The Over and Under for Zimmerman.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

The Over and Under for Zimmerman.

Guilty of Manslaughter, sentenced to 10 years, out on parole in 3.

Set an example for all the wannabe tough guys.  Carrying a gun doesn't turn you into Harry Calahan.  You go after someone with a gun, you better be 100% sure, because there's a huge price to pay if you aren't.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedwardnicky. Show jedwardnicky's posts

Re: The Over and Under for Zimmerman.

I've never considered any of it a racial thing. I do think it's all terribly unfortunate. I also think it's a matter of people making stupid mistakes resulting in the death of someone who did not deserve to die. I feel bad for all those involved. But I do think mistakes need to be punished. Treyvon is dead, Zimmerman needs to do some time. Seems fair to me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

I'll take manslaughter. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

I think Baretta is getting off ..... I hope the Martin Family is still allowed to take him to civil court though .

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

In response to Sistersledge's comment:

[QUOTE]

I hope the Martin Family is still allowed to take him to civil court though .

Well, many victim's families don't want money as compensation. Many defendant's families don't have any money anyway.

If the guy had to set up a fund to pay for his defense, he likely has far to few assets to make the emotional trauma of yet another trial worthwhile.

[/QUOTE]

I didn't know he had a defense fund ...... I myself would want the person who killed a love one of mine to be found guilty somewhere

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

Acquittal. The jury will be interviewed and will say "what we think is not the question; the prosecution did not prove manslaughter and certainly not 2nd degree murder".

The real fact is Zimmermans life as he knew it is over.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

In response to tvoter's comment:

Acquittal. The jury will be interviewed and will say "what we think is not the question; the prosecution did not prove manslaughter and certainly not 2nd degree murder".

Trayvon Martin's life is definitely over

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedwardnicky. Show jedwardnicky's posts

"The real fact is Zimmermans life as he knew it is over."

Really, that's the "real fact"?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Martin's parents should go after the home owners association.  IMO, they are the ones that responsible for all of this.  

I get that they had a rash of break ins and wanted a better level of security.  But Zimmerman with a gun was the wrong person for the job.  They should have gotten a private security firm, particularly if they wanted an armed security guard - someone with formal training.

this tragedy was avoidable, and that's why Zim should go to jail. 

If Zim was driving a car with "security" written in the side and a yellow light on top, I believe Martin would be alive.  If Zim has a uniform with some type of badge, then the chances of Martin being alive improve.

but pursuing a "suspect" on foot, in the dark, with no back up, with no identification, and no training, but with a gun - how could anything go wrong?  Would a reasonable person do what Zimmerman did?  Of course not, because if they would, we would hear about "suspects" being killed more often by members of a neigborhood watch.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

In response to DirtyWaterLover's comment:

Martin's parents should go after the home owners association.  IMO, they are the ones that responsible for all of this.  

I get that they had a rash of break ins and wanted a better level of security.  But Zimmerman with a gun was the wrong person for the job.  They should have gotten a private security firm, particularly if they wanted an armed security guard - someone with formal training.

this tragedy was avoidable, and that's why Zim should go to jail. 

If Zim was driving a car with "security" written in the side and a yellow light on top, I believe Martin would be alive.  If Zim has a uniform with some type of badge, then the chances of Martin being alive improve.

but pursuing a "suspect" on foot, in the dark, with no back up, with no identification, and no training, but with a gun - how could anything go wrong?  Would a reasonable person do what Zimmerman did?  Of course not, because if they would, we would hear about "suspects" being killed more often by members of a neigborhood watch.

I imagine they could go after the agency that trained him also

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Manslaughter.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to jedwardnicky's comment:

Every murder is also a homicide but, every homicide is not murder or manslaughter or even a crime!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

I think Baretta is getting off ..... I hope the Martin Family is still allowed to take him to civil court though .

Sister,

The Martin family is allowed to take him to court. Absolutely.

As in the O.J. Simpson case where he was acquitted in the criminal case but found responsible in the civil case. Huge damages were awarded.

The lawyers in the civil case learn from the criminal case. The burden of proof is much less in the civil case. 

So whatever the verdict not to fear there will be a civil case against Zimmerman.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Every murder is also a homicide but, every homicide is not murder or manslaughter or even a crime!

tvoter,

I think you meant to say every death of a human being is not murder or manslaghter or even a crime!

This was everybody agrees a death of a human being. The rest of the words you used ARE legal terms including homicide.  

