Senate Democrats pushed for IRS Tea Party snooping before criticizing it

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Senate Democrats pushed for IRS Tea Party snooping before criticizing it

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/brian-walsh/2013/05/14/senate-democrats-pushed-for-irs-tea-party-snooping-before-criticizing-it

From Max Baucus to Chuck Schumer to Jeanne Shaheen, key Senate Democrats publicly pressured the IRS to target groups that held differing political views and who, in their view, had the temerity to engage in the political process. The IRS listened to them and acted. And other Democrat senators like Kay Hagan and Mark Pryor said and did nothing about it.

Perhaps their strategy of distraction may work in the short-term with a Washington press corps pulled in a multitude of different directions, but Senate Democrats have a serious political problem that will haunt them as they head into an already-difficult election cycle. When these Senate Finance Committee hearings come to pass it would be a remarkable act of bravery and candor for one of these IRS bureaucrats to appropriately ask Max Baucus and others why they're not sitting at the witness tables next to them, instead of continuing in their charade of faux outrage.

Because Senate Democrats today have just as much explaining to do as the IRS.

As the New York Times reported back in 2010 :

With growing scrutiny of the role of tax-exempt groups in political campaigns, Congressional Republicans are pushing back against Democrats by warning about the possible misuse of the Internal Revenue Service to audit conservative groups….And the Republicans are also upset about an I.R.S. review requested by Senator Max Baucus, the Montana Democrat who leads the Finance Committee, into the political activities of tax-exempt groups. Such a review threatens to "chill the legitimate exercise of First Amendment rights," wrote two Republican senators, Orrin G. Hatch of Utah and Jon Kyl of Arizona, in a letter sent to the I.R.S. on Wednesday. ... Democrats dismissed the Republicans' complaints as groundless.

You read that correctly.

The same Democratic chairman of the Senate Finance Committee who this week is calling for hearings into IRS activities, specifically called on the IRS to engage in that very conduct back in 2010. And he wasn't the only one. Just last year, a group of seven Senate Democrats sent another letter to the IRS urging them to similarly investigate these outside political organizations.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Re: Senate Democrats pushed for IRS Tea Party snooping before criticizing it

Seems like that might be a problem.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

The loyal left have no boundaries when it comes to defending the indefensible party rule!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to tvoter's comment:

The loyal left have no boundaries when it comes to defending the indefensible party rule!

You mean like Alberto Gonzales?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

yes

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

He is grasping.

Gonzales talked about the previosu admin discussing investigating a reporter and tapping due to suspicion of leaking material.

It was a reporter not a blanket tapping system over an entire media outlet; and they decided it was NOT a good idea.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Former Attorney General Alberto Gonzales said Wednesday that the Bush administration once considered issuing the type of subpoena that the Justice Department issued against the Associated Press, but ultimately opted against it.

“There was at least one occasion in which we were engaged in a very serious leak investigation and we had to make some very difficult choices about whether or not to move forward, going after the reporters in order to try to figure out where the source of the leak is,” he said on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe. “And sometimes, the department finds itself in a situation where they have exhausted all means and they have to make a very hard determination as to whether or not they want to subpoena the reporter, if they want to subpoena the reporter’s notes. So yes, I’ve had that situation. In the instance that I have in mind, we ultimately decided not to move forward.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/05/alberto-gonzales-subpoena-leak-91405.html#ixzz2TOYsujTb

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to bigdog2's comment:

In response to nhsteven's comment:

You`ve mentioned Gonzales more than once.  Do you have a link?  A comparison?

And you think I  should educate myself? For the umpteenth time, go check the links I provided in the other thread. Oh wait, don't bother.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

I was wondering about the low tea-party activity level before the last election. There's always a reason...

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

He is grasping.

Gonzales talked about the previosu admin discussing investigating a reporter and tapping due to suspicion of leaking material.

It was a reporter not a blanket tapping system over an entire media outlet; and they decided it was NOT a good idea.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Former Attorney General Alberto Gonzales said Wednesday that the Bush administration once considered issuing the type of subpoena that the Justice Department issued against the Associated Press, but ultimately opted against it.

“There was at least one occasion in which we were engaged in a very serious leak investigation and we had to make some very difficult choices about whether or not to move forward, going after the reporters in order to try to figure out where the source of the leak is,” he said on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe. “And sometimes, the department finds itself in a situation where they have exhausted all means and they have to make a very hard determination as to whether or not they want to subpoena the reporter, if they want to subpoena the reporter’s notes. So yes, I’ve had that situation. In the instance that I have in mind, we ultimately decided not to move forward.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/05/alberto-gonzales-subpoena-leak-91405.html#ixzz2TOYsujTb

What about all the other shenanigans they pulled?  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

I was wondering about the low tea-party activity level before the last election. There's always a reason...

Ya, except no tbagger organization was ever denied tax-exempt status due to the IRS, they were just useless to begin with.

Angryman, er concerned citizen,  works for the IRS, I knew it!

14. This post has been removed.