Should voting be mandatory ?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrCricket. Show MrCricket's posts

Re: Should voting be mandatory ?

In response to i-fart-in-andiejens-face's comment:

making elections free and open so that everyone is represented should also be mandatory.

that's a good point, faht. enough of the crony two party system.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I don't think voting should be mandatory for people...but I like the idea suggested by one poster that voting should be mandatory for politicians regarding legislation.

" Above all..be the heroine in your life..not the victim" Nora Ephron

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Even an intelligent voter well versed on state and national issues may have trouble determining who is the best selectman, csd board member, harbor manager, etc.  What we should do is get rid of ballots, and open online voting.  People can vote only for the positions and ballot measures they care about.  There are some states where you can just select all 'R' or all 'D' and be done with it - that's an enemy of democracy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from undead. Show undead's posts

That's something I would like to see. Currently, when you go to vote, there is an R, D, of I next to the names. Get rid of the R, D, and I. If the person voting has been paying attention then they shouldn't need that info anyway.

However, I don't think voting should be done on-line. To easy to hack, and it could give a very small group of people control over everything (after all, you can always change the votes after people have voted). I'm not saying you can't do this if it's not on-line, but it's a lot harder to do if it's not on-line.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfilio. Show portfilio's posts

In response to Sistersledge's comment:

I would have to say yes .... my main reason for saying yes is .... I think it would help develop more centrist policies for the country .

During the Revolutionary war, one third of the USA was pro-England, one third patriotic, and one third neutral. When the Constitution was created there was no mention of mandated voting at the federal level.  Thus, in order for such a law to pass constitutional muster it must be demonstrated that it is consistent with the ideas of our Founders as well as  necessary and proper.   Merely stating that it's a good idea would not suffice to meet these legal standards.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Voting should remain voluntary. Passing a course in American civics should be mandatory.

--

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfilio. Show portfilio's posts

Passing a course in American civics should be mandatory.

When I was a kid in school this was mandatory. Too bad the right wingers have reduced public school funding or we would likely have more such courses in classes today.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

When I was a kid in school this was mandatory. Too bad the right wingers have reduced public school funding or we would likely have more such courses in classes today.

That, of course, is BS. Instead of throwing money at a problem (see how well that worked in the Detroit school system) it's far more effective to set priorities and focus on teaching fundamentals instead of a social agenda.

--

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

In response to newman09's comment:

It would be a nightmare for the informed. Campaigns would be dumbing down their ads and TV spots going after this large demographic. It would change the way campaigns strategize, figuring out that they could win by grabbing this demographic. Keep the uninformed away; nothing good can come out of it.   

"Newman" ! ....... what is your definition of "the informed" ....... btw there are alot of informed voters who have voted and what good has become of it .....

Maybe informed is not the best word. You could say people who engage themselves in the democratic process, they register to vote, they show up and stand in line to vote without be told, and I imagine they put some effort into who they are going to vote for by paying attention to what's going, to some degree. As opposed to the person who would now have to go vote, get up off the couch, stop eating their Doritos and soda and pull the lever for the person that had the cutest add, or liked the way one candidate dressed over the other.    

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Or you could go the communist/fascist route and force everyone to vote in an election whose outcome has been predetermined. That allows the leftists of the world to proclaim that the election in question was "democratic."

--

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to portfilio's comment:

That's some power the Repubs have over the Dems...or is it that the Dems are sackless spineless dinks?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from undead. Show undead's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

Voting should remain voluntary. Passing a course in American civics should be mandatory.

--

I was living just outisde Chicago at the time. I was in 7th grade. The teacher at the time, who was the social study teacher, made it a point that for every class he taught in 7th grade during that year, to teach both civics and basic law.

One would not think much of such a thing at that time, but as the years go by, you will find out how glad you are you did take such a class, for it makes you appreachiate the system where most people never bother to even look at it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

[QUOTE]

GreginMeffa ..... getting all people to get involved is a "pipe dream" on my part but sometimes I get so disappointed that people just don't care about what is going on around them.

I'm with ya Sis.  The closest you can get is, "If ya don't, don't btch".  I make my kids vote

[/QUOTE]

I make it know to all those around me, if you don't vote, don't complain. 

I can count the votes that I have cast for winners on one hand, but I still vote.  If nothing else, it gives me an opportunity to scowl at all the stupid, stupid progressives walking in and out of the polls who are willfully destroying our democracy.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfilio. Show portfilio's posts

In response to portfilio's comment:

[QUOTE]

The right wingers in Massachusetts???

Frggn hilarious

[/QUOTE]

Who said that is restricted to Massachusetts?

From the delusional ravings we see on this forum and others throughout the USA it is clear people need lessons in civics so that they can make informed posts on web forums.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

GreginMeffa ..... getting all people to get involved is a "pipe dream" on my part but sometimes I get so disappointed that people just don't care about what is going on around them.

I'm with ya Sis.  The closest you can get is, "If ya don't, don't btch".  I make my kids vote

[/QUOTE]

I make it know to all those around me, if you don't vote, don't complain. 

I can count the votes that I have cast for winners on one hand, but I still vote.  If nothing else, it gives me an opportunity to scowl at all the stupid, stupid progressives walking in and out of the polls who are willfully destroying our democracy.

[/QUOTE]

Disagree...I think those who don't vote are the ONLY ones who get to complain...I'll let George Carlin explain : )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIraCchPDhk

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Silly.

There are informed non-voters and uninformed voters...informed voters and uninformed non-voters...

...of all persuasions in abundance.

The vagaries of public policy - much less political machinations -  are far beyond the grasp of many, many americans.  These are problems of large numbers and archaic concepts they don't or can't understand.

It may be comforting to some to think that the "average" person is fully invested in the process or issues of the day, but the evidence just isn't there.

I would also strongly dispute what passes these days for "informed" given the mass quantities of weak data and faulty arguments out there.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to bigdog2's comment:

If we had Mrs. Palin on energy, the way she was in Alaska, with an 82% approval rating, we would be winning this fight.  But you know this.

Pure speculation on your part.

Ya gotta dream, though....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

[QUOTE]

If we had Mrs. Palin on energy, the way she was in Alaska, with an 82% approval rating, we would be winning this fight.  But you know this.

Pure speculation on your part.

Ya gotta dream, though....

Maybe

But what do we have instead?

Gas      3.60

Pipeline    No   (possible 100,000 jobs....not)

True unemployment     14%

I like my "pure speculation".

[/QUOTE]

No maybes.  You made it up.

I'm sure you like the smell of your own breaking wind, too, but that doesn't make it any less gag-inducing to those around you.