So every death of a human being is not a crime in short. Or, if a crime, may have an affirmative defense. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I thnk we will have a verdict before the weekend is over. The jury requested an inventory list of the evidence. To me..this suggests that they are going to go over the evidence in a thorough manner.

I don't think the prosectution handled the case as well as they could have. I doubt that we get a verdict of 2nd degree murder..but I put the odds of a manslaughter conviction versus acquittal at about 50-50 right now...it could go either way.

No matter what the jury decides..you can bet that there will be a civil trial.  Also..no matter what the jury decides this is a tragedy that can't be undone. Zimmerman made one bad decision after another that night. Those decisions led to the death of Treyvon Martin. No one can dispute that..no one.  Take the gun out of the scenario and they probably both walk away..bloodied but alive. If Zimmerman had obeyed the 911 operator..no one would have died that night. Whether all of that rises to the level of legal responsibility is up for the Jury to decide.

To those who say Zimmerman's life will never be the same...I say too bad..so sad. He has a life. That is more than what can be said for Martin. It's a little hard to swallow Zimmerman has a sympathetic character in all of this.

" Above all..be the heroine in your life..not the victim" Nora Ephron

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedwardnicky. Show jedwardnicky's posts

Whoosh............

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

[QUOTE]

I hope the Martin Family is still allowed to take him to civil court though .

Well, many victim's families don't want money as compensation. Many defendant's families don't have any money anyway.

If the guy had to set up a fund to pay for his defense, he likely has far to few assets to make the emotional trauma of yet another trial worthwhile.

[/QUOTE]

WDYWN,

True, many defendants do not have any money at the time they are sued.

But civil judgments are good for many years. How many years depends on the state. They also can be renewed.

So, the Martin family can go after Zimmerman for say 20 years if they win a judgment.

Say he wins the lottery. Bingo! There is a big pot of money they are first in line for.

Zimmerman also has to work if he is acquitted. They can go after his wages. 

Money will never replace the life he took. But that is all that is left after the civil trial.

With it they could set up a scholarship in the name of Martin. That is what the Carol DiMaiti Stuart family did with monies they received in a settlement from the Charles Stuart estate.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

The "not guilty" verdict was surprising. Didn't think murder 2 was going to happen but I never thought he'd get off scot free. Not even a $20 fine for shooting and killing an unarmed kid. Wow.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlleyCatBruin. Show AlleyCatBruin's posts

In response to BilltheKat's comment:

The "not guilty" verdict was surprising. Didn't think murder 2 was going to happen but I never thought he'd get off scot free. Not even a $20 fine for shooting and killing an unarmed kid. Wow.

I thought it was surprising too. Martin did nothing wrong, armed with Skittles. Zimmerman, armed with a loaded gun, follows him and ends up shooting him in the heart.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlleyCatBruin. Show AlleyCatBruin's posts

LOL, love the "Baretta" reference. After this verdict, I'm not confident of any jury ruling in favor of a black family in Florida.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlleyCatBruin. Show AlleyCatBruin's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

I thnk we will have a verdict before the weekend is over. The jury requested an inventory list of the evidence. To me..this suggests that they are going to go over the evidence in a thorough manner.

I don't think the prosectution handled the case as well as they could have. I doubt that we get a verdict of 2nd degree murder..but I put the odds of a manslaughter conviction versus acquittal at about 50-50 right now...it could go either way.

No matter what the jury decides..you can bet that there will be a civil trial.  Also..no matter what the jury decides this is a tragedy that can't be undone. Zimmerman made one bad decision after another that night. Those decisions led to the death of Treyvon Martin. No one can dispute that..no one.  Take the gun out of the scenario and they probably both walk away..bloodied but alive. If Zimmerman had obeyed the 911 operator..no one would have died that night. Whether all of that rises to the level of legal responsibility is up for the Jury to decide.

To those who say Zimmerman's life will never be the same...I say too bad..so sad. He has a life. That is more than what can be said for Martin. It's a little hard to swallow Zimmerman has a sympathetic character in all of this.

" Above all..be the heroine in your life..not the victim" Nora Ephron

Good points, mscricket. Especially this one: "If Zimmerman had obeyed the 911 operator..no one would have died that night." This is why in my opinion a manslaughter conviction would have been justified in this case. Zimmerman's own actions led to the death of Martin.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

I've had parking tickets with more of a penalty.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

tvoter got his wish....

Wish? lol

The prosecution did not prove anything because he showed it happened exactly like Zimmerman and the first responders said it did before the race baiters got involved!!