Photojournalist who snapped photo of 3-way "selfie" is ashamed of you

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Re: Photojournalist who snapped photo of 3-way

To Schmidt - I'll live

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Roberto Schmidt, the AFP photojournalist who snapped a photo of President Obama:

The story behind "that selfie"

(AFP Photo / Roberto Schmidt)

US President Barack Obama and British Prime Minister David Cameron pose for a picture with Denmark's Prime Minister Helle Thorning Schmidt next to US First Lady Michelle Obama during the memorial service for South African former president Nelson Mandela in Johannesburg. (AFP Photo / Roberto Schmidt)

Cliquez pour la version française

By Roberto Schmidt

So here’s the photo, my photo, which quickly lit up the world’s social networks and news websites. The “selfie” of three world leaders who, during South Africa’s farewell to Nelson Mandela, were messing about like kids instead of behaving with the mournful gravitas one might expect.

In general on this blog, photojournalists tell the story behind a picture they’ve taken. I’ve done this for images from Pakistan, and India, where I am based. And here I am again, but this time the picture comes from a stadium in Soweto, and shows people taking a photo of themselves. I guess it’s a sign of our times that somehow this image seemed to get more attention than the event itself. Go figure.

selfie-combo_m.jpg

Anyway, I arrived in South Africa with several other AFP journalists to cover the farewell and funeral ceremonies for Nelson Mandela. We were in the Soccer City stadium in Soweto, under a driving rain. I’d been there since the crack of dawn and when I took this picture, the memorial ceremony had already been going on for more than two hours.

From the podium, Obama had just qualified Mandela as a “giant of history who moved a nation towards justice." After his stirring eulogy, America’s first black president sat about 150 metres across from where I was set up. He was surrounded by other foreign dignitaries and I decided to follow his movements with the help of my 600 mm x 2 telephoto lens.

So Obama took his place amid these leaders who’d gathered from all corners of the globe. Among them was British Prime Minister David Cameron, as well as a woman who I wasn’t able to immediately identify. I later learned it was the Danish Prime Minister Helle Thorning Schmidt. I’m a German-Colombian based in India, so I don’t feel too bad I didn’t recognize her! At the time, I thought it must have been one of Obama’s many staffers.

Anyway, suddenly this woman pulled out her mobile phone and took a photo of herself smiling with Cameron and the US president. I captured the scene reflexively. All around me in the stadium, South Africans were dancing, singing and laughing to honour their departed leader. It was more like a carnival atmosphere, not at all morbid. The ceremony had already gone on for two hours and would last another two. The atmosphere was totally relaxed – I didn’t see anything shocking in my viewfinder, president of the US or not. We are in Africa.

I later read on social media that Michelle Obama seemed to be rather peeved on seeing the Danish prime minister take the picture. But photos can lie. In reality, just a few seconds earlier the first lady was herself joking with those around her, Cameron and Schmidt included. Her stern look was captured by chance.

I took these photos totally spontaneously, without thinking about what impact they might have. At the time, I thought the world leaders were simply acting like human beings, like me and you. I doubt anyone could have remained totally stony faced for the duration of the ceremony, while tens of thousands of people were celebrating in the stadium. For me, the behaviour of these leaders in snapping a selfie seems perfectly natural. I see nothing to complain about, and probably would have done the same in their place. The AFP team worked hard to display the reaction that South African people had for the passing of someone they consider as a father. We moved about 500 pictures, trying to portray their true feelings, and this seemingly trivial image seems to have eclipsed much of this collective work.

It was interesting to see politicians in a human light because usually when we see them it is in such a controlled environment. Maybe this would not be such an issue if we, as the press, would have more access to dignitaries and be able to show they are human as the rest of us.

I confess too that it makes me a little sad we are so obsessed with day-to-day trivialities, instead of things of true importance.

During Mandela's memorial service in Johannesburg. (AFP Photo / Roberto Schmidt)

During Mandela's memorial service in Johannesburg. (AFP Photo / Roberto Schmidt)

http://blogs.afp.com/correspondent/?post/Selfie

No doubt he's in on the conspiracy to help defend Obama from the people already dedicated to hate him...  

Perhaps the mind control leeches from space have infiltrated my head too, and are forcing me to post this?

We await word from CLC on the implications this has for public sectors, nanny states, progressives, government take-overs, and the long glittering chain of governmental deities....  

And perhaps Joe can admit that yes, there really was a festive atmosphere, and no, Michelle was not mad about the photo. So much for the outrage, which was later maturely back-pedaled into "haha, I was just trolling you"..  

[/QUOTE]

I suggest you review the 7 photo string on CNN

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/12/10/obama-takes-selfie-with-british-danish-prime-ministers/?hpt=hp_c2

Yes there was a festive atmosphere to celebrate Mandela's life.  Hence people in the stadium holding up Mandela signs and photo's.  But it would appear that the selfie three weren't celbrating Mnadela's life; they weren't paying attention to  only each other and were only focused on themselves and others.  

