he has no credibility. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Fact Check

The Globe Ryan Speech fact Check actually did a better job at more of the story.

Globe did admit that the plant didn't fullly close until April until 2009, wasn't this after the Obama stimulus plan was rushed through the Congress? 

Then.....

Ryan did vote against parts of the commisions recommendations but then he did provide alternatives.  Where are POTUS's ideas or budgetr for that matter?
    Anyone else having problems with the new software here?  I continue to get messages that I'm using banned words but I'm not, there appear to be some phantom hypens (actual character) that casue problems.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

"Is that a piece of p00p you are slinging Mr. Hypocrite??"

You seem confused. Ryan went on a verbal rampage against Obama; trouble is, it was full of distortions and outright lies.

If the above statement that I made were false, then yes, I would be "slinging" a piece of p00p. However, since what I'm saying is true and its truth is reflected in the record, I am doing what you like to call "calling a spade a spade."

Or in this thing, a festering pile of ____ a festering pile of ____.

Joe: Their software may also be better. You can guess I tried to spell out the _____ by replacing the "i" with "!" as per usual, but, it caught it. Then it caught any other modifications I attempted to the big mean nono word.

I thought I was only pointing out the better use of facts in the Globe fact check.

Politics works at the edges and VPs have their job to do.  I look forward to your open and objective rebuttal of put them in chains Biden.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

How surprising we'd get some bullshiite from the leftwingers at the Huffington Post!

When Obama forced a negotiated bankrupty on GM, Obama had the power to keep that plant open just like he had the power to screw the 20,000 non-union workers out of their pensions. When he had the choice and power to keep the plant open it got closed anyway.

It's a mistake to think that - either Bush under the initial bailouts or Obamaunder the restructuring could have exerter personal preferences for one plant over another.  The bankruptcy courts held most of the sway.

Without the bailouts, GM and Chrysler would have closed their doors entirely and cost a million jobs or more.  Ryan apparently forgot that fact, if he ever understood it at all, without offering any feasible alternative of his own.

Of course, this is apart from Romney's view that "they should go bankrupt" and ensuing flip flops on the situation, never mind the many jobs lost under Bain's various leveraged buyouts and private equity shenanigans.

[/QUOTE]\

"Without the bailouts, GM and Chrysler would have closed their doors entirely and cost a million jobs or more."

They should have closed their doors.  And, do you really think a million jobs would have been lost?  Consider that the demand for cars woudl have simply shifted to other car companies, creating more jobs, lower cost and better built cars.

Instead we are left with an american car company disproportionately owned by the unions, producing expensive, poorly designed and constructed cars.

that's the economics of it, not these tired and false liberal talking points.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

What's with the goalposts, Joe?

In another thread that accurately quoted Huckabee, you bravely declared "I know you pulled your story snippet from Slate.  So please save all your prochoice outrage for another time." 

Well guess what. I know you pulled your Biden Chains story from Fox. So please save all your dishonest conservative hypocrisy detection for another time. Go feed some animals or something...

Just so we are clear:  Who was Joe Biden referring to when he said " They're gonna put y'all back in chains!" ?

Huh?  Who?  Help me out here, because I'm notq uite understanding Uncle Joe.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

"Are republicans expecting all voters to suspend logical reasoning?"

Just 51% or so.... 

Right.  The fact checkers have been shown to be in substantial error, yet you cling to the lies of the left.