Excellent Book about the war in Afghanistan

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Excellent Book about the war in Afghanistan

I'm reading a great book about the war in Afghanistan called , "War".  It's written by Sebastian Junger, who also wrote, "the Perfect Storm".

I haven't read other non-fiction about the War in Afghanistan so I can't say it's the best or anything.  But it is a fascinating read.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scraptus. Show Scraptus's posts

Re: Excellent Book about the war in Afghanistan

I just picked this one up last week and haven't had a chance to open it yet.  The beach activities this weekend were more eating and drinking than reading, but I'm glad to hear so positive feedback on it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I hope some of the men of 2nd Platoon are seeing some benefits from the book and documentary.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

In Response to Excellent Book about the war in Afghanistan:
    I'm reading a great book about the war in Afghanistan called , "War".  It's written by Sebastian Junger, who also wrote, "the Perfect Storm". I haven't read other non-fiction about the War in Afghanistan so I can't say it's the best or anything.  But it is a fascinating read.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

Good to hear! That is on my summer reading list on my nook. I am in the middle of "First In" by Gary Schroen who is former CIA. Interesting read on the days before we went into Afghanistan.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Unless we overcome the forces of political correctness and honestly discuss the dangers radical Islamism we will never develop what Roosevelt and Churchill would have called a grand national strategy to defeat it.  And without that, we are unlikely to win.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

In Response to Re: Excellent Book about the war in Afghanistan:
    [QUOTE]Unless we overcome the forces of political correctness and honestly discuss the dangers radical Islamism we will never develop what Roosevelt and Churchill would have called a grand national strategy to defeat it.  And without that, we are unlikely to win.
    Posted by newman09[/QUOTE]

So sad.  Until we overcome the desire to oversimplify things, we will never get out of the Middle East.  It's not about religion.  It's about economics.  It's about power.  It's about geopolitics. It's about control.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimbo5553. Show jimbo5553's posts

To Newman09--What do those empty phrases MEAN if anything!!!!???--i.e."political correctness???!!! Read the book, Dude!!! You NEVER would have dug up that old cliche if you had!!! "Radical Islam"--i.e. the government of Iran and certain circles in Saudi Arabia/Pakistan ARE funding the Taliban -- a mostly Pushtun group who abandon Islam when necessary. This is a VERY complicated situation, and after reading this EXCELLENT book, there seems to be  NO WAY the US can 'win" in Afghanistan-it is Vietnam redux!!! At best, we can retreat into fortresses to defend the present population from massacres, but there is NO end point, no definite geographic goals to reach, and we are BROKE as a country-thank you Cheney et al!!!! Still, the heroism and bravery of these guys AND Sebastian Junger is astounding!!!! But get them out of danger PRONTO!!!! There are better fronts to fight this struggle, but labelling it as "Islamo-fascism" is too simplistic and idiotic-something neither roosevelt nor Churchill would have done!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

The documentary, "Restrepo" was filmed as the book was being written.

The Taliban pays a kid $5 (a fortune) to hide out in the mountains and take a few pot shots at the troops - just to rattle them.  The troops respond by calling in an air strike.

Someone takes pot shots at the troops from a village.  The villagers, for the most part, just want to live in peace.  they'd prefer the Americans gone but prefer to be left alone.  In retaliation for the shots fired from the village, an air strike is called in.  5 or 6 people get killed and others get injured, including little kids.  It ticks off the villagers who tell the Taliban they will help the Taliban attack the Americans. 

The result is the region became more anti-US.

Interestingly, the movie begins with the new commander telling villagers that he wants to start fresh.  Apparently, there were some incidents with the prior detachment of soldiers that were viewed negatively by the villagers.

We're never going to be successful in Afghanistan. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In Response to Excellent Book about the war in Afghanistan:
    [QUOTE]I'm reading a great book about the war in Afghanistan called , "War".  It's written by Sebastian Junger, who also wrote, "the Perfect Storm". I haven't read other non-fiction about the War in Afghanistan so I can't say it's the best or anything.  But it is a fascinating read.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

Another one to read is Lie Down with Lambs by Follet, I beleive.  It takes place when the russians were involved, I beleive.  I haven't read it in years, but my recollection is that it was a good read, and contained some background as to the culture and such.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

A book that is Non-Fiction that I found highly informative into the culture of the Afgany people is a book called "The Places Inbetween", by Rory Stewart.

Rory Stewart had spent most of his life living in the Middle East living with his mother & father who was a British Diplomat, and like his father, himself became interested in the culture of the Midddle East. He was educated in England studying modern history, politics and economics, graduatiing from Oxford. While at Oxford he tutored both Prince William and Harry. He was a member of the British Black Watch and after served in the British forgein service in East Timor and Kosovo.

After his time in the forgein service Rory Stewart was drawing back to understanding the Middle East and walked over 6000 miles in Iran, Iraq and Afganastain, stopping in over 500 villiages along the way, learning more of the language and culture of where he walked.

His book "The Places Inbetween", brings forward a very human understanding of some of the culture that exisits in Afganastain. I was over whelmed with the knowledge that this book processes. Fabulous read. PLEASE, read this book, if you want a glimpse into such a far flung culture.

PS : Rory Stwert has started a foundation in Kabul called the Turquoise Mountain Foundation which employs tradesman in a school atmosphere and brings the young children off the street, to teach them trade and artisian skills, so the children will be able to gain employment in fields other than war.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GunghoGuy. Show GunghoGuy's posts

All wars are not local, far from that...each global strife has different parameters....another great read is Sgt Lee Ballenger's "US Marines in Korea-1952".....the other Koreran War ....after the  Chosin Reservoir fighting withdrawal....especially Chapter 3......Semper Fidelis