The 7th photo is priceless.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

I think President Obama slept on the hotel room couch last night.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to massmoderateJoe's comment:

[QUOTE]

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/12/10/obama-takes-selfie-with-british-danish-prime-ministers/?hpt=hp_c2

Yes there was a festive atmosphere to celebrate Mandela's life.  Hence people in the stadium holding up Mandela signs and photo's.  But it would appear that the selfie three weren't celbrating Mnadela's life; they weren't paying attention to  only each other and were only focused on themselves and others.  

[/QUOTE]

I suggest you read the first hand account of the guy who snapped the photo ... as opposed to the scenario you created in your imagination from behind a computer screen 7500 miles away.

Anyway, suddenly this woman pulled out her mobile phone and took a photo of herself smiling with Cameron and the US president. I captured the scene reflexively. All around me in the stadium, South Africans were dancing, singing and laughing to honour their departed leader. It was more like a carnival atmosphere, not at all morbid. The ceremony had already gone on for two hours and would last another two. The atmosphere was totally relaxed – I didn’t see anything shocking in my viewfinder, president of the US or not. We are in Africa.

I later read on social media that Michelle Obama seemed to be rather peeved on seeing the Danish prime minister take the picture. But photos can lie. In reality, just a few seconds earlier the first lady was herself joking with those around her, Cameron and Schmidt included. Her stern look was captured by chance.

[/QUOTE]

So did you look at the CNN 7 photo string?

I don't think I'm the one making things up here.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You may be right.  Michelle comes off as the jeaolous type, and has a very difficult time hiding her mood.  Then again, many married women get openly jealous when they see another woman being flirtatious with their husband.

The picture of her with the French first lady was another example.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to UserName9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You may be right.  Michelle comes off as the jeaolous type, and has a very difficult time hiding her mood.  Then again, many married women get openly jealous when they see another woman being flirtatious with their husband.

[/QUOTE]

Clearly she's insecure

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

SB,

I highly doubt it. And of course this could be another SB joke. If not then...

This is a married couple of long standing. A black marrried couple from humble beginnings who both managed to get into and graduate from Harvard Law School.

Then, despite wild odds, they ended up in the WH. And they represented our country at the memorial of this great human being who was a major inspiration for both of them.

Other U.S. dignitaries wee there of course but they were top dog.

They were the perfect people to represent the U.S. at Nelson Mandela's memorial.

Given our twisted history with South Africa, etc., I was extra proud to have the Obamas represent us at the memorial.

I am also so pleased when they show their human side in public. That is not a facade of a marriage. That is a real marriage of equals. It makes me happy just watching them work together in the biggest spotlight in the world.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to UserName9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Clearly she's insecure

[/QUOTE]

Clearly she is a human being. Michele Obama has always said she has a different temperment then her husband.

He gets criticized for being too guarded. Now one snap and people want to read all sorts of things into that photo. Give me a break.

Ever look at the photos your friends and family take of you. Those snaps do not always reflect what you are reallly feeling and thinking. Not by a long shot.

I LOVE wearing sunglasses. They help me hide my true reaction to certain situations.

Jackie O. was very smart to wear large ones as often as possible.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

It means nothing.  David Cameron isn't sitting next to the Danish PM in the last photo either, so clearly some time passed between the time the orginal picture was taken and the last one you seem to think is meaningful in some way.  Could there have been some uncomfortable moments?  Sure.  But the pictures themselves don't establish or prove that.  We can't even tell if the photos were taken in minutes of each other or longer, because clearly the other people in the frames are changing, so people are moving about.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I suggest you read the first hand account of the guy who snapped the photo ... as opposed to the scenario you created in your imagination from behind a computer screen 7500 miles away.

[/QUOTE]

How the heck does 1/500th of a second exposure tell anyone anything about someone's frame of mind ... halfway through a four hour memorial service?

You're seriously going to say that you can decipher a person's emotional state from a two-dimensional snapshot ... and at the same time just ignore the first hand account of the guy at the stadium observing these people for the entire four hours.

I guess if the first lady doesn't wear a perpetual smile for the entire four hours then the only other alternative is she must be angry, no other possibilities are allowed.

Seriously, now your just being ridiculous.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, I read Roberto Schmidt's account.

He went on to deny that Michelle was annoyed in fact he saw her smiling and engaged.  Well then we he shot a whole string of photos why didn't he show us the ones with Michelle smiling.

I think the whole cat fight wife annoyed thing is funny, but that's reading way to much into the pictures.

But the photos from my view demonstate a simple lack of decorum while the 3 were self centered.

Did you look at the CNN 7 photos?   I read what you asked.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

"Maybe because he didn't expect paranoid delusional types to read so much into them?"

That would be very naive and dumb of him then. Especially given the history of reading into things by the Left and the Right when it comes to politics/political figures. Let's all stop acting as if this is something new. It's happened in the past and it will happen again and again and again and again and again and again and again....by BOTH sides.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I still can't believe this was a thing.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I can't believe the Left (yes I know you're obviously not part of the left, you're a mod) is unable to admit if it was a sitting Repub president that they wouldn't think it was classless. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

[QUOTE]

He went on to deny that Michelle was annoyed in fact he saw her smiling and engaged.  Well then we he shot a whole string of photos why didn't he show us the ones with Michelle smiling.

