There Is No Debate About "Global Warming"

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Re: There Is No Debate About

In response to FaolanofEssex's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to WhichOnesPink2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The US has approximately 5 % of the world's population. Yet we are responsible for over 30% of the world's solid waste ( trash). Lets start there.

[/QUOTE]

Ok, how? Could you offer specifics? Should we hoard instead of throwing away our trash? What are your specifics?

[/QUOTE]

For one thing, we should think about how we package things. Convenience = added trash. Recycle more - we are last in modern nations in this. Raise gas and oil prices to the level where people practice conservation. Stop burning so much fossil fuels.

[/QUOTE]

Packaging is up to govt to demand companies package things differently. But do you have examples of things that are excessively packaged?

I see recycling bins all over the place. On trash day in front of peoples homes, in many stores, etc. Not sure how much more recycling we can do. 

Stop buring so much fossil fuels? Like what for example?

[/QUOTE]

Oil for one. We recycle here.  But that is not true of much of the country. Most everything considered "convenient is excessively packaged. most takeout , fast food, etc. Electronics. Perhaps the saddest thing is the amount of food we throw out.

[/QUOTE]

I agree completely, our society wastes incredible quantities of food.  This is just part of what the nannystaet has done to us over the past 40 years.  We've become germophobics to the point were children are not exposed to anything and they never build up their immune systems which is one of the reasons that food allergies have exploded exponentially.  We've let government freshness dates be the determiners of when food is discarded.  If stored properly canned food lasts for many years not just one or two, and god knows that twinkies will last forever not just 7 days.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

I see recycling bins all over the place. On trash day in front of peoples homes, in many stores, etc. Not sure how much more recycling we can do. 

[/QUOTE]

Given that said products are man-made, the short answer is 100%.

The long answer is somewhere north of 100%, i.e., second-and third-generation recycling.

A closer look at some of those bins might show how empty they really are....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

But do you have examples of things that are excessively packaged?

[/QUOTE]

To wit, the rise of the bag of candies, each of which are individually wrapped in non-recyclable plastic.

It isn't simply packaging. It's an abundance of packaging that can't be recycled coupled with a lack of recycling programs in many areas that's the real problem.

[/QUOTE]

So start a recycling campaign. I am all for that!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

In response to massmoderateJoe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The US has approximately 5 % of the world's population. Yet we are responsible for over 30% of the world's solid waste ( trash). Lets start there.

[/QUOTE]

Ok, how? Could you offer specifics? Should we hoard instead of throwing away our trash? What are your specifics?

[/QUOTE]

For one thing, we should think about how we package things. Convenience = added trash. Recycle more - we are last in modern nations in this. Raise gas and oil prices to the level where people practice conservation. Stop burning so much fossil fuels.

[/QUOTE]

Packaging is up to govt to demand companies package things differently. But do you have examples of things that are excessively packaged?

[/QUOTE]

Oil for one. We recycle here.  But that is not true of much of the country. Most everything considered "convenient is excessively packaged. most takeout , fast food, etc. Electronics. Perhaps the saddest thing is the amount of food we throw out.

[/QUOTE]

I agree completely, our society wastes incredible quantities of food.  This is just part of what the nannystaet has done to us over the past 40 years.  We've become germophobics to the point were children are not exposed to anything and they never build up their immune systems which is one of the reasons that food allergies have exploded exponentially.  We've let government freshness dates be the determiners of when food is discarded.  If stored properly canned food lasts for many years not just one or two, and god knows that twinkies will last forever not just 7 days.

[/QUOTE]

I was really thinking about the quantities of food wasted in restaurants, etc. But if you want to comment on the general industry have at it. Tho I fail  to see how food allergies and "germophobia" contribute to food waste. Are you suggesting we would waste less if we did away with safety standards?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

Dont waste your time with wingnuts.

They're too engaged in their dogma. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

[QUOTE]

"I agree completely, our society wastes incredible quantities of food.  This is just part of what the nannystaet has done to us over the past 40 years." 

What?

How on earth do you get to blaming the government for individual's actions? Food is wasted because people don't cook it in time. Food is wasted because people order more than they can eat in a restaurant. Food isn't wasted because government did something to it.

"We've become germophobics to the point were children are not exposed to anything and they never build up their immune systems which is one of the reasons that food allergies have exploded exponentially."

1. The theory isn't restricted to food allergies, but all allergies. It is not entirely proven, just a working theory. Contributors may also include household products and pollution. There are a ton of chemicals that haven't been studied - there just aren't the resources - and tons of new ones.

2. People being germophobes is not government's fault. It's much more the fault of businesses whose fear-mongering commercials tell people that if they don't use Purell every 3 minutes, they're going to get the flu. Hence, you may have noticed, over the last ten years the piles of paper towels next to the door to the office bathroom(s) has been ever-increasing. People use towels to open the door!

But I place most of the fault on the individual. People are too lazy to do any research, and when not they don't seem to understand how to determine the trustworthiness of a given source. If it's on the internet, it's true, for far too many people.

