SCOTUS gives many voting rights power back to the states. Thought?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Re: SCOTUS gives many voting rights power back to the states. Thought?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to Sistersledge's comment:

And this is WITH the Voting Rights Act intact...before it was gutted this week!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Wait....did Scalia really mean to say that voting is a racial entitlement????

This man also believes that racial predjudice no longer exists in the real world...the world where the rest of us reside.

I thought Citizens United was the worst SCOTUS decision I would ever see. Then came the VRA decion.

We have survived horrible Justices before. So, I guess we will survive Scalia as well as this Court.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

It's pretty sad we are more worried about a TV performer who made racial remarks decades  ago than a sitting SCOTUS Justice who also has a history of making racial sensititive remarks btw his latest was made not more than 6 months ago ..... so much for the New and Kinder GOP

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

Brought to you by the Blue Street Journal

Thats just BS.  The only part of VRA effected is Section 4, which singles out some states and counties.  If you buy that thats voting rights for all Americans, I got this bridge.  It doesn't effect voting rights for ANY Americans.

And where was the outrage when the court liberals voted to give big corp to power to blow up your house, nay, entire neighborhood?

Or when Elena voted in favor of the Prop 8 appeal?

Got ya ....3:)

nice self-portrait.

I definitely find you amusing.  But, sad to say, I'm not laughing with you, I'm laughing at you.

That isn't a very Christian thing to say to one of God's Children

Just speaking truth to power.

-or-

Just showing righteous anger to someone who lies like the serpent.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to andiejen's comment:

[QUOTE]

This man also believes that racial predjudice no longer exists in the real world...the world where the rest of us reside.

I thought Citizens United was the worst SCOTUS decision I would ever see. Then came the VRA decion.

We have survived horrible Justices before. So, I guess we will survive Scalia as well as this Court.

[/QUOTE]

Well, no, he didn't say that.  Even the posted quote doesn't support that assertion.  But keep twisting the facts to fit your worldview, and everything will look just fine.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Thats just BS.  The only part of VRA effected is Section 4, which singles out some states and counties.  If you buy that thats voting rights for all Americans, I got this bridge.  It doesn't effect voting rights for ANY Americans.

And where was the outrage when the court liberals voted to give big corp to power to blow up your house, nay, entire neighborhood?

nice self-portrait.

I definitely find you amusing.  But, sad to say, I'm not laughing with you, I'm laughing at you.

-or-

skeeter I want to amend my evil ways .. please help me .... please show me where I lied but if you can't show me where I was lying I want an apology

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

nice self-portrait.

-or-

skeeter I want to amend my evil ways .. please help me .... please show me where I lied but if you can't show me where I was lying I want an apology

You are free to select that I am speaking truth to power.

-but-

These five supreme court justices did not vote against voting rights for all Americans.  that's just a lie.

Clear enough?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

skeeter that ain't good enough ... point out where I lied or apologize

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

nice self-portrait.

-or-

-but-

These five supreme court justices did not vote against voting rights for all Americans.  that's just a lie.

Clear enough?

you edited your original post ..... that isn't kosher

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to chiefhowie's comment:

[QUOTE]

Your Choice

Peoples republic of America 

United states of America 

Right now we are leaning to PROA

chiefhowie,

Despite many of us taking issue with certain SCOTUS rulings etc., the posters of the forum seem to be of one mind with that the US is our country and we are all proud to be Americans....with one glaring exception among the posters. In the civil rights/Nam era they often told people like that, if you do not like it here, get out. Go home, go anywhere else. Here, in the forums, for several reasons which vary per poster, he is engaged, kicked around, etc..  BDC has suspended him (twice) as well as deactivated one of his accounts...but we have not ignored him or told him to go away. The political forums are but a tiny microcasm of America. However our ability to do what we do here without fear is part of what the US symbolizes.

Democracy may not be perfect but show me a better system of governance. The US is not perfect country but show me a "better" country.

Leaning on the edge of PROA >Watching you > Cia , Irs , Ipa, Nsa and others.  

We are not the greatest country just one of the others. 

I asked my G Son 18 yrs , he said "we are just like all the others"

[/QUOTE]

chiefhowie,

Okay. How about you offer your bullet list of the other countries constitute "one of the others"?

And with due respect to your 18 year old son, the US is not just like all the other countries on the earth. Not even close

Maybe you should talk to him about counties like North Korea, Iran, Dufar, Libya, Pakistan, etc. Even at the young age of 18 he should know better, As his father/role model, you know better than that, chief howie.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, no, he didn't say that.  Even the posted quote doesn't support that assertion.  But keep twisting the facts to fit your worldview, and everything will look just fine.

[/QUOTE]

skeeter,

Oh, but skeeter, the posted quote does support the paraphrase. And my world view is based on my experience, my schooling, my profession, what comes out of people's mouths, in this case one of our nine Justices among other things.

