Busy Since Birth, Tuesday, 20 facts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

Busy Since Birth, Tuesday, 20 facts

Thanks for your introduction yesterday, Cheryl!

Today we'd like to know 20 facts about you and your blog, BusySinceBirth.com.

Attention readers: Feel free to post comments and questions for Cheryl in this thread. Or just stop by to say "hi." And please come back throughout the week to learn more about Cheryl and her blog. We'll be chatting with her every day in this forum.

Go here to learn more about this series and to nominate a local parenting blogger (or yourself!).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilMisBusy. Show LilMisBusy's posts

Re: Busy Since Birth, Tuesday, 20 facts

Okay, here goes:

1. I started blogging because I was inspired by so many of the personal stories I was reading all over the internet. Salon.com's "Mothers Who Think" series was an early inspiration. I thought it was only fair to share my own stories too.

2. I do sometimes miss the anonymity of my early blogging days. Not that I was saying anything scandalous, but it was kind of fun to have this alter ego.

3. However, I absolutely love how my blog has brought so many people closer to me. It means so much to run into an old friend and hear "I relate so much to your blog!" - which just happened last week!

4. Consequently, I really enjoy social media, especially Twitter. There, I've been able to connect to others with similar interests that I'd never have met elsewhere. Some have become friends in real life too.

5. I went to my first blogging conference last fall, and will be attending BlogHer for the first time this summer. I like having the dedicated time to think about my hobby (and it's truly a hobby, I've never made any money from blogging), just like others might go camping or on golf trips.

6. "The Having It All Project" (http://www.busysincebirth.com/p/the-having-it-all-project.html) was born from the thoughts I was having around that first conference. I'd always been writing about work-life balance, but this was a way to share more opinions than just mine.

7. My proudest blogging moment came when Anne-Marie Slaughter ( http://www.busysincebirth.com/2013/01/so-this-happened.html) tweeted that she "loved" my blog and shared it with her followers. I knew I'd hit something worthwhile then.

8. I also had the opportunity to discuss work-life balance and produce a series of videos with JewishBoston.com and Combined Jewish Philanthropies. I loved chatting with the other women - we seemed so natural even though we'd just met! ( http://www.busysincebirth.com/2013/02/my-youtube-debut-with-jewishbostoncom.html)

9. Through Twitter, I got the opportunity to be on the front page of The Boston Globe to discuss the Yahoo! working from home ban. I work from home one day a week, and am a big proponent of work flexibility. It was so fun to be in the paper with my daughter. ( http://www.busysincebirth.com/2013/03/front-page-news.html)

10. I'm just starting to play with PicMonkey.com, a photo editing tool, to help create images for my blog posts that wouldn't have one otherwise. I usually just focus on the text of the posts themselves, but this is a fun diversion too.

11. I'd love to get a manual camera and take some photography lessons some day. I've always enjoyed taking pictures, and can usually take good photographs of people, but I'd love to understand more of the mechanics behind it.

12. I really love living in the Boston area. It's not easy - houses are small and expensive, the weather can be difficult, everything can feel like a competition - but I don't like easy. To me, easy isn't worth doing.

13. My husband is in the middle of transferring caterpillars in their cocoons to a butterfly habitat right now (as I'm writing this on Monday night). Yes, my kids got one of those butterfly kits, and I am very grateful I don't need to be the one figuring this out right now. The things we do for our children...

14. Those children that I love so much it sometimes hurts to breathe. I think the blog is really mostly for them. I like the idea that some day they'll be able to look back and see the person that I was while raising them. Hopefully they'll find it interesting.

15. Twenty things is an awful lot. Especially when I'd already written 25 of them when that facebook meme was popular back in 2009. (http://www.busysincebirth.com/2013/04/remember-facebook-meme-25-things.html)

16. I commute downtown via the Green Line (and a couple of stops on the Red Line too). I hate driving, the commuter rail schedules aren't very accommodating and take almost as long, and parking is expensive. The MBTA is no picnic, but I'm an expert at getting a seat when I need one.

17. I only just last week started playing around with Pinterest. I'm not crafty and I don't cook. I usually find so much about the internet inspiring, but I'm not really an "oooh, look at the pretty pictures!" kind of girl. I guess I like words more.

18. I'm getting desperate and have now turned to Twitter for my final few points. My dear friend @LizPW says I should tell you I'm faithful, that I'm "full of faith in myself, my kids, my husband, my world."...and that's probably true to a fault. It takes a lot for me to not stick with someone or something (and thanks, Liz).

19. I spend more time cleaning, and stressing about cleaning, than is probably good for me. (Side eye at the pile of sand on the floor.)

20. I'm really, really glad to have finished this post. :)

Hope you've enjoyed today's ramblings!Want more? Click on over to http://busysincebirth.com.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

#5 - Tell us about the conference! What did you learn? What's your advice to a blogger who is not sure whether to attend one?

#7, 8, 9 - neat!

#13 - how cool! My kids would love to be at your house right now

#19 - sometimes I feel that way too

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JD Honest Mom. Show JD Honest Mom's posts

So happy to see you here, Cheryl! Yay! Great job with the 20 things - that's a tough thing to do...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rlow. Show rlow's posts

Oh, the dreaded top 20! You did a great job, Cheryl! So enjoy reading your blog.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilMisBusy. Show LilMisBusy's posts

In response to JD Honest Mom's comment:

So happy to see you here, Cheryl! Yay! Great job with the 20 things - that's a tough thing to do...

Thanks JD! Love seeing my friends here.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilMisBusy. Show LilMisBusy's posts

In response to rlow's comment:

Oh, the dreaded top 20! You did a great job, Cheryl! So enjoy reading your blog.....

Thanks, K! I love your blog too!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilMisBusy. Show LilMisBusy's posts

In response to BDCKristi's comment:

#5 - Tell us about the conference! What did you learn? What's your advice to a blogger who is not sure whether to attend one?

#7, 8, 9 - neat!

#13 - how cool! My kids would love to be at your house right now

#19 - sometimes I feel that way too

Thanks Kristi! Here's my write up of the Springboard Conference I attended last fall. http://www.busysincebirth.com/2012/09/springboard-conference-part-two.html It was such a great experience, and I'm hoping to get even more out of BlogHer this summer.

The caterpillars are still in their coccoons, but I was really not expecting them to get as big as they did! I really hope this butterfly thing works out.

As for the cleaning - it's totally my hang up. Read more about that here: http://www.busysincebirth.com/2012/09/cleaning-for-my-sanity.html.