Tell BPS: Boston Families Belong Together!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from veggirl. Show veggirl's posts

Tell BPS: Boston Families Belong Together!

Boston Public Schools is about to roll out massive changes to the school selection process.  Although the final decision has not been made, BPS has been consistent in saying it will NOT preserve sibling preference, as it historically has, after the 2014-2015 school year.   Families deserve the chance to keep brothers and sisters united.  Siblings are an important source of help, support, and safety for one another, and busy families will struggle to juggle multiple school start times, end times, extracurricular/afterschool programs, PTAs and relationships with school faculties and communities.  

Not allowing siblings to attend the same schools rips school communities apart, diminishes the ability of parents to be actively involved in both schools (which negatively impacts school quality), and creates an unfair burden on young working families.

Please tell Boston Public Schools that Families Belong Together!   Sign below today!

http://signon.org/sign/tell-boston-public-schools

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from veggirl. Show veggirl's posts

Re: Tell BPS: Boston Families Belong Together!

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:
    [QUOTE]

When my kids charter school first opened in 1998, we were first in.  My daughter was in 3rd grade, my son in first, and my youngest daughter coming up on Kindergarten.

They told me the 3rd grader was in, no room in first grade, and we would cross my youngest's bridge the following year.

I told them point blank, they would take all 3 without question, or get none.

The next day a letter went out saying siblings were automatic. 

Yes, I did that.

BPS splitting siblings withIN the public school system is outrageous.  Tell them if they do that you and all your friends will find a charter school and cost them real money.

They understand money.

[/QUOTE]

Money is all they are thinking about right now.   They spend so much money on bussing and are so inept at organizing it - they don't want to have to deal with two different busing zone systems.   They are seriously making a policy choice that affects thousands of families, children.... because of the inept transportation department.  

Please sign the petition and share with as many Boston area people as you can!!!  Thanks for sharing your success story, as well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from veggirl. Show veggirl's posts

We've almost got 400 signatures!   Most of the signatures are from people on the south side of the city (where I live.)   I don't really have connections to north side communities, please spread the word, they stand as much or even more to lose if this doesn't get reversed!

http://signon.org/sign/tell-boston-public-schools

Families belong together!   My 2 year old should be able to go to school with her sister!   It isn't fair they are changing the districts and not allowing families to stay together!  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

good luck

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

Neighborhood schools seems to be the best answer.  How much money goes to busing?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from veggirl. Show veggirl's posts

Neighborhood schools are definitely part of the solution, but, the plans as presented do very little to reduce the bussing budget (by 10% even by BPS's own estimates) and what is defined as a "neighborhood"?   My own child goes to a school that takes me 7 minutes to drive to.... it is definitely close by.   But EVERY single proposal cuts my second child off from the school.   Because it is not in our "home" zone as randomly drawn by the plans, and its 1.1 miles from my home, which is JUST over the cut-off?   That is not fair.   I had my child apply only to schools within our walk zone when we applied to the lottery.   But BPS is changing how the walk zones are defined.  I am a single mom, it is hard enough to make transportation arrangements with one school - I cannot imagine how hard it would be to cultivate villages in TWO schools.

Boston should not be allowed to change the rules in the middle of the game.   We all want the same thing.  Stronger neighborhoods, stronger schools.  But you cannot strengthen neighborhoods by breaking up families.   Boston is trying to pass that cost onto families, when in reality, it will simply negatively affect the schools.   Parental involvement is a huge part of school quality.   How can I divide my time between two school pathways?  

I want neighborhood schools.  But none of these proposals accurately reflect what I consider to be my neighborhood, and they all separate my children.  y BPS's own numbers - this could affect anywhere from 30-80% of families depending on which proposal is adopted.   BPS can't drop that ball on us.   Please support Boston Families and sign our petition.   Thank you.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to TFefio's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is why we need a school voucher system.

[/QUOTE]

Actually..a voucher program would not fix the issue at hand and would likely make the problem worse. I am generally in favor of the school voucher system and school choice...but the above scenario is one that would not be alleviated by school vouchers and school choice.

What we have here is a failure of the school system to use common sense. Siblings should be kept together..that is a no brainer both morally and financially..especially if the school is providing transportation.

I am not a fan of the big regional school model that most cities in towns in MA have bought into over the past 20 years. I think the smaller, neighborhood school model was much more effective.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from veggirl. Show veggirl's posts

Yes, vouchers will do nothing to solve this problem.

Fantastic article in the Globe this week:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2012/11/28/putting-gace-boston-school-reassignment-proposals/Wmyzp8Tcs6zISduJTu6IKI/comments.html

And we have gotten a TON more signatures, over 1000 between the two petitions!   Please sign and share them with your friends.  So many children and families are depending on it.  Thanks.....

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from veggirl. Show veggirl's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If my school system was going to split my kids up, I would leave said school system.

[/QUOTE]

People say the same thing about every election in the US, too.  I prefer to work WITH the system, and make it right for everyone - not just my own family!

We are only 36 signatures away from 1000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Please sign and share with your friends!   We can do this!!!