"We've let government freshness dates be the determiners of when food is discarded.  If stored properly canned food lasts for many years not just one or two, and god knows that twinkies will last forever not just 7 days."

And again, do a tiny bit of research and you immediately see that government recommendations are designed that way specifically because people have a tendency to say "oh, well, this will probably last longer."

I'm also not entirely sure that very many people at all even read the government warnings....because they're government warnings. How many bother with the nutrition label?

[/QUOTE]

Peanut allergies likely in higher-income families

Publish date: Nov 15, 2012

By:  Contemporary Pediatrics

Children from higher-income families are more likely to have peanut allergies than children from families living closer to the poverty threshold, according to a study that compared socioeconomic level to peanut sensitization.

The preliminary findings were presented at the American College of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology Annual Scientific Meeting in Anaheim, California.

Researchers examined socioeconomic status and age for an association with peanut sensitization. Using blood-sample data for 8,300 persons aged older than 1 year from the 2005-2006 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, they found 776 persons with elevated antibodies to peanuts.

When these persons were stratified by age and income level, data showed that children aged 1 to 9 years living in higher-income families had higher rates of peanut allergies compared with children of the same age from families with lower incomes. Peak prevalence of sensitization occurred in children aged 10 to 19 years and declined into middle age.

Researchers theorize that early development of peanut sensitization is related to the cleaner environments found in wealthier homes. Allergists also have supported the “hygiene hypothesis” that living in a clean environment early in life suppresses the immune system’s response to germs and makes a child more sensitive to allergens.

Yes, I do blame the goverment and overzealousness for a lot of things.

Yes and things will last a lot longer; but freshness dates are now confused with expiration dates and tons of food is wasted everyday.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to NO MO O's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sounds like HCR....

WE pay X now... we will pay X+Y for the same soon

The extra we pay goes into some government fund which cannot be audited.

On top of that.. jack up the price of gas and oil.

Again, Uncle Obama takes the money and goes shopping.

Stop burning so much fossil???  Force Americans to consume less by charging more.

Aren't we on the brink of an economic disater.. and some idiot wants to whack us again on everything we touch or is transported.

F'ing brilliant.

[/QUOTE]

It IS brilliant actually.  Money is fairly pointless without a world to spend it in.

Here's an idea: If you don't want to spend so much on fuel, then use LESS of it.

[/QUOTE]

Yah, and shuffing around in sack cloth as serfs on the government plantation aint worth it wither.  Scr3w the gov't.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

You folks do realize that the globe hasn't gotten warmer in 16 years don't you?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2217286/Global-warming-stopped-16-years-ago-reveals-Met-Office-report-quietly-released--chart-prove-it.html

So, understanding that there has been no cessation in the creation of CO2 and, in fact, it has risen tremendously in the last 16 years, there can only be one of two conclusions.

1) There is an unknown, mysterious and perfectly opposite force to CO2 that is preventing it from making global temperatures rise.

2) Or, CO2 does not cause temperatures to rise (at least not in the quantities that we're putting into the atmosphere.)

I wonder which one it is?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

I see that you're bitterly clinging to your sadly out-dated and pathetically wrong theory WDYWN. Really, a 5th grader could see through your cut and paste "debunking."

My god, he didn't even make an effort to prove that it was wrong. He just said that the graph started at the wrong place. I guess that would be a problem if anyone was saying that the earth had never warmed but that's not the case. The assertion is that the earth hasn't experienced any warming for the last 16 years so the chart that he conveniently provided is perfectly valid.

By the way, you can (and probably should) extend the chart back to the end of the last little ice age because that's when the warming trend actually began. That would be before the advent of the internal combustion engine.

So, the question remains, why hasnt it gotten any warmer over the course of the last decade and a half?

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

[QUOTE]

Peanut allergies

Is one type of allergy.

I was talking about allergies. The theory is under-exposure to environmental bacteria.

Not spoiled food.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, peanut allergies was a topical example.

Yes, I agree with the under-exposure to environmentla bacteria theorey, the old wives tale was prophetic in telling us that if it doesn't kill youi it makes you stronger.

This whole change does tie in to the nannystate philosophy you just don't want to see it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

[QUOTE]

Yes, I do blame the goverment and overzealousness for a lot of things.

I know you do. I'm pointing out how much knee-jerk silliness it is.

You claim that government is to blame for an increase of allergies. You cite an article about a working theory that wealthier people have cleaner homes, and that maybe this is the reason wealthier people have more peanut allergies. (Or maybe it's a chemical in $100 bills).

I fail to understand how you have concluded that it is government's fault that wealthy people have cleaner homes. Maybe they can afford more maids because they're.....wealthy?

[/QUOTE]

You do love a good tangent, you get my point and don't agree and that is OK.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So just stop buring oil? Just like that? Um...ok. You realize oil is in pretty much most products you use on a daily basis right?

Do you have stats showing most of the country doesn't recycle? Thanks!

How would one get takeout food home if it wasn't packaged? If you can master that trick you'll be a rich man. Should electronics not be packaged? Interesting....