I think the whole cat fight wife annoyed thing is funny, but that's reading way to much into the pictures.

But the photos from my view demonstate a simple lack of decorum while the 3 were self centered.

Yes, I looked at the photos a number of times still doesn't change the fact that you profess to be able to pass judgement on a persons frame of mind from a two-dimensional, 1/500th sec exposure.

As for where are the photos of Michelle smiling, I'll do you one better.

How about those same three people seated together, talking and smiling ON VIDEO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eme8M4FWo7M

That's what some people on these boards refer to as a  BOOM!!!

[/QUOTE]

Far from a boom moment, almost a backfire.

Not the video I would have chosen if I was you.  Text tied to link on the liveleak page it takes you to.

Michelle Obama got jealous and made Obama switch seats at Nelson Mandela Memorial president Obama, Cameron take a selfie nelson mandela funeral
    Read more at http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=1a6_1386717149#wv3cLcZcKm7jR74D.99

Video briefly shows the president and first lady acknowedging introduction and first lady on waves after urging from POTUS.  No interaction with Denamrk PM.  First lady quickly returns to serious face mode.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[]

[]

I can't believe the Left (yes I know you're obviously not part of the left, you're a mod) is unable to admit if it was a sitting Repub president that they wouldn't think it was classless. 

[/QUOTE]

Well, I consider myself left of center if one averaged up all my positions and I certainly wouldn't care about Bush participating in a 3-way selfie.

What I care(d) about is tax cuts during two wars, one of which was a needless war of choice, and an unfunded perscription plan being passed by the same people slamming Obamacare for future costs they estimate.

What I care(d) about is privacy-destroying policies like the patriot act that Bush passed and Obama ramped up. About the NSA. About the stupid stuipd TSA. About waterboarding. Etc.

Frankly, I think a lot of disagreements here could be mitigated if we all just started saying "these particular liberals/conservatives" or "some liberals/conservatives, such as this guy, say X."

[/QUOTE]

Right of center moderate here.  The left would have been all over Bush for doing such a thing.  Or Romney who got castigated for his binders of women reference.

I agree with you're economic tax policy points.

On privacy we differ a little;

Patriot act OK, 

NSA metadata OK,

TSA I have major problems

Jack Bauer measures when needed (yeah I know tough call here) like waterboarding OK

On nannystate issues like ACA and lying about it in order to win a slim election; I'm really PO'd.  I really want less government.

Until people see a benefit to compromise then there will continue to be disagreements. With both parties concerned about 2014 it appears that a budget deal is in process.  If the strong conservative and strong liberals cause this to be a problem, then they are the ones who should be targetted for removal in 2014.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, I looked at the photos a number of times still doesn't change the fact that you profess to be able to pass judgement on a persons frame of mind from a two-dimensional, 1/500th sec exposure.

As for where are the photos of Michelle smiling, I'll do you one better.

How about those same three people seated together, talking and smiling ON VIDEO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eme8M4FWo7M

That's what some people on these boards refer to as a  BOOM!!!

[/QUOTE]

Far from a boom moment, almost a backfire.

Not the video I would have chosen if I was you.  Text tied to link on the liveleak page it takes you to.

Michelle Obama got jealous and made Obama switch seats at Nelson Mandela Memorial president Obama, Cameron take a selfie nelson mandela funeral
    Read more at http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=1a6_1386717149#wv3cLcZcKm7jR74D.99

Video briefly shows the president and first lady acknowedging introduction and first lady on waves after urging from POTUS.  No interaction with Denamrk PM.  First lady quickly returns to serious face mode.

[/QUOTE]

Oh my freaking word.

Now you've gone from being able to access emotions between 3 people from a snapshot to now not being able to access the emotion of those same 3 people in a 30 sec clip.

You went from ignoring the firsthand account of the actual photog who took the pictures to now relying on an anonymous blurb accompanying a video to access the interaction for you.

I give up, you win.

You will just constantly flip/flop like a mackrel, grasping at any contradicting ort available regardless if you rejected that same theory earlier.

You can now declare yourself the winner because I just plain refuse to keep chasing you down your own little rabbithole.

[/QUOTE]

Look, we viewed the same images and draw different conclusions I'm OK with that.

I wasn't trying to access (sic) anyones emotions, although I did assess them like you from a far.  Just like Schmidt did from a far with his 600mm x2 telphoto lens.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Look, we viewed the same images and draw different conclusions I'm OK with that.

[/QUOTE]

People aware that they are losing the chess match are always happy to play to a stalemate, it's the best possible outcome given their tenuous board position.

[/QUOTE]

Stalemate?... you earlier conceded.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I still wouldn't care, mod or not.

But let's find out when a repub pres gets elected and attends a memorial service for a late civil rights leader in a foreign country with other heads of state. 

Suffice to say no single party has a monopoly on either faux outrage or conceptions of 'classy' behavior.

Ted Cruz had a hissy fit and walked out on the service.  Uncouth?  Perhaps.  Again, I could care less.  (I thought it was classy just for him to show up given that he and mandela are on opposite ideological grounds.)