This week I asked myself what on earth is SCOTUS thinking. They made it more difficult for millions of people to vote by gutting the 1965 Voting Rights Act. But they also overturned the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act.

So, the high court is NOT about individual liberties, or it would not tell states to go ahead and pass more restrictive voting laws. If the big issue were liberty, the justices would have told ALL the state to permit same-sex marriage.

This divided court seems far more interested in preserving states's rights than individual rights. Our most precious right as citizens is voting. 

The paramount issue for this court was to make sure that if a state wants to forbid same-day voting registration or change the hours or location of polling booths or force voters to jump through complicated hoops to vote...the state is now permitted to do so, skeeter.

ps...btw, noticed in other posts you have gone back to "I have got a bridge" cliche. Guess you are really stuck on that one.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

I think that both the DOMA and VRA decisions were good ones in the sense that they both took certain powers away from the federal government and returned it to the states where, under the Constitution, they belong. We can argue the social implications of these decisions but from a constitutuonal perspective the decisions are both consistent and well reasoned.

--

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

And this is WITH the Voting Rights Act intact...before it was gutted this week!!!

[/QUOTE]

If you could name ONE portion the ruling that will effect lines at polling places, it would be nice.  I'm not gonna try to explain to you that only section 4 was changed anymore.  It just ain't working.

[/QUOTE]

Gregin,

Section 4 is/was the pre-clearance clause of the VRA. That is/was the very heart of the Act.

States that were singled out for "bad behavior" now had to have changes pre-approved by the DOJ or by the federal courts.

Now, they do not have to do that anymore. So, if a state, including those that used to require pre-clearance wants to forbid same-day voting registration OR change the hours or location of polling booths OR force voters to jump through complicated hoops to vote, the state is NOW permitted to do so.

So let us get real here . Republican-led states have been passing restrictive voting laws and gerrymandering districts because they did not want more black and Hispanic voters to vote Democratic.

They have been screwing aroung with our most precious right as citizens-voting-for political reasons.

As Justice Ruth Ginsburg said in her dissent, doing away with the heavily used voters rights law is equilvalent to dispensing with an umbrella because you have been dry underneath it.

Gregin, you mentioned earlier a problem I had was I did not want to be adversarial on the boards. I do not believe the above rises to that level, but, obviously we both have very strong views on this. Different views.  Doing my best to be respectful of your views without backing off my views.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Your Choice

Peoples republic of America 

United states of America 

Right now we are leaning to PROA

chiefhowie,

Despite many of us taking issue with certain SCOTUS rulings etc., the posters of the forum seem to be of one mind with that the US is our country and we are all proud to be Americans....with one glaring exception among the posters. In the civil rights/Nam era they often told people like that, if you do not like it here, get out. Go home, go anywhere else. Here, in the forums, for several reasons which vary per poster, he is engaged, kicked around, etc..  BDC has suspended him (twice) as well as deactivated one of his accounts...but we have not ignored him or told him to go away. The political forums are but a tiny microcasm of America. However our ability to do what we do here without fear is part of what the US symbolizes.

Democracy may not be perfect but show me a better system of governance. The US is not perfect country but show me a "better" country.

Leaning on the edge of PROA >Watching you > Cia , Irs , Ipa, Nsa and others.  

We are not the greatest country just one of the others. 

I asked my G Son 18 yrs , he said "we are just like all the others"

[/QUOTE]

chiefhowie,

Okay. How about you offer your bullet list of the other countries constitute "one of the others"?

And with due respect to your 18 year old son, the US is not just like all the other countries on the earth. Not even close

Maybe you should talk to him about counties like North Korea, Iran, Dufar, Libya, Pakistan, etc. Even at the young age of 18 he should know better, As his father/role model, you know better than that, chief howie.

[/QUOTE]

There is no role model mode anymore.

He was speaking about EURO and the USA.

Tech rules the world. I saw a couple very young girls sittting on a bench in their yard, with (talking/playing) cell phones . While their father kicked a soccor Ball around.

[/QUOTE]

chiefhowie,

Regardless of what other homes do, in you home, in your family, there is no reason you cannot still be a role model to your 18 year old son.

I know this from personal experience. Both as a daughter who was told it does not matter what goes on in other homes, and on the flip side.

It is your choice. 18 can certainly be a hard age to get their attention if you do not have it already. However, you can try. If you fail, at least you tried. The real failure is if you do not try IMO.

I know you have 6 children. You and your wife have to spread the attention to where it is needed as well as to your own lives and your own relationship. But if you think those 6 are not paying attention to how you live, what you say, you would be surprised. Even if they do not say a word to you now, they are sponges. They are not fully grown adults at 18, for instance. He may think he is. But we older people know he is not. 

You are the head of your family. You and your wife still matter no matter how old your children are.