Based on the way most people look I would be surprised this country throws out ANY food....just sayin!

[/QUOTE]

Like most debates there are differences in perspectives.

Matty and our other friends on the left are urban or urban suburban dwellers so they have other transportation options (that thye like to have subsidized) and they can connect to natural gas in the streets while folks in the exurbs and beyond need cars to get to work, depend on oil to heat.

As for recycling the exurbs do a much better job then in the urban areas.  My town has a pay by bag trash pickup and free single stream recycling, you can be sure that our recycling bin is full and our trash is limited.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You folks do realize that the globe hasn't gotten warmer in 16 years don't you?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2217286/Global-warming-stopped-16-years-ago-reveals-Met-Office-report-quietly-released--chart-prove-it.html

So, understanding that there has been no cessation in the creation of CO2 and, in fact, it has risen tremendously in the last 16 years, there can only be one of two conclusions.

1) There is an unknown, mysterious and perfectly opposite force to CO2 that is preventing it from making global temperatures rise.

2) Or, CO2 does not cause temperatures to rise (at least not in the quantities that we're putting into the atmosphere.)

I wonder which one it is?

[/QUOTE]

It's neither.  It's the millionaires and billionaires.  That's what Lizzie Warren told me, and she doesn't lie.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Matty and our other friends on the left are urban or urban suburban dwellers so they have other transportation options (that thye like to have subsidized) and they can connect to natural gas in the streets while folks in the exurbs and beyond need cars to get to work, depend on oil to heat.

As for recycling the exurbs do a much better job then in the urban areas.  My town has a pay by bag trash pickup and free single stream recycling, you can be sure that our recycling bin is full and our trash is limited.

[/QUOTE]

We pay per barrel for our trash pickup. We typically have two kitchen barrel sized bags per week and our recycling bin is always filled and sometimes needing a second bin.

[/QUOTE]

Curbside recycling is a joke.  It iexists in order to create yet another set of bribes. It is way more efficient to collect all the trash mixed, and separate at a recycling plant.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to skeeter20's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We pay per barrel for our trash pickup. We typically have two kitchen barrel sized bags per week and our recycling bin is always filled and sometimes needing a second bin.

[/QUOTE]

Curbside recycling is a joke.  It iexists in order to create yet another set of bribes. It is way more efficient to collect all the trash mixed, and separate at a recycling plant.

[/QUOTE]

How is it more effiecient to sift through all garbage in order to pull out recycleable trash versus already having recycle trash separate???

[/QUOTE]

Have you ever seen a real recycling plant?  They are amazing.  raw trash goes in, bales of plastics, paper and metals come out the other end.  One example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_RWqgXcP_k

Curbside shifts the labor to the consumer, AND sets up another set of hands for your tax dollar to pick up.  Most of these contracts work on minimums, whihc surprisingly are never met, so the city kicks in cash to make up the difference.  Oh, BTW: the recycled trash gets mixed in with the regular trash anyways.  Don't beleive me?

http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/18850951/2012/06/21/boston-recyclables-being-dumped-into-trash-truck

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No it works and it provides an incentive to cut back our your pay per bag trash.

It is a business centered conservative approach, it puts the consumer in-charge.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How is it more effiecient to sift through all garbage in order to pull out recycleable trash versus already having recycle trash separate???

[/QUOTE]

Have you ever seen a real recycling plant?  They are amazing.  raw trash goes in, bales of plastics, paper and metals come out the other end.  One example:

Curbside shifts the labor to the consumer, AND sets up another set of hands for your tax dollar to pick up.  Most of these contracts work on minimums, whihc surprisingly are never met, so the city kicks in cash to make up the difference.  Oh, BTW: the recycled trash gets mixed in with the regular trash anyways.  Don't beleive me?

http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/18850951/2012/06/21/boston-recyclables-being-dumped-into-trash-truck

[/QUOTE]

This example of mismangement doesn't tell the story of a managed waste stream.

Usually there are two separate trucks but the firm just got a new split stream truck with separate trash and recycling compartments.

similar to this

http://www.kannmfg.com/products/refuse/rlm/

Voluntary recycling doesn't work if you still get free trash pick; after all where is the incentive to recycle, other than the right thing to do.

But if you have a pay per bag system and free single stream recycling you have an incentive to reduce your trash volume.  My wife and I generate 1 pay 33 gal bag of trash per week at $1.50 per bag and a full bin of recycling.  So it costs me $78/yr for trash, if I was lazy it would cost me one or two times more.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ah, so this one story is indicitive of ALL recycling pick up eh??? Sigh...

There is a separate truck that picked up recycling when I lived in Boston JUST as there is a different truck that picks up recycling in the town I live in now. 

Curbside shifts labor to consumer? You mean the labor of me walking the recycle bin to my curb?....oh the horror...must take me all of 30 seconds each week. God how do I ever survive it??? Granted I need a nap after such exhausting work....sigh...

[/QUOTE]

I think I just found some one dependent on his local government.  What's your cut?