Just saying. Try to remember when you were 18. Probably thought you were smarter then you really were. I know I did. So did my spouse. We learned as we grew up. Thank goodness I did not do anything really stupid.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

I think that both the DOMA and VRA decisions were good ones in the sense that they both took certain powers away from the federal government and returned it to the states where, under the Constitution, they belong. We can argue the social implications of these decisions but from a constitutuonal perspective the decisions are both consistent and well reasoned.

--

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SB,

Pretty clear I am horrified, as our many, by the VRA decision. (See above) Here the high court showed it was not about individual liberties or it would not have told states they could go ahead and pass more restictive voting laws.

However, this same deeply divided court, overturned DOMA. Yet if the big issue was liberty, they would have told all the states to permit same-sex marriage.

This court does seem more interested in preserving states's rights than individual rights.

A lot of ways to interpret these 2 rulings. The court decided on the narrowest issue possible in DOMA.  In the VRA ruling, thmajority are living in a bubble the rest of us do not live in. The dissent, wriiten by Ginsburg, goes right to the point abouit why this is such a bad decision.

I was alive during the Civil Rights movement. Too young to participate but not too young to watch it unfold on our TV.  I did not think I would have to see it fought all over again in my life. But, I believe that is a very good possibility. 

Thought it got ugly in 2000 in Gore v. Bush in Florida. That may seem like a cakewalk compared to what is coming now. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

nice self-portrait.

-or-

-but-

Clear enough?

you edited your original post ..... that isn't kosher

[/QUOTE]

I don't think I edited my original post, but keep trying.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

skeeter that ain't good enough ... point out where I lied or apologize

It is absolutely good enough. Several people, including myself have pointed out the mistruth, thaqt they voted against voting rights for all Americans.  that simply is not true.

So, either you are ignorant on such matters, or lying.

Now apologize.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

skeeter,

Oh, but skeeter, the posted quote does support the paraphrase. And my world view is based on my experience, my schooling, my profession, what comes out of people's mouths, in this case one of our nine Justices among other things.

This week I asked myself what on earth is SCOTUS thinking. They made it more difficult for millions of people to vote by gutting the 1965 Voting Rights Act. But they also overturned the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act.

So, the high court is NOT about individual liberties, or it would not tell states to go ahead and pass more restrictive voting laws. If the big issue were liberty, the justices would have told ALL the state to permit same-sex marriage.

This divided court seems far more interested in preserving states's rights than individual rights. Our most precious right as citizens is voting. 

The paramount issue for this court was to make sure that if a state wants to forbid same-day voting registration or change the hours or location of polling booths or force voters to jump through complicated hoops to vote...the state is now permitted to do so, skeeter.

ps...btw, noticed in other posts you have gone back to "I have got a bridge" cliche. Guess you are really stuck on that one.

[/QUOTE]

No it doesn't. you are twisting his words.  He is not saying voting is a racial entitlement. That is intellectually dishonest.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

skeeter,

[/QUOTE]

No it doesn't. you are twisting his words.  He is not saying voting is a racial entitlement. That is intellectually dishonest.

[/QUOTE]

skeeter,

Sorry skeeter but his words mean just that. There is a big difference between twisting someone's words and carefully reading them and getting the inference.

Also, you should look at what he asked during oral arguments. 

It is what it is skeeter. I wish it were not. After all, this man is one of our nine members of the highest court. This does not bode well for civil rights cases in the pipeline.

We can agree to disagree, skeeter. But I stand by my assertion. I also resent being called intellually dishonest. I did not accuse you of the same thing here. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

skeeter,

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

skeeter,

Sorry skeeter but his words mean just that. There is a big difference between twisting someone's words and carefully reading them and getting the inference.

It is what it is skeeter. I wish it were not. After all, this man is one of our nine members of the highest court. This does not bode well for civil rights cases in the pipeline.

We can agree to disagree, skeeter. But I stand by my assertion. I also resent being called intellually dishonest. I did not accuse you of the same thing here. 

[/QUOTE]

skeeter always resorts to name calling when the facts are against him .....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

skeeter,

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

skeeter,

[/QUOTE]

Scalia isn't even quoted properly.  Someone reading this quote would think the whole statement is his qoute, but it is not.  Words were added to the front end.  This is fundamentally dishonest.  I am actually surprised that you don't agree.

As far as the data:  Where's this data from, and what does it have to do with anything?  Can you aggregate just two minorities and get a fair result? 

My suspicion is that the data reflects the failure of Democrats to be effective government managers.  Look at it this way:  Most black and hispanic voting is urban.  most urban areas are run by democrats.  Democrats don't staff the polling locations properly, as witnessed by the constant kerfuffles over keeping the polling places open past the official closing times due to long lines.

Suburban and rural areas tend to be more conservative, and better run.  Hence, the polling places are orgaized and properly staffed.

There, problem solved.  You wait time disparity:  it's the Democrats fault.